Ride Everything

Do you say anything...

• When someone goes way off-trail when passing (either from behind, or from opposite directions)?
    • When downhill downhill riders don't yield to uphill riders.?

I see this all the time where I ride (Marshall Mesa, Doudy Draw, etc). Today was particularly bad, because it seemed like everybody and their brother/sister was on the same trails. I think some people may have a clue, because as I was stopped for a pair of hikers (I was climbing), a pair of cyclists passed the hikers and me, and then muttered, "Do uphill riders have the right of way?"

I really don't want to be "that guy," but it's starting to bug me. I don't want any special treatment, but I also don't want to see trails get any wider.

So, do you say anything?
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member

no offense

to anyone but those trails, along with the Wanker Trails(Boulder valley Ranch), Heil ranch etc are full of noobs, ESPECIALLY on the weekends, they just don't know any better and there are no signs telling them how to ride responsibly.
    Yes there are signs to tell you to yield to horses and hikers but no signs saying uphill has the right of way or to stop on the trail and lean the bike over to allow others to pass. You could try explaining to them but expect an earful in return from a few, that's Boulder for you... I tried to explain how to pass while staying on the trail to someone on the Picture Rock who blasted off the trail so he didn't have to stop and he just said " who are you? the trail police?" wannker.

Shattering Glass
    It's hard to believe that so many ignorant or just plain stupid people ride trails in Colorado and don't have a clue of proper etiquette. They always have the look, spandex, sponsors, carbon fiber, but nothing going on upstairs. You can only be an example and hope they catch on.

friend of Apex
    I plan around crowded trails.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I usually yield at Picture Rock because I'm going slow enough, taking pics, that it just doesn't matter to me if I stop when it's obviously the other rider's turn to stop for me (I'm climbing). Every time I do stop it's plain as day that the oncoming rider had no intention of stopping and blows past me without a word. Spandex is not a requirement.

Finally on my last ride there I thought I'd adopt the same attitude ONCE during my entire ride and just kept going (up) when I encountered two riders. We all almost collided in the middle of the trail but I got by. No, they were not going to yield and looked kinda pissed at me.

Oh, yeah, do I ever say anything? I'd just be talking to myself, so no.
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

mtbr member
    When I was a noob, I went on a trip to Fruita and rode the brand-new, just opened Rustler's Loop out at the Mack Ridge area. It was constructed as a beginner trail, and the bike shop that had contributed the labor to build the trail had added signage along the way. The signs had both pictures and a few lines of text that explained how to navigate the terrain (such as how to climb up ledges, correct position on the bike for descents, how to brake, etc) and also mountain bike etiquette. One sign showed a rider yielding by keeping the tires on the trail tread, putting one foot down off the trail and leaning the bike to the side. I was a noobie and had never yielded that way, but it made total sense to me when I saw the picture. I also could see how it would keep the trail singletrack and prevent widening. I have tried to use the technique since then, when circumstances allow.

I'm not sure where Over the Edge got the signs, but maybe something similar could be posted at trailheads or even on the same posts with the biker/hiker/equestrian "yield triangle" on heavily used trails. It might not make any difference for the masses, but some folks who are riding off the trail out of ignorance might change their ways if they know there is a different way to do it?
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

Awesomist™
    H3LL yes I say something. It usually comes out something like "Douche!"

Rode at Heil Ranch yesterday for the first time and was utterly surprised at the LACK of trail etiquette there, from nearly every mountain biker we encountered. Everyone from full-kit pro looking guys to 50-somethings rocking the '91 Stumpjumper and jeans, I saw more people coming downhill, not yielding, and riding off the d@mn trail than I have EVER seen before... made the squabbling about Apex seem like chicken scratch. It was so bad the person I was riding with turned around at one point and asked me if we had accidentally gotten on a one-way trail going the wrong way!

Seriously.

Back to the original question, I definitely say something. It's never an expletive, can be sometimes a little derogatory, and is usually really sarcastic. "Thanks for yielding right of way, guy" is pretty close to what normally comes out, either preceded or finished with a snort of disgust. Yeah, I'm a friggin douchenazi trail user and I don't even care - because I feel if someone that races and entire season of downhill every summer of every year can have a little respect for other people on the trail, then other people should figure it out too.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Moderator Moderator

The goober patrol...

...was out in full force at MM/Doudy/HP/etc yesterday. My wife almost went ballistic on a couple of people. I think we yielded (as in, stopped, wheels on the trail) to about 25 folks on bikes and had ZERO yield to us. And I'm not particularly complaining about it ruining my ride, since it was a weekend at MM and I expect crowds, but those trails have gotten wide enough (Coal Seam was a *singletrack* once...) without people cutting 5' off the trail to go around hikers, dogs, other riders, etc.

We watched a friend and fellow pro MTB racer blow by about 10 different hikers and uphill riders down Coal Seam, so it's not just beginners. I agree that more signage might help. Even better? BMA needs to get the city/county to let them patrol there. A few friendly words from someone from the BMA could help a lot. I'd volunteer, but I'm not trained for their trail patrol.

I also trail run in that area and almost NOBODY yields to me. I'm usually happy to step off the trail when I see someone coming, but I get riders coming up from behind at high speeds and not even saying a word, then blowing by off the trail constantly. And if I open my mouth to complain, I get an AMAZING amount of attitude from these folks.

Heck, I wouldn't mind having a ranger hike around all day and ticket every rider who didn't yield - that's how disgusted I generally am. A ranger on a bike would be even better. BCPOS/City of Boulder do a lot of rule-making, but they don't do squat to enforce those rules, which is a really stupid way to run things.

Whew. Rant over.

-Walt

mtbr member
    I'll admit I don't say anything to airheads that don't have a clue about ediquette or trail care, mostly for the reasons stated above, but we all need to start. It's people like that who give us a bad name and threaten our access to trails. It's people like us who don't say anything that allow it to happen. IMBA has a trail ranger program that perhaps more of us should look into. You at least get a jersey that identifies you as "someone", which might make your voice a little more powerful.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What about yelling "RIDER UP!" emphatically several times while maintaining your cadence?

Douchenozzles are just that, and are cluelessly playing chicken and waiting (hoping) to see you accede the ROW.

Try to give clear indication that you're going to maintain your ROW instead of sitting upright, slowing down, or putting your foot down.

And for AHoles passing in AHole fashion, and quick flick of your front wheel and sharp body lean (maybe a suddenly-spastic elbow or knee, too) toward the passer going by is a poignant way to communciate that s/he's cutting it too close. Might be passive-aggressive, but better than being shat on.

mtbr member
    OK, just to add a positive spin to this thread... I rode Lair o' the Bear with a friend from the Springs yesterday. We headed out at around 1:30PM from a crowded parking lot and there were lots of mtn bikers on the trail. Nearly everyone yielded appropriately! As we were climbing up every downhill rider stopped to let us by, and there was probably a group every 100 yards. We never had to put a foot down on the climb (except on the scary rock sections) My friend, who is used to the uncrowded trails down in the Springs, commented on how nice everyone was even with so much traffic.

I confess I did not yield to one group when I was the downhill rider, mostly because I didn't see them in time (I know, gotta slow down), so I was briefly a "douche". But it was definitely the most cordial ride I've had at LoTB all year. We even encountered a ranger hiking on the trail, slowed down to pass her but did not come to a complete stop, and she said "thanks for yielding guys" without a trace of sarcasm!

So thanks to everyone who rode LoTB yesterday afternoon for the good vibes (saw a lot of smiling faces, must have been the great weather), and for making my local trails look good to an out-of-towner.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

Fast, not that fast
    Ya I tell em!!! I went back to fruita for the first time in almost 7 or 8 years a couple weeks ago and was flat out disgusted by all the people that ride off trail when others pass. One yuppified couple, they had the look, spandex, sponsors, carbon fiber, but nothing going on upstairs. My friend and I pulled to the side for the guy/girl couple, I told them they didnt have to ride off the trail.....the woman answers back snobbily, "it's wide enough that we can both pass"!!!??!!!

WTF, well then why the hell did you BOTH ride off trail in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!? Idiots.

And after not ridin fruita for years its pretty obvious the trail has gotten much wider in places and the social trails from the campground to the kessel trail are sickening. LAZY mountain bikers, whats the deal.

Anyhow, it's not just fruita. It's a plague on the Front Range. Keep spreading the gospel people! Jerk off newby gapers....now i'm ranting....sorry, it's just infuriating(sp?) how many people dont get it. I feel like it happens to me literaly everydamday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    See... Jefferson county bikers are way smarter that Boulder county's.
    WTF

mtbr member
    Funny this topic came up today. Against Redstone Dave's advice I rode Picture Rock for the first time yesterday (on a sunny Sunday ). I didn't want to deal with layering up for Sourdough again (psst, which is still in great shape) so I thought I'd get a warm ride in. I was really amazed by the number of people who yielded the trail. Sure there were more than a couple of groups who rode off-trail and no, I didn't say anything.
    Although it gets me pissed to see people do this I don't have it in me to ruin my day getting into a verbal confrontation with someone over this. I just try and enjoy my ride, lead by example and try not to get to upset over this stuff.
    As I said though, damn... there were alot of people yielding yesterday. It really did amaze me. Sweet trail as well. I still prefer some of the other, more isolated offerings BoCo has but hell, to live in a country (county) where the government is willing to spend money so I can go out and have fun like that? Well, it can't be all bad! Thanks to all that made it possible.

If you were one of the guys I didn't yield to yesterday, sorry. I honestly thought I was climbing at that point, I was wrong and should have yielded.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker
    H3LL
    It was so bad the person I was riding with turned around at one point and asked me if we had accidentally gotten on a one-way trail going the wrong way!
    Not only did said person wonder if they were riding a one-way trail but said person also nearly got run over by 2 dudes barreling up from behind and not saying a word or giving any warning...

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by Bends But Doesn't Break
    What about yelling "RIDER UP!" emphatically several times while maintaining your cadence?
    I do like this idea, and actually use the phrase "rider up" or "heads up" when I am riding my road bike on bike paths around Denver. Implementing it on the trail would probably be more effective than sarcasm. Although, see below...

Quote Originally Posted by Bends But Doesn't Break
    Douchenozzles are just that, and are cluelessly playing chicken and waiting (hoping) to see you accede the ROW.

Try to give clear indication that you're going to maintain your ROW instead of sitting upright, slowing down, or putting your foot down.

And for AHoles passing in AHole fashion, and quick flick of your front wheel and sharp body lean (maybe a suddenly-spastic elbow or knee, too) toward the passer going by is a poignant way to communciate that s/he's cutting it too close. Might be passive-aggressive, but better than being shat on.
    The rider that passed us in A-Hole fashion coming down the trail, literally forcing my Travelling Companion™ OFF the trail as she was climbing through a slightly rocky techy section, THAT dude got the treatment of me maintaining the "good" line, elbows out, speeding up my cadence, and then a prompt "DOUCHE." uttered from my mouth as he passed. I did think for a second that I could probably force a dismount if I flicked a wheel or leaned into him, but tried to show SOME constraint. Friggin' a-holes.

To reemphasize my stance on the original question, and not just make this an entire thread of complaining: I ABSOLUTELY SAY SOMETHING when another rider is riding inappropriately. ESPECIALLY if it jeapordizes my safety or the safety of someone in my riding group.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by EvenFlow
    My friend and I pulled to the side for the guy/girl couple, I told them they didnt have to ride off the trail.....the woman answers back snobbily, "it's wide enough that we can both pass"!!!??!!!
    Was the trail wide enough to pass?

If so, who's to say who is on the original trail and who is not.

If the trail is allready widened, why would it not be OK to use the luxury lane?
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Fast, not that fast
    It was wide enough for both to pass. We stopped to yield regardless. They both rode off the trail, way out of any luxury lane.

Ride Everything
    Looks like I'm not the only one.

I neglected to mention the speedy racer-types in my original post. Now, I'm not saying that everyone should go into full Eddie Haskel mode when they encounter other trail users, but damn, slow down a little when you pass hikers and whatnot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EvenFlow
    they had the look, spandex, sponsors, carbon fiber
    IME, it's the opposite profile that are usually disrespecting trail etiquette - the ones that, in spite of their loose streetwear (oversized t-shirts and baggy shorts), you can still tell they're overweight, and don't look up when they're passing by.

Who the hell knows what's going on inside of the heads there, if anything at all.

I always make it a point to at least get out a "how's it goin'!" to anybody I pass on the trail; I don't know what it is about all of those "lycra hatin'" threads, but some of the best random trail conversations I've had are with the set that is the object of this apparent scorn.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Picture Rock needs some dedicated passing/pulloff zones. All the way down from the Silo there should be wide areas cut out (cactus free) that a person could just pull over, knowing he wouldn't get a puncture. A lot of these zones.
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

Ride Everything
    Lycra shorts FTW. Nothing better after 2-3 hours in the saddle. I'm overweight, too. Did I mention that I'm also a California transplant?

Yeah, I pretty much suck.

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    I sit down in the middle of the trail and cry.

mtbr member
    I usually show a modest amount of atttude to convey what I think of them. I also must confess I dropped a guy a few years back at Three Sisters. My wife was climbing ahead of me and some dude about took her out as he bombed past. I dropped my shoulder and made contact when he tried the same to me. I didn't break cadence and left him in a heap behind me. I felt bad because that kind of aggression is totally uncalled for, but I got over it quickly.

Yesterday on Bergen peak a couple of young guys (teenagers) were coming down in front of me. I was already miffed from seeing their skid marks in every switch back when I caught up to them standing in the middle of a switch. I tried to ride past, didn't make it and one said "almost!" I brushed that one off with " I would have made it if you weren't standing in the corner, but should have made it anyway." Hopefully they learned and I didn't feel like an aggro jerk.

So, yes, I do usually say something and think we all should.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Picture Rock needs some dedicated passing/pulloff zones. All the way down from the Silo there should be wide areas cut out...
    WTF? You know what? All you can really do is police yourself. These so called "passing/pulloff zones" you're wishing for will unfortunately be created soon enough because of the jokers mentioned in this thread.
    Keep singletrack single, vote with your line!
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

<100%
    Do I say something....Almost never. I am having way too much fun and feeling too happy to get uptight about trail ROW issues. I smile, waive, say thank you and have a nice day, and I am on my way.

In most situations, the only control you have is over your own reactions. The other guy probably could not care less what you think, or is a prick looking for conflict. Why stress yourself out?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    All this complaining! When was the last time you actually stopped at a STOP sign? In your car OR on your bike?

Yet you expect etiquette on the trail!

Pivot Rider

I've made it a habit

to always shout out "Rider Up", "rider back" Hiker Up, Hiker back etc. I always talk to the hikers, horseback riders etc. If I see someone hiking in front of me -- I'll try to let them know I'm coming up on them, slow down, etc. Since, I usually have a group with me, I feel that I am teaching them about trail etiquette at the same time.

I find that most people in Jeffco seem to be getting the message. I've had several hikers thank me for letting them know I'm coming and that there are several with. It seems that I get attitude from the dudes descending who just don't want to stop -- no matter what. I've actually had some words with one... uhmmm, I think I actually called him a douchebag.....after he told me he would not under any circumstance stop even tho I was climbing....

I really think that communication seems to be the key...
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

I Crash Often
    Nov 2006
    I'm so out of shape that I stop for everyone. That includes horses, hikers, up and down hill riders just to catch a breath. No, really, I don't pass anybody, but stop for everyone.

Shattering Glass
    Quote Originally Posted by blinker
    All this complaining! When was the last time you actually stopped at a STOP sign? In your car OR on your bike?

Yet you expect etiquette on the trail!

Originally from Joisey....Never.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    I sit down in the middle of the trail and cry.
    I immediately thought of this pic:

Members who have read this thread: 0