mtbr member

Drop Bar 29er SS?

Anyone riding one of these on the front range?

Pros/cons? Particularly good/bad trails for this setup?
    "Ride what you love, love what you ride"

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm riding one right now. Rigid, using salsa woodchipper bars, BB7's and tektro levers. It's such a great fit for the long uphills and greatly prefered over flat bars actually. The drops with the wide extensions make for great seated climbing on a SS. The hoods or the top are way too narrow for me, so I'm always climbing way down wide on the drops.

But the downhills....my god....try to have fun... but don't think you'll have as much fun, and/or be less achy. I ride on the drops to still hold on and use 1-finger braking. This causes major bruising of your hands the first few good downhills before you get acclimated to it. It's great for getting your weight toward the front for turns...but it's always there...you have no choice and it's extremely uncomfortable. If I ride the hoods, I don't have enough grip, and not enough braking power when I'm at higher speeds, so riding drops it is. I sometimes wish I owned a gun.

All my other bikes are broken...so this is the only bike I ride now, even if I don't enjoy it much. I could put normal bars on it...but honestly...I don't want to like the bike (that's a whole other story)

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by gearwhine View Post

All my other bikes are broken...so this is the only bike I ride now, even if I don't enjoy it much. I could put normal bars on it...but honestly...I don't want to like the bike (that's a whole other story)
    I guess we'll see how they handle in the snow tomorrow night!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    What are you trying to do? Make a bike ride as bad as possible? Drop bars for mtn biking suck, 29ers are for road bikers that want to try mtn biking, and singlespeeding just makes you suffer. I have had all of these combos before and ended up ditching them.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by skogorbet View Post
    29ers are for road bikers that want to try mtn biking
    Yeah! This guy's such a "roadie": Lace Mine 29 - Big Bicycle Wheels
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Team Velveeta™

Gotta start high with drops

I've had a couple drop bar bikes that I've ridden offroad, one cx and one touring (which generally differ by bb height). As gearwhine noted, you pretty much need to be in the drops to descend and if the bar height isn't high enough to make that really comfortable, especially when your weight is forward because the whole bike is slanted forward, it's a bit awkward.

Very fashionable way to ride dirt among the west coast flavor of offroading hipster, but I wouldn't go that way unless it was a bike mostly for dirt road touring and certainly not my only mtb.

Now, Mr (or Mrs) skogorbet, slagging on 29ers is SOOO 2005. I would not ride anything else but the bigwheel, but I don't tell anybody who's into 26ers that they are only for knuckle-dragging DHers, retro-geeks, weight-weenies, and other misguided persons

The OP is clearly talking about an XC bike. In my opinion, if you're in the 5'10-6' realm or taller, FOR XC the 700c wheel is a no-brainer. The proportions of big bikes on little wheels is wrong. You can tell just by looking at them--handlebars over a foot above the top of the front wheel? Smaller people, 26" wheels can make sense for XC. My 5'6" GF would fit a 26" bike really well, but likes her small FS 29er because of stability. She's only mtb'd for the last 3 years but she rocks it on her Small HiFi 29.

Quote Originally Posted by skogorbet View Post
    What are you trying to do? Make a bike ride as bad as possible? Drop bars for mtn biking suck, 29ers are for road bikers that want to try mtn biking, and singlespeeding just makes you suffer. I have had all of these combos before and ended up ditching them.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I knew I'd ruffle some feathers with that comment. It's just a differing opinion, and I've ridden both but I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid. I'm sure they have their applications, but, the Leadville 100 can still be won on a 26.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Every single mountain bike race can be won on a 26. Race results by tire size means nothing except to people who are pro 29 or pro 26.

Leadville...It's a road race ridden by people on mountain bikes so who cares what size tire won it. You would think it would have been on a 29 but nope. That same guy would have won it on what ever bike he through a leg over.

The pro wheel size people absolutely crack me up!!!!

I am 6'2 and ride a HT 29er. Like Tom P said, it's a no brainer for me.

There are times that I know a fs 26 would be a better bike for the trail that I am on.....oh well.

Certain companies are starting to shorten the chainstay lengths of their 29ers and this is drastically changing the way these big wheel bikes ride. In a great way!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    skogorbet - you should really just take that trolling to the 29er forum.

If you're dressing up as an early 90's John Tomac, drop bars are cool. Otherwise, they're pretty dumb.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Not trolling, just keeping it real. Just my opinion, no offense.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm 6 foot 6 and find my home on 26'ers. Owned two niners, but love the nimbleness of 26"ers. Not saying one is better then the other, but saying tall people only need to ride he big wheels is just wrong.

Everyone in my area rides th big wheels, because we have such tech trails. But def different strokes for different folks

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Pffft. 29'ers are so 2002. 46'ers are where it's at.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I don't ride with anyone unless they're on 29"...they just can't keep up.

I also only road ride with 27" wheeled riders...700c is out of the question. They just can't keep up either since they can't roll over the cracks in the road as efficiently.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    ^i think that's sarcasm?! Haha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jddjirikian View Post
    Anyone riding one of these on the front range?

Pros/cons? Particularly good/bad trails for this setup?
    A couple years back I rode a 29er (Q-ball) with a rigid fork and drop bars - on-one midge bars, bb7 brakes, and tektro levers and bar con shifters (at times). The bike was ridden in multiple configurations - geared (3x9), SS, Fixed, and Dingle. The bars were 2+ inches higher than the seat.

The bike was perfect for Buff Creek with all the flowing single track and dirt roads - heaven on earth. However on the front range where rocky descents dominate the landscape the bike was not well suited or I was not well suited for the setup. the descents were hairy - like riding on the edge of your ability and at any moment you could be tossed into a tree or go over an edge or abruptly endo into a rock garden - pure white knuckle adrenaline rush.

suffice to say I no longer ride drop bars on the 29er.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Frederline View Post
    saying tall people only need to ride he big wheels is just wrong
    ridiculous is the word that comes to mind for me

29ers are just not as magical as the pundits and bike "industry" shills make them out to be

Team Velveeta™

OK Then.

Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Federline View Post
    saying tall people only need to ride he big wheels is just wrong.
    ridiculous is the word that comes to mind for me

29ers are just not as magical as the pundits and bike "industry" shills make them out to be
    OK Guys, don't get your undies in a bunch. It is ridiculous to say that. Luckily enough, nobody on this thread said that.

I said: "In my opinion, if you're in the 5'10-6' realm or taller, FOR XC the 700c wheel is a no-brainer."

CBrock450 said "it's a no brainer for me"

Nobody said tall people only need to ride the big wheels.

banned
    You of all people on this sad, sad forum should know better, Tom.

Team Velveeta™

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    You of all people on this sad, sad forum should know better, Tom.
    ...should know better than to, what, share my opinion?

Gawd, funny how you and I used to go rounds over the bigwheel way back in olden times when you still lived in Fruita. And it still happens?? Is it forbidden that someone should say anything good about equipment they like? Even when they have 8+ years of experience with it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Wow, he even attacks his own friends, wonderful guy.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    damn fun haters...
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    ...should know better than to, what, share my opinion?

Gawd, funny how you and I used to go rounds over the bigwheel way back in olden times when you still lived in Fruita. And it still happens?? Is it forbidden that someone should say anything good about equipment they like? Even when they have 8+ years of experience with it?
    the notion that you feel it's a "no brainer" for anyone over 6' to not be on a magical 29er appears to lend to anyone over 6' not on magical 29ers not having a brain

sure you are allowed to feel that riders 6' and over not on 29ers are being brainless, per se

that doesn't make it any less ridiculous though

i don't think anyone on a 29er is brainless, even if i think 29er bikes are a sham that was perpetuated by gary "narcissus" fisher, the biggest one-person shill in the bike "industry"

ride what ya brung and have fun...and a brain