Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF View Post
    Just for the lols, in your scenario above, please tell us what you'd do. Pretty please. I haven't had a good laugh in at least 5-minutes now.
    That depends.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    Laugh all you want, I predict by 2014 drones will be used for traffic enforcement somewhere in the US, and the precedent will be set for other communities to follow. At the present time Houston and Miami are the bell weather cities to watch. NYC, DC and LA are also cities I would expect to see a roll out of this technology.
    So.. all the cities that have/or are in the process of, getting rid of red light camera's... ?

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJosiah View Post
    So.. all the cities that have/or are in the process of, getting rid of red light camera's... ?
    You take things way to literal.

LA
    L.A. City Council Votes to Remove Red-Light Cameras - NYTimes.com

Houston
    Houston Joins L.A. In Removing Red Light Cameras

Colorado Springs

Albuquerque
    State orders red light cameras removed | Albuquerque, N.M. | KRQE News 13

Communities put a halt to red-light cameras - USATODAY.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You take things way to literal.
    ..!!! Oh I AM!? I just used your own example as it pertains to automated law enforcement.

Dir Sir, I don't know you. But let me be at least the first to tell you, the technological capabilities in present day that our government uses on a regular basis, far surpasses the need to have a "drone" flying around to clock your car speeding on a highway.

Nor does anyone really care. Speeding tickets are purely money making venues, exercised in counties that need to raise money and have limited revenue streams to draw from.

The FEDERAL government doesn't make a dime off tickets. And the counties and cities can barely afford to keep staff as it is. And you think they are going to spend the money on a DRONE?!

Come on dude.. get real.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Mod, move this to the way off topic thread.

banned
    Right up until the drogue chute goes out early, the Herc can't pull up, it inchworms across the DZ and into the trees turning troops into pizza along the way.
    That particular LAPES Zone is now in the middle of the DZ because of the incident you described. While working ATC for a CAPEX on that old LZ, I got to see an old Sheridan tank tumble into the trees. The ANG crews were usually the ones pulling it off nicely.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    Let's talk about the real issue here...people posting giant photos on MTBR that take up the entire screen and make you have to side scroll to read anything. Fack.
    I predict in 2014 that those pictures will be used to give traffic tickets. Mark my words.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Just for the lols, in your scenario above, please tell us what you'd do. Pretty please. I haven't had a good laugh in at least 5-minutes now.
    He says, "depends", but I think it's quite obvious what schnauzers would do. First, he'd call CTU and request Jack Bauer be sent in to help. Jack would use a patrolling drone to snipe that fool in the hand with a laser - knocking the "button" away to safety at the last second. Then, after Bauer secured the perp to a chair, Schnauzers would electrically nut-shock him until the bad guy gave up his collaborators and confessed to the crimes. Then schnauzers would cap that fool and send drones after his family. Crisis averted thanks to the Judge, Jury, Executioner and your friendly neighborhood Yipe Yipe Dog!

Yo, McGruff ain't got nothing on him...

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303 View Post
    He says, "depends", but I think it's quite obvious what schnauzers would do. First, he'd call CTU and request Jack Bauer be sent in to help. Jack would use a patrolling drone to snipe that fool in the hand with a laser - knocking the "button" away to safety at the last second. Then, after Bauer secured the perp to a chair, Schnauzers would electrically nut-shock him until the bad guy gave up his collaborators and confessed to the crimes. Then schnauzers would cap that fool and send drones after his family. Crisis averted thanks to the Judge, Jury, Executioner and your friendly neighborhood Yipe Yipe Dog!

Yo, McGruff ain't got nothing on him...
    That's awesome!

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJosiah View Post
    Dir Sir, I don't know you.
    Come on dude.. get real.
    I'm one of the resident trolls. And in case you haven't figured it out yet.
    I work for the government. Uncle Sam.... Uncle Trail...... get it?

Need more....
    Why in hell is IMBA in Boulder?

You're obviously new here, and unaware of the tools at your disposal. All
    my posts can be found in my profile, you're welcome to browse there if you
    feel the need to know more about me. And there's plenty I cannot post
    due to the nature of my (former) employment. However I would caution
    you that MTBR is entertainment to me and unlike many of my government
    cohorts, I learned many, many years ago not to take what's said on a
    bulletin board too seriously. We're just shooting the bull. Have a nice day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    Let's talk about the real issue here...people posting giant photos on MTBR that take up the entire screen and make you have to side scroll to read anything. Fack.
    Soln: CTRL + "-"
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    That particular LAPES Zone is now in the middle of the DZ because of the incident you described. While working ATC for a CAPEX on that old LZ, I got to see an old Sheridan tank tumble into the trees. The ANG crews were usually the ones pulling it off nicely.
    Yeah, I was on the ground @ Sicily when it happened. If it wasn't for the whole loss of life thing, it would have been cool. The Sheridan came out just as pretty as you please. Of course the 130 didn't fair so well, nor the crew in belly, nor the Duece.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    The best is when the signs say, "Enforced by Aircraft". Keep your eyes open for planes pulling people over...
    Ya know...
    I'm pretty sure that traffic cam at Arapaho and Yosemite (?) had snapped a shot of me on a suspicious yellow...but I had a T2 rack on and up against the trunk, and never received a "congratulations" card in the mail.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post
    ...it's[sic] about revenue...
    Are you sure? Last time i checked, there is a direct correlation between increased speed and higher rates of fatalities and injuries.

banned
    Yeah, I was on the ground @ Sicily when it happened. If it wasn't for the whole loss of life thing, it would have been cool. The Sheridan came out just as pretty as you please. Of course the 130 didn't fair so well, nor the crew in belly, nor the Duece.
    The crew controlling that day were all friends of mine. It was a bad day for everyone from what i was told. A couple of my friends from PAFB who were not Controllers had to pick body parts out of the trees for a few days. The CAPEX I mentioned had a bunch of Japanese dignitaries watching and that goofball Lindsey was pissed when that Sheridan tumbled. The Japanese sure enjoyed the show though.

That said, you must have been 82nd, or at least 18th Airborne Corps. I probably watched you fall out of the sky on a few occasions, being a Manchester Roadrunner from '82-'86.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    The crew controlling that day were all friends of mine. It was a bad day for everyone from what i was told. A couple of my friends from PAFB who were not Controllers had to pick body parts out of the trees for a few days. The CAPEX I mentioned had a bunch of Japanese dignitaries watching and that goofball Lindsey was pissed when that Sheridan tumbled. The Japanese sure enjoyed the show though.

That said, you must have been 82nd, or at least 18th Airborne Corps. I probably watched you fall out of the sky on a few occasions, being a Manchester Roadrunner from '82-'86.
    Yes, at that time that happened I was in the 3/505.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

banned
    IIRC, the DZSO from that incident was in a world of feces because he was responsible for all of the troops on the ground. That 2.5 should never have been where it was.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    Are you sure? Last time i checked, there is a direct correlation between increased speed and higher rates of fatalities and injuries.
    I doubt folks want this thread to get into debating the intricacies of speed traps and the trade offs and risks we as a nation accept regarding motor vehicle fatalities. The main issue is the use of drones in the US. One possible use is traffic enforcement and monitoring of ordinary non-perfect but mostly law abiding citizens. I'm not happy with that prospect. Perhaps others don't care about the prospect of continually increased monitoring.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post
    One possible use is traffic enforcement and monitoring of ordinary non-perfect but mostly law abiding citizens. I'm not happy with that prospect.
    It's not just your cars...

You Built What?! A Remote-Controlled Hacker Drone | Popular Science
    By Clay Dillow Posted 10.10.2011 at 10:11 am

How about this? a DIY "drone aircraft that can discreetly break into Wi-Fi networks, emit jamming signals, and even pose as a cellphone tower to intercept communications from the ground."

"Vespid can “spoof” a cell tower—it can trick phones into thinking that its USRP is a piece of network hardware so that the phones route calls and texts through the drone. Vespid then connects the calls through a real cell tower, so the phone (and caller) never detects that it has been duped. That means Vespid can even intercept encrypted voice or text data and dump it to a server on the ground."

"They showed Vespid at a security conference in Las Vegas in August to make a point: If they could construct a spy drone from legal, off-the-shelf components for a few thousand dollars, then despite its complexity, others could do the same—including those with nefarious motives."

banned
    you're never done, are you uncle FAIL?

keep lulz rolling in

mtbr member
    It's not just your cars...

You Built What?! A Remote-Controlled Hacker Drone | Popular Science
    By Clay Dillow Posted 10.10.2011 at 10:11 am

How about this? a DIY "drone aircraft that can discreetly break into Wi-Fi networks, emit jamming signals, and even pose as a cellphone tower to intercept communications from the ground."

"Vespid can “spoof” a cell tower—it can trick phones into thinking that its USRP is a piece of network hardware so that the phones route calls and texts through the drone. Vespid then connects the calls through a real cell tower, so the phone (and caller) never detects that it has been duped. That means Vespid can even intercept encrypted voice or text data and dump it to a server on the ground."

"They showed Vespid at a security conference in Las Vegas in August to make a point: If they could construct a spy drone from legal, off-the-shelf components for a few thousand dollars, then despite its complexity, others could do the same—including those with nefarious motives."
    Gee I hope they don't hear me talkin' to my laaadies.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    you're never done, are you uncle FAIL?

keep lulz rolling in
    I did it just for you.

Of course I could post another "has the snow melted yet" thread...

skillz to pay billz
    Fear is your real enemy. And they use on you effectively it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    So when there is a crazed nut job standing in front of you with a finger on a switch that will kill 20 people all at once, you'll try and talk him out of it?

Good luck with that.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    More lulz for the sheeple... won't be long till tickets are being mailed.

Local cops used Predator drone to arrest North Dakota farm family for 'stealing 6 cows' | Mail Online

"The same aerial vehicles used by the CIA to track down and assassinate terrorists and militants in Pakistan and Afghanistan are now being deployed by cops to spy on Americans in their own backyards. "

"All of the surveillance occurred without a search warrant because the Supreme Court has long ruled that anything visible from the air, even if it's on private property, can be subject to police spying."

banned
    *moar

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast