mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Eagle, Edwards, Gypsum ride suggestions

I'm going to be at Sylvan Lake State Park in mid July and I'm looking for some suggestions for MTB rides in the area. I know there's a good amount of forest roads but I don't know about any singletrack. I'm a racer in the middle of race season so camping with the family is a good excuse to train at altitude without the extra drive time from the metro area. What's good near Eagle, Edwards, and Gypsum?

banned
    I suggest you buy the Latitude 40 map for the area.

Colorado

mtbr member

Free maps for Eagle trails here...

...along with trail descriptions:

http://www.eaglecounty.us/Trails/Maps/

There's individual rides marked on this page and a big overview map under the "Eagle-Gypsum Mountain Bike Trails" link.

I checked out 2 rides 2 weeks ago:
    1. From Elementary School... Up Tick Alley (confusing to get to IMO due to many trails/options not marked on map and a lack of trail markers) -> down World's Greatest.

World's Greatest was a brake burner (for me) but the lower part (Elmers) was fun and flow-y.

2. On the East side of town.... Up Boneyard all the way -> Down Redneck. Super fun. Great steady but mellow climb and much fun to be had on the down. The local trail crew built some brand new berms towards the lower part of Redneck.

By the overview map, there's obviously loads of miles to be had in Eagle....

Have fun!
    Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for linking the eagle county trail maps - those are great! I'll also consider picking up a Latitude 40 map. I appreciate all the help!

mtbr member
    I'm new to the area, staying in Avon temporarily. I rode Abram's Ridge and then World's Greatest last week in Eagle. Pretty fun trail. Rode up Boneyard down Redneck this afternoon. Great little climb up and ripping fast downhill. Great loop that can be done in under an hour. If you make it over to Vail, the North Trail is pretty fun. Lots of climbing but also great downhills and great views. I've been looking around for some type of off road trail that's semi-flat to rolling, ie not big climb up then downhill, for training purposes on easy days but haven't found any yet. Been sticking to the road/bike path for those days.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    chuckie33 - Most trails in Avon/Vail have a big climb-big descend profile. Some rides in the Eagle Ranch area are far less steep overall so are closer to a rolling trail. There are a few trailheads but the Arroyo Dr. has a nice parking lot and several loops are available from there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by el siege View Post
    chuckie33 - Most trails in Avon/Vail have a big climb-big descend profile. Some rides in the Eagle Ranch area are far less steep overall so are closer to a rolling trail. There are a few trailheads but the Arroyo Dr. has a nice parking lot and several loops are available from there.
    Thanks for the info. I've noticed the big climb/big descent theme around here. Don't get me wrong, I love those rides and the riding around here in general. Great climbs and beautiful scenery. I like the big climbs for training as well but some days after big rides, my training plan calls for 1-2 hours of easy pedaling on a rolling or flat trail off road. I'll check out the Eagle Ranch area. I read somewhere else they were mellow comparatively. Also what about Gitalong Road or the Village Road trail, both on Vail Mountain? I heard they were pretty mellow as in very gradual climbs.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie33 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I've noticed the big climb/big descent theme around here. Don't get me wrong, I love those rides and the riding around here in general. Great climbs and beautiful scenery. I like the big climbs for training as well but some days after big rides, my training plan calls for 1-2 hours of easy pedaling on a rolling or flat trail off road. I'll check out the Eagle Ranch area. I read somewhere else they were mellow comparatively. Also what about Gitalong Road or the Village Road trail, both on Vail Mountain? I heard they were pretty mellow as in very gradual climbs.
    Gitalong and Village road mellow? Not really. But it really depends on your idea of mellow. The roads are smooth and definitely not technical. But grades are not necessarily mellow.
    You climb and climb and climb. I prefer Gitalong to Village Rd because there tends to be less vehicle traffic. It take about 8 miles on Village road to climb about 2200'. Less distance on Gitalong. That isn't "rolling" IMO.

I would suggest going to the 4th of July Eagle Ranch area and ride up second gulch, turn around and ride back down the road, take a right and head over to the "Riddle" trail. Maybe do a couple laps on Riddle.

That's about as mellow as you will get in Eagle county.

A good long ride is to ride up Red Sandstone road to Red and White road and get on the Buffer Creek trail which intersects the North Trail. 16 miles ish.

Another great long ride is to ride up Village Road and merge onto Mill Creek road all the way to the Benchmark. It's about 3300' in 10 miles. Then you can descend the singletrack to the 2 Elk trail all the way to Minturn or ride along the ridge to 2 Elk and down any one of the trails on the front of the mountain. I did it at night last fall and it was nice.