mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Don't you love it when....

you go for a ride in an area you have been riding for ten years and FIND NEW (to you) TRAILS.

I thought I knew my local trail system like the back of my hand but I just had an epiphany while out on a ride with my dog. Once, while I was waiting for my furry friend to catch up today I looked over and saw a trail I had never even though about riding. So I figured I should probably go and see where it went. I had always thought that it was an overgrown horse trail or some worthless remnant of a mining road. Instead it lead to a nice looooong climb for a few miles to the top of a ridge. Since I had the dog I stopped at the top and descended the way I came so as not to wear him out following me as I got lost. The trail looked like it descended for miles and possibly close to a thousand feet of elevation. Going back tomorrow to find out.

The second new trail was a result of me taking the easy climb instead of the harder steeper one since I was taking it slow because the fur factory was fading (as was I after the first adventure) Turns out I found a nice flowy singletrack with a few tech sections and pretty flat all along. It looped back further down the original trail but avoided a long boring downhill and equally boring climb.

While both of these trails have been ridden by many before me they are still of the less trafficked variety. I guess a few years ago I got stuck in a rut of riding the same loop all the time in the same direction. The loop is probably some of the best singletrack in the state but having ridden it hundreds of times, I have been getting bored and started to avoid it. Now I have a whole renewed interest in the area all thanks to taking the mutt out for a mellow ride and having an open mind.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear
    you go for a ride in an area you have been riding for ten years and FIND NEW (to you) TRAILS.

I thought I knew my local trail system like the back of my hand but I just had an epiphany while out on a ride with my dog. Once, while I was waiting for my furry friend to catch up today I looked over and saw a trail I had never even though about riding. So I figured I should probably go and see where it went. I had always thought that it was an overgrown horse trail or some worthless remnant of a mining road. Instead it lead to a nice looooong climb for a few miles to the top of a ridge. Since I had the dog I stopped at the top and descended the way I came so as not to wear him out following me as I got lost. The trail looked like it descended for miles and possibly close to a thousand feet of elevation. Going back tomorrow to find out.

The second new trail was a result of me taking the easy climb instead of the harder steeper one since I was taking it slow because the fur factory was fading (as was I after the first adventure) Turns out I found a nice flowy singletrack with a few tech sections and pretty flat all along. It looped back further down the original trail but avoided a long boring downhill and equally boring climb.

While both of these trails have been ridden by many before me they are still of the less trafficked variety. I guess a few years ago I got stuck in a rut of riding the same loop all the time in the same direction. The loop is probably some of the best singletrack in the state but having ridden it hundreds of times, I have been getting bored and started to avoid it. Now I have a whole renewed interest in the area all thanks to taking the mutt out for a mellow ride and having an open mind.
    This thread is useless with out pics of said spectacular singletrack or detailed directions to such stash.

Just sayin...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    This thread is useless with out pics of said spectacular singletrack or detailed directions to such stash.

Just sayin...

Sure! Here's your directions:

. Head east on E 14th Ave toward Grant St
    0.1 mi
    2. Turn left at the 2nd cross street onto Logan St
    0.1 mi
    3. Take the 1st left onto E Colfax Ave/I-70 BUS W
    1.5 mi
    4. Merge onto I-25 S via the ramp to Colo Springs
    197 mi
    5. Take exit 14B toward Trinidad State Jr College
    0.1 mi
    6. Merge onto E Colorado Ave
    266 ft
    7. Turn left at N Commercial St
    0.5 mi
    8. Turn left at E Main St
    0.3 mi
    9. Turn right at S Ash St
    302 ft

Sorry, no pics though, dropped my camera off a two thousand foot drop at the top of the climb while trying to get the perfect picture of a unicorn.