Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Dog-friendly trails

Hi. I'm new to the area (Denver metro) and looking for some suggestions along the front-range. I've got 2 German shorthairs who NEED to run and love being trail dogs. The bike is the only way I can keep up with them and manage to tire them out. Is there any singletrack nearby that can accommodate the three of us?

Thanks,

Jeff

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    You have to look at the National Forest Service land IIRC. I don't think any of the county/city/etc. trails allow dogs off leash. At least none that I know of. In other words, I don't think there's any CLOSE by...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    There are a few up the Poudre canyon, past Fort Collins. Might be a drive, but at least you won't get a ticket. Can't remember the name, but you should be able to find online.

Stiff yet compliant
    I assume they will be off leash? Be warned, off leash dogs are a controversial subject around here, you may catch some flame.
    I think most people, myself included, are fine with off leash dogs as long as they are reasonably well behaved and you are able to keep them under control.

As Shtles said you should be looking for trails on National forest land. Fortunately there is plenty of it around

mtbr member

Boulder?

Aren't there lots of trails in South Boulder that allow off-leash dogs - as long as they have a green Boulder off-leash tag?

I know ones by my work all allow dogs: High Plains Trail, Dowdy trail network, etc.

Or else, do what I do and ride early morning before work, with your dogs, in Jeffereson County (on any trail)...before the rest of humanity gets out and you'll have the whole trail to yourself and your dogs....and no one is harmed.

Hairshirt Rider
    Yay!!

I've got a bowl of popcorn on standby.

mtbr member

I'll get the ball rolling

if you do take your dogs on the trails don't be one of those douches that put the dog eggs in a little plastic bag and leaves it on the trail, what's up with that? and don't try to tell me they are picking it up on the way back, plenty of times I've seen wrapped cr@p and there's no-one else on the trails.

I love dogs, just not some dog owners.

game on..

eci
    Gsp's oh the wonderful szichofrentic beast. Do you hunt your crazies? Oh and I'm listening to T O and I got my popcorn ready.

Atleadt you don't have pitbulls

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll be checking out USFS land, Poudre and Boulder.

Didn't realize it was that controversial. I'll buy the popcorn next time. The last thing I want is to ruin someone else's day on the trail. If I didn't think the dogs were going to behave on the trail I wouldn't bring them. The same goes for the owner. And I expect the same attitude in return.

Yea, I do hunt them and also raise birds. Schizo is understatement (in a good way). Can't have them getting fat and lazy in the off-season.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dogs and riding can be a tough mix. Leave the bike at home and take the dogs to Chatfield State Park. The dog park is 75 acres with 2 large ponds and the S. Platte River. It's doggy disneyland. My german wirehair gives is two paws up.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Come on down to Colorado Springs. Never had a problem taking my dog. She is well trained and the absolute perfect mountain bike dog, she loves biking more than I do. When we go biking she avoids other dogs (goes wide off trail so she doesn't have to deal with them), and stays within eye sight of me when I'm slowly climbing.

It's all about training!

Chris

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I agree it's all about training and respecting other users.

Chatfield is $7/day, correct? When my dogs get their own job they can go there.

Jeff

Bad Andy
    You can go to Chatfield dog park for free if you park on the N side of C470, and walk the path under C470 and to the park.

I would be in the camp to say - don't take the dogs unleashed in jeffco open space -
    1-because it is against the rules
    2-even if you think they are the greatest behaved dogs in the world, they can get in someone's way coming down the trail too fast (or not too fast), and get hurt.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Quote Originally Posted by mkrause
    Aren't there lots of trails in South Boulder that allow off-leash dogs - as long as they have a green Boulder off-leash tag?
    Only in Boulder... Pay a tax and your dog can run loose. jeeez

My dog loves to go with me but I've found it's just too dangerous for him.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

Stiff yet compliant
    Where most other city/county open space and parks require dogs to be on leash at all times or simply ban them outright- at risk of large fines.
    Boulder has created a voluntary registration system where dog owners who agree to keep their dogs under voice and sight control can get a $15 tag and let their dogs off leash in many open space areas.
    Only in Boulder indeed.
    Last edited by Moustache rider; 03-06-2009 at 09:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I guess I didn't clarify, but a couple of the Poudre trails are "dog off leash" legal, You will not get in trouble! And if hikers argue with you, you have the moral high ground and rules on your side.

I do find the whole "voice command" issue a little suspect. ANY dog can freak out or disobey at any time, I don't care how well trained it is. They see a squirrel or just get crazy. That being said just be sensible and have them off leash in low traffic areas or at low traffic times. That is the best part of the early evening darkness these days, more off leash time for my dog. Of course I am just running with her. She still has some trouble running in front of the bike.

ridin dirtay
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    WKD-RDR is not funny

Laverne and Shirley are off the chain
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    "Chatfield is $7/day, correct? When my dogs get their own job they can go there."

Buy a season pass for the state parks, it'll get you into all the great state parks for one low price.

mtbr member
    I got a ticket at Dakota Ridge with my lab off leash. We tried to out run the park ranger but he radioed and had another ranger waiting at the parking lot ha ha. I think it was $50 or $60. You would think there would be more off leash trails but theres not, kinda dumb in my opinion considering there are so many dog owners that ride. Now my dog just looks at me like I'm evil as all hell when I walk out with kids and bikes and he stays home.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo78
    You would think there would be more off leash trails but theres not, kinda dumb in my opinion considering there are so many dog owners that ride.
    The problem is dumb dog owners with poorly-trained dogs.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Ceran St Vrain is a great after work ride in the summer that you can take your dogs on. Fun singletrack riding in the trees with a running creek for them to cool off in.

Camp Dick is also another good option.

Pretty much you need to drive up into the mountains and then there are dog friendly trails that (in my opinion) are better riding than the more crowded front range trails.

ridin dirtay
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles

Not entertaining yourself on the slopes today, I see

Only people that ride the trails are allowed to b!tch and moan

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    Not entertaining yourself on the slopes today, I see
    My wife is skiing... I'm supervising Pinewood derby construction, leprechaun-catcher construction, and doing some garden prep.

Only people that ride the trails are allowed to b!tch and moan
    When I come across dogs off-leash on JCOS parks I always tell the owners that there's a ranger JUST back there a bit. Works every time.

Thread Terrorist
    I enjoy the sting operations that happen near my house (I'm adjacent to Mt Galbraith).

As for the original poster's inquiry.... There are several dog parks in the area.

percocet pioneer.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast