Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Awesomist™

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)

Yeah, man... I like to get HIGH... so I'm dedicating a thread to full-on high country riding STOKE. I know you got some shots, post 'em up. Let's try and keep the stoke to truly getting HIGH and remember... the Dude abides. To start us off, here's some pictures from America's Birthday 2013: Colorado Trail from Copper to Kokomo Pass as an out-n-back with a crew including teh LBG and WKD-RDR.

About halfway up Guller Creek:

WKD-RDR on a bit of amazing singletrack:

Just popped above treeline, and things are starting to get real:

We only had a few snow fields to cross, this one is just shy of Searle Pass by a few hundred yards:

Teh LBG and I (and a marmot) on top of Searle Pass at 12,027'. I'm in the flannel:

WKD-RDR setting off for Kokomo Pass. We were the only two of an 8-person group to mission over to Kokomo Pass and back:

Mission accomplished at 12,027'. Now to get back...
    Last edited by Full Trucker; 07-05-2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: To make the thread title moar relevant to riding.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

I work in .001 tolerances
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    I'm in the flannel:
    ^ This made me laugh.

Nice STOKE!!
    'You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Full Trucker again.'

Chronic 1st-timer
    Most excellent
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

Team Velveeta™

High Enough For You?

From a 12,600 ft hilltop between Salida and Gunnybird. Yesterday Foh Dee July.

And then of course the gratuitous Nice Marmot from Indian Ridge (~12,200 ft) north of Durango this past Saturday:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-brittlesilverfromgranitemountainpano.jpg  

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-canyoncreekpano1.jpg  

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-canyoncreekpano2.jpg  

Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    High Enough For You?
    DUDE, YOU'RE SO HIGH!

Nice marmot! Our little pudgy friend was trying to either eat or have sex with WKD-RDR's bike on Searle Pass yesterday... totally ENAMORED with it... probably because at 12K he's just really high! It all ended when he was literally hugging the fork and the bike toppled over on top of him... friggin' hysterical! He was up on his hind legs with his little front paws totally wrapped around the fork leg and then KAPLOW he knocked it over.

Punch it, Chewie.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    ... Our little pudgy friend was trying to either eat or have sex with WKD-RDR's bike on Searle Pass yesterday... totally ENAMORED with it... probably because at 12K he's just really high! It all ended when he was literally hugging the fork and the bike toppled over on top of him... friggin' hysterical! He was up on his hind legs with his little front paws totally wrapped around the fork leg and then KAPLOW he knocked it over.
    That's crazy! Amazing how completely unafraid of us the high kountry kritters can be. I had a (I think) Ptarmigan walking in front of me yesterday just clucking and walking 8 feet away as I stumbled up the CC Hike-a-Bike. If I was hungry I think I could have taken off my pack and thrown it on top of her then cooked her up. Or I could have maybe ran up and kicked her like a football...

On an unrelated note, I was talking to our friend MacDarnerferd yesterday at River's Edge as he ate a plate of victuals and I drank a First Cast--he's been up there in the Tomichi country lots this summer. He rode up there from town I think Tuesday or Wednesday.

lucky enough
    Nice work all of you! I've got to get high soon!
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

I did it all for the kudo
    Great post! Thanks for the stoke, I need to get high!!!

Awesomist™
    On an unrelated note, I was talking to our friend MacDarnerferd yesterday at River's Edge as he ate a plate of victuals and I drank a First Cast--he's been up there in the Tomichi country lots this summer. He rode up there from town I think Tuesday or Wednesday.
    I need to get down there to God's Country and get high with that dude REAL soon... CC has been on my radar for a hot minute and I think this year I'm gonna make it happen. LOL at the visual of you punting a ptarmigan, BTW.

Punch it, Chewie.

friend of Apex
    Nice lil Marmot held my bike up for this 'look at my rad clown bike in a super rad spot', shot.

I thought he was chewing my cables for a minute, but it appears he was licking (maybe he liked my sweat?)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-img_0642_zpsc993b7e0.jpg  

Last edited by WKD-RDR; 07-06-2013 at 07:30 AM.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Very cool! I love your "high" adventures!

mtbr member
    Camp Trail starts just above lake San Cristobel and runs up to about 12300 and joins CDT.

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-20130526_104901_resized.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-20130525_152057_resized_1.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-20130526_113747_resized.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've got some pics of me real high, above 13k. From back in the day. But I can't find them. They're hiding on some hard drive, seemingly never to be found. I did, however, find something I've been looking for for about three weeks, hidden in the dark recesses of my closet in a box that I'd looked in FIRST, twice, but didn't see it. From looking in closet to garage to storage unit back to closet to FOUND in closet.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

gotta get up to get down
    hopefully i'll be getting high this weekend.... praise this thread and its incredible stoke ! ! !

... i've heard, but never actually experienced, that **** gets REAL above treeline ... can't wait

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-hbars_sun.jpg

Green Chile Enforcer
    Jun 2009
    The Goat and I got HIGH yesterday.

There's a bit of a cornice on Jones pass

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-p1050688.jpg

Got excited and did some snow sliding

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-p1050684.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-p1050691.jpg

And then, amazing views and trails!

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-p1050697.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-p1050701.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-p1050702.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-p1050708.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-p1050710.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-p1050715.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-p1050720.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-p1050724.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-p1050730.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-p1050736.jpg

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueallah View Post
    Camp Trail starts just above lake San Cristobel and runs up to about 12300 and joins CDT...
    Oh yeah, I've been up the Camp Trail! Been at least a decade, but I rode and pushed up that sucker.

Once you make the top you're on a section of CT that traverses what's called the La Garita Stock Driveway. Leads you over into the upper Rio Grande basin, follow the CT down and down into Bear Town.

Awesome country. I think the fires have it kind of off limits just now...

lucky enough
    nice stoke Slow!
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    Nice lil Marmot held my bike up for this 'look at my rad clown bike in a super rad spot', shot.

I thought he was chewing my cables for a minute, but it appears he was licking (maybe he liked my sweat?)

Alpine vermin. They'll chew up anything salty or sweet. I had one chew up the chin straps on my helmet and bike gloves once when I left them parked with my bike for a couple hours once. They can be hell on radiator hoses too. Porcupines are worse at chewing up property, but marmots are a close second.

Shread Ready
    Wow, awesome pictures high riders! I hope to get some high riding in this summer. Funny varmints up at that altitude. LOL
    Ride on!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    still n00b at getting teh highs...

just a little shy of Georgia Pass...
    Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-1044460_10201308226165872_1480295198_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Awesome thread! Although a little bittersweet for me. I had planned on getting a little high this summer taking on Crested Butte, Monarch Crest and a couple other trails. However, I likely took myself out for the season with a separated shoulder a couple of weeks ago. I'll just have to enjoy everyone's pictures in anticipation of next year.

mtbr member
    So much awesomeness!!

friend of Apex

Moar pixels

teh climbz

final push (a realtionship builder) =)

hey man, can I borrow some water. I jus need a lil bit. My mouf iz kinna dry

dude, where's meh bike

oh, heeeere it is

but comin down is the best high

friend of Apex
    these guys, real fuggin high

The 5th knuckle
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Full Trucker again.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to WKD-RDR again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast