The OMEN

Dirt Jumper help...

With all the new bike parks opening along the front range ( golden, valmont,etc) I have the itch to build up a DJ bike. Something I can start kinda small with but will take a good beating as I progress.
    What are you guys riding? What kinda builds and what kinda coin did you drop?

TO be honest the Yeti DJ has caught my eye but I'm kinda a nub with reference to frames.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I built up an Evil DOC for DJ's, pump track & skate park riding. Fun bike, plus it is a fun beer runner if I attach a trailer

I bought the frame & fork last year for pretty cheap, had all the other parts laying around. I've seen some wicked deals on used rigs out there as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dirt Jumper help...-p4250102.jpg  

Kaj
    mtbr member
    The Kona Shonky has been the hot seller for us. I bought up a bunch of their 2010's and am selling completes for $900. It's a steel single speed which is what all the cool kids are riding

With Valmont bike park opening up, I've been stocking up on DJ's and knee pads. It's going to be fun.

I also brought in a few Kona Cowan's which are aluminum and some Shreds which have gears. Kona's a tough to beat for fun factor, toughness and a good price.

some photos for your viewing pleasure. A Shonky ($900 for 2010, $1100 for 2011), then a Cowan($1220), then a Shred($900).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dirt Jumper help...-shonky.jpg  

Dirt Jumper help...-cowan.jpg  

Dirt Jumper help...-shred.jpg  

Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member

Two of us are on these

http://www.santacruzmtb.com/jackal/

$1399 complete. If you wanna try one, we'll meet you at GBP.
    Scott T.
    Salvagetti Bicycle Workshop in Denver
    MOUNTAIN / COMMUTE / TOUR
    http://www.salvagetti.com

imaorobbie
    Don't rule out the likes of: DMR, Black Market, NS, or Eastern; to name a few.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    The Fixx in Boulder carries Black Market, those are cool bikes. We did some DMR's, but couldn't get the complete bikes competitively priced with the Kona's. Good bikes though. Don't know who is doing Eastern. Giant has a sweet one if you are willing to go with the premium one. The STP is bada*** but a bit pricey at $1400, although if you check out some Jeff Lenosky video's on youtube, you can see the bike can take and do alot.

check out this sweet vid of Jeff's backyard--not Jeff riding, but frickin cool.

imaorobbie
    I'd really like to ride something like Black Mrkt's Killswitch, Transition's Double, or the KonaBass.

Slopestyle Rider
    Transition TOP's, Spank Tweet Tweet (what I'm riding), Black Market MOB... I'd take any of those over the Yeti DJ at $650. Plus if you want it to be a true DJ bike, gears are not necessary at all. Single speed is where it's at with micro-drive and bmx cranks. The Yeti has vertical dropouts which make single-speeding it a pain. You want a frame with horizontal dropouts IMO. The other thing is steel frames>aluminum in a lot of peoples book for the stiffness, which is a good thing to have on a bike you are gonna be ejecting from quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I bought a Haro 8 about 4 months ago, and love it! That thing is wicked flickable, and I've almost hurt myself several times. Fun, fun times!

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Hey joelalamo45,

You're saying steel is better in in your opinion right? It's cool to see steel back on top. In the early nineties when I learned most of my DJ in Austin, steel was the only way to go. seems like it went away for awhile, though I went away to MTB so I was not in it. Now steel seems back with a vengeance for DJ and street.

I don't eject as much these days due to extended recovery times--but it's good to know a steel frame can take a whole lot of sh*t and keep coming back for more.

Valmont Bike Park, Valmont Bike Park, Valmont Bike Park....repeat

The OMEN
    I use to prefer a steel HT to a Ally one when I was an xc guy.
    Maybe a steel frame is the way to go.
    Must say that the Jackal is a nice looking build for 1400. Can;t really beat the 900 kona. Though I may want to start with some gears. Then again? WHo knows.
    Keep the opinions coming.
    This thread is really helping.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The Haro 8 which I was talking about, is geared. As near as I can tell, Haro doesn't make a geared DJ anymore, so you'd have to look for one of these:

http://www.mtbr.com/TRP_16_383_11crx.aspx

http://****************/mountain-bike...mountain-bike/

Slopestyle Rider
    Just go to the dirt jumps and see how many guys are running gears... few if any. If they are running gears, most likely they are riding their 4X/DS bike. You don't need gears to jump... period. To me, gears are a nuisance (for dj's) and just something else to break while dirt jumping and added weight. Most good dirt jump spots require no more than two or three cranks to clear the biggest sets, so a good SS gear ratio should be fine. 28/12...30/13 something like that and you'll never miss gears.

imaorobbie
    I second the single speed option for DJ or park riding; horizontal drop-outs, and steel frames.

mtbr member
    I've got a Shonky that I built from frame up and LOVE it! I'm doing better at DJing now at 42yr old with messed up ankle than when I was doing BMX 10-15 yrs ago. Still don't care for big gap sets but am loving all the new parks with tables that you can work your way up on.
    Bikes=Sanity