Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

New question here. DH/FR biker looking to relocate. Need some advice.

Hello, there! My name is Peyton, and I currently live in East Texas.

East Texas? Right... It's not known for much, and definitely not for mountain biking.

Over the past few years, mountain biking (specifically downhill and freeride) has become my passionate hobby. I have a Bachelor's degree, work a mundane job unrelated to my degree, and I'm tired of the Texas heat and terrain. I'd love to move to Colorado or New Mexico and live in or very close to mountain towns where I could ride multiple times a week, or at least every weekend, and a place where my future wife could focus on her photography (sports, action, people, & such).

Beside mountain biking, my main passion, life's endeavor, and educational background is Christian youth ministry.

If you know of any opportunities regarding this type of work/ministry in an area where dh/fr biking is available, would you please reply or private message the information to me? I'd be incredibly grateful.

This is an odd post, I know, but thanks for reading. You may not agree with the type of work I would like to do or my beliefs, but hopefully you can respect my love to ride.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    How'd you get such a bug up your butt for downhill in East Texas? Is it something you've wanted to do but haven't yet and figure The Front Range is the place?

As far as your religious beliefs, I never read anything on this forum in regards to that so good luck finding out what you're looking for here.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    I've always been into freestyle bmx, but I bought a mountain bike a few years ago and it changed my life. I love all types of riding, but I most enjoy high speed descents with jumps and drops and room for creativity. I have the bug because there are local trails that have given me a taste of it. They are short, but I hike up and ride down dozens of times a day. Also, I highly enjoy snowboarding and am a very capable rider.

Basically, I love the mountains and always feel more "at home" there than I do here. I've thought about it for years, but the pull to a range is becoming stronger daily.

Living the High Life
    I hear California is nice.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Utah.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Colorado Springs is home to 38 national religous organizations (or at least that's the rumor), and we have a church on almost every corner so I can pretty much guarantee that you will find religion here. The riding isn't bad either, but it is an extra hour + to get to the resorts from here vs. living in Denver.

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    Grand Junction.
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

mtbr member
    Can't beat East Texas! Palestine, Carthage, Livingston, Lufkin, Nacadoches, Longview, Woodville, Jasper, etc. I travel to all those crap ass places

No hills, no beer selection, no culture, dry counties, no scenery, bla.

But if you're into religion, you can't beat East Texas!

mtbr member
    In my opinion you will likely have an easier time finding ministry work in a larger area such as the Denver area or Colorado Springs rather then a resort town. I say this because with more people, odds are greater you would find a ministry to your liking. However, and I mean this in a neutral non-confrontational way (I am not looking to start a controversy I think I'm just being realistic), in the Denver area we have some major issues with hikers which flare up when riders focus on descending fast in a free ride fashion in areas where hikers frequent. This also causes a lot of angst amongst various groups within the mountain bike community in Denver. In my opinion, if you are open to governing your speed and aggressiveness when you ride trails frequented by hikers in the Denver area you could enjoy living in the Denver area. In that case I would recommend periodic trips to the resorts for more aggressive riding. However, if you are very adamant about riding aggressively, Denver may not be a satisfying choice for you.

To really give you more useful information, in my opinion, it would help to know more about what type of career you are involved with and at what stage you are in your career.

Bad Andy!
    Yes, as mentioned I think we need more info. - on the riding front and the youth ministry front.

Riding - are you good with mostly xc type riding on crowded trails during the week, and/or bike parks? And then hitting the hills for the DH/FR type stuff on weekends?
    If you are located on the west side of the Denver Metro, the goods in the hills are anwhere from 1/2 hour to 1.5 hours, + away.
    But in most of our opinions, the front range is a great place to live for riding.

Youth ministry - tell us more.
    You may check into:
    Young Life - PM me if you don't know about it - I can put you in contact with a couple people.
    YWAM - They have something in Arvada, and I believe up by Golden Gate State Park.
    Obviously many churches to check if you are talking about being a youth pastor at a church.
    I believe someone on here is involved with a Christian MTB group - maybe he will chime in if he has anything.

mtbr member
    Here's a group of Christian riders in the Front Range area. I have never met any of these folks but they seem like some very good riders. Hat tip to them for consistently putting out great videos.

Denver Front Range Mountain Biking About Denver BOMB Believers On Mountain Bikes

If you watch this video of them riding in the Front Range and think the speed and riding is lame, then the Front Range might not be a good fit for you. On the other hand, if you are stoked, this is a good sampling of what our area has to offer.

2010 0415 BOMB White Ranch on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Utah.
    That was my immediate thought also...biking, religion, ankle-biters...Utard!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Utah...plenty of opportunities to ride your Faith.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Wow, thank you for all of the replies!

Just a little more info- I'm a capable rider of all disciplines, and I respect hikers on shared trails. We enjoy the same place, whether on foot or on wheels. I have the most fun with high speed descents, but greatly value the meditative quality of XC in a beautiful place. Mountain biking is my therapy. I don't have to explain this, as I'm sure you wouldn't be reading this here if it weren't the same for you.
    I have family in CO Springs and now-passed family who were in Denver, and I fell in love with Taylor Valley, Breckenridge, Vail, and Mueller State Park. I also have friends in Longmont...
    I always felt more "at home" in mountains of CO- summer and winter. It's a place that encourages me to wake up earlier, be healthier, enjoy everything outdoors more, and be around more people who share the same passions. I've felt the pull there for a long time.

As far as a career, I graduated with a Bachelor's in Christian Studies- Youth Ministry, and served a few years at a Methodist church before taking the county government position I have now. I attend a church now where I assist in leading worship, teach high school Sunday school, and volunteer with the youth group every week. Above mountain biking, it's what I look forward to every day. Nothing in this world is better than ministering/counseling with students and seeing them overcome all of the terrible stuff our culture is programming them to experience and be.

Again, I appreciate your replies. I'm in this odd place where I'm praying/looking for a place where all of my passions come together. I know I'd be happier and more affective for myself and others as a youth pastor and mountain biker.

I'm just feeling things out and honestly didn't know where to start- other than prayer and by talking to other riders. .It's not like you can search jobs by hobby area lol

Thanks for the group reference and for any other advice that comes this way.

mtbr member
    I'm not going to be the best person for networking with regarding your particular career path. I wonder if reaching out to the folks with Denver Bomb might be fruitful for you. Also, perhaps you can look into The Colorado Christian University.

Colorado Christian University-A Private Christian College in Denver, Colorado

It sounds like you are a bit younger and perhaps close to just out of college. This is good because now is the time for you to set down new roots. I can tell you from my relocation experiences that you may have to be flexible regarding your job situation in order to relocate where you want to be. Its possible that you may need to take a less then ideal job just to get the relocation done and make ends meet. Then once you are where you want to be, start searching, networking, and getting to know local people in conducting a local job search. If you are young, this makes it much more feasible to go through that process before you have kids and such. However, you may need to be flexible and make some sacrifices. Depending how it goes you may need to broaden your options to include other areas than Colorado and focus on whole regions you are interested in.

banned
    Utah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post
    I'm not going to be the best person for networking with regarding your particular career path. I wonder if reaching out to the folks with Denver Bomb might be fruitful for you. Also, perhaps you can look into The Colorado Christian University.

Colorado Christian University-A Private Christian College in Denver, Colorado

It sounds like you are a bit younger and perhaps close to just out of college. This is good because now is the time for you to set down new roots. I can tell you from my relocation experiences that you may have to be flexible regarding your job situation in order to relocate where you want to be. Its possible that you may need to take a less then ideal job just to get the relocation done and make ends meet. Then once you are where you want to be, start searching, networking, and getting to know local people in conducting a local job search. If you are young, this makes it much more feasible to go through that process before you have kids and such. However, you may need to be flexible and make some sacrifices. Depending how it goes you may need to broaden your options to include other areas than Colorado and focus on whole regions you are interested in.

Great advice. Yeah, I'm almost 26 and now is definitely the time to do it. The young woman I'll be marrying is, of all things, a photography student and has a knack for action/sports photography (biking, football, kayaking, etc.)- stuff outside of the studio. My dream is for us to be in a place where I can minister and be around people of the same passion (BOMB is great!) and where she will have a wealth of subjects and opportunities.

Again and again, I'm seriously grateful for the advice as we try to figure this whole thing out.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    Utah
    Yeah, lots of "heathen" mormans to convert there! Assuming you aren't a morman coming from east texas.

mtbr member
    Just a warning: We have no crawfish or cajun food here. And most of the seafood isn't even fried.

mtbr member
    Oh, I'm very much aware of this! That would be a great excuse to visit home Crawfish ettoufee is my favorite dish, after all.

lol Funny that you would think of that

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If you're into meth, extra-marital gay sex, and DH, Colorado Springs and the New Life Church is the place for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeytonP View Post
    Oh, I'm very much aware of this! That would be a great excuse to visit home Crawfish ettoufee is my favorite dish, after all.

lol Funny that you would think of that
    That cajun food and seafood is about all I look forward to when I head down to East Texas.

But we do have Pappadeaux's in Denver.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggs View Post
    If you're into meth, extra-marital gay sex, and DH, Colorado Springs and the New Life Church is the place for you.
    As crazy as it might seem, I'd love to have that explained in a bit more detail

mtbr member
    Hmmm, I don't know, but am guessing youth ministry work doesn't pay a lot ?? (honest question, I don't know). The thing is, Colorado and particularly resort towns are very expensive precisely because so many people want to live here for the same reasons. There are jobs that need doing (ex: janitorial, etc.) and jobs that people want to do (ex: photographer) and I have seen that many times, particularly in resort towns, there is not a lot of intersection in those two areas. Its just a very competitive world is all Im saying. I lived in a semi-resort town for 9 years and worked at a hotel to support myself. We had people new to town apply for front desk jobs who had PHDs and people who had formerly owned their own businesses. Once coming out and hanging on economically for a few years many people would give up and go back home. It may be possible that you may be more at home in east Texas than you believe right now. Recreational opportunities, in themselves, do not make a place home.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast