Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Do I need/want a Fat Bike in the Front Range?

OK, like every other bike junkie I am feeling winter cabin fever for something new. I have spent the last week researching Fat Bikes. Before I pull the trigger and regret it, is there anyone out there riding them on the snow covered Front Range trails?

I ride all year and don't mind the cold, and think I will ride it a lot, but will I really use it?

If anyone has one, where are you riding them?

Thanks.
    Last edited by coyotegulch; 12-19-2011 at 04:51 PM.

mtbr member
    I've got a buddy here in the Springs who loves his and is riding it everywhere. And when it snows, he makes a special effort to go out in the woods with it.

Do you NEED one? Probably not... but according to my friend, you most definitely WANT one!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

I'm with stupid
    There is not enough snow here on a constant basis that you would need a fad I mean fat bike on the front range. You can get away with riding almost year round on a normal bike with some good tires IMHO.

I tapped that

Home of the Gravedigger
    Yes you need one. Even if you only get to ride it 10 times a year or less, they will be the most fun bike rides you have ever had. Go for it, you will not regret it.

Photobucket

My cup runneth over
    Pic from last night on GM.

I have been riding year round in CO for the last several years and got a Fat for last winter. Previously was riding my regular bike in the snow every winter. There are times (10 - 20%?) when the regular bike with studded tires would actually have been better than the Fat - despite the hype, Fat isn't always best. For the rest of the time, the Fat is a magic carpet and puts a huge grin on my face as I make sections undo-able on my skinnier tires some of them truly LOL fun (think north side sections after a thaw/freeze while everyone else is post-holing).

I also ride mine during the summer for a change and it is a blast to pick the loosest sections of trails (that might normally be avoided) and roll right up them. Also ride it when out in the desert I find it works almost better in sand than in snow.

Need? No.
    Want? Absolutely
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do I need/want a Fat Bike in the Front Range?-img_0275.jpg  

mtbr member

Enabler

I was thinking the same thing, fat bikes look like a lot of fun, but like others have said you can ride year round for the most part w/out fat tires here. No you don't need one but it would be cool to have one. I'm not sure what you ride, but i was thinking of going with the Enabler on my current bike to make a 1/2 fat bike. Plus it's way cheaper. But hey if you have the cash go for it, I hear the muk luk is pretty sweet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do I need/want a Fat Bike in the Front Range?-em%2520enabler.jpg  

Without rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other. Red Foreman - That 70's show.

Home of the Gravedigger
    You could always demo one during the next snow. I think Alpha Bicycle Company, Golden Bike Shop, and The Hub Bicycle Shop have demo/rental snow bikes. Looks like this Thursday might be a good day to try one out too!

Rolling
    I think they are more cool when others ride them.

I say keep the romance of intrigue and avoid them

PS: I see them more practical on sand than snow. They really don't float that well on snow IMO, and they just have more mass and incompatible costs that you can't really apply to the bike you normally ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I ride a hard tail Ti 29er now and love it.

I am getting really close to pulling the trigger. Plus I think I may have talked two friends into them as well. Considering a Mukluk or a Fatback.

mtbr member
    This thread made me think of this photo which I saved from the fat bike forum. Fat bike enthusiasts are riding fat bikes all over the place, not just in snow, raising eyebrows and cracking people up along the way. I think its great and looks like mad fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do I need/want a Fat Bike in the Front Range?-tire-comparison.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The rider on the Mukluk is named Doc. I met him a couple days before Leadville. Great guy and he had nothing but good things to say about the bike. He rode Leadville on that bike as well. I also saw a guy at the Bailey Hundo on one.

Home of the Gravedigger
    Just spend some time on the Fat Bike Forums and you will see that it is not a fad....people are riding these bikes everywhere for every type of riding. You will be surprised at the things you can ride in snow while your skinny 2.2 tires would just sink and spin out. I ride 5-7 psi at 200 lbs. Fatbacks are hard to come by if you didn't pre-order one last year. If you want instant gratification, stick with a Pug or Muk. I personally like steel over aluminum, so the Pug was my choice (I have a custom Northpaw fat frame on the way) and both bikes pretty much weigh the same.

Losing Ground
    Last winter I rode my 29er and surprisingly accomplished more than I expected. But this year will be even better on my Muk and will at least keep my fire stoked.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Fat Sand Bike

I live over the hill in Alamosa and just jumped and bought a fat bike. Having a lot of money in bikes in the garage already, I did not want to make the jump on a $1500 dollar fat bike, that I will definitely ride, but not all year. I went the direction of a Fat Sand Bike, which is a pretty good deal. I have about a 100 miles on mine, made some mods with parts I had in the garage, and am overall pretty happy. Tommie designed the bike for beach resorts, but it is an aluminum frame, 4 inch wide tires, nexus 8 speed hub, disc compatible, etc. I was actually pretty surprised at how well the nexus hub covers the gear ranges. Tommie's design is a little longer than most fat bikes, but I am finding it makes for a really stable ride. I have a few to sell, but was considering making some adjustments to them first, pedals, seat, seatpost, etc. This is my ride, I don't post much so I can't post pics, but you can look me up on Twitter at Mick Daniel to see the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You would not have posted if you didn't want one. They are awesome. Most smiles per miles you will ever get on a bike.

mtbr member
    Good to see the responses- I've been in the same boat- thinking/ lusting/ dreaming about the fatbike. Not sure I can justify it this year, but definitely planning on demoing one from GBS at some point this winter. Let us know what you ultimately decide (I think your mind is made up- just the getting off the pot part that needs to be taken care of ).
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    a fad I mean fat bike
    lulz

but, all the cool kids are getting them...

moar hype from the "industry" shills

mtbr member
    I want one too. No real reason other than riding one looks fun.

I also think it would make a good bike to ride with the family or tow the kid in the trailer. Bigger tires = more resistance, means I can go harder and not achieve dangerous speeds with kid in tow.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    lulz

but, all the cool kids are getting them...

moar hype from the "industry" shills

Seriously Chicken, why do you feel obligated to put "lulz" after every single comment you make? We all know you're joking. You don't need to tell us.

Now back to topic. Hype or not, fat bikes look like fun. I say buy one and see if you like it. If not, it seems like there's limited supply and growing demand, so you could re-sell it quickly and not lose much $$.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    that's how he rolls, dewd.

mtbr member
    Hype, fad, industry shills just trying to make a buck (who isn't?)... whatever. Point is, it makes people happy. Bikes is bikes. Looks like fun to me

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah, I'm gonna get one. I hope to order it before the end of the week. Just need to decide which one, and I talked at least one if not two buddies into one as well (it wasn't that hard).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Cause he's doin it for them:

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I saw the value of a snowbike last year at Leadville's winter series. I saw it every time I got passed up in snow I just could not ride on 2.3s.
    Free Wheel Coffee...A Coffee of Free Will
    www.Freewheelcoffee.com

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by Crit Rat View Post
    Bigger tires = more resistance
    Funny you should say that because in many conditions it isn't true. Super low tire pressure causes the tire to absorb small obstructions and have lower rolling resistance (sometimes). The rotating weight is where it gets more challenging but rarely enough to create a huge slowing effect. I suspect this has probably been covered ad nauseum in the Fat forum but it is often a surprise how well they roll.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast