mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Elevation profile for Horsetooth Mountain Park

Does anyone have any GPS information for the trails in and around Horsetooth Mtn Park?
    Specifically, looking for vertical gain on Tower road.

TIA,

C.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I don't have the detailed information about the climbs in front of me, but Towers is about 1600 feet of elevation gain if you start at the gate and finish at the second set of towers. I will look around tonight to see if I still have more detailed information, but I believe I stored it on my other laptop which has quit. I also have a friend which might have GPS coordinates for most of the trails at Horsetooth and will ask him.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Thanks

Elijah,

That would be great, thanks again.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Elijah
    I don't have the detailed information about the climbs in front of me, but Towers is about 1600 feet of elevation gain if you start at the gate and finish at the second set of towers. I will look around tonight to see if I still have more detailed information, but I believe I stored it on my other laptop which has quit. I also have a friend which might have GPS coordinates for most of the trails at Horsetooth and will ask him.

btx
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsalty
    Does anyone have any GPS information for the trails in and around Horsetooth Mtn Park?
    I have it for the service road on the south side of the park. 5744 - 6849 (~1100ft gain), which was up to that last real steep section with all the loose rock near the top. Keep in mind this was with an Etrex without an altimiter and I don't know exactly how far we were from the top..so, YMMV. I've been told radio towers is about 400 feet more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    btx,

So the section just up from the horsetooth rock trail; after the split of the hiking and service road??

C

Quote Originally Posted by btx
    I have it for the service road on the south side of the park. 5744 - 6849 (~1100ft gain), which was up to that last real steep section with all the loose rock near the top. Keep in mind this was with an Etrex without an altimiter and I don't know exactly how far we were from the top..so, YMMV. I've been told radio towers is about 400 feet more.

Bad Case of the Mondays

TIA,

C.
    I've got a couple GPS and Polar elevation curves from Horsetooth I can dig up tonight.

I know I have at least one that goes up to the top of towers.

Edit - Found one in an old post:

The Route: Towers-Stout--Carey Spgs-Towers-Westridge-Wathen-Herrington-Stout-Towers

The Graph:
    Last edited by Jdub; 06-12-2006 at 01:41 PM.

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    I've got a couple GPS and Polar elevation curves from Horsetooth I can dig up tonight.

I know I have at least one that goes up to the top of towers.

Edit - Found one in an old post:

The Route: Towers-Stout--Carey Spgs-Towers-Westridge-Wathen-Herrington-Stout-Towers

Hey J, that seems like a few hundred too many as far as elevation gain. I am going off of a topo

I get somewhere around 5600-7120 from the bottom of Towers to the top.
    I am not sure how accurate this is; do you think your gps is more accurate?

btx
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    btx,

So the section just up from the horsetooth rock trail; after the split of the hiking and service road??

C
    Yeah, I'm still not super familiar with the layout up there (I'm fairly new to HTMP), but I think it was just a tad shy of the turnoff to wathen.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    Hey J, that seems like a few hundred too many as far as elevation gain. I am going off of a topo

I get somewhere around 5600-7120 from the bottom of Towers to the top.
    I am not sure how accurate this is; do you think your gps is more accurate?
    The GPS is typically pretty accurate, but can be thrown off. Here is a line from the County website:
    "Elevations vary from 5,430 feet at Horsetooth Reservoir to 7,255 feet at the top of Horsetooth Rock."

My graph starts at the new lot by the Res., so 5430 looks about right from the graph. And you are stating 7120 at the top, which also appears about right to me from the graph I posted.

So it looks like both sources are pretty close to the same up top at Towers with elevation around 7100ft.

So you are thinking that the 5400ft starting point from my graph is a too low?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

fair enough

I understand. Thanks for the info.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by btx
    Yeah, I'm still not super familiar with the layout up there (I'm fairly new to HTMP), but I think it was just a tad shy of the turnoff to wathen.

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    The GPS is typically pretty accurate, but can be thrown off. Here is a line from the County website:
    "Elevations vary from 5,430 feet at Horsetooth Reservoir to 7,255 feet at the top of Horsetooth Rock."

My graph starts at the new lot by the Res., so 5430 looks about right from the graph. And you are stating 7120 at the top, which also appears about right to me from the graph I posted.

So it looks like both sources are pretty close to the same up top at Towers with elevation around 7100ft.

So you are thinking that the 5400ft starting point from my graph is a too low?

Yeah. I was thinking that the bottom was about 5600'. No biggie, in fact yours is better. Means I climbed more this weekend.

slow
    Feels steeper than this makes it look
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

So about 1600' to the second towers?

sgltrak,
    Do you have any other vertical data points off Tower road, (ie: S. Creek Herrington, Loggers, and Stout)?

Just trying to get a rough estimate of vertical on a multi trail loop.

TIA,

C.

Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    Feels steeper than this makes it look

slow
    Closest estimate I have of vertical elevation points on the intersecting trails with the Towers road climb are:
    Nomad 5500'
    Stout 5900'
    Loggers 6250'
    Herrington 6400'
    Carey Springs 6500'
    Spring Creek / Mill Creek 6950'
    Westridge 6900'

Here are a couple of other ride profiles:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Perfect.............

sgltrak,

Exactly what I needed, many thanks.
    Odd that the S. Creek turn is higher elevation than Westridge.
    I guess you drop a shade after that left turn up from the S Crk/Mill intersection.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    Closest estimate I have of vertical elevation points on the intersecting trails with the Towers road climb are:
    Nomad 5500'
    Stout 5900'
    Loggers 6250'
    Herrington 6400'
    Carey Springs 6500'
    Spring Creek / Mill Creek 6950'
    Westridge 6900'

Here are a couple of other ride profiles: