Almost Human
    Sep 2007

El Paso County Parks Budget Cuts - closing, lay-offs and sale of park property

The below is taken from the Trails and Open Space Coalition website.
    http://trailsandopenspaces.org/

Topic: Public Comments on Parks Budget Cuts.

Where/When: Board of County Commissioners Work Session, Tuesday, May 27, 2008, 9:00 am, 27 E. Vermijo, 3rd Floor.

The BOCC will take public comments on potential budget cuts for 2008 at this work session. As we all know, the county is facing a severe budget deficit. Part of its solution will severely impact the county parks department. This is your opportunity to show up and express your opinion on the proposed cuts.

Essentially, the proposal will zero out the general fund support for parks leaving the department to survive only on a small lottery allocation and developer fees. This would save approximately $560,000. In 2003, the department was operating with a $2.3M general fund budget.

Here are the proposed cuts:

Lay off 5 general fund full time staff members ($168,000), close Bear Creek and Fountain Creek Nature Centers including laying off 5 full time staff members ($170,000), cancelling all landscape contracts and trying to do the work internally ($67,000), further reducing operations by $155,000, laying off 5 lottery full time staff members ($110,000 - not part of the $560,000).

They have also been asked to review the potential sale of park property (possibly the land where the new short track XC course was just finished - UT).

We have a spectacular county park system used by thousands of residents and visitors. Losing this number of employees will take away years of experience that cannot be replaced. The department will become a maintenance only department operating in essentially a caretaker operation. Is this what we want? No.

If you can't come, please contact your county commissioner below.

27 E. Vermijo Ave.
    Colorado Springs, CO 80903
    719 520 7276
    719 520 6397 fax

El Paso County Commissioners:

Wayne Williams, District 1
    waynewilliams@frii.com

Amy Lathen, District 2
    520-6412
    amylathen@elpasoco.com

Sallie Clark, District 3
    sallieclark@elpasoco.com

Dennis Hisey, District 4
    dennishisey@elpasoco.com

Jim Bensberg, District 5
    jimbensberg@elpasoco.com

Going, Going, Gonzo
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail
    (possibly the land where the new short track XC course was just finished - UT).
    Is that the Sand Creek course?

=Thanks
    Last edited by insect_o_man; 05-26-2008 at 02:18 PM.
    Signature? I don't need no stinking signature.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    yes, but the races will happen well in advance of any land sale.

Going, Going, Gonzo
    Is El Paso County upside down in its bonds; the same position other municipalities are finding themselves in?
    "Soaring interest rates:
    In February, the county's interest rate soared to as much as 10 percent, up from 3 percent just weeks earlier. The swaps have now compounded the risk that Jefferson County will file for bankruptcy as it faces its worst financial crisis since it was founded in 1819.

The same subprime chaos that has felled chief executive officers on Wall Street and forced banks to write off $322 billion has plowed into Jefferson County and other municipalities. That means local officials now have to pay to banks money that otherwise might have been used to build schools, hospitals or public housing."
    http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/a...enewsid=105304
    Same Ol' Same Ol'...
    [SIZE=2]"The money powers prey upon the nation in times of peace and conspire
    against it in times of adversity. It is more despotic than a monarchy, more insolent than autocracy and more selfish than a bureaucracy. It denounces, as public enemies, all who question its methods or throw light upon its crimes. I have two great enemies, the Southern Army in front of me and the bankers in the rear. Of the two, the one at the rear is my greatest foe."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]-- President Abraham Lincoln- [/SIZE][SIZE=2]letter to William Elkins, Nov 21, 1864[/SIZE]

The appetite of tyranny always feeds upon the tyranny of the appetite.

Veritas Honor!
    Last edited by insect_o_man; 05-27-2008 at 07:28 AM.
    Signature? I don't need no stinking signature.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The county is broke (so is the city) but I think they would face a lynch mob if they try to sell off any parks. That said it is good to reply to the commisioners urging them to preserve the land. They will cut maintenace so if it rains this Summer the trails will suffer.

EDIT: insect o man, I think it is more a case of El Paso Counties conservative taxes are bad mindset causing the shortages. Add lowered sales tax revenues to the mix and BAM!

mtbr member
    well this is a ****. part of the reason i moved here was because of all the parks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    saw it on the news just now. Said they have no choice and they are going to make the final decision on Monday. They seem to be cutting anything involves education and the outdoors. They are even cutting 4H.