Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 146
  1. #51
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,881
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    You're wise to do so. Remember back in the Clinton Administration when there were these big debates over the ethics of whether or not we should attempt splicing human-animal genes? Well, not 15 feet away from me sat an incubator with human/mouse hybrid cells inside. We were already doing it before the media even began discussing whether or not we should. Happy Halloween.

    As far as UAV's in a domestic setting. My issue is that they will start to be used for traffic/code enforcement, and other revenue generating operations, in addition to violating my 4th Amendment rights. That's how things are rolled out. Kind of like the microphones in street lights. At first it's "to get the bad guys", then before you know it, we're snooping on private conversations of everyone walking down the street and then running the words through key word filters.

    With the introduction of UAV's, it's not too difficult to understand many cities quick discontinuance of red light cameras. They probably got a DHS grant to purchase UAV's...
    traffic enforcement will be the next step. Maybe that's the reason why CDOT still has the aerial speed enforcement signs up?

    EDIT: Think about how many speeding tickets could be written in one day by a single drone with an automated camera system. Hundreds if not thousands of tickets a day. You don't think that type of revenue stream is tempting?

    I think you really have jumped the shark. You may need a titanium hat at this rate.

  2. #52
    Almost Human
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,594
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    I think you really have jumped the shark. You may need a titanium hat at this rate.
    Paranoid IS patriotic.

    The 2nd Amendment isn't there so you can shoot your pop gun at the range or go deer hunting... think about it. It's there because our founders were PARANOID.

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gotdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,314

    fixed wing is so passé

    rotors are where it's at...

    Public safety surveillance drone debuts
    Thursday, October 27, 2011

    Public safety surveillance drone debuts
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

  4. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2wheelsnotfour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,878
    I can see drones' usefulness in a military capacity but, as a habitual speeder I don't want to see a swarm of drones ticketing all of us ordinary citizens as we go about our mundane otherwise lawful days. Its like another electronic babysitter. I cannot see a municipality resisting such a revenue stream and I can see the use of drones to monitor citizens spiraling out of control because domestic law enforcement agencies don't know when to quit. I can see why the military needs to be able to train with drones but unfortunately domestic law enforcement must be salivating at the prospect of utilizing them as well. I'd be cool with drones if they were only used to kill bad guys over seas.

  5. #55
    Rigid in Evergreen
    Reputation: topmounter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by russman View Post
    I'm probably in the minority, but I have no problems with drones, nor their use. They make the bad guys quiver in their caves and it puts no American service members at risk. I hope they use more.
    Rah Rah and all, but something tells me that our indiscriminate use of "drone diplomacy" is going to result in some serious "drone blowback" in the coming years. We are diving headlong into the age of the "Video Game War" (aka Drone-Kill Nation) and we seem to have a "if a little is good, then more is better" (giddy even) mentality about it. We are definitely in uncharted territory, especially when it comes to international law. Just the mental health issues that have been reported by drone pilots are enough to give one pause. When you're killing anywhere from 10 to 50 civilians for each intended target and then going home to have dinner with your wife and kids, how could you not break down?

    Drone-Kill Culture: Predator Playstations

    "I have two words for you, predator drones. LOL"

    "We came, we saw, he died. LOL"

  6. #56
    Got Shroomies?
    Reputation: calzonical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    684
    I'd be cool with Drones if we could legally shot them down - Pull!

  7. #57
    Rigid in Evergreen
    Reputation: topmounter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    I think you really have jumped the shark. You may need a titanium hat at this rate.
    Don't be so naive, it's already happening.

    The Department of Homeland Security is issuing 100% grants for Local Law Enforcement Agencies to purchase drones equipped with non-lethal weapons and surveillance equipment under the Homeland Security Grant Program(HSGP).

    Local Law Enforcement Agencies are now connected to the Homeland Security Information Network (HSIN) and ALL "collected data" is uploaded, stored and shared with local, state and federal agencies across the nation as needed (actually the HSIN site says "federal, state, local, tribal, territorial, private sector, and international partners"). Our local "Fusion Center" is located in Centennial and is called the Colorado Information Analysis Center(CIAC).

    Obviously the Department of Homeland Security is not giving away $500k drones to help give speeding tickets, but once the price comes down, that would be a pretty obvious application. Many states have used small planes to identify speeders for decades and that plane and pilot isn't cheap... of course that plane and pilot isn't equipped with high-resolution optics, FLIR and thermal imagining, nor can it fly silently and invisibly a mere 600 feet above your neighborhood either.

  8. #58
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,881
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter View Post
    Don't be so naive, it's already happening.

    The Department of Homeland Security is issuing 100% grants for Local Law Enforcement Agencies to purchase drones equipped with non-lethal weapons and surveillance equipment under the Homeland Security Grant Program(HSGP).

    Local Law Enforcement Agencies are now connected to the Homeland Security Information Network (HSIN) and ALL "collected data" is uploaded, stored and shared with local, state and federal agencies across the nation as needed (actually the HSIN site says "federal, state, local, tribal, territorial, private sector, and international partners"). Our local "Fusion Center" is located in Centennial and is called the Colorado Information Analysis Center(CIAC).

    Obviously the Department of Homeland Security is not giving away $500k drones to help give speeding tickets, but once the price comes down, that would be a pretty obvious application. Many states have used small planes to identify speeders for decades and that plane and pilot isn't cheap... of course that plane and pilot isn't equipped with high-resolution optics, FLIR and thermal imagining, nor can it fly silently and invisibly a mere 600 feet above your neighborhood either.
    If you are not breaking the law than it isn't a problem. Right?

  9. #59
    Almost Human
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,594
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    If you are not breaking the law than it isn't a problem. Right?
    It's against the law for you or I to peep in peoples windows, why do feel it's ok for the cops to do so using a drone?

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2wheelsnotfour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,878
    I can see the "authorities" nit picking us even more then they already do with these automated methods. Nobody's perfect but it'll be about revenue so we'll have to be perfect little good citizens or we'll automatically be photographed, tried, and convicted, repeatedly before we even know about the infraction. It'll start with traffic enforcement and then balloon from there. I know its politically incorrect to admit it, but I don't trust the police to be reasonable, especially with budgets tightening up.

  11. #61
    banned
    Reputation: KarateChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,865
    this thread is so full of awesome

  12. #62
    I think I can.
    Reputation: JOEMTBR COLORADO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,241

    One mans opinion

    First off the fear mongering in this thread is out of control, if you think the Gov't want's to spend money on stupid things like traffic patrol, your putting to much confidence in the bureaucratic process. The one thing we have in this country is freedom, not in my life will they ever take that away, we can always vote them out and change the laws back. Salazar is a joke, the man is worse than Newt Gingrich but because he has a D the drones in human form think what he is doing is OK.
    The comment that the US should not use drones in other countries is idiotic, there is still a human behind the machine an I believe it makes no difference if the person is 35k in the air or 3500 miles away, they are both looking into a monitor for video verification. If your talking Afghanistan we tried the boots on the ground and the men got there arses shot off because we put them in a no win situation given the terrain and the tribal environment. Simply put we are hated in that part of the world, our belief in freedom, equal rights and religious choice make us an enemy, we won't change that. I also believe if we sit here and do nothing the fight will return to our soil, get some balls and understand the US and most of Europe are the enemy, freedom is not free nor is it easy.

    As for the Pinion Canyon site all I will say is the NIMBY attitude has gone to far, Colorado is poised to take billions of dollars in the coming years as most training facilities are being downsized or closed for a number of reason around the nation. If we don't give our military a place to train I can see Mexico stepping up and charging us to use land south of the border, is that really in our best interest. This site is ideal for training, not much else can be done with the land but because it has been passed through generations they feel it there inherit rite to keep the land, to me the whole situation should be resolve as fast as possible, we are way to empathetic in a moronic way.
    Kinda like the occupy wall street people, "Anti capitalist is all they are" Federal regulation has cause the problem and this is just a distraction from the truth

    I have more but will wait to see the Saul Alinsky tactics come to fruition.

    Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

  13. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Comrade K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    198
    Dang. My bad. I thought I was in a mountain bike forum.

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rcjonessnp175's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    500
    Wow what a thread of retardness. Go ride your bikes

  15. #65
    Rigid in Evergreen
    Reputation: topmounter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,538
    Things get VERY murky now that we're flying these things anywhere we want, anytime we want, with little or no cooperation (or knowledge even) by the country in question.

    If I was an innocent civilan living in a country with armed drones flying overhead that were killing 10x to 50x more civilians than their intended targets... who am I going to consider the "enemy"? Of course fear of getting moved to the naughty-list would keep me from complaining publicly.

    At least when politicians and generals decide to put boots on the ground and butts in the seat, there is a direct correlation between and understanding of the risks and the rewards, not to mention the consequences (intended or otherwise) and accountability of any given mission.

    But I digress, we need to turn these swords into plowshares... or rather... drones that can carry extra water bottles, food, tools and contact emergency services when things go bad

  16. #66
    What does a bean mean?!
    Reputation: COTarHeel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    this thread is so full of awesome
    Agreed. I'm loving the debate between conspiracy theories & who cares about collateral damage, just git er done!

  17. #67
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post

    Don't worry, I only have the wireless cameras focused on my neighbor.
    You spy on your neighbor? Seriously?

    And you call UT paranoid?!
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  18. #68
    thread crapper
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF View Post
    You spy on your neighbor? Seriously?

    And you call UT paranoid?!
    Depends how hot the neighbor is...

  19. #69
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,881
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF View Post
    You spy on your neighbor? Seriously?

    And you call UT paranoid?!
    No, not spy. You'd have to read through my past threads about the issues with the neighbor. He has been caught taunting my dogs (tries to get them to bark for more than 10 minutes), which is a fine-able offense. It was recommended that I put in cameras focused on the dog run to document the next time it happens. They are security cameras, not peeping Tom cameras.

  20. #70
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,881
    Quote Originally Posted by scottap2003 View Post
    Depends how hot the neighbor is...
    68 years old and rides her bike in the basement. Need I say more?

  21. #71
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,073
    Don't know which is more disturbing, this thread and people that believe in the silly poor me the spies are going to get us tin foil hat crap or
    http://pixyland.org/peterpan/
    click you know you want to!!

    I tapped that

  22. #72
    Almost Human
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,594
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    68 years old and rides her bike in the basement. Need I say more?
    She can still whup your ass with her pinky?



    ok, ok, ok... this thread wouldn't be right without a picture of a girl
    on a grandma bike. ‘omafiets’

    so there you go. Thoroughly derailed from the original topic.

    Why does Ken Salazar keep proposing wilderness areas, but also supports sharing of public airspace with military hardware built by a company that does this:

    "Uranium contamination from Schwartzwalder reaches Ralston Creek northwest of Golden, which flows into a reservoir that supplies drinking water for 1.3 million metro residents."

    "Tests along Ralston Creek have found elevated uranium levels as high as 310 parts per billion, well above the 30 ppb state health standard for drinking water."

    Colorado demands Cotter Corp. clean up mine that's leaking uranium - The Denver Post

    Don't drink the water! It's not just for Mexico any longer.

  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,576
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    If you are not breaking the law than it isn't a problem. Right?
    Well, no, it is a problem. As Ben Franklin said, "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." So regardless of whether or not you're breaking the law, we, as citizens, have to hold the government to the rule of law. Being apathetic because you're "not doing anything wrong" is a slippery slope.

    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    this thread is so full of awesome
    No, this thread is so full of fail that that word doesn't even come close to doing it justice!

    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman View Post
    Hey people. Just FYI

    Do your homework.

    Sadly, you might even find out your uncle is a wacko.
    And that's being nice. Now where's that ignore button?

  24. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pau11y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,867

    A cattle mutilation bump

    Yeah?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pau11y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,867
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    this thread is so full of awesome
    No, THIS is the awesomeness: Chicken Power
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

  26. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rogbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,255
    Ralston Creek cuts through the South Platte limestone, a known source of uranium on both the Front Range and in its equivalent on the Western Slope. In fact, there is a known uranium roll front along the US 285 roadcut along Turkey Creek.

    That yellow "tounge" is hot, way hot.

    I love when people,especially scientists, insist that one part of the hydrologic cycle is not connected to all other parts of the cycle.

  27. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pau11y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,867
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    Ralston Creek cuts through the South Platte limestone, a known source of uranium on both the Front Range and in its equivalent on the Western Slope. In fact, there is a known uranium roll front along the US 285 roadcut along Turkey Creek.

    That yellow "tounge" is hot, way hot.

    I love when people,especially scientists, insist that one part of the hydrologic cycle is not connected to all other parts of the cycle.
    Like this one: The Oklo Natural Nuclear Reactor
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

  28. #78
    banned
    Reputation: KarateChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,865
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    No, this thread is so full of fail that that word doesn't even come close to doing it justice!
    your sarcasm meter is broken

  29. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,291
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    It's against the law for you or I to peep in peoples windows, why do feel it's ok for the cops to do so using a drone?
    If you can see into my window while flying, my windows may be too large.

    But don't the police have the power via search warrants already? But I'm guessing "drones" create more traffic on conspiracy websites.....because it sounds so......conspiracyish....you know, like a drone brought down the twin towers. Or was it a drone at the Pentagon? Is there anything a drone can't do?

    Besides, I thought this topic was about the military's use of drones? Now we're afraid of drones as traffic cops? Is that what they're doing in SE Colorado??

  30. #80
    Almost Human
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,594
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Besides, I thought this topic was about the military's use of drones? Now we're afraid of drones as traffic cops? Is that what they're doing in SE Colorado??

  31. #81
    skillz to pay billz
    Reputation: nOOby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,554
    This libtard is against people killing each other, whether they are in the plane or flying it remote with a big mac on their desk in some container in vegas. Probably even more against remote killing since it's more abstract and easily written off.

  32. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Besides, I thought this topic was about the military's use of drones? Now we're afraid of drones as traffic cops? Is that what they're doing in SE Colorado??
    Kinda silly too considering highway patrol has used aircraft for patrolling for decades... guy must have never noticed the signs on highways "Patrolled by Aircraft"


    Personally, I love seeing the fighter jets, Apaches and other super rad flying toys around all the time. watching some of those big lifters come in low is pretty badass.

  33. #83
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,491
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post
    I can see drones' usefulness in a military capacity but, as a habitual speeder I don't want to see a swarm of drones ticketing all of us ordinary citizens as we go about our mundane otherwise lawful days. Its like another electronic babysitter. I cannot see a municipality resisting such a revenue stream and I can see the use of drones to monitor citizens spiraling out of control because domestic law enforcement agencies don't know when to quit. I can see why the military needs to be able to train with drones but unfortunately domestic law enforcement must be salivating at the prospect of utilizing them as well. I'd be cool with drones if they were only used to kill bad guys over seas.
    Given what these things cost I don't think you'll have to worry about drones being used to catch speeders anytime soon.

  34. #84
    Almost Human
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,594
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Given what these things cost I don't think you'll have to worry about drones being used to catch speeders anytime soon.
    They're paid for with DHS grants. It doesn't cost the city anything, DHS just bills the taxpayers. It's already starting in the UK.

    Aerial surveillance push - Local News - News - General - The Canberra Times

    "Police have suggested that Canberra's new point-to-point speed cameras be linked to unmanned aerial surveillance drones and used to track vehicles of interest to authorities.

    The first of the cameras, which use automated number plate recognition technology to calculate a car's average speed and whether it is within the legal limit, are due to be switched on by the end of the year.

    But minutes of a Government point-to-point steering committee meeting held in June last year show that police recommended a broader range of uses for the cameras."


    Spaceborne Speedtraps: Satellites Help Plate-Reading Cameras Continuously Track Speeding Drivers | Popular Science
    "Evasive speed demons may have a harder time avoid"ing a GPS-enabled speed camera which can capture license plate numbers under any weather condition, 24 hours a day. The new speed cameras in the UK use GPS satellites to help measure cars' average driving speeds over long distances, The Telegraph reports.

    The newspaper obtained details on the speed camera trials in a House of Commons report. One system has been set up in Southwark, London, and the other between Antony and Torpoint in Cornwall.

    The camera system combines plate-reading technology with a GPS satellite receiver, and would help cover the network of streets such as those found in residential neighborhoods, according to the UK's Automobile Association.

    The SpeedSpike system was developed by PIPS Technology Ltd, a U.S. company. Unlike radar enforcement checkpoints where wary drivers slow down, a number of SpeedSpike cameras would cover far greater zones."

    There it is right there ^^.

    EDIT:
    How do you think CDOT puts those ETA's on the digital highway signs?
    It's not drones, no. It's tracking technology in those Faspasses, cell towers and GPS chips in cell phones. GPS mandated in the The Warning, Alert and Response Network (WARN) Act, and the The Wireless Communications and Public Safety Act of 1999.

    Everyone said "oh they'll never do that. What are you wearing a tin foil hat?"
    No. Look in a mirror, I'm not the one with the tin foil hat.
    Last edited by UncleTrail; 11-02-2011 at 09:48 AM.

  35. #85
    banned
    Reputation: KarateChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,865
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJosiah View Post
    Personally, I love seeing the fighter jets, Apaches and other super rad flying toys around all the time. watching some of those big lifters come in low is pretty badass.
    LAPES is the coolest big lifter steez.


  36. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2wheelsnotfour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,878
    If you're referring to my post about drones and traffic enforcement. I am well aware of the use of aircraft in traffic enforcement. I'm not in favor of that either. In my opinion the police should focus less on doling out speeding tickets to people who are, essentially good citizens, and focus instead on enforcing more significant laws and catching real criminals. Unfortunately, traffic enforcement is low hanging fruit leading to easy revenue, hence, the focus on monitoring traffic.

    I would actually be in favor of the use of drones for surveillance of, say, drug dealers domestically. I just don't trust the police not to get over zealous in monitoring people who are essentially law abiding citizens driving their cars imperfectly. I also don't like the use of cameras for traffic enforcement. I am in favor of the use of drones to monitor and kill terrorists abroad. It will be interesting if drones were used that way domestically. I am willing to give the military and CIA wider berth then domestic police due to the nature of their work.

    I am currently reading "The Triple Agent" by Joby Warrick.

    http://www.amazon.com/Triple-Agent-a.../dp/0385534183

    The book is not specifically about the use of drones, however, it includes a lot of information regarding their use in the Middle East to monitor and kill terrorists. It also talks about the people behind target selection called targeters. Its a fascinating book and I have come to respect those involved in the fight against terror including the targeters.

  37. #87
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,158
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJosiah View Post
    Kinda silly too considering highway patrol has used aircraft for patrolling for decades... guy must have never noticed the signs on highways "Patrolled by Aircraft"
    The best is when the signs say, "Enforced by Aircraft". Keep your eyes open for planes pulling people over...
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

  38. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    The best is when the signs say, "Enforced by Aircraft". Keep your eyes open for planes pulling people over...
    Ha ha I have seen those too!

    Automated ticketing is on it's way out, many states have already outlawed red light cameras, heck they only lasted a year here in the Springs and are being yanked in '12.

    The (at least American) public just won't stand for the automated policing, not to mention all the legal loopholes.

  39. #89
    Almost Human
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,594
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    The best is when the signs say, "Enforced by Aircraft". Keep your eyes open for planes pulling people over...
    I mentioned the signs earlier in the thread. CDOT no longer enforces speed with aircraft, but they have never taken the signs down.

    Laugh all you want, I predict by 2014 drones will be used for traffic enforcement somewhere in the US, and the precedent will be set for other communities to follow. At the present time Houston and Miami are the bell weather cities to watch. NYC, DC and LA are also cities I would expect to see a roll out of this technology.

    I know of a former coworker who has had a relative photographed through a window in their house. That's here in CO. The drones/blimps are already up there. You just haven't been told about it. One company tests the blimps out on the east side of el paso county near Calhan. Google high altitude blimps colorado springs. There are several local manufacturers.

    So, when a frog is placed in a pot of water and it is brought to a slow boil, the frog doesn't realize he's being cooked until it's too late. Don't be a frog your whole life.

  40. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2wheelsnotfour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,878
    I agree with the frog analogy. We slowly, willingly, and even happily give away our liberty and privacy a bit each day in this country.

  41. #91
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,881
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby View Post
    This libtard is against people killing each other, whether they are in the plane or flying it remote with a big mac on their desk in some container in vegas. Probably even more against remote killing since it's more abstract and easily written off.
    So when there is a crazed nut job standing in front of you with a finger on a switch that will kill 20 people all at once, you'll try and talk him out of it?

    Good luck with that.

  42. #92
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,881
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    I mentioned the signs earlier in the thread. CDOT no longer enforces speed with aircraft, but they have never taken the signs down.

    Laugh all you want, I predict by 2014 drones will be used for traffic enforcement somewhere in the US, and the precedent will be set for other communities to follow. At the present time Houston and Miami are the bell weather cities to watch. NYC, DC and LA are also cities I would expect to see a roll out of this technology.
    Can't wait to see those sidewinders lock onto the exhaust of someone coming around fast on the Morrison curve. What will Morrison do with all those clean white cars of theirs?

  43. #93
    Almost Human
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,594
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    What will Morrison do with all those clean white cars of theirs?
    You can be sure they won't be enforcing immigration laws.

  44. #94
    Almost Human
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,594
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    So when there is a crazed nut job standing in front of you with a finger on a switch that will kill 20 people all at once, you'll try and talk him out of it?
    Like this guy?

    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XnqRT4UmUE8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

  45. #95
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,881
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    Like this guy?

    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XnqRT4UmUE8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Oh, the Zahner. My Colorado stalker. He got hit by a car last week. Now his lawyer is going to make him a rich schizophrenic homeless guy. Scary.

  46. #96
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,491
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post
    If you're referring to my post about drones and traffic enforcement. I am well aware of the use of aircraft in traffic enforcement. I'm not in favor of that either. In my opinion the police should focus less on doling out speeding tickets to people who are, essentially good citizens, and focus instead on enforcing more significant laws and catching real criminals. Unfortunately, traffic enforcement is low hanging fruit leading to easy revenue, hence, the focus on monitoring traffic.

    I would actually be in favor of the use of drones for surveillance of, say, drug dealers domestically. I just don't trust the police not to get over zealous in monitoring people who are essentially law abiding citizens driving their cars imperfectly. I also don't like the use of cameras for traffic enforcement. I am in favor of the use of drones to monitor and kill terrorists abroad. It will be interesting if drones were used that way domestically. I am willing to give the military and CIA wider berth then domestic police due to the nature of their work.

    I am currently reading "The Triple Agent" by Joby Warrick.

    http://www.amazon.com/Triple-Agent-a.../dp/0385534183

    The book is not specifically about the use of drones, however, it includes a lot of information regarding their use in the Middle East to monitor and kill terrorists. It also talks about the people behind target selection called targeters. Its a fascinating book and I have come to respect those involved in the fight against terror including the targeters.
    All you gotta do is not speed.

  47. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BaeckerX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,228
    Let's talk about the real issue here...people posting giant photos on MTBR that take up the entire screen and make you have to side scroll to read anything. Fack.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

  48. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2wheelsnotfour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,878
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    All you gotta do is not speed.
    Actually I have slowed down but the real issue is the focus of police on petty traffic infractions as apposed to more significant crimes. Of course, that is to be expected. Its easier from the police to focus on traffic infractions rather then more significant crimes and local governments enjoy the revenue. Its not about safety, its about revenue. It disconcerting that generally good law abiding citizens so willingly submit to constant monitoring without so much as raising an eye brow at the situation and its getting worse with cameras and such.

  49. #99
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    So when there is a crazed nut job standing in front of you with a finger on a switch that will kill 20 people all at once, you'll try and talk him out of it?

    Good luck with that.
    Just for the lols, in your scenario above, please tell us what you'd do. Pretty please. I haven't had a good laugh in at least 5-minutes now.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  50. #100
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    LAPES is the coolest big lifter steez.

    Right up until the drogue chute goes out early, the Herc can't pull up, it inchworms across the DZ and into the trees turning troops into pizza along the way.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Colorado
    By lostboyz in forum Arizona
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-26-2009, 08:09 PM
  2. Colorado fall colors - the Colorado trail
    By jake7 in forum Passion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 12:04 PM
  3. Some what New to Colorado
    By superhawk in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-11-2008, 12:44 PM
  4. Colorado
    By bones get broke in forum Colorado - Western Slope
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-25-2007, 11:01 PM
  5. Where to go - colorado?
    By samthegoat in forum Colorado - Western Slope
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-18-2004, 08:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •