Thread: Dry Trails?

mtbr member

Dry Trails?

I was planning to head down to Pueblo tomorrow with a friend of mine to do some riding, but now the conditions page at http://lakepueblotrails.org/doc_disp...trol&Mitem=324 says it's a no go.

So is there someplace else that would be dry enough to ride tomorrow and not more than a few hours drive from Boulder?

Thanks,
    Jim

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Dakota ridge was good to go last weekend except for the wood stairs being a sheet of ice.

I'd guess that the dusting of snow that we've gotten this week is gone by now.

mtbr member
    DU trial system is dry. I know, that doesn't help...sorry.
    This won't hurt a bit...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Most of Green Mountain is rideable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele
    Most of Green Mountain is rideable.
    Yep....stay off the Hayden trail though, went up that ended up walking a lot of it...total slop fest, everything else I was on was really nice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow
    Yep....stay off the Hayden trail though, went up that ended up walking a lot of it...total slop fest, everything else I was on was really nice.
    We must have just missed each other.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow
    Which one is the Hayden trail? I don't pay much attention to trail names. Is that the loop on the north side?

How about 'box of rox'? My guess is that the middle portions are quite wet, but haven't been up there.

edit: Found a map online, now I know which one is the Hayden trail. As I recall from last spring, that trail acted as a drainage ditch and often had water flowing down it whenever it was wet. Too bad, it's one of the better climbs to train on.
    Last edited by scooter2468; 01-30-2010 at 05:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Scooter, your first name isn't Scott by chance, is it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by grymes
    Scooter, your first name isn't Scott by chance, is it?
    No. That's my middle name

Why do you ask?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter2468
    No. That's my middle name

Why do you ask?
    I know a Scott who goes by Scooter, was just curious.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I know a Scott who goes by Scooter, was just curious.
    Probably not me. I don't go by Scooter anywhere except a few online forums.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter2468
    Probably not me. I don't go by Scooter anywhere except a few online forums.
    Oh well, it was worth a short.
    So who's riding Sunday?! I'm thinking of hitting GM for the closeness factor and likelihood of better conditions. Never my first choice, but feels like the only local options. Any word on places like Lair of the Bear of Matthew's Winters?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Oh well, it was worth a short.
    So who's riding Sunday?! I'm thinking of hitting GM for the closeness factor and likelihood of better conditions. Never my first choice, but feels like the only local options. Any word on places like Lair of the Bear of Matthew's Winters?
    I happened to ride by Green Mountain AND Lair of the Bear on my road bike today. What I could see of GM looked dry, but of course I couldn't see much. What you can see of Lair of the Bear from the road looked miserably wet. I imagine anything in the woods is quite messy.

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Dakota Ridge was in good shape today. There's obviously still snow in the shaded stairs area, but most of it is dry. There were a couple small wet spots in the afternoon on the initial climb, near the top in the shaded area also, but overall it's good.

mtbr member
    Yesterday (Saturday) I rode up Chimney Gulch, down Grapevine Road, up Lair o' the Bear, down Mt. Falcon, over Green Mtn. and back home to Golden.
    The only mud of any significance was climbing up part of Green Mtn. All the other trails were either dry in the exposed parts or snow-packed in the trees. Coming down Mt. Falcon was a little tricky in a few spots as there was ice under the 1/2 inch of snow.
    I started this ride @ 10:45, so it was warming up already. Most of the snow was hard packed but rideable.
    I imagine that with last night's freeze and today not being as warm as yesterday, that the same conditions will exist.
    Must have been some Karmic thing, because after that long ride I got a flat on Rooney Road on my way home.....
    Have fun today. After a few more days of melt I think all the trails except Dakota Ridge and Green Mtn. will be too muddy.
    Is this where I write something witty?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele
    We must have just missed each other.
    Must have....we should get a ride in soon...assuming this weather holds. We will be in SLC skiing next week, but around after that.