mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Dirt Roads worth riding in the Front Range

Does anyone know of a guide book or website which has information on dirt roads which are worth riding? I'm looking for routes combining paved roads, dirt roads, and perhaps trails suitable for a cross bike. For example, riding from Arvada up 72 to Gross Dam near Walker Ranch.

Ridesyeti

mtbr member
    Lots of dirt road up here around fort collins. We hit them on the sonday Reo rides some times. Probly best to just get out and try some.

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Boulder has bunches you can link up with the reservoir; get a Boulder Co. Latitude 40 map for reference.

PeT
    Occasionally engagedů
    [QUOTE=ridesyetiI'm looking for routes combining paved roads, dirt roads, and perhaps trails suitable for a cross bike.[/QUOTE]As was said, there are some ripping good rides out of Fort Collins, particularly in the Roosevelt National Forest out of Red Feather Lakes. Quite frankly, linking up a large loop on those roads, right out the door, is my favorite riding. SInce they typically roll out at over 100 miles, I'm only fit enough and have enough time to pull it off only once or twice a summer. I figure some year I'll die out there on one of those rides, but there aren't too many ways I'd rather go...
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

Stiff yet compliant
    Switzerland trail, Gold Hill, Salina, Fourmile canyon and the surrounding area has a lot of that sort of riding.

mtbr member
    rampart range road from colorado spring to woodland park is a good climb!
    i also like old gold camp past where its closed to old stage.

skillz to pay billz
    flagstaff-68j-magnolia-westmag-peak2peak-swizerland

mtbr member
    Short but severe lung busters:

Powerline at Bobcat Ridge
    Towers Road in Horsetooth Mountain Park

Long and nice (hours of fun):

Old Flowers Road (close to Fort Collins)
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    Look into 4WD roads!

I enjoyed China Wall in Lake George! (You can go around the obstacles)
    China Wall (Lake George,CO)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Morrison up to Kittridge (I think that is the first town) turn right on Grapevine (dirt) over to Lookout Mountain loop around and repeat. Not a lot of dirt but enough and on heck of a day of climbing.
    Blogging about nothing since 2005
    http://devinrides.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    Old Flowers Road (close to Fort Collins)
    My first thought right after Hall's Ranch.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

old skool newbie
    try some roads around Idaho Sprongs and Central City

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    This is great info. If there's more keep em coming. There are some great options out here in the Front Range.

Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    flagstaff-68j-magnolia-westmag-peak2peak-swizerland
    I picked up a Boulder County Latitude 40 map. I'm not finding mongolia or 68j. Roughly were should I be looking?

Thanks,
    Ridesyeti

skillz to pay billz
    magnolia rd is on there. look just east of nederland. runs norrtheast to boulder canyon. 68j runs over to walker ranch north of gross res.

!Vamos, flaco!
    It depends on what you're looking for. There are near endless dirt roads on the eastern plains that I really enjoy. As you move out of the river valleys, which are flat and irrigated, you get into sand hills and rolling terrain. There are lots of good ones east of Parker and north of Elizabeth for example, although there are good ones most anywhere outside of the metro area. The farther from big rivers and towns, the "better" the roads will be for what it sounds like you want. A cross bike would be ideal, although I normally use my road bike with 25s or 28s. I use a Gazeteer.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Big Boned
    Virginia Canyon Road, AKA Oh My God Road, up from Idaho Springs towards Central City. Great long grind, super fun downhill. For a steeper option, take the Two Brothers cutoff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    These are some sweet sounding options I'll definitely start exploring.

Ridesyeti

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Alternate

Quote Originally Posted by ridesyeti
    Does anyone know of a guide book or website which has information on dirt roads which are worth riding? I'm looking for routes combining paved roads, dirt roads, and perhaps trails suitable for a cross bike. For example, riding from Arvada up 72 to Gross Dam near Walker Ranch.

Ridesyeti
    Instead of turning north and going to Gross, just before Crescent Park Drive, turn south on Twin Spruce/Gap Road. It is an absolutely killer paved climb for about four miles before turning to dirt in Golden Gate State Park. It is dirt for about three miles to Mountain Base Road, which you can use to hook up with Golden Gate Canyon road to return to Arvada. Or, you can continue to Hwy 119, and turn right to hook up with Hwy 72 to return to Arvada, or Magnolia Road(dirt) to go down to Boulder.

Gap/Twin Spruce is the steepest climb you've never heard of. There are sections of 15%.