Heads up Flyboy!!

Early June...where to go

My wife and kids are flying to San Fran on June 4th to see my inlaws so I have a little time to go somewhere new a few hours away. Looking within the 3-4 hour drive of Golden area...Starting Friday June 5th around 1pm till Sunday when I need to be home by 2pm to pick my family up from the airport.

so my plan is to get to where I'm going Friday afternoon around 6 or so...ride for 3 hours or so...Get up at dawn on Saturday and ride all day...Sunday dawn again and ride till 10-11am and come home.

My original plan was to hit Fruita but I won't lie to you the heat and exposure to the sun would put a hurtin on me. I'm used to riding in the Humid, forest of the NC mountains and even the end of my Tour de Mines route was putting a hurting on me when I got to the sun drenched sections of Empire Pass.

So in light of that I'm thinking of hitting Salida. I know the Crest probably will not be open yet but I hear there are many cool rides in the area and even if a little sun exposed it'll still be cooler then Fruita. Any other towns I should consider or do you have a must do for Salida?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Gunnison is nice this time of year. Lower stuff in the Butte might be open too.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Gunnison is nice this time of year. Lower stuff in the Butte might be open too.
    Thought about it but I may be going there in July for the Crested Butte Classic 100
    Last edited by mountaingoatepics; 05-20-2009 at 09:34 AM.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    You can't visit the Gunnison Valley too many times.

lone rider
    Salida Bear Creek,Silver Creek sections of Rainbow Trail. Midland I think that's the name should be open. Brown's Creek maybe. I haven't heard.
    Think I'm going to check out Glade Park and Lands End. There's some new trails in that direction that are calling me. Lots of water and snow at Lands end last week. Kannah Creek soon! Glenwood or Rifle? never ridden there but I'm hearing good things.

friend of Apex
    Curt Gowdy/ Happy Jack near Laramie

It might be on the warm side depending on weather... Its at 8 - 10K feet.
    I am like you, I find it hard to ride when its above 75 degrees
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Curt Gowdy is a must, you'll be there in 2hours from Golden..too much fun not to.