View Poll Results: Duct Tape?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never been caught without it! (duh?)

12 30.00%
  • Very essential, but have been without a time or 2.

14 35.00%
  • Have it with me sometimes.

11 27.50%
  • Duct tape??!! What is??!! (Fail - Probably loss of McGruber card and definite loss of man card)

3 7.50%

Thread: Duct tape

Bad Andy!

Duct tape

Been awhile for a poll.

MTB relation = MTBs are fun. I like them a lot.

Just talked to a good buddy and well known member of this forum.
    He had need for duct tape but didn't have any with him.

Poll is regarding cars, bikes and home.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Gorilla tape >> duct tape, but I still have some duct tape stashed around for emergencies. I actually had duct tape save my bacon last weekend on a backpacking trip... Right boot started delam'ing at the toe and I had to use some almost 20 year-old duct tape to keep it together enough to get me back to the car.

mtbr member
    I have found electrical tape works better for on-trail bike repairs. But, I always have duct tape in my camping vehicle/house just in case.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I keep cosmic orange tie dyed duct tape in my trunk and an healthy amount of it wrapped around my pump. I don't need it that often, but I love to have it when I do need it!

The 5th knuckle
    I have a few turns around my big air can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Zip ties and electric tape also. A friend once busted the buckle on his Sidi shoes a minute into the ride. Wrapped electric tape around a dozen times and held up for 20 miles. Although duct tape would've been better.

banned
    Jun 2012
    Duct tape is superior on cats and small children. In all seriousness duct tape I find superior as the adhesive works better in the dusty conditions whence mountain biking. Electrical tape is convenient due to size. Gorilla tape is great when mating to clean surfaces or back on itself. Great tubeless rim tape.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno View Post
    Zip ties and electric tape also. A friend once busted the buckle on his Sidi shoes a minute into the ride. Wrapped electric tape around a dozen times and held up for 20 miles. Although duct tape would've been better.
    Yes, I keep a handful of zip ties in my camelbak too. They have actually bailed me out more often than the duct tape.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Duct tape wrapped around a film container (find one before these never exist) and full of misc bolts, screws, and other odds and ends will bail you or one of your buddies out of what would have been a "game over" ride this summer. Also good for injuries with a lil gauze in a pinch... Must carry stuff!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have duct tape, electrical tape, zip ties and safety wire in just about every tool kit for vehicles, bikes and motorcycles.

But I don't have a man card.

old skool newbie
    We used it in the 1980s to provide ankle support by wrapping it around our Sorel boots. I knew someone that was sponsored by Duck Tape brand.

As I have matured and become wider, um wiser, I find that duct tape is too gooey and there is always a right tape for the job.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    I keep cosmic orange tie dyed duct tape in my trunk and an healthy amount of it wrapped around my pump. I don't need it that often, but I love to have it when I do need it!
    Having been privy to needing your cosmic orange tie dyed duct tape, I love that you have it when I need it as well.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    That duct tape baby picture is absolutely classic! I just finished duct tape engineering in my office because the building management can't figure out how to balance the HVAC system. I end up with frigid air blowing down my neck while the other side of the building is baking hot. Duct tape to the rescue! I've heard pilots have repaired planes with the stuff.

psycho cyclo addict
    I carry a small rolled up bit in my saddle bag. It has saved hapless riders (other than me) from having to walk out trails with big sidewall gashes 3 times so far.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Gorilla tape >> duct tape.
    ^^^ this ^^^

is what I use to make all my rims tubeless ready. I like the 1" width stuff.

in action yesterday...

Last edited by WKD-RDR; 06-26-2012 at 04:06 PM.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

is that the instagram duct tape filter?

friend of Apex
    No, its photobuckets hipster stuff. Just a color inversion, and a bit of sharpening.

Any guesses on the trail?
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    [raises hand]

bike rider
    I use duct tape to seal rims for tubeless use and have never had a failure. Two times around, cut just wider than the spoke holes. Inflate with a tube for an hour or so to firmly adhere the tape to the rim. If someone had told me in the 90's that this would work my head would have exploded.
    Keep the Country country.

Stiff yet compliant
    Duck tape save a ride from a broken saddle rail a few years back. This repair was a combination of natural and synthetic fibers.

Just this monday Gorilla tape sealed a split seam on my Camelbak bladder, letting me avoid a very parched ride.

Several times I have used tape to patch tears in tires.