Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    39

    Don't advertise your off trail lines

    If you are pilling the rocks in front of the roll-in at a certain trail near Lyons please stop. The large rock ramp at the entry makes it obvious to anyone going by that the line is there. If Open Space realizes we are using that rock face as a line they will destroy it. Please cover your tracks when you ride off trail. Anyway, the rock that has been there for a couple years now works just fine.
    Last edited by rhamilton; 01-22-2013 at 08:58 PM.

  2. #2
    endorphin junkie
    Reputation: dobovedo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    422
    Breaking the rules covertly rather than blatantly is still breaking the rules.

    Here's a suggestion, from an outsider who faces these same situations in a different part of the country:

    "Don't ride off line. Period."

    You all have an embarrassment of riches in the wealth of trail riding options in this region, same as we do where I live... why not enjoy what you have?
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,818
    So wait, "we" are using it but you don't want it advertised? It's OK to ride it as long as you cover your tracks? And "we" are posting here about it? Color me confused.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,123
    Thanks, thought I was the only one. Kept reading it and still didn't make sense.

  5. #5
    4.0" fully suspended
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    400
    Sorry guess I've been caught again. I like to sanitize trails. I will stop now. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

  6. #6
    I think I can.
    Reputation: JOEMTBR COLORADO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,233
    So the rock was just sitting there and someone rode over it, sounds like it was meant to be. My thoughts are as follows, if said rock is next to existing trail and becomes part of the ride, use it. If an obstacle is out of the way and a new line becomes an issue, Stop.
    Trails have a life cycle like a river, they will deviate, change and be reclaimed by nature, our job is to control drainage and erosion to the best of our ability.
    Now as for this specific issue, if you need to build a ramp or a rock assist to clean a move I would suggest you don't, many times I see fellow riders clean a move I can't, doesn't make me want to stop and stack rocks so I can be like the big boys. Ride to your skill level and in time your skills will grow.

    Thanks in advance for the negative rep.

    Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

  7. #7
    A guy on a bike Moderator
    Reputation: TobyGadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    914
    If you can't stay on the trail, then go to a resort or something.

  8. #8
    Now older but less slow!
    Reputation: TheNormsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,595
    I just wish people could stay on trail. I see this with the Marshall Mesa singletrack. A couple of years ago it was narrow singletrack. Now parts of it I becoming 6 foot wide as riders avoid "the bumpy line".


  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    453
    Yes, agreed, stay on trail..

    I do really wish we all could work together to allow for alternate lines instead of just the lowest common denominator type trails we have.. (think BlackJack at Buff creek), Free Lunch (grand junction), just about every trail at Hartmans Rocks and just about anywhere in the united states besides denver..

  10. #10
    ride
    Reputation: ignazjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,813
    BoCo is perhaps a bit more progressive than a lot of people think. On Nat'l Trails day many moons ago (2006 maybe?) we created a handful of alternate lines in the Rock Garden at Hall Ranch. If they are done right, I don't think they are opposed to more.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

  11. #11
    kgm
    kgm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    63
    Yeah its all about option left/right

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    BoCo is perhaps a bit more progressive than a lot of people think. On Nat'l Trails day many moons ago (2006 maybe?) we created a handful of alternate lines in the Rock Garden at Hall Ranch. If they are done right, I don't think they are opposed to more.
    so you are saying that the move in question is cool??

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    I just wish people could stay on trail. I see this with the Marshall Mesa singletrack. A couple of years ago it was narrow singletrack. Now parts of it I becoming 6 foot wide as riders avoid "the bumpy line".

    I agree. Don't want to hyjack this thread, but I'm seeing more and more people simply ride around me when I'm climbing and they're descending...literally riding off the trail. I don't want to be a ******, but I'm constantly yelling "please stay on the trail". Literally takes maybe 5secs to put a foot down to let climbers pass. I don't get it. Sorry if this was a mini-rant.
    It's not how old I am, it's how old I feel - Minor Threat

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro View Post
    I agree. Don't want to hyjack this thread, but I'm seeing more and more people simply ride around me when I'm climbing and they're descending...literally riding off the trail. I don't want to be a ******, but I'm constantly yelling "please stay on the trail". Literally takes maybe 5secs to put a foot down to let climbers pass. I don't get it. Sorry if this was a mini-rant.
    rant all you want, thats waht the interweb is for..

    but maybe start another thread as this is a different issue from the original post..

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie7 View Post
    rant all you want, thats waht the interweb is for..

    but maybe start another thread as this is a different issue from the original post..
    Ehh...I'm done.
    It's not how old I am, it's how old I feel - Minor Threat

  16. #16
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,497
    Tilting at windmills, Mr. Qixote... although ranting on the innerwebz usually helps for a little while.

  17. #17
    ride
    Reputation: ignazjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,813
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie7 View Post
    so you are saying that the move in question is cool??
    Not exactly. It's not up to me to say whether it's cool or not. I will say, though, and have before, that BoCo draws the line more or less at resource protection. If said line is entirely on rock and there's no grass or plants harmed then it's probably good to go. If the line makes a new trail, etc, then it's probably not good to go.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    39
    O.P. here.

    OK first, If you don't understand what I am talking about then all is good in the universe, "These are not the droids you are looking for", carry on.

    Second, no trail widening is happening by using the alt line mentioned here.

    Third, A few posters in this tread bring up a good point, trails with options are the solution. The 'follow the rules' riders are upset that people are widening the trails because they can't ride over stuff in the tread so they go around it. Then there are the advanced riders that are building ninja lines (often times a good distance away from the actual trail) to push their skills. If Open Space trails had built options that were suited to the different levels of riders instead of the current one size fits all approach then the issues above go away. Just saying.

  19. #19
    Almost Human
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,101
    Quote Originally Posted by rhamilton View Post
    Then there are the advanced riders that are building ninja lines (often times a good distance away from the actual trail) to push their skills.
    "advanced" rider... to push their skills.



    lulz great thread. BTW do you drive a Red Jeep?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 69erEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    401
    I know rhamilton and he is a ninja. A very nice ninja indeed. He should be less of a nice ninja and put throwing stars on the landing of the line.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

  21. #21
    A guy on a bike Moderator
    Reputation: TobyGadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by rhamilton View Post
    O.P. here.

    OK first, If you don't understand what I am talking about then all is good in the universe, "These are not the droids you are looking for", carry on.

    Second, no trail widening is happening by using the alt line mentioned here.

    Third, A few posters in this tread bring up a good point, trails with options are the solution. The 'follow the rules' riders are upset that people are widening the trails because they can't ride over stuff in the tread so they go around it. Then there are the advanced riders that are building ninja lines (often times a good distance away from the actual trail) to push their skills. If Open Space trails had built options that were suited to the different levels of riders instead of the current one size fits all approach then the issues above go away. Just saying.
    If you want so adamantly want more trails, then I hope that you give liberally to open space organizations, volunteer regularly to build & maintain trails, sit on public-access boards, are a dues-paying member of bike advocacy organizations like IMBA, etc. Because that's how you get things changed--not by ripping unauthorized trails through open spaces. Those who make outlaw trails jeopardize ALL trail access by making mountain bikers look like a bunch of *******s who don't know how to behave like adults.

    Lots of good things happen to those who make honest efforts to expand access. For great examples of amazing trails, take a look at Soapstone, Curt Gowdy, Bobcat, Blue Sky, etc. These trails were built with input from mountain bikers (and often BY mountain bikers), and they offer a variety of technical and non-technical riding. Things would have turned out very differently if a bunch of idiots had decided to play hide-and-seek with land-use managers.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 69erEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    401
    Hey Toby, he does get involved. He was just discussing the problems we face now and in the future. Appreciate the self righteous finger pointing from you and the others though.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

  23. #23
    A guy on a bike Moderator
    Reputation: TobyGadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erEverything View Post
    Hey Toby, he does get involved. He was just discussing the problems we face now and in the future. Appreciate the self righteous finger pointing from you and the others though.
    You're very welcome. If you need any more advice on how not to screw up access to great trails, please feel free to ask your friend to post more "requests."

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Puddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    63

    These are not the Droids you are looking for!

    Wow, this thread is awesome!

    And I'm not so sure about open space being cool with the all rock alternate options being ok, I kind of remember Antelope having one that cut off a switchback and now there is a little rock wall to keep you off of the endangered rock (and yes the trail touched said rock on both sides).
    Feels like an Arby's night.

  25. #25
    ride
    Reputation: ignazjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,813
    Ha! I remember that line. It was easier than the switchback that it shortcut. BoCo didn't shut that one down either. Just like there are renegades building new lines, there are renegades shutting them down. Not 100% sure, but I think that rock wall was built by a local hiker.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •