No Titus anymore...

Does anybody do any cycling related weight lifting in the off season?

I just started last week, I'm going to do an 8 week macro cycle.
    Squats, presses, and calf raises. ANybody have any thoughts.
    Ride on, rider. Ride on.

mtbr member
    Off season??? I don't understand.

No Titus anymore...
    That's the spirit!
    Ride on, rider. Ride on.

Perpetually single track
    I assume you're gay.

Go ride!

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!

I started this year

Quote Originally Posted by titusguy
    I just started last week, I'm going to do an 8 week macro cycle.
    Squats, presses, and calf raises. ANybody have any thoughts.
    I started after Xmas and have been pretty good all through January. I alternate upper and lower body each day during the week. I try to do a core routine every day too. I'm hoping that I'll notice a nice power increase when I hit the trails again, but I still need to really work on cardio...

Are you just working on your legs or are you doing upper body and core too?

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Yep, I'm doing a routine that is all body + cardio, 3 sets, high reps (10-15), with 20 jumping jacks between each exercise and set. In other words, you never get to rest. Takes about 1.5" hours to complete the routine and I'm doing it every other day. It's killing me. The first few weeks I could barely walk. Worst is the lunges, 10 reps one leg, then 10 on the other, with weights. With the cardio between sets the heart rate gets WAY up there. Jill used to be a fitness trainer and combine that with her eastern european heritage, well, she knows how to crack the whip so there's no cheating. That workout and actually riding again means I've now lost 13 pounds since the 1st of Jan.

No Titus anymore...
    Are you just working on your legs or are you doing upper body and core too?[/QUOTE]

I do upper body a good bit, I had shoulder surgery in 95, I should be lifting full time for that, I get tendinitis in my bicepts if I don't. My back was killing me all the time as well. I slept on the floor for 5 weeks. So I've been doing back and shoulder stuff. I also do a ton of core stuff these days.
    I also want to rock climb more this year, I miss it. That'll also help with core stuff and back.
    Ride on, rider. Ride on.

No Titus anymore...
    That workout and actually riding again means I've now lost 13 pounds since the 1st of Jan.[/QUOTE]

I am going to do the Mt Evans bike race in July, I think I want to be a little lighter for that. I'm normally 165. When I was a competitive climber, my red point or comp weight was 158 with 9% body fat. I was ripped. These days i'm 165 and 13% body fat.
    Ride on, rider. Ride on.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I strength train 3 days a week mainly upper body though, we ride 2-3 days a week and hit the slopes too so I fiqure I'm getting enough leg workout.

screw road bikes
    yep, I do plenty of that.

I suggest LOTS of balance related weight lifting(freeweights on top of fitness ball, ect.) Basically the idea is to get your muscles to respond in a balanced way to outside forces(I hope that is somewhat coherent)....especially if it's downhill racing you're lifting for. But regardless, this will help any type of riding/skiing/and your proprioception(ie instinctive balance). There's plenty of info around on this type of lifting, just google.

Hope some/and/or/any of that makes sense or helps.
    Full Tilt Cyclery
    GT Bicycles
    Oakley
    Sram and Co.
    Fox
    Go Fast
    MAXXIS

I

mtbr member
    Off Season in Colorado...that's like a big oxyMORON isn't it?
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

Professional Lurker
    The trainer at my gym wrote me out a little plan that calls for:

2 different kinds of squats
    Chest Press
    Up-Right Rows
    Sitting Rows
    Lat Pull
    1 excercise of "Your Weakness"
    Core (abs/back)

Let's hope it works!
    I have no idea what I'm talking about...But yeah, that sounds about right.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

if its nice out....

i ride at lunch

if its crappy, i hit the gym

typical gym routine:

hike at a moderate pace on the tread mill at a decent incline (lately, 3.5 mph at 8%) for about 30 minutes
    OR.....
    hike for 15 minutes and stationary bike for 15-20.

then do a few leg machines (extension, curl, adduction, abduction, and press)

then hit a few simple cable exercises for the upper body (lats, biceps, chest, delts, etc)

and finish it off with crunches, twists and side bends (mid torso stuff)

all in all, im glad i joined the gym. keeps me active on the bad days and helps out over all strengeh, cardio, etc.

highly recommended

mike "still shopping" wildman

Not just famous; infamous
    Yup, I do pyramid sets, lifting with each side individually, so that my arms are equally worked out. I typically start with 16 oz and lower the weight with each repetition until I reach zero oz. I then repeat with the other arm, typically 3-4 sets per arm or until I fall down, whichever comes second.

My leg workout consists mainly of walking between the "weight rack" and the "weight bench" when I reload my weights between pyramid sets. The leg workouts are actually reverse pyramids, since they must support 16 oz more with each set, until I take a leak.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

It's all about phase training

To get the most out of your "off season" weight training, do it in phases. Hitting the weights will make you an awesome climber and it helps that you have a date in mind. Each phase could take about 4-6 weeks depending on your schedule.

Phase 1: acclimate your muscles to the movements. This would include lighter lifting and higher reps.

Phase 2: build muscle mass. Lift at 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps.

Phase 3: build strength. Lift 5 sets of 5 reps, pyramid weight.

Phase 4: develop quick twitch muscle with plyometrics (eccentric movement followed by quick concentric movements such as jumping over stuff). Back off the heavy lifting to maintenance mode and start putting on easy miles to build a base of an equivelant 2000 road miles.

Phase 5: continue with maint lifting, such as once a week for each muscle group (3 sets of 12-6 reps pyramid style, and start throwing in some hardcore sprinting on the bike with rest in between sets. This will up yer O2 max big time, essential for climbing. It's strongly advised to do this only once a week. You'll benefit the most if you've built a strong base.

Personally, I hate to structure my fun time. I just keep this stuff in mind and guestimate what I should be doing when and why. Carefull not to overtrain!

cheers!