Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Ralston Creek cuts through the South Platte limestone, a known source of uranium on both the Front Range and in its equivalent on the Western Slope. In fact, there is a known uranium roll front along the US 285 roadcut along Turkey Creek.

That yellow "tounge" is hot, way hot.

I love when people,especially scientists, insist that one part of the hydrologic cycle is not connected to all other parts of the cycle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    Ralston Creek cuts through the South Platte limestone, a known source of uranium on both the Front Range and in its equivalent on the Western Slope. In fact, there is a known uranium roll front along the US 285 roadcut along Turkey Creek.

That yellow "tounge" is hot, way hot.

I love when people,especially scientists, insist that one part of the hydrologic cycle is not connected to all other parts of the cycle.
    Like this one: The Oklo Natural Nuclear Reactor
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    No, this thread is so full of fail that that word doesn't even come close to doing it justice!
    your sarcasm meter is broken

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    It's against the law for you or I to peep in peoples windows, why do feel it's ok for the cops to do so using a drone?
    If you can see into my window while flying, my windows may be too large.

But don't the police have the power via search warrants already? But I'm guessing "drones" create more traffic on conspiracy websites.....because it sounds so......conspiracyish....you know, like a drone brought down the twin towers. Or was it a drone at the Pentagon? Is there anything a drone can't do?

Besides, I thought this topic was about the military's use of drones? Now we're afraid of drones as traffic cops? Is that what they're doing in SE Colorado??

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Besides, I thought this topic was about the military's use of drones? Now we're afraid of drones as traffic cops? Is that what they're doing in SE Colorado??

skillz to pay billz
    This libtard is against people killing each other, whether they are in the plane or flying it remote with a big mac on their desk in some container in vegas. Probably even more against remote killing since it's more abstract and easily written off.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Kinda silly too considering highway patrol has used aircraft for patrolling for decades... guy must have never noticed the signs on highways "Patrolled by Aircraft"

Personally, I love seeing the fighter jets, Apaches and other super rad flying toys around all the time. watching some of those big lifters come in low is pretty badass.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post
    I can see drones' usefulness in a military capacity but, as a habitual speeder I don't want to see a swarm of drones ticketing all of us ordinary citizens as we go about our mundane otherwise lawful days. Its like another electronic babysitter. I cannot see a municipality resisting such a revenue stream and I can see the use of drones to monitor citizens spiraling out of control because domestic law enforcement agencies don't know when to quit. I can see why the military needs to be able to train with drones but unfortunately domestic law enforcement must be salivating at the prospect of utilizing them as well. I'd be cool with drones if they were only used to kill bad guys over seas.
    Given what these things cost I don't think you'll have to worry about drones being used to catch speeders anytime soon.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Given what these things cost I don't think you'll have to worry about drones being used to catch speeders anytime soon.
    They're paid for with DHS grants. It doesn't cost the city anything, DHS just bills the taxpayers. It's already starting in the UK.

Aerial surveillance push - Local News - News - General - The Canberra Times

"Police have suggested that Canberra's new point-to-point speed cameras be linked to unmanned aerial surveillance drones and used to track vehicles of interest to authorities.

The first of the cameras, which use automated number plate recognition technology to calculate a car's average speed and whether it is within the legal limit, are due to be switched on by the end of the year.

But minutes of a Government point-to-point steering committee meeting held in June last year show that police recommended a broader range of uses for the cameras."

Spaceborne Speedtraps: Satellites Help Plate-Reading Cameras Continuously Track Speeding Drivers | Popular Science
    "Evasive speed demons may have a harder time avoid"ing a GPS-enabled speed camera which can capture license plate numbers under any weather condition, 24 hours a day. The new speed cameras in the UK use GPS satellites to help measure cars' average driving speeds over long distances, The Telegraph reports.

The newspaper obtained details on the speed camera trials in a House of Commons report. One system has been set up in Southwark, London, and the other between Antony and Torpoint in Cornwall.

The camera system combines plate-reading technology with a GPS satellite receiver, and would help cover the network of streets such as those found in residential neighborhoods, according to the UK's Automobile Association.

The SpeedSpike system was developed by PIPS Technology Ltd, a U.S. company. Unlike radar enforcement checkpoints where wary drivers slow down, a number of SpeedSpike cameras would cover far greater zones."

There it is right there ^^.

EDIT:
    How do you think CDOT puts those ETA's on the digital highway signs?
    It's not drones, no. It's tracking technology in those Faspasses, cell towers and GPS chips in cell phones. GPS mandated in the The Warning, Alert and Response Network (WARN) Act, and the The Wireless Communications and Public Safety Act of 1999.

Everyone said "oh they'll never do that. What are you wearing a tin foil hat?"
    No. Look in a mirror, I'm not the one with the tin foil hat.
    Last edited by UncleTrail; 11-02-2011 at 08:48 AM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJosiah View Post
    Personally, I love seeing the fighter jets, Apaches and other super rad flying toys around all the time. watching some of those big lifters come in low is pretty badass.
    LAPES is the coolest big lifter steez.

mtbr member
    If you're referring to my post about drones and traffic enforcement. I am well aware of the use of aircraft in traffic enforcement. I'm not in favor of that either. In my opinion the police should focus less on doling out speeding tickets to people who are, essentially good citizens, and focus instead on enforcing more significant laws and catching real criminals. Unfortunately, traffic enforcement is low hanging fruit leading to easy revenue, hence, the focus on monitoring traffic.

I would actually be in favor of the use of drones for surveillance of, say, drug dealers domestically. I just don't trust the police not to get over zealous in monitoring people who are essentially law abiding citizens driving their cars imperfectly. I also don't like the use of cameras for traffic enforcement. I am in favor of the use of drones to monitor and kill terrorists abroad. It will be interesting if drones were used that way domestically. I am willing to give the military and CIA wider berth then domestic police due to the nature of their work.

I am currently reading "The Triple Agent" by Joby Warrick.

http://www.amazon.com/Triple-Agent-a.../dp/0385534183

The book is not specifically about the use of drones, however, it includes a lot of information regarding their use in the Middle East to monitor and kill terrorists. It also talks about the people behind target selection called targeters. Its a fascinating book and I have come to respect those involved in the fight against terror including the targeters.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJosiah View Post
    Kinda silly too considering highway patrol has used aircraft for patrolling for decades... guy must have never noticed the signs on highways "Patrolled by Aircraft"
    The best is when the signs say, "Enforced by Aircraft". Keep your eyes open for planes pulling people over...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    The best is when the signs say, "Enforced by Aircraft". Keep your eyes open for planes pulling people over...
    Ha ha I have seen those too!

Automated ticketing is on it's way out, many states have already outlawed red light cameras, heck they only lasted a year here in the Springs and are being yanked in '12.

The (at least American) public just won't stand for the automated policing, not to mention all the legal loopholes.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    I mentioned the signs earlier in the thread. CDOT no longer enforces speed with aircraft, but they have never taken the signs down.

Laugh all you want, I predict by 2014 drones will be used for traffic enforcement somewhere in the US, and the precedent will be set for other communities to follow. At the present time Houston and Miami are the bell weather cities to watch. NYC, DC and LA are also cities I would expect to see a roll out of this technology.

I know of a former coworker who has had a relative photographed through a window in their house. That's here in CO. The drones/blimps are already up there. You just haven't been told about it. One company tests the blimps out on the east side of el paso county near Calhan. Google high altitude blimps colorado springs. There are several local manufacturers.

So, when a frog is placed in a pot of water and it is brought to a slow boil, the frog doesn't realize he's being cooked until it's too late. Don't be a frog your whole life.

mtbr member
    I agree with the frog analogy. We slowly, willingly, and even happily give away our liberty and privacy a bit each day in this country.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby View Post
    This libtard is against people killing each other, whether they are in the plane or flying it remote with a big mac on their desk in some container in vegas. Probably even more against remote killing since it's more abstract and easily written off.
    So when there is a crazed nut job standing in front of you with a finger on a switch that will kill 20 people all at once, you'll try and talk him out of it?

Good luck with that.

Yappy little dog!
    I mentioned the signs earlier in the thread. CDOT no longer enforces speed with aircraft, but they have never taken the signs down.

Laugh all you want, I predict by 2014 drones will be used for traffic enforcement somewhere in the US, and the precedent will be set for other communities to follow. At the present time Houston and Miami are the bell weather cities to watch. NYC, DC and LA are also cities I would expect to see a roll out of this technology.
    Can't wait to see those sidewinders lock onto the exhaust of someone coming around fast on the Morrison curve. What will Morrison do with all those clean white cars of theirs?

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    What will Morrison do with all those clean white cars of theirs?
    You can be sure they won't be enforcing immigration laws.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    So when there is a crazed nut job standing in front of you with a finger on a switch that will kill 20 people all at once, you'll try and talk him out of it?
    Like this guy?

Yappy little dog!
    Like this guy?

Oh, the Zahner. My Colorado stalker. He got hit by a car last week. Now his lawyer is going to make him a rich schizophrenic homeless guy. Scary.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post
    If you're referring to my post about drones and traffic enforcement. I am well aware of the use of aircraft in traffic enforcement. I'm not in favor of that either. In my opinion the police should focus less on doling out speeding tickets to people who are, essentially good citizens, and focus instead on enforcing more significant laws and catching real criminals. Unfortunately, traffic enforcement is low hanging fruit leading to easy revenue, hence, the focus on monitoring traffic.

I would actually be in favor of the use of drones for surveillance of, say, drug dealers domestically. I just don't trust the police not to get over zealous in monitoring people who are essentially law abiding citizens driving their cars imperfectly. I also don't like the use of cameras for traffic enforcement. I am in favor of the use of drones to monitor and kill terrorists abroad. It will be interesting if drones were used that way domestically. I am willing to give the military and CIA wider berth then domestic police due to the nature of their work.

I am currently reading "The Triple Agent" by Joby Warrick.

http://www.amazon.com/Triple-Agent-a.../dp/0385534183

The book is not specifically about the use of drones, however, it includes a lot of information regarding their use in the Middle East to monitor and kill terrorists. It also talks about the people behind target selection called targeters. Its a fascinating book and I have come to respect those involved in the fight against terror including the targeters.
    All you gotta do is not speed.

mtbr member
    Let's talk about the real issue here...people posting giant photos on MTBR that take up the entire screen and make you have to side scroll to read anything. Fack.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    All you gotta do is not speed.
    Actually I have slowed down but the real issue is the focus of police on petty traffic infractions as apposed to more significant crimes. Of course, that is to be expected. Its easier from the police to focus on traffic infractions rather then more significant crimes and local governments enjoy the revenue. Its not about safety, its about revenue. It disconcerting that generally good law abiding citizens so willingly submit to constant monitoring without so much as raising an eye brow at the situation and its getting worse with cameras and such.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss

Good luck with that.
    Just for the lols, in your scenario above, please tell us what you'd do. Pretty please. I haven't had a good laugh in at least 5-minutes now.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    LAPES is the coolest big lifter steez.

Right up until the drogue chute goes out early, the Herc can't pull up, it inchworms across the DZ and into the trees turning troops into pizza along the way.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast