Singletrack Addict!!!

Earliest Trails conditions will be good..planning vacation

I'm planning a trip and near June, but what is the earliest majority of trails will be in near to perfect conditions? If I decide to still go in June, what should I hit for fast, flowy and technical singletracks? What should I expect weather wise?

skillz to pay billz
    We have more than average snow pack in the high country currently. Maybe start by telling us where you would like to go. The front range should be good as will fruita and moab(although hot). Higher elevations are an unknown at this point.
    Last edited by nOOby; 02-20-2008 at 11:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Higher elevations- prob in June but it depends on how much more it snows over the next month or so. As nOOby said, the FR, Fruita, Moab, and possibly Durango will be good to go.

The higher elevations hold the best riding so keep an eye on the conditions in June.

Singletrack Daydreamer
    June is pretty hot for Moab and Fruita, IMHO.

By early June:
    Buffalo Creek will definitely be open and dry.
    Front Range stuff will definitely be open and dry.
    Lower stuff at Winter Park will likely be open, but still wet (Frasier side).
    Lower stuff in Summit County will be starting to open, but wet and a few remaining snow drifts.
    Most lower stuff in Vail will be open, but still wet.

By the third or fourth week in June:
    Most of Summit County, Vail, and Winter Park will be open, but expect some mud and the occasional remaining snow drift in the shadows.

By July 4th:
    Pretty much everything statewide is open and in varying degrees of dryness.
    Train 'til you puke. Cheat to win. Party like a rockstar. We miss you, Jan!

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Thanks for the info guys.. So July is my best bet for all around riding.... I'm also considering North Carolina, but seems it's about the same conditions...

Any recommendations for a 11 day trip based on my preferences above?

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    The last two years I have ridden Crested Butte on the Memorial day weekend. Some trails like 401 and Doctor Park are not "open" but there is still plenty of great riding to be had and it is a perfect time to ride 401 as an out and back.

Saturday Memorial Day Weekend 2007
    Sunday, Memorial Day weekend 2007

However, this year seems to be a significantly heavier snow season so I am not thinking Crested Butte will be an option that early.

You could easily do a trip along the lines of:
    - Front Range
    - Fort Collins Poudre Canyon and surroundings
    - Gunnison (hartman rocks)
    - Crested Butte (401 out & back, Deadmans out and back from Taylor river side)

and if it was cool/overcast duck over to Fruita for a day or so.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    The last two years I have ridden Crested Butte on the Memorial day weekend. Some trails like 401 and Doctor Park are not "open" but there is still plenty of great riding to be had and it is a perfect time to ride 401 as an out and back.

However, this year seems to be a significantly heavier snow season so I am not thinking Crested Butte will be an option that early.
    The past 2 years saw terrible drought in the state, particularly in the SW quarter. This winter roofs are collapsing under the weight of 25-35' of snow...... so far.

This year is certainly an EPIC and we haven't even gotten to the 'Snowy Months". If things continue the way they are going, the High country may not open up until Aug.

skillz to pay billz
    sweet, a one month season in the high country!

Singletrack Daydreamer
    Regarding fast, flowy singletrack, I'd say spread the love around if you're going to be here for 11 days.

Start in Denver so you can acclimatize for the first couple days and hit some of the front range singletrack. Lair of the Bear and Elk Meadows are within 30 minutes drive of the west side of town and not overly strenuous, but offer better flow than a lot of stuff close to town (most front range stuff is straight up and straight down without much flow). You could also ride Buffalo Creek, just 50 minutes southwest of Denver and on your way south toward destinations like Crested Butte. Buffalo Creek, in my opinion, is some of the sweetest, flowy singletrack in the world. You could make two days of it, but if you want to hit more variety, at least hit it for a day.

I've only ridden Crested Butte a couple times (plan to change that this summer), so I'm not the expert on the area. It has a great reputation for epic rides.

Winter Park offers hundreds of miles of trails, many with outstanding flow (Tipperary, Flume, Long Trail, Chainsaw, just to name a few). Personally, I'd put that toward the top of my list, too.

Summit County (Breckenridge & Frisco area) offer some very tender morsels, like the Colorado trail east toward Kenosha. Riding Breck toward Kenosha is well worth doing, as the descents are world class. There's a very popular shuttle ride from the summit of Kenosha Pass to Breckenridge that's seriously epic, but pretty hard on someone from the flat lands (climbs over 4,000' and summits over 12,000' in about 35 miles). Searle Pass is absolutely precious, but again, high altitude and lots of climbing. Closer to town there's the Peaks trail, but in wet years, it can be very rooty, muddy and a lot of work.

Snowmass & Aspen have a lot to offer, but the hotels are spendy. You're better off staying in Glenwood Springs and soaking in the hot springs in the evenings and driving the 60-90 minutes to the trailhead than trying to stay in Aspen or Snowmass.

I know Vail has a lot more to offer than I've ridden, but couldn't give you the details.

Think about doing a loop starting from Denver, heading south hitting Buff Creek, then continuing toward Crested Butte, coming up to Snowmass (there's a pass that's only open in the summer that short cuts between the Butte and Hwy 82, but I can't think of the name), then coming back east hitting Vail, Summit County and Winter Park.
    Train 'til you puke. Cheat to win. Party like a rockstar. We miss you, Jan!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Go to Crested Butte in mid-July. Spend all 11 days there.

mtbr member
    July 4 is frequently too early for Monarch Crest, which I consider to be one of the few "signature" trails in CO (assuming the trail closures don't happen in the future). Not necessarily the best (though pretty damn good in this case), but kinda like Slickrock, something you just gotta do.

I'll also say that depending upon how much you like to ride in a day, you could do a lot worse than to take SkaredShtles's's's suggestion. (The CB classic does cover pretty much everything in a day, eh? ;-D)