mtbr member

Dude!! WTF... I can't get these f@#$ing tires on!!??

Besides being a complete idiot why the fack can't I get these specialized captain control tires on my mavic crossmax rims? I seriously cannot get these shitsters to fit. Anybody? Running standard tube+tire on UST rims, less hassle to me and it's worked before with WTB tires.
    Last edited by blugrs71; 05-25-2009 at 04:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Dumb ? #1: Did you get the right size tire?
    Dumb ? # 2: Have you tried soaking the tire in soapy water?

mtbr member
    I had problems with my front maxxis on my 819 and I was running it tubeless.
    I had to get my buddy to help me roll it over the rim.
    I'm not sure why some tires fit tighter than others, but I'm screwed if I ever get a flat on the trail and have to do it by myself

mtbr member
    Strike Captain Control and replace with Spclzd Eskar 26X2.3.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonFox
    Dumb ? #1: Did you get the right size tire?
    Dumb ? # 2: Have you tried soaking the tire in soapy water?
    26" check.
    Negative. I've never had to do that before... road or mountain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'd say leave them in the sun for a few minutes but...

Seriously, I've put tires in the dryer on med/low a few times and that has helped.

Oh, So Interesting!
    If the tire sits up against the side of the rim, you won't be able to get it on. Make sure the tire's bead is sitting in the middle of the rim (in the low area) before you try to get the last part of the tire over the edge of the rim. This can be an issue with some tires and/or rims.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    The rim's diameter is usually smaller at the center of the rim than where the bead seats.

Start opposite the valve stem and push the tire bead to the center of the rim. In one motion use both hands (away from each other) following the tire around as far as you can gathering up all the extra slack (end at the valve stem). Then just roll the tire over. This works for me 90% of the time without tire levers. no guarantee on 4 ply Intense DH tires. Theory is the same putting tires on and off.

A warm tire is easier to work with.

Sorry if this theory is obvious, but some never figure it out.
    Last edited by FunkMaster; 05-25-2009 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Looks like Dave gets it, and types faster :)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You know how tire levers work 99% of the time? Some tires and some rims, well, tire levers just flat out don't work. It takes a technique that I never ever had to do until I got (fill in the blank tires and rims) and when I asked around, others told me to "lose the tire levers, here's how" like there's this alternative universe of tire changing that I never had to enter. Anyhoo...

You need to pull the tire onto the rim, forget the tire levers. Pull and pull and pull (folding the tire over the rim) until you get one bead over the side of the rim. Then, as you're pulling pulling pulling to get the other bead over make sure the bead that's on stays centered in the rim. Keep checking that it's in the center and pull (folding over) and pull and pull. Sounds ridiculous when, if your experience has always been to be to use tire levers and tires just pop on no big deal, but that's what it took for me to get WTBs onto a set of Azonic Outlaws (actually Performance Locos, same rim).

When the mechanic at the shop I go to demonstrated I exclaimed incredulously "THAT'S how you do it?" and he looked at me like I didn't know anything. "How do you change tires, he asked? Tire levers?" Sweat was pouring off his face from the effort and I thought, if I ever get a flat in the boonies I'm in big trouble. I now only have Mavic rims (717, 719 and 521) and I use tire levers, just like before. My WTBs almost go on by themselves.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    May 2006
    What works well for me is:
    Start the tire onto the rim laying it flat into your lap. Work the tire onto the onto the rim equally at both sides starting from your lap towards the top. Once you get towards the top, I fold my torso to my lap to hold the tire in place while working (folding) the hardest and last part at the top center over the rim with both hands. I used to use tire levers untill someone showed me this method, and it works really well. Some tires/rime combos are just plain harder but this will work for sure as long as you have the hand strength.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Heathen
    What everyone else said, soap the tires, make sure the tire is in center of the rim. Most tires will mount by hand, no levers required.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Funny to see this topic. I struggled and struggled to get a Bonty XDX TLR tire onto my Stan's arch 29er rim for the Gunnison Growler last week. Typically I can most most any tire by hand and without levers, but this sucker took the cake. I struggled for a good 15 minutes and almost gave up. I prayed I didn't flat on the trail, I would've been screwed.
    -jon

friend of Apex
    Inquiring minds want to know, did you get the tire on, Blugrs
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Living the High Life
    Man, you gotta try a UST DH tire on a 823 if you love putting a XC tire on a 819
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    Man, you gotta try a UST DH tire on a 823 if you love putting a XC tire on a 819
    What are you talking about? Got some Minions on a DeeMax w/ no issues.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    What are you talking about? Got some Minions on a DeeMax w/ no issues.
    I guess I'm thinking more of a standard wire bead DH tire. If you think they're just as easy to put on as an XC tire you must have fingers of steel.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    Ha ha, I just did exactly that over the weekend. You're not joking, that was rough.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I have had to soak some tires in hot water for 5 minutes or so a couple times during the winter when I've left tires in my cold basement. I have a wash sink out in my garage and I just pour hot water on them, let them soak and then throw them on.

Hot lets them stretch and the small leftover water helps them glide on a bit too.

mtbr member
    Fighting with tire levers has led to me focking up my fingernails and knucles something awful on many occasions. Soapy water works for me on my Ryno Lite rims. They are mother f#@$kers to say the least, no matter what tire i try to put on. I have both a set of street tires, and Performance Fire XC somethings, and they are both hell to get on. Soapy water works for me when working on these.

I also have a set of Mavic XM819 wheels, and Kenda Nevegals UST tires, they went on with a little work, but no significant issues.

mtbr member
    The worse rims ever to try to slap on tires: WTB's version of the 321/729 Laserdisc DH! You'll want to find and skullf*@k the engineer that designed this rim!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

DenverDH'er
    Tons of soapy water, and lots of time. TONS of SOAPY water man.