Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Starts B, ends Rant.
    Reputation: B-Rant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    64

    Enchanted Forest Suggestions?

    Anyone have any advice on how to tackle the two stair drop when going down the Enchanted Forest trail at Apex? I just purchased my all-mountain full suspension and I'm still working out the handling differences from my hard tail. I was on the trail the other day and ended up walking down that section b/c I wasn't really sure how to tackle it. Thanks all.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    292
    Let go of the brakes and blast it....

    Actually been a while since I've ridden there, so I think others might be of more help..

  3. #3
    eci
    Reputation: snowskilz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,636
    come into it with some speed. Lift up your front wheel and roll down it with just your rear. Kind of like your wheelie dropping the top. This will keep you from going otb.

    or you can jump off the top and style it out.

  4. #4
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,362
    you can either do it the way snowskilz suggested, or if not comfy with dropping stuff like that yet, you can roll it pretty easily.

    get your weight back, and behind the seat, roll down it nice and straight/controlled. this way will also be easier if you are coming in with less speed, if not comfortable going at it quickly.
    keep your arms and legs loose, even though you are now on a fully. don't assume that the fuly will suck it all up for you.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  5. #5
    Starts B, ends Rant.
    Reputation: B-Rant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    64

    thanks

    I'll practice a bit on the stairs around my apartment. Could be death. Thanks for the help.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    432
    You can totally roll it...just make sure your a$$ is way back and no brakes.

    If a girl can do it then you'll have no problem

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cbrossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,102
    Quote Originally Posted by weimie
    You can totally roll it...just make sure your a$$ is way back and no brakes.

    If a girl can do it then you'll have no problem
    Girls tend to have a lower center of gravity, which in this instance, is an advantage.
    Of course I tend to like my girls with small, lower centers of gravity, but too each his (or her) own.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

  8. #8
    Starts B, ends Rant.
    Reputation: B-Rant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    64

    Thanks everybody

    Sounds like I should just stop being a wuss and ride over it. Thanks for the help everybody. If someone finds the body of a 6'4'' white dude with an orange Yeti on top of him in that area, you'll know it's me.

  9. #9
    Motion activated
    Reputation: Steve71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,939
    IIRC the thing that makes this section of trail difficult to drop is the spacing and the angles. There's not much room to land the first and change direction a bit to line up the second. At least that's how I remember it.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: climbmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    27
    I assume you are talking about the one right before the bridge at the bottom. I agree with the earlier poster that suggested hanging your ass over your back wheel and rolling over it without brakes. When descending something steep, you can NEVER be too far back, but you can always be too far forward. As for all sketchy sections, do your braking before you hit the drop, rocks, etc. Also, once you pick your line, take it and keep your eyes focus ahead where you want to go; not where you don't want to go.

    Good luck!

  11. #11
    eci
    Reputation: snowskilz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    IIRC the thing that makes this section of trail difficult to drop is the spacing and the angles. There's not much room to land the first and change direction a bit to line up the second. At least that's how I remember it.
    correct, your landing spaces is about 2 bike lenghts and then you go approx 90 degrees to the left.

    I prefer the rear tire roll method because it sets you up for the turn. Ive done the jump off it method and found myself not quite ready for the turn

  12. #12
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,237
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    correct, your landing spaces is about 2 bike lenghts and then you go approx 90 degrees to the left.

    I prefer the rear tire roll method because it sets you up for the turn. Ive done the jump off it method and found myself not quite ready for the turn
    Here's what I do. First, I like to have my armor on. I carry a lot of speed and if I need a brake check, I scrub speed using whatever hiker or horsey is available or if they're not around, a long snakey skid. I keep my weight as far back as possible and as the bike approaches the lip, I just step off the back of it and let it go. Then I walk down while Jr. retrieves my bike. Very cool and it always makes it past the video edits!
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  13. #13
    post-ride specialist
    Reputation: icegeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,007
    That stunt look something like this?





  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Rant
    Anyone have any advice on how to tackle the two stair drop when going down the Enchanted Forest trail at Apex? I just purchased my all-mountain full suspension and I'm still working out the handling differences from my hard tail. I was on the trail the other day and ended up walking down that section b/c I wasn't really sure how to tackle it. Thanks all.
    I'm a decent rider, but that move - for some reason - psyched me out for a while. I think it's because of the exposure to the right.

    But one day I was going to try it, and then along comes some amateur, with no helmet and a Walmart bike, and he cleans it. And then a moment later, 2 beginner level chicks do the same. So I said "f**k" that, cleaned it, and it's never been a problem since.

    Two things:
    squeeze the left GRIP as hard as you can (so you don't use the brake)
    put your ass behind the seat
    and roll it

    No sweat.
    Last edited by kirklott; 06-16-2006 at 04:08 PM.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by icegeek
    That stunt look something like this?




    Is this pic from SSV? I get trivia points if correct.

  16. #16
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,237
    Quote Originally Posted by icegeek
    That stunt look something like this?




    You obviously photoshopped that by taking my picture from me smoking Lopes in the DS and overlaying it in that lame pic! Looks like you added a little "fat" filter on my svelte 180-pound frame to boot! You should be ashamed!!!
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  17. #17
    Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Reputation: Godzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,437
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    You obviously photoshopped that by taking my picture from me smoking Lopes in the DS and overlaying it in that lame pic! Looks like you added a little "fat" filter on my svelte 180-pound frame to boot! You should be ashamed!!!

    Wasn't that pic of you taken from the second berm at Sea Otter? The one during the finals were you had Lopes by like 5 seconds?







    Now with more vitriol!

  18. #18
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    Wasn't that pic of you taken from the second berm at Sea Otter? The one during the finals were you had Lopes by like 5 seconds?
    Hell yes! He ended up paying me for the win which is how I'm paying for the new deck and landscaping!
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  19. #19
    post-ride specialist
    Reputation: icegeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,007
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    You obviously photoshopped that by taking my picture from me smoking Lopes in the DS and overlaying it in that lame pic! Looks like you added a little "fat" filter on my svelte 180-pound frame to boot! You should be ashamed!!!

    I am soooo busted. Actually I did have the "slim" setting on, but it was set for a horizontal frame. I keep messing that up.
    Last edited by icegeek; 06-18-2006 at 05:55 AM.

  20. #20
    the cool nerd
    Reputation: sportsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,637
    I'm glad that I didn;t chime in about suspension being optional for the Enchanted Forest.

    Icegeek would probably break out some photochopped photo of me crashing and bleeding, and he'd probably throw the skinny filter in there just to try and hide my 200 lbs girth.....
    "The search for a perfect pint should take lifetime." M.Jackson

    Ride bikes, not goats. Just good advice

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pixelninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,041
    Have a little speed (not too fast though), keep your body low, get your butt waaaay back behind your seat and you'll roll it fine.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

  22. #22
    post-ride specialist
    Reputation: icegeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,007
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsman
    I'm glad that I didn;t chime in about suspension being optional for the Enchanted Forest.

    Icegeek would probably break out some photochopped photo of me crashing and bleeding, and he'd probably throw the skinny filter in there just to try and hide my 200 lbs girth.....
    Yer askin fer it, ain't ya?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •