Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dowdy Draw!

EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Doudy Draw!

Hooray! We have a new trail to ride in Boulder! I helped out with the work day yesterday; the city opened the trail yesterday afternoon. The city crew rerouted a very steep switchback and the volunteer crew worked with the city folks to rework a stream crossing, polish the new trail, and improve drainage (badly needed) on the existing trail. Fun stuff !

If you look closely, you can see that water has nowhere to go but down the trail . These two are "before" pictures. We did a lot of "de-berming." PITA with lots of roots, rocks, and bullet-proof clay soils but totally necessary.

dd1.jpg

This area has really nice views, too.

dd4.jpg

IttyBittyBetty, Lynn, and I were ready to ride before the city was ready to open the trail, so we headed across the road to Marhsall Mesa/High Plains.

dd3.jpg

dd5.jpg

By the time we got back, the new signs were in place (meaning that the trail was open), and IBB and I just *had* to go ride at least a few yards of the new stuff, though we were pretty tired after after trailwork plus bike ride. And by golly if Eldorado Canyon didn't just offer up the shot of the week.

dd2.jpg

PSA: The soil on the singletrack has a very high clay content. The drainage should be immensely better now, but please let it dry out this week......end of sermon .
    Last edited by EJP; 11-09-2007 at 07:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Just in time for winter, thanks for all your hard work and the others too.

ride
    Thanks for the update and the work, EJP. Thanks to all others, as well! Over the next year, the city will be building more singletrack (multi use) down there, too. That will be a real gem of an area for south Boulder. This has been a long time coming.

Quote Originally Posted by EJP
    PSA: The soil on the singletrack has a very high clay content. The drainage should be immensely better now, but please let it dry out this week......end of sermon .
    No doubt. Rutting that thing out now would do nothing but give more ammo to the anti bike folk. Opening this trail was a very big deal. Not so much because it's a fantastic ride, but because this is the first reversal of the long standing policy in City of Boulder that outlawed bikes on city open space and parks.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Rolling
    Is there a preferred way to ride this when you ride from marshall mesa and include the greenbelt plateau trail, which I presume is what is expected?

mtbmike

Some days are better than others....

Thanks to Oskar Blues for the hot food, Boulder County Horsemen's Association for breakfast, and OSMP for organizing this event.

This was the first step in making 10 to 12 miles of new trail happen in this area over the next year and the first real evidence that the twenty five year ban on bikes west of Broadway is truely OVER.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mtbmike
    Longmont Colorado

The world is run by those that show up....

Rolling
    Truly classic photos...

Good thing Dales comes in cans too! (too bad it's more than 3.2)

Way to go Mike!

mtbr member
    This is very cool to know I was not sure where this was but i looked at trail.com and found it what a cool trail i have walked here a few times and now we can ride it This is great news.
    Last edited by YETI_Chris; 10-21-2007 at 01:38 PM.

skillz to pay billz
    what? You can only bring 3.2 beer on the trail?

Ride Everything
    Major props for this. Hope to enjoy it next weekend.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    what? You can only bring 3.2 beer on the trail?
    Ya, if you read the signs, it says no Alcohol more than 3.2...That makes wine a really tough one.

"State law prohibits the possession or consumption of any beverage having an alcohol content greater than 3.2% in any public place."

I could get in trouble for that a lot...one day I had a park ranger interaction with my dog while I had a Bottle of beer. I put it in my pocket when I saw him ahead of time...I lucked out. I am such a criminal. I might as well poach a trail, at night with my dog and beer, while he poops on the trail to make it complete.

trail waggler

Yeah!...

Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    I might as well poach a trail, at night with my dog and beer, while he poops on the trail to make it complete.
    Hall Ranch? I'll bring Cindee and some Stone IPA...
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by daveM
    Hall Ranch? I'll bring Cindee and some Stone IPA...
    Definitely that time of year is approaching. I'm game for reliving those good times of 2003.

Not that 2003 has anything to do with what we just talked about ...Button rock the lips bud.

Rides Uphill Slow
    Ya, if you read the signs, it says no Alcohol more than 3.2...That makes wine a really tough one.

"State law prohibits the possession or consumption of any beverage having an alcohol content greater than 3.2% in any public place."

I could get in trouble for that a lot...one day I had a park ranger interaction with my dog while I had a Bottle of beer. I put it in my pocket when I saw him ahead of time...I lucked out. I am such a criminal. I might as well poach a trail, at night with my dog and beer, while he poops on the trail to make it complete.

Yep I got a ticket a few years back at Heil for drinking beer in the parking lot that was over 3.2 When I got home I looked up the beer I was drinking and it was 3.4 needless to say I was bit bummed. Oh well what are you going to do except hide the beer when you see the 5-0!!!
    Glad to see more trail opening up in Boulder County!
    I'm here for the downhill

contains quinine
    (too bad it's more than 3.2)
    That's why Dale makes special beer for trail days!
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    That's why Dale makes special beer for trail days!
    Yep 3.2 beer for sure...that is special
    Last edited by lidarman; 10-21-2007 at 08:16 PM.

contains quinine
    Kidding right?
    No, I'm not.

When's the last time you made a trail day? Says 'special' right on the top of the pony keg!
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

feel the Force
    Is there a preferred way to ride this when you ride from marshall mesa and include the greenbelt plateau trail, which I presume is what is expected?
    I rode it last night, at dusk. I rode MM first, all the way up to that upper lot, that's across from the DD TH. Then out DD, taking the singletrack downhill, then back up Community Ditch. Watch out on the double track after the sidehilling stuff. I came upon the little stair sections unaware, at a good clip.

It's good to have more mileage in this area, even if it's not the best stuff. While riding, I couldn't help thinking about how wide the trail was, even though no bikers have been riding it! Not the newly cut sections, I mean. Ha ha, I've seen plenty of examples of widening and braiding on hiker only trails before, but it always makes me smirk.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    No, I'm not.

When's the last time you made a trail day? Says 'special' right on the top of the pony keg!

Edit:

yep, I always had had 3.2 beer at my trail work days, way back when....
    Last edited by lidarman; 10-21-2007 at 08:19 PM.

Ride Everything
    If you cross over Hwy 93, and then take Community Ditch, you connect to DD, correct?
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Rides Uphill Slow
    Kidding right?
    Nope. Actually there were about five of us and the cop/ranger was going to give everyone a ticket but he said if we all threw our beers down right there he'd go easy on us. I think he was "flexing" Everyone else in my group drinks a bit faster than me so they all were pretty much done so they all threw their beers on the ground. I just set mine done nicely so I could finish it when he left. I got the ticket. He also went on and on about how he was "one of us" and whatnot. Either way hide your "high point" beer from the MAN!
    I'm here for the downhill

Shattering Glass
    Went to check out the new trail today. It turned my tires into a straw bale house the soil was so tacky. The first time I had to turn back this year. Winter is on it's way. Will there be more trail added there or is this it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dash
    Went to check out the new trail today. It turned my tires into a straw bale house the soil was so tacky. The first time I had to turn back this year. Winter is on it's way. Will there be more trail added there or is this it?

I was off today and thinking of hitting up this trail since i live 10 mins away but now i am glad i did not . Thanks for the pic

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by dash
    Do you think it might be dry about noon tomorrow?

Of course it's suppose to be really windy...

mtbr member

dowdy dry

i would give it a couple of days. i rode the beginning of the trail today and it got very wet once getting into the top and new section. ran into a ranger who told me that a couple of riders had turned around already. looking down at the new section, it looks very humid and in needs of some caking/drying time. of course, horses tore the bottom part near 93, not sure if they attempted the new section.

Shattering Glass
    Do you think it might be dry about noon tomorrow?

Of course it's suppose to be really windy...
    It was pretty wet. Maybe Wed but it's quite mucky and saturated. Before I got to the first switch back it was pretty gross and kept getting worse. Good luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast