mtbr member

Dogs at Buffalo Creek

Who rides with their dog there or knows if its, "cool/ok", to at Buffalo creek?
    Last edited by Devildog1775; 04-23-2011 at 11:02 AM.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    That's all NF land out there (except a small bit over at Pine Valley), so I think you're good. I presume your dog is well enough behaved to not chase wildlife & get in another trail user's way?

mtbr member
    Outstanding to hear. I am moving out to Conifer from North Georgia by Aug/Sept. Should I pack water for her or are there enough creek crossings to keep her happy? Also any recommendations for good routes to take while there are appreciated.

Every time I go ride with out her, she can look at me and I feel so evil for not taking her. She is a good dog, no hesitation to my voice commands.

Thanks
    Last edited by Devildog1775; 04-24-2011 at 06:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildog1775
    Outstanding to hear. I am moving out to Conifer from North Georgia by Aug/Sept. Should I pack water for her or are there enough creek crossings to keep her happy? Also any recommendations for good routes to take while there are appreciated.

Every time I go ride with out her, she can look at me and I feel so evil for not taking her. She is a good dog, no hesitation to my voice commands.

Thanks

Wow, Georgia to Conifer. Boy, you gonna be in a different country! Don't expect to see near the number of stream crossings out here. I don't think there are any at Buff Creek are there?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    SS is partly correct in. Dogs are free to be off-lead on most federal public lands, with exceptions of course. However, the USFS and BLM will allow local rules and regs to trump federal r & r's in attempts to maintain some harmony with the locals. Jefferson County has a county-wide leash law that you are supposed to obey, even in Buff Ck.

So if you're in Buff Ck and the USFS see's your well behaved dog off-lead, they won't say anything. If the JeffCo Sheriff see's your dog off-lead, you will get a ticket. The good news is the chance of getting caught is minimal but there is always that possibility.

As xcguy mentioned, natural sources for water are minimal in the area so teach your dog to drink from a water bottle. Also, the decomposed granite soil will tear up your dogs paws pretty quick. I've had to resort to doggie booties to protect the pads on my beast.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by casey
    As xcguy mentioned, natural sources for water are minimal in the area so teach your dog to drink from a water bottle. Also, the decomposed granite soil will tear up your dogs paws pretty quick. I've had to resort to doggie booties to protect the pads on my beast.
    You have some water on Morrison creek trail for the bottom 2/3 of the way.

There is water half way up Tramway.

Road 543 of course follows Buffalo Creek all the way so plenty of water there.

Yes on the dog booties and their pads get all torn up running on the downhills.

Ours drink from the stream out of our hydration packs without any problems but bring lots of water. If you start riding in August, you should start early in the morning as it gets pretty toasty up there especially going through the multiple burn areas.
    WTF

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyturn
    If you start riding in August, you should start early in the morning as it gets pretty toasty up there especially going through the multiple burn areas.
    Coming from GA he'll probably be wearing a down jacket at BC in August.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles

Conyers Olympic course in July = Sweatiest I have ever been in my life.

mtbr member
    Its nice in the spring and fall when there is snow on the ground for your dog to eat. After the snow melts, there are some long stretches between streams. That's why you should buy one of these. I also recommend an extra water bottle, as drinking from a camelback is not so easy for a dog, and you waste a lot. If the dog has his own personal bottle, you can pour the leftovers from the collapsable bowl back into the bottle without contaminating your own supply.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobGolden
    Conyers Olympic course in July = Sweatiest I have ever been in my life.
    In Georgia in the summer time, you can be sitting under a tree in the shade and still be the sweatiest you've ever been in your life

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles

That's hilarious, really. I"ll take the Dry heat out in Colorado any day over the humidity that we have here in GA. It feels ridiculous outside here in Ga around August, gotta ride early early or late late. The shade of the trees doesn't quite help. I think it just holds the heat in more.

I'm not a stranger to Colorado. Almost all of my family is out there. I was born in Littleton, but moved when I was little(10 i think). So, time to move back there now that I'm done with the Marine Corps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Speaking of humid heat, I lived in Dallas, TX for a year (born in Ft. Worth, thought I'd go back to my roots...what a mistake). 100 at midnight with 95% humidity during the very long summer. Springtime was the only enjoyable time of the year, before the tornadoes came in.
    AC in your house to AC in your car to AC in the bars. Yuck.

I don't normally sweat here, but I'd walk out the front door there without my shirt on and watch as the sweat would just appear in flood on my chest and flow down.

The heat seemed to come up from the ground. The other replies are right, getting under the shade of a tree was no help, it was just as hot. I came back to Boulder to visit during early July and it was 100 here and there was no comparison. Get under the shade of a tree and it was cooler. I moved back a few months later.

What's that got to do with a guy riding with his dog at Buff Creek in August? It'll seem like the arctic, that's what.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    I'll be the one to say it: just because you can ride with your dog out there doesn't mean you should. I love riding with my dog but the trails/rides I avoid with him are: long rides covering many miles, rides with little shade, rides with ground that is rough on his paws, and rides with long stretches of higher speed cruising, all of which describes riding at Buff Creek. Obviously, don't know you or your dog, just throwing a cautionary word out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwhan
    I'll be the one to say it: just because you can ride with your dog out there doesn't mean you should. I love riding with my dog but the trails/rides I avoid with him are: long rides covering many miles, rides with little shade, rides with ground that is rough on his paws, and rides with long stretches of higher speed cruising, all of which describes riding at Buff Creek. Obviously, don't know you or your dog, just throwing a cautionary word out there.
    I agree with you I don't want the experience to be torture/painful on her. Around GA I never take her more than 12 miles or so. I was just curious about riding with dogs at Buff creek cause I'll be living about 20 mins down the road from this area. I figured it would be a convenient place to go for a short ride with her and tire her out(pretty hyper without some proper exercise.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Is Buff Creek only 20 minutes from Conifer? Carp, it's over a two hour drive from my place in Westminster!

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Two hours? Is that the Westminster out by Limon?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwhan
    Two hours? Is that the Westminster out by Limon?
    That's driving down Federal from 120th, getting on 76 then 70 then onto C470 then up 285 all the freakin' way to Pine Junction then taking a left and driving and driving and driving to some Buff Creek Trailhead. Or are we talking about two different areas? Really, two hours for me.
    OK, maybe 1:40 but it's so long that I have to think twice about choosing that area. You peeps living in Golden, it's at least 40 minutes closer.

It's only 40 minutes for me to get to Heil and I've always got business to do in Boulder.

Jesus, I just posted my 8,003 post on mtbr. I need to get a life