mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Douglas County Riders: Highlands Ranch, Castle Rock, South Metro

I want to form a new trail advocacy group that focuses on Douglas County. There are a ton of new open spaces that are in the planning stages in Douglas County, Castle Rock, and Highlands Ranch area. Many of these areas are being open without access to mountain bikers, limited access, or 4 foot wide paths.

Just yesterday Douglas County recieved a $6.3 Million grant to develop and preserve 848 acres of Open Space South of Castle Rock. Its called Dawson Butte Ranch, and it is a crown jewell! It has massive rock formations, ponderosa pines, and wildlife including an elk herd (Imagine something like Palmer Park or Dakota Ridge that is not in or near the City).

If we are going be apart of the planning process for this property or the numerous other properties in the Douglas County area we need to unite. If you are interested in forming a mountain bike service organization that is dedicated to preserving and developing mountain bike access in this area please contact me at the email address below, and I will add your name to a list. Also, please state your interest level (i.e. I'd like to help build trails, or I'd like to be involved strategically), and if you are Douglas County resident.

Thanks,
    Brendan Miller
    millerb@qwest.net

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss

email sent

locked - time out
    Thank you for the info, count me in...

FR Noobster
    I wish we still had more land like that in Highlands Ranch but now its just 60,000 people
    I will be sure to come down and check it out!
    2004 Specialized BigHit SPEC
    Marzocchi Drop-Off Triple Forks

RIDE TO LIVE&LIVE TO RIDE
    Quote Originally Posted by pikesrider
    I want to form a new trail advocacy group that focuses on Douglas County. There are a ton of new open spaces that are in the planning stages in Douglas County, Castle Rock, and Highlands Ranch area. Many of these areas are being open without access to mountain bikers, limited access, or 4 foot wide paths.

Just yesterday Douglas County recieved a $6.3 Million grant to develop and preserve 848 acres of Open Space South of Castle Rock. Its called Dawson Butte Ranch, and it is a crown jewell! It has massive rock formations, ponderosa pines, and wildlife including an elk herd (Imagine something like Palmer Park or Dakota Ridge that is not in or near the City).

If we are going be apart of the planning process for this property or the numerous other properties in the Douglas County area we need to unite. If you are interested in forming a mountain bike service organization that is dedicated to preserving and developing mountain bike access in this area please contact me at the email address below, and I will add your name to a list. Also, please state your interest level (i.e. I'd like to help build trails, or I'd like to be involved strategically), and if you are Douglas County resident.

Thanks,
    Brendan Miller
    millerb@qwest.net
    I live in highlands ranch and i woud really love some types of trails near here. i DH race, XC race, and freeride. i would love to help. im not sure how much i could do to help other htan build though because i'm only 17.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sign me up.

Dawson Butte has huge potential. I think Douglas County already has a bike club. If I remember right they are responsible for the Indian Creek area. Whoever worked on that trail did a great job. Probably a little research will answer that. If there is no club we need to hop on it and get some of the open space open to mtn bikers.

The Blue Ribbon Coalition can be a start. They work on opening land for outdoors rec people and not just hikers.

Contact me with ideas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Count me in

Live in Castle Rock and have been beating the doors down of DC Open Space-Toby Sprunk is one person to talk to-he claims to be a mountain biker. We'll need resolve as a group because from my talks with them, they are pretty reluctant. DC is a HUGE equestrian place-which is fine, but they get dibs on most of the open space. Glendale Farms-a lame 1 mile singletrack that was built by field mower-there's some great cliffs off to the north of that property that could've been incorporated for a little longer trail and at least some excitement-but it's "horse intensive". Greenland Open Space-another trail made more for horses=but at least it's about 8 miles. Count me in, I've offered up some fairly significant $ to DC to work with me. I'm currently setting up a not for profit org to funnel trail building funds into. I'll do as much as I can to help and work with because it would be great to have another DC trail other than Indian Creek. PattD

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PattD
    Live in Castle Rock and have been beating the doors down of DC Open Space-Toby Sprunk is one person to talk to-he claims to be a mountain biker. We'll need resolve as a group because from my talks with them, they are pretty reluctant. DC is a HUGE equestrian place-which is fine, but they get dibs on most of the open space. Glendale Farms-a lame 1 mile singletrack that was built by field mower-there's some great cliffs off to the north of that property that could've been incorporated for a little longer trail and at least some excitement-but it's "horse intensive". Greenland Open Space-another trail made more for horses=but at least it's about 8 miles. Count me in, I've offered up some fairly significant $ to DC to work with me. I'm currently setting up a not for profit org to funnel trail building funds into. I'll do as much as I can to help and work with because it would be great to have another DC trail other than Indian Creek. PattD
    I totally agree, and I think I met Toby Sprunk the other day at the open space meeting. I've got a decent response from my post from interested bikers. I will send out an email and maybe we can set up a meeting in January.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I don't think I got you email address. Send me an email to millerb@qwest.net and I will add you to a distribution list.