Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    not actually bad :)

Drinks for 3+ hour rides?

Alright, so I have always just done water, and brought bars, gu, sammies, etc for longer rides. This year I'm going to try drinking more energy down. Just got a bottle of endurox
    r4, and gonna try it.
    It actually says it's more for post-rides, but I'll try and see how it goes.
    What're "youse guys" using??!!
    Old Codger

Heathen
    I used to use Endurox many years ago. Then they made Accerlerade. Used that for a few years. Now I'm using Hammer Perpetuem.

Endurox products were good but gave me lots of gas. The Hammer stuff seems much better from that respect.

Sometimes I drink a Nuun pre-ride.

Candlestick Maker
    Hammer Sustained Energy has been working well for me...
    baker

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    +1 on hammer products. My favorite is the heed and i always bring along electrolytes.
    Post-ride i always stick with beer.

Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    Alright, so I have always just done water, and brought bars, gu, sammies, etc for longer rides. This year I'm going to try drinking more energy down. Just got a bottle of endurox
    r4, and gonna try it.
    It actually says it's more for post-rides, but I'll try and see how it goes.

ride
    Old Chub It's thick and makes good trail food.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Awesomist™
    Whiskey.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450
    Post-ride i always stick with beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    Old Chub

I had an assumption that it wouldn't take long for this to come up, so I told myself I'd buy a beer for the 1st one to mention it. Since cbrock450 at least mentioned it (though it was post-ride) I'll buy one for you both.
    See you tonight at T.I.T.S. cbrock450?
    ignazjr, hopefully I'll see you this w/e. Will be up at my parent's place in Estes helping them work on Sat, hoping to get a decent ride in starting around 2, then probably stopping by Lyons on the way home later. I'll track you down at the festival. Although, I will probably have to wait to buy you the beer - I s'pose you'll be getting them free already!!
    Looks like Hammer's the early leader. Do you get it online or at a store?
    Old Codger

now in superlight!
    I've been using Gu2o for the last year or so during my long rides. Lara bars also pack quite the calorie punch for not a big size as well. post rides usually is a fat tire, sunshine wheat or blue moon...now I'm thirsty!!
    If you don't stop whining- I'll call the whaaaa-mbulance!

skillz to pay billz
    4 parts water, one part lemonade

mtbr member
    I had an assumption that it wouldn't take long for this to come up
    I'll let you experiment with the Strannys tonight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sounds good to me!!
    I do drink beer on rides but not that often.
    If i am riding with PBR or if i can sneak a beer in someone's pack before the ride i will always have one.

I had an assumption that it wouldn't take long for this to come up, so I told myself I'd buy a beer for the 1st one to mention it. Since cbrock450 at least mentioned it (though it was post-ride) I'll buy one for you both.
    See you tonight at T.I.T.S. cbrock450?
    ignazjr, hopefully I'll see you this w/e. Will be up at my parent's place in Estes helping them work on Sat, hoping to get a decent ride in starting around 2, then probably stopping by Lyons on the way home later. I'll track you down at the festival. Although, I will probably have to wait to buy you the beer - I s'pose you'll be getting them free already!!
    Looks like Hammer's the early leader. Do you get it online or at a store?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    This is the cheap-a$$'s energy drink. And it works.

skillz to pay billz
    not so cheap when you're using organic lemonade from whole paychecks.

holding back the darkness
    Careful with the Hammer stuff.
    I agree that it works, but the pancake-batter taste turns some people off, but then those who are tired of HIghFructoseCornSyrup sweetness dig that kind of light flavor.
    The biggest obstacle I found with it is the high protein content and lack of clever chemical preservatives make it prone to spoilage on long, hot rides.
    Nothing is less refreshing that reaching down for a cool drink only to find your bottle to be swollen with some sort of decomposition. A little gross.
    That having been considered their products DO work well and contain natural ingredients, you just might want to sample them before committing to the whole $40 family-size jug of the stuff.
    I'm all for the low-budget fixes. Kool-aid with a little added salt, Nooby's Lemonade, whatever. Vitamin Water is 10 for 10 at King Soopers right now.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The heed is more like a weak tasting gatorade, i got the pancacke mix hammer stuff on sale and nothing taste worse than curdling milk on a 100 degree day. Boy was i screwed when i left the pancake mix in my camelback for a few days after a ride. Horrific!!! I don't care how great it works i will never use it again

Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    Careful with the Hammer stuff.
    I agree that it works, but the pancake-batter taste turns some people off, but then those who are tired of HIghFructoseCornSyrup sweetness dig that kind of light flavor.
    The biggest obstacle I found with it is the high protein content and lack of clever chemical preservatives make it prone to spoilage on long, hot rides.
    Nothing is less refreshing that reaching down for a cool drink only to find your bottle to be swollen with some sort of decomposition. A little gross.
    That having been considered their products DO work well and contain natural ingredients, you just might want to sample them before committing to the whole $40 family-size jug of the stuff.
    I'm all for the low-budget fixes. Kool-aid with a little added salt, Nooby's Lemonade, whatever. Vitamin Water is 10 for 10 at King Soopers right now.

Tribe Member
    Enervite stuff works for me.

Your results may vary though
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    not so cheap when you're using organic lemonade from whole paychecks.
    Still cheap when you're comparing it to all this "specially formulated" stuff being suggested.

I use good ol' Country Time powder...

Stayin' Puft
    Endurox is a recovery drink.

I use Gatorade powder, half-concentration (one little scoop per water bottle.) Water in the pack. Eating traditional trail mix of M&M's, peanuts, and raisins. Sometimes some Craisins for flair. Mmmm...simple sugars! Longer rides an apple or other fruit gets thrown in, really long then a PB&J sandwich and maybe a bar or two.

Recovery drink: Chocolate Milk. Yum.

I am an ex-Hammer "team" member and spent hundreds on their stuff. I really like their vitamins and some of the pill supplements. Endurolytes can be a life saver used sparingly. Their fuels...meh...I am not a maltodextrin fan. And protein in the drink is a sure formula for stink if forgotten in a bottle or camelback.

Gotta go make my trail mix up for the TITS ride now and eat some scrambled eggs...later...

<100%
    Occasionally good old Gatorade but normally I try to keep my sugar and my water separate. All sugar drinks get nasty when they get warm, especially the ones with protein in them - blech.

Endurox is good as a recovery drink as long as it is kept nice and cold.

skillz to pay billz
    hydroxycut

The MTB Lab
    Water...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    For a big ride I take 100oz of water in the hydration pack and a 28oz bottle of mixed up stuff. Water works for most of the time but it's nice to have some extra boost on the longer rides or even just before big climbs...

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    I like Endurox R4 - when I raced CX, it was the only thing I found that would hold my stomach down post race. Not sure how it is for riding, but it's great for recovery.
    Now with more vitriol!

old enough to know better
    Drinks that I like:
    1) Gatorade Endurance - hard to find but really good - lots of sodium
    2) Powerbar Endurance - available at Performance

I hate Hammer Sustained Energy. After having successfully trained with it for a month or so, I couldn't digest the protein in Sustained Energy one day on my "A" race of the year and it cost me my race. Because of this, I am very leary of any energy drink with protein.

My $0.02 from my experience. YMMV

mtbr member
    +1 Perpetuem.

Spent a year training for an Ironman, used Perpetuem for all my long rides. Not the best taste though.

what nice teeth you have
    Either Gatorade or Propel (packets) depending on how long I am riding and how hot it is. I use gu packets too.

tiny rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    For a big ride I take 100oz of water in the hydration pack and a 28oz bottle of mixed up stuff. Water works for most of the time but it's nice to have some extra boost on the longer rides or even just before big climbs...
    This is, for me, the best strategy. I'll bring a bottle or two of double or even triple strength energy drink, and then fill the pack with water with NUUN tables (or the equivalent) which don't make the bladder nasty and have little flavor. I like being able to change what I'm drinking on the bike, and actually think Perpetuem is better at double strength chased with water than it is mixed as directed.

For shorter long rides, just basic stuff like Cytomax and Gatorade seem to work well. But if you're looking at longer rides, you probably need some protein in there, either in the drink or as solid food. And for some folks, it sounds like solid food and liquid food don't mix too well.

You'll just have to do lots of long rides and try different combinations yourself.

So many tasty beers to try....

mtbr member
    Nobody likes Cytomax? It's light, and does the job for me.

This is how it started...
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79
    Nobody likes Cytomax?
    Cytomax is so last year.....
    Life is about the ride.

Heathen
    Another comment.. I only put water in the water pack. Mixes to in the bottle.

percocet pioneer.
    Has anyone tried the Gatorade Endurance?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdsantacruzer
    Cytomax is so last year.....
    Yeah, that's about how when I bought it!

mtbr member
    A good old decarbinated coca cola works great & tastes wonderful & don't forget your
    banana's... Happy hammer'in.......

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Here is another similar thread with some good information:

Hammer VS. Infinit Nutrition

Heads up Flyboy!!
    see below

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Hey Andy,
    I got permission from the Mad Scientist to share what I've been using for the past 3 weeks or so.

This is for a 9 to 1 carb to protein ratio

1 container Gatorade( I like the orange)...I usually can only find it in the 18.4 oz size about $3

1 container Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein, Vanilla. $20 for a 2 lb container that will last for 2-3 months depending on consumption

In powder form :
    I mix 2 scoops Body Fortress( approx 52 grams carbs) to the 1 container of Gatorade 18.4 oz, 37 servings( approx 481 grams carbs). I usually do this in a tupperware container and shake well for 2 minutes or so and then transfer back to the Gatorade container.

In a 1 liter bottle I fill it 3/4 full of water then use approx 2.5 tablespoon powder mix.

This has been working great for me so far..and I know PBR has become a junky of it

Cheers!

Jeremy

Heathen
    The whey protein is the thing that gives me mucho gas in Endurox/Accelerade.

When I was a little more active in endurance slogfest racing (100 miles, 24 hours, ect..) I was a subscriber to the "no solid food" plan.
    Simple sugars and electrolytes are regular intervals. Actually, according the numbers I had it was almost impossible for me to remain sodium neutral. I would have had to eat a double-sodium powergel about every ten minutes.
    Anyway.... protein fortified drinks, electrolyte drinks, gels, capsules...ect.

I have experienced little else more satisfying than a nice sandwich out on a ride. I'm not talking 'bout no PBnJ neither. I'm talking 'bout a SAMMICH. Like a nice sub, french bread, at least two, maybe three kinds of salted meats, cheese, lettucetomatocucumbersprouts. Banana peppers. Mustard.
    A sandwich like that saved my life once. I am forever indebted. Stick somethin like that in your camelbak and it'll bring you back to life quicker'n you can say "Jack Robinson".

Anywho... if you're going out all day and you're not racing just bring stuff you like. Delicious clean water. The aforementioned sandwich. Beef Jerky. Candy. Gummi bears, if subjected to sufficient heat and time will join forces into a congealed Gummi Voltron. Mmmm gummi deliciousness combined.
    **** censorship

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    <snip>

I have experienced little else more satisfying than a nice sandwich out on a ride. I'm not talking 'bout no PBnJ neither. I'm talking 'bout a SAMMICH. Like a nice sub, french bread, at least two, maybe three kinds of salted meats, cheese, lettucetomatocucumbersprouts. Banana peppers. Mustard.
    A sandwich like that saved my life once. I am forever indebted. Stick somethin like that in your camelbak and it'll bring you back to life quicker'n you can say "Jack Robinson".
    Bingo. On big rides The Sammich is king of the energy bars.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I need light food on rides in small regular portions on long rides. Sandwiches sit in my stomach like a lead weight.

As to energy drinks II use Cytomax and accelerade for long rides. Having those small regular doses of calories and electrolytes makes a big difference after a couple hours in the saddle. For shorter rides I use emergen C. Not a lot of calories, but good electrolytes and vitamans.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    I need light food on rides in small regular portions on long rides. Sandwiches sit in my stomach like a lead weight.
    On a big ride you're supposed to take a nap after The Sammich.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyToyz
    The whey protein is the thing that gives me mucho gas in Endurox/Accelerade.
    Accelerade also uses a 4 to 1 carb to protein mix....That tends to be to much for alot of people to handle. The above mix is a 9 to 1 carb to protein

Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    Sandwiches sit in my stomach like a lead weight.
    Mmmmm... delicious lead weight.
    **** censorship

Great feedback everyone.
    I used the endurox last night and rode from 4:30 until 8:30 or 9. Wasn't ever hungry, didn't eat anything, just the endurox and water. Took a gulp of endurox every 15-30 minutes. According to the label, it's 270 calories per serving, and like mentioned, 4-1 carb-protein. The protein is what I need for longer rides, or else I really hit the wall big time. I don't mind eating stuff, just was looking for a change. S'pose to be a recovery drink, but seemed to work well for me during the ride.
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    Flat Coke. Leave the bottle open overnight so you get rid of the carbonation. It's a great mix of caffeine and sugar.
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” -Ernest Hemingway

mtbr member
    +1, cheap and works... tastes good!

EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The thought of getting down any of those protein recovery kinds of things on a long, hot ride makes my stomach curdle. Definitely clean your bottles well after use. I have sampled a wide variety of the fancier energy drinks and ultimately have reverted to salty sugar water. Either salt (half and half lite salt and regular to get a similar sodium/potassium ratio to Gatorade) and dilute lemonade powder, or powdered Gatorade. Or, salt, sugar, maltodextrin, and whatever flavor of kool aid you like. Cytomax is good for my legs but terrible for my stomach.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

I like 'em either blond and fruity or dark and chocolaty

Heathen
    How about warm milk mixed with a couple eggs for protein?

mtbr member
    I used to drink cytomax, then switched to the Gu drink, then Powerbar endurance. I don't really like any of them. I read somewhere that it's cheap to make your own with maltodextrin. I bought a jug of pure maltodextrin from nutritiongeaks.com for like $11 and it's a huge jug. Right now I flavor it with a bit of Powerbar powder, once that's gone I'll just use a little lemonade. And I add a bit of salt for electrolytes. It works great, tastes fine, no gas, and it's cheap. I hear good things about Hammer products but I don't like the prices.

friend of Apex
    Am I the only one that carries Sodium tablets?
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast