Thread: egg beater sl ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

egg beater sl ?

Just getting back into biking and I am looking for new pedals.

Any opinion on the egg beater sl pedals by crank brothers?

I enjoy XC but will be riding a lot of the technical stuff here in the morrison area.

thanks for any fead back.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by c1gary

I enjoy XC but will be riding a lot of the technical stuff here in the morrison area.

I run egg sls on a couple of my bikes. They have pros/cons just like most pedals

Pros:
    Easiest in/out engagement IMO
    clean mud better than anyone other pedal I've tried
    light

Cons:
    Egg-jector syndrome when you hit a rock with the bottom of the pedal and it ejects your foot
    standard cleats wear pretty quickly, premium cleats are a bit longer lasting
    not much platform, tough to ride floating on the pedal and not clipped in

I've moved to Mallets on my Niner SS so I can run normal shoes when I'm riding around town, and I tend to think for technical riding they are the better choice. I'd check out Time pedals as well, lots of people I ride with love them but like Eggies they'll have pros and cons.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Shimano 647s... I'm not a fan of cb.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/drivetrain/p...78_135crx.aspx

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    Frogs here, for the last 10 years. On both MTB and roadie. Wouldn't have anything else!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Time ATACs.

Old, stale, negative
    I have the SLs on my main rig and have for 3 seasons with no issues. But, be warned that if you go with the Cs or other lower end CB padels, they will break, fall apart, fail in a short will if ridden on technical terrain. That said, I love the SLs and want to try the 2ti next.

A Guy Who is Going Places
    Quote Originally Posted by c1gary

Though it is certainly not fashionable to say so, I am a fan of the Shimanos. Though I crank mine all the way to the stiffest setting, I like the ability to adjust spring tension. I tried the CBs several times and never warmed up to the vague release point.
    http://www.anthonysloan.com

Isaiah 15:5

There are many good bike companies out there, and I work for one of them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I used egg beaters for a long time but eventually gave up on them. The grease wears out really fast, then the pedals start giving a little kick back on every stroke. They have these grease ports on the end of the spindle, but they switched to plastic covers on those for the SL (I had an older model before that were metal). Mine were in there so tight from the factory that the plastic stripped when I tried to take them out. I eventually resorted to taking a power drill to the plastic so I could get some grease in there.

Also, the pedal body eventually loosens from the spindle over time and gets some play side to side. You can then buy replacement parts and rebuild them, but I've never had anything like this happen with other pedals over years of use so why bother. The bottom line is that these things just don't stand up over time as well as other pedals. For the rocky stuff around Morrison, I'd say these are way too fragile.

Another issue is right in the name. If your pedal hits your shin, do you really want it to be in the shape of an egg beater?

I've tried Time as well, they were ok but not great. I finally settled on the Shimano XTR, they are the best XC pedal out there IMO. I've had no problems with them whatsoever, they are very solid, reliable pedals. They can handle getting bashed around on rocky trails with no problems, and require basically zero maintenance (I occasionally lube the springs, thats it). If you look around you can find them for not too much more than the SL (like here). A little heavier then the SL (325g vs 266g) but well worth it for the durability.
    Last edited by zapucky; 08-20-2008 at 08:54 AM.

lucky enough
    I love egg beaters. They have good free float. I have them on both my road and mountain bikes. Easy to clip in and out. I've never had any issues at all.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak
    Easy to clip in and out
    IMO, fragility (if that's a real word) aside, they're too easy to clip out of and the small point of contact is pretty annoying after an hour or two.

edit: I ride Sidi Dragons and Dom 5's which are relatively stiff but don't have as much of a pressure point issue with the times as I did with the CB's

I guess that's why I like me some Time pedals. Yeah, they're heavier, harder to get into and out of (my wife can't get into them) but last I checked the reason to have them in the first place was to be clipped in... The "Z" pedals or whatever they're called are slightly lighter than the good old red shimano DX and the cleats last pretty well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm up to my third pair of eggbeaters in about 5 yrs...but I still prefer them over other brands for the float, the mud-shedding, and the ease of getting in. I had shimano before CB and didn't like having to clean out the cleats all the time.

I simply wore out the first set, ordered the rebuild kit but the spindle bolt was stripped so I stuffed them away to try and repair later. The second pair I tried to go cheaper (bought the Cs) and cracked both wings off within about a month of owning them by hitting a rock. Big difference in construction between the Cs and the SLs. The wings on the Cs are bent and welded to the body while the SLs are cast with the body.

CB Cleats only last me about a year.

They do have good customer service though. CB has warrantied both pairs and I just shipped them in to get fixed/replaced. I think I'll save the Cs for the road bike when they return.

I've never had issues with the small point of contact and I've spent many long days on them.

<100%
    My wife rides them. They are fragile, light, great in mud, and require frequent maintenance. Crank Brothers is AWESOME about warranty.

I use SPD's...959's, 646's etc on all my road and MTB's. VERY durable. Never any problems. Never had a reason to inquire about the warranty.