109 69.87%
  • No

39 25.00%
  • I run solid rubber tires

8 5.13%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Do you run tubeless/UST?

Curious how many Front Range MTBers are running a tubeless set up. I have been for a couple years but considering switching back. I keep destroying UST tires and for some reason that doesn't seem to happen when I run tubes. Plus I just spent an hour trying to mount a Maxxis LUST tire with no luck. Those things are beyotch.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    How about a yes/no option? My old bike has one tubeless, one tube. My new bike... two tubes.

Yappy little dog!
    Pffttt...

Slime tubes!

Me + Stans = Never Work

Tossin the salad.
    schnauzers - you really like those slime tubes?

If so, what PSI you run them at?

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_Shifter
    schnauzers - you really like those slime tubes?

If so, what PSI you run them at?

Yes, I really like them. I was an original adopter of Stan's until my first blow out. I never went back, but in the piney;s of NJ, you have to use something because of thorns.

I know the whole hub bub over wheel weight and rotation, yada yada yada. Yes, they are heavy, but I don't race and if I add two pounds to the bike then I'll just lose two off my fat a$$. I've had one Stan's flat and that was a snake bit from hitting a rock.

I usually run them at about 35 pounds.

Tossin the salad.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Yes, I really like them. I was an original adopter of Stan's until my first blow out. I never went back, but in the piney;s of NJ, you have to use something because of thorns.

I know the whole hub bub over wheel weight and rotation, yada yada yada. Yes, they are heavy, but I don't race and if I add two pounds to the bike then I'll just lose two off my fat a$$. I've had one Stan's flat and that was a snake bit from hitting a rock.

I usually run them at about 35 pounds.

Thanks 4 the feed back. I never considered these since I heard they were heavy. But you're right!!........ I don't race and if they are two pounds I can loose that on me or loose it in about 30 min of riding

I been pretty luck for no leaks / blow outs, but I think I may try these. Thanks for your feedback.

hehe ...you said "member"
    I used to pinch flat all the time before going tubeless - huge improvement for me.
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

Stiff yet compliant
    I am currently running several flavors of tubeless. UST, Stans, Ghetto. I originally tried out of curiosity and after some experimentation have found there is a bit of a learning curve. Once you understand the basic principals that allow a tire to seal to a rim without a tube you can do all kinds of crazy things manufacturers never intended.

Edit: It is odd you are destroying UST tires. They generally have a tougher casing than standard tires.
    Last edited by Moustache rider; 06-15-2010 at 08:36 PM.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    UST Continental Mtn kings. I got one puncture and after it jizzed stans out the hole for a little bit, it sealed and has been fine ever since. It was kind of fun to watch.

mtbr member

Destroying them?

How are you destroying them?

I have noticed that the sidewalls wear out faster than the tread especially with the specialized 2bliss. I've tried the s works, aramdillo, and grid UST and it happens to all of them but the grid was most durable. I run them with Stans and I guess this voids the warranty.

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    I will never go back to tubes... I even converted the wife's cruiser.

llama, are you still running tubed tires tubeless?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I run ghetto tubeless with Stan's. I really like them. Plus, I run a stupid low tire pressure. However, I'm really light at 125lbs and maybe 140lbs max with gear.

CSM
    Jun 2009
    Maxxis High Roller Super Tacky UST.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    I've been running Maxxis UST tires on my tubeless rims for 5 yrs now. Ignitors, Crossmax, HighRollers,etc.

A squirt of Slime/Stans in the tire and I haven't flatted in 5 yrs despite 20-30 goatheads a tire.

I ride them till the center 60% of the tire is bald.

No way I'd ride a tubed tire !

Does Not Belong on a Bike
    I fear the lack of tubes. I go with tubes and True Goo.
    This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!

mtbr member

Stan's Man

I've gone tubeless for many years now with regular tires and rims using Stan's Notubes system - rim strip & sealant. Yes, it's a messy hassle installing and replenishing the fluid every three months; and yes, Stan's may not work with all tire / rim combinations. But I've never had a pinch flat or thorn flat since using Stans; the climbing and braking is notably better running lower air pressure (30 lbs front & rear for someone weighing 200 lbs. with gear); and the ride is more cushy, too. My bikes are an Ellsworth "Truth" 26'er and a Specialized "Stumpjumper Expert" 29'er. Ride on!

mtbr member
    I've been running tubeless tires tubeless (Panaracers, Bontragers, Geax, and Kendas). I use Stans for Sealant (actually, back east I didn't use any sealant). They held up well when I lived back east but since moving here 18 months ago I've destroyed three, all over about a 6 month span. All three died because of major, unsealable gashes along the tread (not sidewall). Seems pretty common with all the sharp rocks around here.

Last night I tried installing two new Maxxis LUST tires (one Advantage, one Crossmark) and I just can't the friggen get the things onto the wheels. Argh.

mtbr member
    Went tubeless last year....so just over a year and only one flat, caused by a rock breaking the valve. No way will I ever go back to tubes. I run the highroller on the front and an ignitor on the rear. The trend wears out long before I see any issues with the sidewalls....in fact I have never had any issues with the sidewalls.

CSM
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow
    Went tubeless last year....so just over a year and only one flat, caused by a rock breaking the valve. No way will I ever go back to tubes. I run the highroller on the front and an ignitor on the rear. The trend wears out long before I see any issues with the sidewalls....in fact I have never had any issues with the sidewalls.
    You running LUST? I've never had issues with the sidewalls either, but I haven't uses LUST yet (LUST is apparently lighter and has weaker sidewalls?).

Anyways, I've scraped the hell out of the sidewalls on many occasions, and nothing, not even a scratch. My only gripe is the compound wearing quickly, but then again I am running the super tacky.

i like rocks
    tubes are stooooooopid. i've been tubeless for around 4 years with no on-trail problems.
    Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEBiker
    You running LUST? I've never had issues with the sidewalls either, but I haven't uses LUST yet (LUST is apparently lighter and has weaker sidewalls?).

Anyways, I've scraped the hell out of the sidewalls on many occasions, and nothing, not even a scratch. My only gripe is the compound wearing quickly, but then again I am running the super tacky.
    Yeah I have been running the LUST with no issues.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    +1 for the Highroller on front and Ignitor on the rear. Only problem has been the occasional Maxxis blister on 2 out of 5 tires in 4 years.

mtbr member
    I've been running Stan's strips/sealant for a year now with Geax Lobo Loco tubeless tires at 30lbs pressure. No flats, great performance easy to inflate, I love them. I will never go back to tubes again, I used to pinch flat with tubes about every other ride at higher pressure.

mtbr member
    Ghetto liners w/ Minion 2.5 DHF tubeless (Silkworm casing) front, and High Roller 2.35 tubelss (Lust casing) rear. NO STANS. Knocking on wood right now, but I have not flatted in years. Rims can make a big difference as far as how some tires will fit too. I use WTB Laser Disc rims. They have an extra deep hook w/ a bulge of aluminum on the hook and rim that really helps to hold tubeless tires on. Plus I think ghetto liners (20" tubes) work better than other liners because, the extra rubber, between the hook and bead, helps secure tire to rim and seal it.

What rims are you guys using?

I think I can.

"Not being able to mount your tire"

If your running a true tubeless set of rims and tires this might just help.

The trick I find that works best for me is to pull the UST stem and place a tube in the tire, pump the tire up till it sets the tire on both sides.

Once that is done only break one side, put the stem back in then fill the tire up, found that if one side is on the rim it makes it a ton easier and less of a mess to clean up.

I always try to run Tubeless since I tend to flat way too often when a tube is inside. 2cent

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast