• Yes

109 69.87%
  • No

39 25.00%
  • I run solid rubber tires

8 5.13%
    mtbr member

Do you run tubeless/UST?

Curious how many Front Range MTBers are running a tubeless set up. I have been for a couple years but considering switching back. I keep destroying UST tires and for some reason that doesn't seem to happen when I run tubes. Plus I just spent an hour trying to mount a Maxxis LUST tire with no luck. Those things are beyotch.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    How about a yes/no option? My old bike has one tubeless, one tube. My new bike... two tubes.

Yappy little dog!
    Pffttt...

Slime tubes!

Me + Stans = Never Work

Tossin the salad.
    schnauzers - you really like those slime tubes?

If so, what PSI you run them at?

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_Shifter
    schnauzers - you really like those slime tubes?

If so, what PSI you run them at?

Yes, I really like them. I was an original adopter of Stan's until my first blow out. I never went back, but in the piney;s of NJ, you have to use something because of thorns.

I know the whole hub bub over wheel weight and rotation, yada yada yada. Yes, they are heavy, but I don't race and if I add two pounds to the bike then I'll just lose two off my fat a$$. I've had one Stan's flat and that was a snake bit from hitting a rock.

I usually run them at about 35 pounds.

Tossin the salad.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Yes, I really like them. I was an original adopter of Stan's until my first blow out. I never went back, but in the piney;s of NJ, you have to use something because of thorns.

I know the whole hub bub over wheel weight and rotation, yada yada yada. Yes, they are heavy, but I don't race and if I add two pounds to the bike then I'll just lose two off my fat a$$. I've had one Stan's flat and that was a snake bit from hitting a rock.

I usually run them at about 35 pounds.

Thanks 4 the feed back. I never considered these since I heard they were heavy. But you're right!!........ I don't race and if they are two pounds I can loose that on me or loose it in about 30 min of riding

I been pretty luck for no leaks / blow outs, but I think I may try these. Thanks for your feedback.

hehe ...you said "member"
    I used to pinch flat all the time before going tubeless - huge improvement for me.
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

Stiff yet compliant
    I am currently running several flavors of tubeless. UST, Stans, Ghetto. I originally tried out of curiosity and after some experimentation have found there is a bit of a learning curve. Once you understand the basic principals that allow a tire to seal to a rim without a tube you can do all kinds of crazy things manufacturers never intended.

Edit: It is odd you are destroying UST tires. They generally have a tougher casing than standard tires.
    Last edited by Moustache rider; 06-15-2010 at 08:36 PM.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    UST Continental Mtn kings. I got one puncture and after it jizzed stans out the hole for a little bit, it sealed and has been fine ever since. It was kind of fun to watch.

mtbr member

Destroying them?

How are you destroying them?

I have noticed that the sidewalls wear out faster than the tread especially with the specialized 2bliss. I've tried the s works, aramdillo, and grid UST and it happens to all of them but the grid was most durable. I run them with Stans and I guess this voids the warranty.

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    I will never go back to tubes... I even converted the wife's cruiser.

llama, are you still running tubed tires tubeless?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I run ghetto tubeless with Stan's. I really like them. Plus, I run a stupid low tire pressure. However, I'm really light at 125lbs and maybe 140lbs max with gear.

CSM
    Jun 2009
    Maxxis High Roller Super Tacky UST.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    I've been running Maxxis UST tires on my tubeless rims for 5 yrs now. Ignitors, Crossmax, HighRollers,etc.

A squirt of Slime/Stans in the tire and I haven't flatted in 5 yrs despite 20-30 goatheads a tire.

I ride them till the center 60% of the tire is bald.

No way I'd ride a tubed tire !

Does Not Belong on a Bike
    I fear the lack of tubes. I go with tubes and True Goo.
    This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!

mtbr member

Stan's Man

I've gone tubeless for many years now with regular tires and rims using Stan's Notubes system - rim strip & sealant. Yes, it's a messy hassle installing and replenishing the fluid every three months; and yes, Stan's may not work with all tire / rim combinations. But I've never had a pinch flat or thorn flat since using Stans; the climbing and braking is notably better running lower air pressure (30 lbs front & rear for someone weighing 200 lbs. with gear); and the ride is more cushy, too. My bikes are an Ellsworth "Truth" 26'er and a Specialized "Stumpjumper Expert" 29'er. Ride on!

mtbr member
    I've been running tubeless tires tubeless (Panaracers, Bontragers, Geax, and Kendas). I use Stans for Sealant (actually, back east I didn't use any sealant). They held up well when I lived back east but since moving here 18 months ago I've destroyed three, all over about a 6 month span. All three died because of major, unsealable gashes along the tread (not sidewall). Seems pretty common with all the sharp rocks around here.

Last night I tried installing two new Maxxis LUST tires (one Advantage, one Crossmark) and I just can't the friggen get the things onto the wheels. Argh.

mtbr member
    Went tubeless last year....so just over a year and only one flat, caused by a rock breaking the valve. No way will I ever go back to tubes. I run the highroller on the front and an ignitor on the rear. The trend wears out long before I see any issues with the sidewalls....in fact I have never had any issues with the sidewalls.

CSM
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow
    Went tubeless last year....so just over a year and only one flat, caused by a rock breaking the valve. No way will I ever go back to tubes. I run the highroller on the front and an ignitor on the rear. The trend wears out long before I see any issues with the sidewalls....in fact I have never had any issues with the sidewalls.
    You running LUST? I've never had issues with the sidewalls either, but I haven't uses LUST yet (LUST is apparently lighter and has weaker sidewalls?).

Anyways, I've scraped the hell out of the sidewalls on many occasions, and nothing, not even a scratch. My only gripe is the compound wearing quickly, but then again I am running the super tacky.

i like rocks
    tubes are stooooooopid. i've been tubeless for around 4 years with no on-trail problems.
    Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEBiker
    You running LUST? I've never had issues with the sidewalls either, but I haven't uses LUST yet (LUST is apparently lighter and has weaker sidewalls?).

Anyways, I've scraped the hell out of the sidewalls on many occasions, and nothing, not even a scratch. My only gripe is the compound wearing quickly, but then again I am running the super tacky.
    Yeah I have been running the LUST with no issues.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    +1 for the Highroller on front and Ignitor on the rear. Only problem has been the occasional Maxxis blister on 2 out of 5 tires in 4 years.

mtbr member
    I've been running Stan's strips/sealant for a year now with Geax Lobo Loco tubeless tires at 30lbs pressure. No flats, great performance easy to inflate, I love them. I will never go back to tubes again, I used to pinch flat with tubes about every other ride at higher pressure.

mtbr member
    Ghetto liners w/ Minion 2.5 DHF tubeless (Silkworm casing) front, and High Roller 2.35 tubelss (Lust casing) rear. NO STANS. Knocking on wood right now, but I have not flatted in years. Rims can make a big difference as far as how some tires will fit too. I use WTB Laser Disc rims. They have an extra deep hook w/ a bulge of aluminum on the hook and rim that really helps to hold tubeless tires on. Plus I think ghetto liners (20" tubes) work better than other liners because, the extra rubber, between the hook and bead, helps secure tire to rim and seal it.

What rims are you guys using?

I think I can.

"Not being able to mount your tire"

If your running a true tubeless set of rims and tires this might just help.

The trick I find that works best for me is to pull the UST stem and place a tube in the tire, pump the tire up till it sets the tire on both sides.

Once that is done only break one side, put the stem back in then fill the tire up, found that if one side is on the rim it makes it a ton easier and less of a mess to clean up.

I always try to run Tubeless since I tend to flat way too often when a tube is inside. 2cent

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by llama
    I've been running tubeless tires tubeless (Panaracers, Bontragers, Geax, and Kendas). I use Stans for Sealant (actually, back east I didn't use any sealant). They held up well when I lived back east but since moving here 18 months ago I've destroyed three, all over about a 6 month span. All three died because of major, unsealable gashes along the tread (not sidewall). Seems pretty common with all the sharp rocks around here.

Last night I tried installing two new Maxxis LUST tires (one Advantage, one Crossmark) and I just can't the friggen get the things onto the wheels. Argh.
    The kicker for Maxxis tires is that they're tight. Soapy water is your friend.

I've run and almost worn the tread off some LUST Highrollers with Stan's / CaffeLatex - I've put plenty of damage on the rims but the tires have yet to let me down - EX5.1 rims with the DT rimstrips.

Dude...
    Definitely tubeless. I used to run the ghetto method with regular tires, but after multiple tears on rocks, I turned to the UST with stans. Turns out tears are usually bigger than a puncture, and stans can only do so much. Maybe I should just lay of the brakes a bit, or break sooner.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    I'm surprised at how many people are running tubeless. Unless, maybe this poll attracts a disproportionate amount of tubeless fans.

Anyway, I run tubeless- when done properly, it's more reliable and in many cases it's also lighter.
    After a few early attempts at conversions with tubeless ready tires, standard tube tires, Stan's rim strips, I now run UST rims and either UST or some sort of tubeless ready tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEMTBR COLORADO
    If your running a true tubeless set of rims and tires this might just help.

The trick I find that works best for me is to pull the UST stem and place a tube in the tire, pump the tire up till it sets the tire on both sides.

Once that is done only break one side, put the stem back in then fill the tire up, found that if one side is on the rim it makes it a ton easier and less of a mess to clean up.

I always try to run Tubeless since I tend to flat way too often when a tube is inside. 2cent
    I did that, sort of. I mounted the tires with tubes and inflated to let them stretch for a week. Then I removed the tires completely to do the tubeless set up.

slow
    I'm old school. Tubes for me.

mtbr member

Tubeless

Tubeless 2.35" tires with slime on XM819 rims.

Ignitor UST LUST in rear

Either:

Kenda Blue groove DTC w/ slime filled tube up front or

Hutchinson Barracuda Enduro UST (heavy, indestructible tank of a tire) with no sealant.

Next front will be a UST/LUST Highroller with slime.

I used to get a pinch flat every time I rode Heil Ranch until I went tubeless. Since then... no flats ever anywhere. Well, at least not related to proper riding...

Let's face it, if you ride through a field of Goat heads in Moab, you'll get a flat.

BTW - I also race cross out here and use either tubulars or tubed type tires with slime-filled tubes. I once pulled a goat head out of a cross front tire on the starting line and it sealed with maybe 2 psi lost. Raced fine.

mtbr member
    Tubeless- Panaracer Rampage ghetto on one bike, Stan's on the other. Both work great, but personally I like the ghetto better. Only flat I've had in over two years was a sidewall tear that would of flatted either way.
    "If we don't change the direction we are headed, we will end up where we are going." Chinese Proverb

Ride, Rinse, Repeat

Ust

UST rims & Tires, tubeless on both single & our mountain Tandem. Also have run tubeless on a cross bike with SOME success (a lot of burping at LOW pressures..).

WAY fewer flats over 4+ years on Tubeless, but HAVE cut/split a few tires, pretty much all hits that would have flatted about any setup.

An air compressor is (sadly) almost a requirement to seat tubeless without headaches. And do NOT skip the soapy water trick, makes it MUCH easier to seat beads.

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    the dude and I both run tubeless; prior to last year it was all his own homebrew ghetto job using Stan's. he would even do this with Michelin Python non-UST tyres which are about the last ones anyone would recommend for such a treatment. He and I have both worn out treads before replacing tyres. YES it is a mess and hassle the couple times a year you have to deal with it. And of course running ghetto with a delicate XC-racer tyre like the Python, we did have a couple of (rather hilarious actually) episodes of trail jizz owing to rock slashes... fortunately neither during a race, so it was just a matter of stop, cuss a little, wipe it down and install a spare tube (which we always carry anyhow). Honestly I'm thinking the rips we got on those tyres would have to have been booted & destroyed the tube ANYHOW even if we weren't running Stan's, so about the only difference was the mess factor.

Since then he's got a set of Mavic UST Crossmax and I built some UST wheels (homebrew Mavic/DT/American Classic disc hubs) + then bought a brand new set of champagne Cobalts... after which he promptly stole my homebrew builds for his hardtail. Haven't had a bit of trouble since, plus which we quit running Pythons in favour of SB 8s.

I might add that neither of us weighs over 150 lbs fully loaded down, we both mainly ride our dualie 26ers, and neither of us is the world's most aggressive rider, so there is that.

friend of Apex
    tubes, you mean the thing you wrap the chainstay with? Yeah, I run them

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Converted to tubeless a couple of years ago with the old bike. Got a new Blur LTc and converted those wheels as well. One ghetto with 20" tube as rim strip using Stan's and the other with packing tape and Cafe Latex. I've never had a flat with the Stan's on either bike but the other day I got a hole in the tire with the CL. I sat there and watched it all drain out of the tire without sealing the hole. I think Stan's wouldn't have had a problem sealing up that hole. There were a few small thorns that the CL sealed up but it couldn't touch the bigger hole like stans can. The Cafe Latex as quite a bit easier to mount up initially but but if it doesn't work what's the point. Think I'll go back to Stan's for both wheels.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Running Caffelatex after running Stans goop for years. Its been great so far with Stans rims and standard tires( Panaracer Rampage and WTB Prowler).

Tubes blow. I have to run them at 38 psi or more to keep from pinch flatting and I like to keep my pressure between 28-30 psi. I'm 200 lbs sans gear.

mtbr member
    This has already been done. Please search before posting! This thread is useless without pics
    Somebody better get me a stamp...I'm gonna send it

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Tubeless/UST/tubeless tires for three years, no more pinch flats or any flats for that matter... Best MTB improvement ever

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    how can you be surprised at how many use tubeless? I am surprised not all 100% use tubeless. We live in colorado, with our rocks and thorns, tubeless was made for our locale!!!

I've not had trouble seating crossmarks before. And it is a great rear tire!

I'm about to set up my new rigid 29er tubeless, should be a fun time! Cheat tires though, so we'll see how it works.

I'm with stupid
    I enjoy tubeless, as a matter of fact i rode a bike with tubes last friday and i recived a reminder why i went to tubless. When i was changing a tube on a super muddy wet bike. I dont know if i could ever go back other then my constant changing of tires i like to do get a little time consuming.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by llama
    I did that, sort of. I mounted the tires with tubes and inflated to let them stretch for a week. Then I removed the tires completely to do the tubeless set up.
    Wait, what? I thought you couldn't get them on the rim.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Been riding tubeless since 2001. All mavic wheels (Crossride and now Crossmax) with all sorts of tires (Hutchinsons - all crap, IRC Serac - great tire, Kenda Nevegals - pretty good)...in 9 years of riding them I have only had to put tubes in twice due to big thorns that wouldn't seal with old Stans fluid. Plenty of small-punctures that sealed up quickly. I NEVER replace the Stans though, only put new fluid in with new tires. I have burped the Kendas a few times recently, but I was running close to 20-25psi on gnarly descents.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEMTBR COLORADO

The trick I find that works best for me is to pull the UST stem and place a tube in the tire, pump it up, then go ride my bike.

This, I can agree with

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Tubeless all the way, before I moved to Colorado, I went almost 6 years with out changing a tire on the trails. Pueblo Reservoir apparently eats tires, because I've been tires every couple of months after they get sidewall slashes.

Inflexable...
    Quote Originally Posted by T10irons
    This has already been done. Please search before posting! This thread is useless without pics

I rode your sister once...

Tubeless!
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...