Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    A guy on a bike Moderator
    Reputation: TobyGadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    913

    Durango to Four Corners?

    Has anyone ridden much in the Four Corners region? I'm wondering if it would possible to ride from Durango to the Four Corners Monument. Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    44
    Off road not so much. The monument is on reservation land and is as far as I know closed except the access road to the monument itself to non tribe members. The access road to the actual monument is open and you could do a road/gravel dirt ride to it.

  3. #3
    A guy on a bike Moderator
    Reputation: TobyGadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by pugslybell View Post
    Off road not so much. The monument is on reservation land and is as far as I know closed except the access road to the monument itself to non tribe members. The access road to the actual monument is open and you could do a road/gravel dirt ride to it.
    Yeah, I figured that would be the case for the last few miles. But I was hoping that there would be trails and/or dirt from Durango to Black Mountain or something. Even to Mancos would be good!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    44
    There is dirt most of the way to mancos. You would go the reverse of kenebec to town and then take some forest roads down out of the laplatas to 160. The kenebec to town singletrack then forest service road would get basically to hesperus. That is a hard day in and of itself. There is some dirt roads you could take but its not alot of public access heading west out of Durango in terms of singletrack. You can link I think kenebec to maybe calico trail and or sharks tooth section but thats two big days that doesnt really get you too much further towards cortez/ 4 corners. Once you get towards mancos cortez you start getting into alot of tribal land. I think its the ute mountain utes on that side and then checkerboard navjo after that. Just not alot of public owned land over that way.

  5. #5
    A guy on a bike Moderator
    Reputation: TobyGadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by pugslybell View Post
    There is dirt most of the way to mancos. You would go the reverse of kenebec to town and then take some forest roads down out of the laplatas to 160. The kenebec to town singletrack then forest service road would get basically to hesperus. That is a hard day in and of itself. There is some dirt roads you could take but its not alot of public access heading west out of Durango in terms of singletrack. You can link I think kenebec to maybe calico trail and or sharks tooth section but thats two big days that doesnt really get you too much further towards cortez/ 4 corners.
    Super, thanks! I'm going to check this out.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    44
    I was wrong on calico that goes back north north east towards dolores. Sharks tooth I think will get you closer to mancos on dirt. Lots of 4 wheel and forest service options going down from the la platas to mancos but big void in anything after that.

  7. #7
    A guy on a bike Moderator
    Reputation: TobyGadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by pugslybell View Post
    I was wrong on calico that goes back north north east towards dolores. Sharks tooth I think will get you closer to mancos on dirt. Lots of 4 wheel and forest service options going down from the la platas to mancos but big void in anything after that.
    I asked Google Maps to give me a walking route from Durango to Four Corners. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=D...w&mra=ltm&z=18
    Looks like a lot of dirt, but unfortunately Google doesn't know about trails. Ever ridden any of those roads?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    44
    Sadly no. So much good singletrack for the 12 years I lived in town never any reason to ride those roads. Some fun riding in Cortez but not really long linked stuff. Any particualr reason for the 4 corners jaunt? Best few days you can have on a bike are silverton to durango on the colorado trail. Plenty of place for non riding friends and family to camp overnight along that stretch that are accessed from easy forest service roads that a passanger car could handle. I would ride that and then just do the 60's griswald thing and drive to the 4 corners mounment. It would kill me to be right at some of the best mountain biking in the world and do some dirt road slog. That area is pretty but not spectacular. Its neither the La platas and San jauns or the full on Edward abbey desert experience of Moab and Sedona.

  9. #9
    A guy on a bike Moderator
    Reputation: TobyGadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by pugslybell View Post
    Sadly no. So much good singletrack for the 12 years I lived in town never any reason to ride those roads. Some fun riding in Cortez but not really long linked stuff. Any particualr reason for the 4 corners jaunt? Best few days you can have on a bike are silverton to durango on the colorado trail. Plenty of place for non riding friends and family to camp overnight along that stretch that are accessed from easy forest service roads that a passanger car could handle. I would ride that and then just do the 60's griswald thing and drive to the 4 corners mounment. It would kill me to be right at some of the best mountain biking in the world and do some dirt road slog. That area is pretty but not spectacular. Its neither the La platas and San jauns or the full on Edward abbey desert experience of Moab and Sedona.
    Yeah, I wouldn't ride dirt roads if I lived in Durango either!

    So, why am I trying to ride to the Four Corners? Well, I've been dreaming of a big project for a couple of years, and I'm finally trying to see if I can put it together. I've raced the Colorado Trail Race three times (2 finishes,1 failure), and I was thinking of ways to make it more challenging. Specifically, I was thinking of a "Cross Colorado" route, that would go diagonally across the entire state, from the NE corner to the SW corner. It would include the Colorado Trail, but also the eastern plains and the desert southwest. A full cross-section of Colorado: Plains, mountains, and desert!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    44
    Ah. That would be cool. Instead of finishing in durango on the Colorado trail just drop down the back side of the lps into mancos. From mancos over the alternate directions would work just not for me I would rather spend those miles doing other things

  11. #11
    Bad Andy!
    Reputation: GIANTkiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    I've raced the Colorado Trail Race three times (2 finishes,1 chalk it up to experience), and I was thinking of ways to make it more challenging.
    FIFY.
    IMHO, no CTR attempt is a failure!!
    Keep us posted on this excursion!

  12. #12
    A guy on a bike Moderator
    Reputation: TobyGadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by GIANTkiller View Post
    FIFY.
    IMHO, no CTR attempt is a failure!!!
    Executing an impromptu over-the-bars flip into a pile of freshly cut logs sure FELT like a failure! But considering that all I did was bang up my knees (too much swelling & pain to keep riding, but nothing broken), I guess it could have been a far more spectacular failure!

  13. #13
    Bad Andy!
    Reputation: GIANTkiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    Executing an impromptu over-the-bars flip into a pile of freshly cut logs sure FELT like a failure! But considering that all I did was bang up my knees (too much swelling & pain to keep riding, but nothing broken), I guess it could have been a far more spectacular failure!
    At least it was an impromptu OTB!


  14. #14
    A guy on a bike Moderator
    Reputation: TobyGadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by GIANTkiller View Post
    At least it was an impromptu OTB!

    Usually these things are easier to see coming, especially since I ride very conservatively on the CTR (finishing is good, crashing is bad). But I broke my chain while standing, and pitched off of the downhill side of a steep side grade. When I look at pictures that I took of my landing zone, I still can't believe that I didn't break something bigger than my ego!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •