mtbr member
    May 2011

Do you ride a Jet 9 RDO and used to ride a different full suspension 29er?

Hey folks

I have been on the hunt to replace my Fisher Hi-Fi Pro (2011, aluminum) with something in carbon. I have demoed a Tallboy 2x and still want to get on a carbon version of my own bike (superfly) at some point. I liked the Tallboy and after riding my Hi-Fi today I am beginning to understand what they mean when they say Carbon absorbs the trail better (less vibration).

Last week I as at LOB and my top downhill speed on the Tallboy Carbon was about 26.5 and I had to slow it down for my own comfort, no vibration. Today, on my Hi-Fi, my top downhill speed was about 23.5 and I could feel alot of vibration. Definitely a difference, but I still love my bike.

Anyhow, Golden Bike Shop finally has a JET RDO Medium built up for demos. I take it out in a few weeks and am excited to give it a comparison to the Tallboy. Not sure how I will demo a Carbon Superfly yet. (sugguestions?)

Anyway, the reviews on the Jet RDO are pretty impressive. I am curious to hear from those who ride one and how much they spent on their build outs. (specs would be great if you have time).

I have always ridden with SRAM and am hearing mb switch to Shimano (heavier but better performance?) I don't know, mb the difference between the 2 just comes down to preference.

Thanks all in advance. This forum is great for information.

Shodan

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I have a Jet9 RDO, just did a 25 mile ride on it this morning. Mine is built up more trail than race, with a 120mm fork up front. I've had many full suspension bikes, and still have a Turner 5Spot that I ride some (but nearly as much anymore). I think mine built up fully with pedals, chain, real tires and two scoops of sealant in each tire was just barely under 25lbs. It weighs less than my 4 year old son's bike we got him from Performance, and I built it to be dependable not to say I had an uber light bike.

I demoed a lot of bikes (Turner Sultan, Pivot 429, Tallboy Carbon, Spec Epic Carbon, Superfly 100, etc) and ended up on this bike.

I'm considerably faster on the ups on this bike than any bike I've ever owned, regardless of fitness level which is good not great these days. The more impressive thing to me is that I'm not much slower on the downs on the JET9 RDO than I am on my 5Spot or my old 575 despite them being more travel, burlier built bikes.

Its a really expensive frame and there are a lot of great options out there. I'm sure you could find a bike that was 95% as good for less money, but for me and how / where I ride I haven't found anything, regardless of price, that I would replace this bike with. Incredibly versatile bike, best in breed that I've ridden.

Basic specs
    RockShox Reba 120 RLTi with 20mm Maxle
    SRAM XX shifters, der, cassette
    SRAM XX brakes / rotors
    Truvativ Noir 3.3 crankset setup 2x10 with bashguard
    Stans Arch Rims with Chris King hubs
    Niner RDO bar
    Thomson seatpost
    Thomson stem
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron / Racing Ralph tires

Nothing that I consider real weight weenie parts except the XX brakes. They work OK, but aren't near the stoppers that my pairs of Formula brakes are. The Schwalbe tires are pretty light, but setup tubeless they've been rock solid for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you ride a Jet 9 RDO and used to ride a different full suspension 29er?-img_7081.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    University Bicycles in Boulder has one of these on display for a slightly reduced price with "chipped" written on the tag. I'm assuming that means a paint chip. Might be worth checking out if you are in the market.

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 187 View Post
    University Bicycles in Boulder has one of these on display for a slightly reduced price with "chipped" written on the tag. I'm assuming that means a paint chip. Might be worth checking out if you are in the market.
    IIRC my husband and I looked at that one - I think it's an XL.

Quote Originally Posted by shodan22
    Anyhow, Golden Bike Shop finally has a JET RDO Medium built up for demos. I take it out in a few weeks and am excited to give it a comparison to the Tallboy.
    we actually just took this one + their small out for demos Friday night / yesterday. We ordered a pair of frames straight away when we took them back in this morning.

We don't actually own full suspension 29ers yet, but I may be able to give you some insight based on the demos I've done plus the fact that we settled on the Niner Jet RDOs after an exhaustive summer of figuring out which bikes to buy and what body parts we'll have to sell to afford the Niners (kidding...mostly).

I've also demoed a carbon Tallboy and a Giant Anthem X 29 recently, and we've both ridden both the Superfly & Superfly 100 as loaners / demos from friends. Both of us eliminated the Superflys as an option, just our personal preference owing to the suspension type, and my own personal nitpick of seemingly frequent pedal strikes + not being able to find a comfortable balanced position on the Trek/GF geometry. Just never felt quite right, but then I'm a little girl on the fringes of 29er compatibility in sizing, so it's likely a lot harder for me than it would be for a normal dude-sized dude.

My impression of the Jet 9 RDO is that the suspension is much better balanced for my personal style of riding than any of the other bikes I've demoed or ridden in the same carbon 29er bracket. It hands down pedals better than the Anthems either fully open or fully locked out, and that's a big admission for me as I've been on Maestro bikes for years.

We will be setting these up with the intent of doing rougher XC races and enduro events and long trail days with them. Even in full trail trim running 3x10 XT with 120mm forks and heavy bomber non-tubeless trail tires on, the demo bikes from the Golden shop proved faster both climbing and descending than our current bikes (Anthem X 26ers), which are actually several pounds lighter the way we've got them built up. We actually demoed all the bikes on the same trails and used a combo of our own impressions + strava data to compare. The Niner demo bikes had the least impressive parts spec of all the bikes we demoed, were considerably heavier than the Tallboy C I rode, and still beat all the other demos hands down, both subjectively and objectively.

I felt like the Niner suspension was both more active and better balanced than that of the Tallboy C, however that could also have to do with the fact that I'm 5'4" and the TBc (they don't offer a small) just did not quite fit me.

I also really like the geometry of the Niner, again this is mainly a personal preference, but it was much easier to set it up so that I felt properly centered and balanced "in" the bike.

Both my husband and I were frankly astonished at how nimble these frames are, even in the tight twisting sections of the trails we demoed them on. And that's even considering the insanely wide flatbar they put on the small for some unknown reason. I personally don't care for ultra-wide bars; partly as they're incredibly disproportionate to my size and force my shoulders and wrists into an uncomfortable angle, partly because they're a pure hazard in the woods, and partly because they seem to "numb up" the bike's handling quite a bit. I don't need the extra leverage to climb, probably because I'm not a 6' tall Clyde guy.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Yeah what she said....

Anyway, I was just going to add something from my demos I did when I was selecting a bike. The only bike I had a hard time dismissing was the S-Works Epic. That bike was really nice, albeit unreasonably expensive. It definitely pedaled like a hardtail, but was more forgiving (once dialed in) than I ever expected it to be. Didn't like the geometry as much as the Niner though. I summed it up as 75 / 25 race to trail where the Niner I felt could be 75 / 25 or 25 / 75 depending on setup.

The other thing that I remembered was how much pedaling in the little ring bugged me on the Tallboy C. I felt like I was fighting the pedals the whole time I was climbing on that bike in the little ring. In the middle ring, I didn't notice it but the little ring pedal feedback was noticeable. If you are fit enough to never need to climb in the granny, then its no big deal. I never really felt at home on that bike either, couldn't ever get a good pedaling position that I felt like I would feel comfortable in techy situations.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have ridden a tallboy 2x, once at deer creek on a shop demo (short ride) and again doing all of LOB. I liked the Tallboy, mainly because it was carbon and I am on aluminum and I could feel the difference in lack of vibration. But, it never did feel quite right with the stability of the front. I am really bad at describing.

Handling wise, I still like my Hi-Fi Pro, and maybe that is because I have been on it the most. I also demo'd an S-Works Epic and I just didn't love it---although it climbed pretty darned good.

I have been on a Giant X3 - i think and a stumpjumper FSR as well, but those were back in Michigan and I didn't love either.

Hopefully I will come full circle when I ride the RDO in a few weeks. If it doesn't, I want to try to demo a Carbon Camber and a Superfly next.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My experience is all with Niner. I had a 2008 RIP 9 which I loved. I sold it and bought the 2010 "new" RIP 9 and hated it, and sold it. I recently bought a Jet 9 RDO and love it. It reminds me of the old RIP, but faster and stiffer. I am riding a SRAM XO grip shift group.

I also ride a Lynskey HT 29er.

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub View Post
    The other thing that I remembered was how much pedaling in the little ring bugged me on the Tallboy C. I felt like I was fighting the pedals the whole time I was climbing on that bike in the little ring.
    you're not the first person I've heard make that statement. I did not notice this when I demoed the TBc, but that's also because that bike ran 2x10. If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say the more recent high end FS builds maybe optimized to best work with 2x gearing. I do know that I vastly prefer 2x10 gearing ratios on the 29ers I've demoed so far, and that is what we'll be specing our RDO builds with.

The demo bikes we rented from GBS not only ran 3x gearing, they were apparently whatever cheapish 3x they had lying around, and I suspect they were stock 26 gears maybe off an OEM swap, as they did not seem to be the right ratios for big wheels. I prefer to climb seated in the middle ring on most things when using 3x, and was forced to either stand and mash or drop to the granny a couple of times. This actually turned out to be a good demo of how well the suspension design works tho, as I was able to do either without any noticeable drama from the rear end. I am a roadie by background and crit racer by speciality, so I am particularly irked by waste of forward motion (perceived or real).

It says something for the RDO that the suspension design and geometry shone for us despite their indifferent demo build (ok, indifferent to us; however I imagine GBS demos a lot of bikes to the Apex / AM huckabilly crowd and doesn't want to continually replace expensive parts; been there, worked in a shop, understand the logic). The TBc I rode was a completely tricked out full-tilt XTR-with-carbon-wheelset ultra bling affair and I still did not click with it like I did the RDO.

As I understand it, most FS designs throughout the 2000s have been optimized to pedal smoothest in the middle ring, as the progression of rear squish designs up until recently has been somewhat of a compromise between compliance and pedaling feedback, at least until propedal technologies and VPP designs really got dialed in. I rode one of the early proflex designs back in the mid 90's and it was a nightmare. The bloody thing rode like a bad '70s full-motion waterbed regardless of what you were doing, and I was so appalled that I raced hardtails exclusively for the next ten years.

That said, there are a lot of riders out there with entirely valid reasons to run 3x gearing, and no modern FS bike should kick, bob, squat, wallow, inchworm or otherwise suck in the granny. FS designs (one hopes) have come far enough in the past 2 decades to have solved most of those issues, especially on frames you're being asked to shell out upwards of $2K for.

We have a pair of nice Specialized carbon 'cross bikes, but I would have to either be on a mega bro-deal or rolling around a champagne filled hot tub lighting $100 bills on fire style rich to even remotely consider an S-works of any description. As my husband put it, for the amount we're spending, these are the last mountain bikes we're buying for the next six or seven years, so we'd better be damn sure about our decision.

bike rider
    If I was in the market for a carbon 29 FS I'd wait for the Ibis Ripley.
    Also, the differences you felt in "vibration" could be more due to the shock tune and tires than frame material.
    Keep the Country country.