not actually bad :)

Directional biking? IE - Betasso

Rode Betasso today with my son - only my 2nd time there.
    I really like Betasso. I think it is very fun (non technical), and some beautiful areas.
    Curious about other's feeling on this:
    Bikes - forced to go one way (alternating days, I believe - but bikes - one way only). Runners and hikers can apparently go either way - whenever they want. Seemed odd to me, as it seemed most runners/hikers were going opposite way as bikers? Would it not make more sense for EVERYONE to go one way?
    I have hiked plenty in my day, and was just thinking that as a hiker/runner, it would actually make more sense to go the SAME way as the riders, and just be aware especially at a place like Betasso, with lots of blind corners, not long site lines?
    What say the masses?

As a side note - 2 of my favorites were:
    1) The hard body female runner, going the opposite way as riders, basically not slowing, stopping, smiling, saying thanks - nothing - just demanding her right of way. The 1st time we came upon her, it was not an easy place to slow or stop, but she didn't help - just kept on coming. Keep in mind I was riding with my 16 year old not too experienced son, so not going fast at all.
    And 2) the male/female running team. We stopped for hikers coming at us. The male/female team were running same direction as us, and behind us as we stopped for hikers, right as the 3 groups all converged. They went ahead and ran past us as we waited for the hikers to pass, then seemed perplexed that we wanted to get by seconds later, on the down hill section of trail.
    This was all cordial, but just...odd.

Just observing, and curious to others feelings on all this?

Great day to be out, and love sunny fall days in CO!!!!!
    Old Codger

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    The masses say get off my lawn.

Trips for Kids Denver
    I think directional use and alternating use days can be useful at certain places. I believe Betasso runs one direction 30 days at a time. Most people are friendly and act normally but I've had some strange interactions in and around Boulder that's for sure

Definitely feel picked on at Devil's Back one where a sign instructs bikers to take a bypass route but hikers and horses go any where they want.
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Directional biking? IE - Betasso

As someone that hikes (with dogs) and bikes a lot, I'd rather go opposite bike traffic. I would prefer to see bikers coming instead of having them sneak up behind me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I too would rather see the riders coming at me. I don't like to be blindsided. plus you do get a few that do not announce their presence.

-Dave

mtbr member
    I would rather go opposite as well. That way you don't have to get hikers attention, and end up scaring them. Have them move left when you say on your left etc.

mtbr member
    I think opposite flow is best for pedestrians against bikers: more visible and no leap-frogging.

Can you imagine the whinging that would erupt if peds were forced to go one direction?

I think Betasso is a great place to practice your "Howdy" and self-deprecating Fruita stops for all peds and most bikers on the two-way section (except for that one a$$hole who clearly rode down on me, that fuh-qer got my widened elbows and an awkward dismount).
    ...and the Nun said, "Five bucks, same as in town."

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You get past runners real fast when they're coming at you. When you're behind one and you're both going the same direction, the "militant" ones just won't let you pass.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Many hikers won't do a whole loop, so you can't force them to be directional. In any case, add me to the chorus of those who -- both as a hiker and biker -- prefer the hiking to be in the opposite direction as the biking.

As for the running group, they don't want to stop for anything, even if that means you will pass them 30 seconds later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Okay, so I am late to the party here, but I will weigh in anyway. As you know I am almost exclusively a trail-runner and hiker. I was at Betasso the day before you were there - in fact I chose to go on Saturday because I knew there would be no bikers and therefore not have to worry about this exact scenario. In fact there was only one other runner or hiker -Score!

Like most others who replied, I prefer to run in the opposite direction to the bikers when possible, partly because of the sight-line effect, but in addition to that the auditory element. It is surprisingly difficult to hear bikers coming up from behind, and quite often they do not give a verbal warning of any sort until the very last moment.

Bhagwan may be a little generous with his stereotypes by stating that “Many hikers don’t do a whole loop” and “As for the running group, they don't want to stop for anything, even if that means you will pass them 30 seconds later.” Both of those loops add up only to 7 or so miles, and the vert is very little – I would guess most peds complete one loop if not both, like we did.

Maybe I am in the minority but I definitely consider the leap-frog effect when I pass a group of bikers going the same way and try to avoid that when possible. Running the opposite direction to the bike crowd helps.

Tomorrow I plan to run up Nighthawk and down Bitterbrush out at Hall Ranch – again exactly because of this issue. First time since the closures – very excited!

Based on this thread I have posted a related thread. Would appreciate your input.

oot & aboot in Colorado
    Aug 2010
    We rode Betasso (Canyon Loop, Link Trail, Benjamin Loop) on Tuesday and had a blast!
    It is clockwise for November (I like it a bit better that way) and switches each month.

With the floods having so many trails closed, I've been avoiding it on Sundays (it is closed to bikes on Wed & Sat).
    I personally always make an effort to get out of the way and express thanks when people yield to me. I have found (more than average) right of way "expectant attitudes" when riding Betasso.

Arseholes are arseholes. If they can't be polite with a person they are going to interact with for 10 seconds.. that's their issue, not mine. I don't sweat it and look forward to smiling and interacting with the next person I come across.

I've made quite a few friends from passing trail interactions that have grown into conversations and then friendships.

kgm
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    that "hardbody female runner" probably works her ass off, and cycling is an inherently easy sport. get over it. i bet your son didn't mind taking an extra 3 seconds to pass a physically fit woman, either.

BLKSS29RGD
    It was explained to me a while back that marking trails one way creates liability and a need for enforcement to offset the liability.

Tain't gonna happen.

gotta get up to get down
    cycling is an inherently easy sport?

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trialsguy315 View Post
    It was explained to me a while back that marking trails one way creates liability and a need for enforcement to offset the liability.

Tain't gonna happen.
    Most trails are marked more than one way.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by kgm View Post
    that "hardbody female runner" probably works her ass off, and cycling is an inherently easy sport. get over it. i bet your son didn't mind taking an extra 3 seconds to pass a physically fit woman, either.
    So because maybe she works her ass off, she gets to be a btch about passing?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    What a dork...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Do you even own a bike? This is a mountain bike forum, mountain biking is hard tard.