mtbr member
    May 2006

Devil's Backbone Trail Closures to Mountain Bikes

Everyone, do your part and email/call the officials about this. Its ridiculous.

Please do you part and email the county about this. I have sent this email to the county via this form http://www.co.larimer.co.us/common/m...to=gbuffington :

I am writing to let you know of my displeasure with the closing of the west side loops of Devil's Backbone Open Space to Mountain Bikers.

The closed trails were the best portions of the trail system. I do not understand why Larimer County feels the need to reduce the trails available to bikers when there has never been a problem between hikers and bikers sharing trails.

When will bikers get trails soley for their use? We pay taxes just like hikers do.

An Avid Mountain Biker,
    FSRFTC

mtbr member

New question here. evidence?

can you post a URL where the closure is disclosed and i'll forward to the policy folks at COMBA to take a look...

fwiw, after a quick look around the larimer website i found this:
    "A management plan for Devil's Backbone Open Space has been in place since 1999. It was updated, with an extensive public process in 2004. The plan accommodates multiple-use recreation such as hiking, mountain biking, and horseback riding on the 7-mile trail system."
    details please.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Time is not a road.
    Done...

This trail just isn't the same.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    can you post a URL where the closure is disclosed and i'll forward to the policy folks at COMBA to take a look...

fwiw, after a quick look around the larimer website i found this:

details please.
    Website? It says it on the trail junctions, I don't know if they updated their website yet, they are slow about that.

Time is not a road.
    The closures were implemented on 6/10/06 when Blue Sky trail and Indian Creek trails were opened.

There is info here:

http://www.co.larimer.co.us/parks/op...s/dbb_plan.pdf

"Once trails onto the Indian Creek property are complete, post that mountain bikes use only the east portion of the northern two loops (Wild and Hunter trails)"

This was written into the plan in 2004.

BTW, FWIW, there will be a meeting tomorrow night in Loveland and again Wed in FTC regarding the Reservoir Area (think "Horsetooth") Management plans:

Public Workshops - Issue Identification

July 11, 2006, 5-7 PM
    Mountain View High School
    3500 Mountain Lion Drive
    Loveland, CO

July 12, 2006, 5-7 PM
    Fort Collins Senior Center
    1200 Raintree Drive
    Fort Collins

For more information, please visit http://www.co.larimer.co.us/parks/masterplan/
    Last edited by chad1433; 07-10-2006 at 01:20 PM.

slow
    "Resource Management and Implementation Plan for the
    Devil’s Backbone Open Space 2004" as posted at http://www.larimer.org/parks/openlands/dbb_plan.pdf

The below takes effect once the Indian Creek Property is open (i.e. completion of Blue Sky Trail)

"Existing signs promote sharing the trail and a separation of uses on the “Backbone Trail” are already in place allowing only hikers on the westernmost trail segment. The two northern existing loops of the Devil’s Backbone trail system, the “Wild Loop” and the
    “Hunter Loop” trails, will also be designated so that the westernmost segments of both these
    loops will be closed to mountain bikes. Mountain bikes will be restricted to the easternmost
    portion of these loops in part due to cyclists using these loops for speed as well as multi-use
    congestion. The use patterns will continually be monitored at the Devil’s Backbone Open Space to determine if changes are needed in the future."

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    "Resource Management and Implementation Plan for the
    Devil’s Backbone Open Space 2004" as posted at http://www.larimer.org/parks/openlands/dbb_plan.pdf

The below takes effect once the Indian Creek Property is open (i.e. completion of Blue Sky Trail)

"Existing signs promote sharing the trail and a separation of uses on the “Backbone Trail” are already in place allowing only hikers on the westernmost trail segment. The two northern existing loops of the Devil’s Backbone trail system, the “Wild Loop” and the
    “Hunter Loop” trails, will also be designated so that the westernmost segments of both these
    loops will be closed to mountain bikes. Mountain bikes will be restricted to the easternmost
    portion of these loops in part due to cyclists using these loops for speed as well as multi-use
    congestion. The use patterns will continually be monitored at the Devil’s Backbone Open Space to determine if changes are needed in the future."

Congestion? I think I've only ever seen 1 or 2 hikers on Hunters loop, EVER!!!!!!

pin 'er up
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrftc
    Congestion? I think I've only ever seen 1 or 2 hikers on Hunters loop, EVER!!!!!!
    Same here, this is cr@p!!
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Just got done talkin' to the folks at the County. Sounds like the new trail closed to bikes signs are being damaged to the point of replacement. That doesn't help the case to reopen the sections.

They are also catching people riding bikes on the closed sections.

Advocacy begins with you.

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Public Workshops - Issue Identification

July 11, 2006, 5-7 PM
    Mountain View High School
    3500 Mountain Lion Drive
    Loveland, CO

July 12, 2006, 5-7 PM
    Fort Collins Senior Center
    1200 Raintree Drive
    Fort Collins

For more information, please visit http://www.co.larimer.co.us/parks/masterplan/
    Did anyone attend these? Any new or important information to share?
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jl
    Did anyone attend these? Any new or important information to share?
    I did. Nothing new. Nothing major.

But see my post below if you want the loops at DB open again.

Time is not a road.
    I have to relay this story to everyone who is concerned about the trail closures and possible re-opening of trails at Devil's Backbone.

I was riding on Sat, about 9:30am or so. At the top of the last closure, I met up with Travis Rollins, the Ranger Supervisor. We chated for about 1/2 hour regarding the closure and I asked him what criteria they would be using to consider re-opening the trails. He noted how he'd seen at least 8 riders on the closed loops last weekend and spotted one off in the distance while we were chatting.

We waited for the rider to approach and he rode right between us (we were on opposite sides of the trail), not stopping. Travis (in uniform, BTW) asked him if knew that that trail was closed to bikes, to which he replied "no, how long has that been in effect?". Travis asked him to come back, but he stated that he wouldn't and as he continued riding he said that the closure was "****ing stupid, like George Bush" and kept on going.

All this while I'm trying to figure out what it will take for us to get back on those trails legally. I was quite astounded and apologetic. I wasn't able to reach the rider in the lot or elsewhere on the trail. I think the whole issue could have been diffused but it just puts a bitter taste in the mouth of the County reps who will decide what to do out there, or at the very least report on the behavior they see. I'd like to point out, too, that this rider was not some young hucker with a bad case of teen angst. He seemed mature and articulate.

I suppose we as bikers have a choice to make: We can either play the game, attend the meetings, do the maint., build the relationships or we can impart a standard of unrest whereby we'll do what we want and possibly face the consequences collectively. I don't see that we'll be able to do both. Either way, united we stand, divided we fall...

Personally, I think we'd all lose if we choose to defy the County continually. They'd just as soon ban bikes permanently, I suspect.

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    I Travis asked him to come back, but he stated that he wouldn't and as he continued riding he said that the closure was "****ing stupid, like George Bush" and kept on going..
    Nice respone, regardless of his politics, behavior like that will make keeping trails open a challenge. I would guess that his behavior and response would proabably have larger impact than your stopping and asking inteliigent questions.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."