Now older but less slow!

DirtLabs or Redstore for Fox fork service?

Okay, as I indicated in the Pike group buy thread I may just service my Fox 34 Float. I'm figuring that both DirtLabs and Redstone are pretty good for service - I've previously heard Dirtlabs being recommended though I've done no business with them, and Dave at Redstone is a standup kind of guy and swears by his "fork guy".

Speaking with Fox service today and describing my issues with the fork - that it is not soft enough on small bump compliance and is poor on low speed bump absorption while climbing but being good on fast, plough through everything, 15+mph descents they state that the new 2014 damper would make my fork worse and that the 2013 damper is actually softer and probably only need a damper service along with a regular oil change.

I tending towards Redstone as I know them but DirtLabs is close to work. Who'd you recommend?
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 01-14-2014 at 03:01 PM.

contains quinine
    Redstone has worked on a couple RockShox of mine and I've been 100% pleased.

His fork guy has plenty of experience as well...
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I can't comment on Redstone Cyclery; however, I have had great experience with DirtLabs.
    The work performed on my fork by DirtLabs was impeccable and the turnaround was very fast.
    DirtLabs also did an "emergency" re-build on my girlfriends' Fox fork. Of course, a seal in the fork failed two days before a trip to Crested Butte. DirtLabs did a one-day turnaround on the fork (replacing the seal and doing an oil change). Outstanding!

..ouch
    Personally, all my bike suspension work goes to Luby. He's a pro and just all around good dude. But really, there's no wrong answer here. Both are great shops with excellent reps.

Oh, So Interesting!
    I'm sure either one will be fine, it's not a difficult job.

I'd go with Redstone, the flood in Lyons was a big financial hit I'm sure.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Luby at DirtLabs just rebuilt my Fox 34 Float. I was in the same boat, wishing I had the Pike, but now I couldn't be happier with the Fox. No dives when breaking and smooth like butter. Having said that, I would take my bike to Redstone for all other services.

Now older but less slow!

Quote Originally Posted by gfowkes View Post
    Luby at DirtLabs just rebuilt my Fox 34 Float. I was in the same boat, wishing I had the Pike, but now I couldn't be happier with the Fox. No dives when breaking and smooth like butter. Having said that, I would take my bike to Redstone for all other services.
    This is good info.

I think I'll give Luby a try plus it's just down the road for me.

mtbr member
    Also worth considering (not spamming because I work here, but I do want to offer another great local suspension company option) -
    Push Industries - FOX FLOAT 34 CTD
    Last edited by nixgame22; 01-20-2014 at 08:29 AM.
    Maintain internal heights.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If you have $550 to spend...its worth it

Fox 34 Open Bath Cartridge Kit
    2012 Knolly Chilcotin
    2002 Haro VGF V3 - Still have my first real mtb

Now older but less slow!

^^^ too rich for my tastes.

I stopped by Dirtlabs today and spoke to Luby. I'm going to drop my bike of tomorrow and get both front and rear shocks done.

Goal is to get the front more plush for low speed hits and the back firmed up for just about everything.

kgm
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Both are solid.

Now older but less slow!
    Well I dropped off my bike at DirtLabs this lunchtime and by mid afternoon they were done with it. Yet to ride the bike - beyond my drive - but both shocks (I did both front and rear) are super super smooth.

I may even go as far to say that these shocks now seem smoother than when they were new.

A big to Luby.
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 01-17-2014 at 10:55 PM.

Formerly Carlos9
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    Well I dropped off my bike at DirtLabs this lunchtime and by mid afternoon they were done with it. Jet to ride the bike - beyond my drive - but both shocks (I did both front and rear) are super super smooth.

I may even go as far to say that these shocks now seem smoother than when they were new.

A big to Luby.
    Do you mind if I ask the cost? (From one ex pat to another )
    You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough.

Now older but less slow!

It was $130 per shock. They also did things such as adjust the boost valve in the rear shock. I don't think many shops touch that.

It's a little pricy but if it makes the bike feel like new again it's probably money well spent.

mtbr member
    Luby is the tits, he protuned my suspension when my bike was new and it was money well spent.

ride
    Appreciate the good words everyone. Luby is a good buddy and we are also a fan of Dirtlabs
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    K,
    When you get some trail time on your bike w/ the new squishy bits' tune, post up a before/after comparison, plz.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Formerly Carlos9
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    It was $130 per shock. They also did things such as adjust the boost valve in the rear shock. I don't think many shops touch that.

It's a little pricy but if it makes the bike feel like new again it's probably money well spent.
    Thanks, that sounds like decent price, especially if it breathes new life into the forks/shock.
    You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough.

Now older but less slow!

I've only ridden it at North Table Mountain so far. The back is very nice. The front is still a little firm for my liking so I need to adjust the pressure a bit but I would say it is definitely an improvement - though that would not have been hard as Luby told me my fork was dry. It needed a little K-Y to get the sliding going

I'll play with it more before I give out a definitive verdict. I need a balls out sunset chasing Picture Rock descent to know for sure.. When will the snow be gone?
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 01-21-2014 at 06:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I can chime in on my freshly rebuilt forks by DirtLabs. We went to Pueblo on Saturday, my first "real" ride sense the rebuild. Without a doubt, the forks performed better than brand new. Smooth and plush on the choppy shale, but held strong on the big canyon drops. Needless to say, spending $130 on a rebuild, saved me from spending a lot more on a new Pike. Thanks Luby.

"Furruccio....Bite Me!"
    Quote Originally Posted by nixgame22 View Post
    Also worth considering (not spamming because I work here, but I do want to offer another great local suspension company option) -
    Push Industries - FOX FLOAT 34 CTD
    Not a good option.

Dirtlabs is more specific, has a faster turnaround and their fees are much more reasonable. Plus they are much more pleasant to work with.

mtbr member
    Had Dirtlabs do some minor work on a rear shock. Good couple of guys. Luby is cool but don't forget to give Sam some love! He did the work on my shock and no more leaks!