Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    a dad
    Jan 2004

Drops and Keystone and questions

So i ride keystone somewhat regularly and can ride anything on the mountain relatively well.. this is my first year on a DH bike (but 20 years riding)..

I just can't seem to visualize hitting any of the drops.. the 5 footer looks like a sketchy landing.. fuzzy bunny looks the best, but seems kind of big for a newbie..

any suggestions or other places anyone can recommend.. i certainly have done 4 footers here and there on my regular bike so i feel like i should be able to handle it ..

thanks
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The landing on Piranha's not that bad. Sorta...........

I love the showtime booter on High Speed Dirt. We just call it that because it's comin out of the woods,right in front of everyone on the lift. That one is fun. Not really a drop,more of a booter but still...... Also,the booter up on Milky Way that kicks you out onto that steep tranny is a hooot

Armchair Sasquatcheror

Busch Booter

The jump on high speed dirt is called the Busch Booter, named after the beer.

Fuzzy bunny is not too bad, just scope it out first, pay particular attention to where the root is. At the bottom of paid in full, enter the woods and take the right line on the north shore bridge. It gets skinny and then widens out and is about a 4' drop to transition. This is oh so smooth and is a good ramp up to fuzzy bunny.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinkyfan
    The landing on Piranha's not that bad. Sorta...........

I love the showtime booter on High Speed Dirt. We just call it that because it's comin out of the woods,right in front of everyone on the lift. That one is fun. Not really a drop,more of a booter but still...... Also,the booter up on Milky Way that kicks you out onto that steep tranny is a hooot
    i have been hitting all of those, so fun.. and the two hip type jumps before jam rock..
    BBZ

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveinsasquatch

Fuzzy bunny is not too bad, just scope it out first, pay particular attention to where the root is. At the bottom of paid in full, enter the woods and take the right line on the north shore bridge. It gets skinny and then widens out and is about a 4' drop to transition. This is oh so smooth and is a good ramp up to fuzzy bunny.
    that one looks alright.. its the skinny bridge that scares me..
    BBZ

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Those hips are fuggin fun.

mtbr member
    I would go Winterpark for one day. Winterpark has a 0" drop into a short but steep transition and one 1" drop into a long and steep transition. All very much on the bottom of the trail right at or above the skills park.

The Keystone 5" is a bit treacherous as it sends the rider off at an angle to the fall line of the transition. The 7" is easier but looks more scary. Fuzzy Bunny is a beast. You need to take it at a certain speed or you land before the transition.

So I would go WP for basic practice, then hit Keystone drops. At Keystone ride down the transition starting at the 7" drop. Gives you a good feeling of what to expect when you drop in.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    I would go Winterpark for one day. Winterpark has a 0" drop into a short but steep transition and one 1" drop into a long and steep transition. All very much on the bottom of the trail right at or above the skills park.

The Keystone 5" is a bit treacherous as it sends the rider off at an angle to the fall line of the transition. The 7" is easier but looks more scary. Fuzzy Bunny is a beast. You need to take it at a certain speed or you land before the transition.

So I would go WP for basic practice, then hit Keystone drops. At Keystone ride down the transition starting at the 7" drop. Gives you a good feeling of what to expect when you drop in.
    thanks.. but is there anything else at winter park.. those aren't going to challenge or scare me.. i really need that in between size..
    BBZ

Still on Training Wheels!
    If you hit fuzzy bunny you just need to hammer the peddals al the way around the turn that leads into the drop. that ladder kills your speed real quick. FWIW if you have the skills on a 4 foot drop you should be fine on fuzzy bunny. The tranny is smoother than it looks and the root half way down the tranny that was mentioned before is more of a mental issue than what it actualy is.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia
    thanks.. but is there anything else at winter park.. those aren't going to challenge or scare me.. i really need that in between size..
    In that case: Meet me at Keystone this weekend. I'll push you over the wood.

mtbr member
    Klaus are you going to Keystone this weekend? I have a couple of dirt jump friends coming in from back home, and may take them that way.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    In that case: Meet me at Keystone this weekend. I'll push you over the wood.
    maybe thats what i need.. i think its a mental issue..
    BBZ

Fast, not that fast

Good advice riding the transition. For the 5" I aim to be a little left at the lip of the drop to clear that sorta treacherous angle Klaus talks about. That also had to do with why stinkyfan ate **** the other day...that and he had a hole in his hand

Could someone clue me in to what fuzzy bunny is, it sounds familiar by the description but I cant place it.

Billybob-are you riding with people that are hitting the drops? It helps a ton to see it done or at least be with someone whose done it...helps the confidence which is the big part, committing. I'm sure if you rode it with a drop zone regular you'd feel good and style it.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I hope to heck you guys are talking about Pinkbike inches... 'cause 5" and 7" jumps are TINY.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skullybones
    Klaus are you going to Keystone this weekend? I have a couple of dirt jump friends coming in from back home, and may take them that way.
    Plan is the usual... riding, camping, riding See you there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvenFlow
    Could someone clue me in to what fuzzy bunny is, it sounds familiar by the description but I cant place it.
    Ladder drop close to the end of TNT. More or less at the bottom of the drop zone. You probably see it on your right every time you blaze down Paid'n Full

Billybob-are you riding with people that are hitting the drops? It helps a ton to see it done or at least be with someone whose done it...helps the confidence which is the big part, committing. I'm sure if you rode it with a drop zone regular you'd feel good and style it.
    That is what I offered

Fast, not that fast
    Ah thanks. Thats what i was guessin. I've never heard it called anything.

.....this just in, Keystone closed this weekend

pdh
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveinsasquatch

At the bottom of Paid in Full enter the woods and take the left line on the bridge and drop
    straight off instead of going down the ramp. I know it's wrong but there is a trail for the run out.
    It is maybe a 2-3 foot drop. Fuzzy Bunny is not that bad if you just drop off it. Witch Doctor is
    really easy.
    I JUST WANT A BICYCLE!!!!! " Why-why are you yelling at me?"
    WHATEVER, MAKE ME A BICYCLE CLOWN!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Ah thanks. Thats what i was guessin. I've never heard it called anything.

.....this just in, Keystone closed this weekend

It's labeled,just like the rest of the drop zone,douche

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yeah,tards! It's 5' and 7'

Giggitty giggitty!!
    Klaus is the perfect guy to follow into everything! Last weekend we rode and hit everything on the mountain that we could find... Fuzzy Bunny is a lot easier than it looks...

I just got back from riding Keystone today and I would have to say the rock gap (Busch Booter) is the smoothest but the one that will psych you out the most... Milky Way-High Speed Dirty-Jam Rock-Paid in Full-Evenflow is the best trail combination for mostly jumps and little drops...

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by dhpimp
    Klaus is the perfect guy to follow into everything! Last weekend we rode and hit everything on the mountain that we could find... Fuzzy Bunny is a lot easier than it looks...

I just got back from riding Keystone today and I would have to say the rock gap (Busch Booter) is the smoothest but the one that will psych you out the most...
    +1.. I hit the Busch Booter for the first time last weekend. Takes a lot less speed than you would first think.. the blind launch is a real mental barrier but it's butter smooth when you hit it.

Fuzzy Bunny is a blast.. heading for drop zone next time up.

Klaus is a good guy to follow if you don't mind finding yourself gliding 20' above the ground all of a sudden.

Fast, not that fast
    did they open Evenflow?

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Billybob-are you riding with people that are hitting the drops? It helps a ton to see it done or at least be with someone whose done it...helps the confidence which is the big part, committing. I'm sure if you rode it with a drop zone regular you'd feel good and style it.[/QUOTE]

that is definately an issue as i ride with guys about the same level and none of us are dropping anything.. and really the last couple weeks the mountain has been very slow on sundays when we are there..
    BBZ

Fast, not that fast

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast