SS Rider

Do bike shops buy used bikes?

Just a quick question for those of you near or in the Springs. Does anyone know of a bike shop or place that will buy a used bike? Talking the kind that costs more than 2K? Just looking to figure out the good options other than craigs list.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Shops here take them in on trade. I'm sure they'll buy a used bike, but they leave lots of head room for re-sale (read: low-ball offer... Kinda like what CarMax does). PinkBike and CL are probably your best bets to get a fair price for your bike.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by peanut09 View Post
    Just a quick question for those of you near or in the Springs. Does anyone know of a bike shop or place that will buy a used bike? Talking the kind that costs more than 2K? Just looking to figure out the good options other than craigs list.
    Thanks!
    Your best bet if you really don't want to sell it yourself is a consignment shop. Replay and Play It Again are a couple national chains, and I'm sure are some options out there that aren't chain.

In my experience, consignment shops take a pretty big taste of the proceeds.

There are some bike shops that sell new and used, but for most shops in my experience their floor space is too valuable to commit any of it to selling used stuff. They don't even want to have to blow any of their retail space showing last year's models, which is one of the reasons they discount new old stock this time of year.

No matter what, if you aren't willing to sell it yourself you're going to lose a fair amount of money. It just isn't like a car, where you lose some but maybe only 20%. The price you could get for the bike yourself is double what any retailer including a consignment shop will give you for it.

My $.02

EDIT: The classifieds here on mtbr are a bargain at $2 for an ad. I usually try local craigslist so I can avoid shipping, then when I'm done waiting and really want to make it go away I buy an mtbr ad. There's a sister forum to mtbr, road bike review that also has classifieds if it's of the skinny wheel variety.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

SS Rider
    I really would like to know of shops in the area if anyone has done this as I don't want to drag the bike around asking if that makes sense. I will give them the 18-20% as I don't want to deal with it. Has anyone done this?
    I guess I could trade it for a Ti Fatbike I just need to find the right kind of shop LOL

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by peanut09 View Post
    I really would like to know of shops in the area if anyone has done this as I don't want to drag the bike around asking if that makes sense. I will give them the 18-20% as I don't want to deal with it. Has anyone done this?
    I guess I could trade it for a Ti Fatbike I just need to find the right kind of shop LOL
    Try Dave at Redstone. He's got consignment bikes there.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    Try the guys over at The Hub off Palmer Park and Union. They have fat bikes, and I'd bet they can work a trade with ya.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I bet you could work a deal with a local shop to sell it for free if you spend that money in the shop on parts or new bike. Otherwise expect about 20%

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Bicycle Experience does on Tejon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Pinkbike has been very good to me for selling bikes, sure its a little more of a pain, but it only takes 15 minutes or so to box up a bike.. you can get UPS to pick up at your house.

Pinkbike opens up the whole nation for the sale.. my last two bikes have gone to Ithaca, NY and Southern California.

Both bikes sat on Craigslist for months before I got around to putting them on pinkbike, and then they were both gone within days..

mtbr member
    I've sold several high end bikes to Bicycle Experience. Great guys in there!

mtbr member
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." -- Mark Twain