Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    not actually bad :)

Drinks for 3+ hour rides?

Alright, so I have always just done water, and brought bars, gu, sammies, etc for longer rides. This year I'm going to try drinking more energy down. Just got a bottle of endurox
    r4, and gonna try it.
    It actually says it's more for post-rides, but I'll try and see how it goes.
    What're "youse guys" using??!!
    Old Codger

Heathen
    I used to use Endurox many years ago. Then they made Accerlerade. Used that for a few years. Now I'm using Hammer Perpetuem.

Endurox products were good but gave me lots of gas. The Hammer stuff seems much better from that respect.

Sometimes I drink a Nuun pre-ride.

Candlestick Maker
    Hammer Sustained Energy has been working well for me...
    baker

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    +1 on hammer products. My favorite is the heed and i always bring along electrolytes.
    Post-ride i always stick with beer.

Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    Alright, so I have always just done water, and brought bars, gu, sammies, etc for longer rides. This year I'm going to try drinking more energy down. Just got a bottle of endurox
    r4, and gonna try it.
    It actually says it's more for post-rides, but I'll try and see how it goes.

ride
    Old Chub It's thick and makes good trail food.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Awesomist™
    Whiskey.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

not actually bad :)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450
    Post-ride i always stick with beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    Old Chub

I had an assumption that it wouldn't take long for this to come up, so I told myself I'd buy a beer for the 1st one to mention it. Since cbrock450 at least mentioned it (though it was post-ride) I'll buy one for you both.
    See you tonight at T.I.T.S. cbrock450?
    ignazjr, hopefully I'll see you this w/e. Will be up at my parent's place in Estes helping them work on Sat, hoping to get a decent ride in starting around 2, then probably stopping by Lyons on the way home later. I'll track you down at the festival. Although, I will probably have to wait to buy you the beer - I s'pose you'll be getting them free already!!
    Looks like Hammer's the early leader. Do you get it online or at a store?
    Old Codger

now in superlight!
    I've been using Gu2o for the last year or so during my long rides. Lara bars also pack quite the calorie punch for not a big size as well. post rides usually is a fat tire, sunshine wheat or blue moon...now I'm thirsty!!
    If you don't stop whining- I'll call the whaaaa-mbulance!

skillz to pay billz
    4 parts water, one part lemonade

mtbr member
    I had an assumption that it wouldn't take long for this to come up
    I'll let you experiment with the Strannys tonight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sounds good to me!!
    I do drink beer on rides but not that often.
    If i am riding with PBR or if i can sneak a beer in someone's pack before the ride i will always have one.

I had an assumption that it wouldn't take long for this to come up, so I told myself I'd buy a beer for the 1st one to mention it. Since cbrock450 at least mentioned it (though it was post-ride) I'll buy one for you both.
    See you tonight at T.I.T.S. cbrock450?
    ignazjr, hopefully I'll see you this w/e. Will be up at my parent's place in Estes helping them work on Sat, hoping to get a decent ride in starting around 2, then probably stopping by Lyons on the way home later. I'll track you down at the festival. Although, I will probably have to wait to buy you the beer - I s'pose you'll be getting them free already!!
    Looks like Hammer's the early leader. Do you get it online or at a store?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    4 parts water, one part lemonade
    This is the cheap-a$$'s energy drink. And it works.

skillz to pay billz
    not so cheap when you're using organic lemonade from whole paychecks.

holding back the darkness
    Careful with the Hammer stuff.
    I agree that it works, but the pancake-batter taste turns some people off, but then those who are tired of HIghFructoseCornSyrup sweetness dig that kind of light flavor.
    The biggest obstacle I found with it is the high protein content and lack of clever chemical preservatives make it prone to spoilage on long, hot rides.
    Nothing is less refreshing that reaching down for a cool drink only to find your bottle to be swollen with some sort of decomposition. A little gross.
    That having been considered their products DO work well and contain natural ingredients, you just might want to sample them before committing to the whole $40 family-size jug of the stuff.
    I'm all for the low-budget fixes. Kool-aid with a little added salt, Nooby's Lemonade, whatever. Vitamin Water is 10 for 10 at King Soopers right now.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The heed is more like a weak tasting gatorade, i got the pancacke mix hammer stuff on sale and nothing taste worse than curdling milk on a 100 degree day. Boy was i screwed when i left the pancake mix in my camelback for a few days after a ride. Horrific!!! I don't care how great it works i will never use it again

Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    Careful with the Hammer stuff.
    I agree that it works, but the pancake-batter taste turns some people off, but then those who are tired of HIghFructoseCornSyrup sweetness dig that kind of light flavor.
    The biggest obstacle I found with it is the high protein content and lack of clever chemical preservatives make it prone to spoilage on long, hot rides.
    Nothing is less refreshing that reaching down for a cool drink only to find your bottle to be swollen with some sort of decomposition. A little gross.
    That having been considered their products DO work well and contain natural ingredients, you just might want to sample them before committing to the whole $40 family-size jug of the stuff.
    I'm all for the low-budget fixes. Kool-aid with a little added salt, Nooby's Lemonade, whatever. Vitamin Water is 10 for 10 at King Soopers right now.

Tribe Member
    Enervite stuff works for me.

Your results may vary though
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    not so cheap when you're using organic lemonade from whole paychecks.
    Still cheap when you're comparing it to all this "specially formulated" stuff being suggested.

I use good ol' Country Time powder...

Stayin' Puft
    Endurox is a recovery drink.

I use Gatorade powder, half-concentration (one little scoop per water bottle.) Water in the pack. Eating traditional trail mix of M&M's, peanuts, and raisins. Sometimes some Craisins for flair. Mmmm...simple sugars! Longer rides an apple or other fruit gets thrown in, really long then a PB&J sandwich and maybe a bar or two.

Recovery drink: Chocolate Milk. Yum.

I am an ex-Hammer "team" member and spent hundreds on their stuff. I really like their vitamins and some of the pill supplements. Endurolytes can be a life saver used sparingly. Their fuels...meh...I am not a maltodextrin fan. And protein in the drink is a sure formula for stink if forgotten in a bottle or camelback.

Gotta go make my trail mix up for the TITS ride now and eat some scrambled eggs...later...

<100%
    Occasionally good old Gatorade but normally I try to keep my sugar and my water separate. All sugar drinks get nasty when they get warm, especially the ones with protein in them - blech.

Endurox is good as a recovery drink as long as it is kept nice and cold.

skillz to pay billz
    hydroxycut

Grams Light Bikes
    Water...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    For a big ride I take 100oz of water in the hydration pack and a 28oz bottle of mixed up stuff. Water works for most of the time but it's nice to have some extra boost on the longer rides or even just before big climbs...

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    I like Endurox R4 - when I raced CX, it was the only thing I found that would hold my stomach down post race. Not sure how it is for riding, but it's great for recovery.
    Now with more vitriol!

old enough to know better
    Drinks that I like:
    1) Gatorade Endurance - hard to find but really good - lots of sodium
    2) Powerbar Endurance - available at Performance

I hate Hammer Sustained Energy. After having successfully trained with it for a month or so, I couldn't digest the protein in Sustained Energy one day on my "A" race of the year and it cost me my race. Because of this, I am very leary of any energy drink with protein.

My $0.02 from my experience. YMMV

mtbr member
    +1 Perpetuem.

Spent a year training for an Ironman, used Perpetuem for all my long rides. Not the best taste though.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast