yaha ha

DH/FR Boulder scene

First of all, is Boulder front range? California native here..
    I just finished my application for UC Boulder and was wondering what kind of riding you have close by....??
    how far is keystone, winterpark and whatever else there is over there?
    is it dusty and dry all year? doesnt look like theres much rain

feel the Force
    Apex?

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by snowforner15
    First of all, is Boulder front range? California native here..
    I just finished my application for UC Boulder and was wondering what kind of riding you have close by....??
    how far is keystone, winterpark and whatever else there is over there?
    is it dusty and dry all year? doesnt look like theres much rain
    front range - yes
    UC Boulder - ahahaa, CU
    keystone, winterpark and whatever else there is over there - 1.5 hours, 1.5 hours, various
    is it dusty and dry all year? - rains some in the summer mostly in the afternoon, snows some in the winter

yaha ha
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbjedi1
    Apex?
    A what?

eci
    get used to djing its the closest thing to dh for most of the winter. Throw down some shovel time and maybe someone will show you the local spots.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbjedi1
    Apex?
    Last week just once, I ran over a gentle old lady and her cute dog...

Its this cool trail that's really busy and everyone complains about who can/should use it. Hikers, horses, XC, DH, etc

yaha ha
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    Last week just once, I ran over a gentle old lady and her cute dog...

Its this cool trail that's really busy and everyone complains about who can/should use it. Hikers, horses, XC, DH, etc
    how far from boulder

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fr

Here on the FR the weather is variable. You can ride year round, but it also snows a lot in the winter and then the trails are closed or not very ridable until it dries out, for the most part. There is very little DH near Boulder, you've got to go to the ski resorts mostly, ( 1.5 -2 hrs away) and they are snowed in much of the year. I guess people shuttle a few trails but DH/FR is very controversial since we have hikers, horses, runners, etc all using a limited amount of trails. There are plenty of trails near Boulder, but the riding in Boulder and on the bike from Boulder are XC type trails. To get to more technical trails requires driving a car, or taking the bus to Nederland. Ned will be snowed in for the winter. You could ride a cross bike on the trails in town. There are way more road riders in Boulder than MTBers. It is not like S. CA here, it gets cold and snows a lot. Do you ski?

Goofing off?
    I used to live in San Diego. I can tell you that there is much more and better riding here. There are actual legal dirt jumping spots. Keystone has killer FR stuff.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by snowforner15
    how far from boulder
    20 minutes, its near Golden.

mtbr member
    snowskilz nailed it. There is a pretty active FR/DH community. Two things are important to know about it. 1) Due to access issues there are close to no DH trails directly in town. Actually non in any town of the Front Range. So you need a car, or friends with a car. 2) You need to make friends within the community. Your new friends will show you trails and take you to the playgrounds. Best way to find the friends is follow the posts on MTBR and PM folks. Offers to help building or maintain trails are very welcome.