Now older but less slow!

Devil's Backbone - recommendations?

Hi all.

I'm looking to ride the Devil's Backbone in Loveland on Sunday morning. This will be my first time there. Is there a preferred way to ride it for the best experience?

Thx.

mtbr member
    You really don't have much choice until you get back to Laughing Horse Loop as the loops closer to the parking lot are only partially open to bikes, just stay on the main trail. Laughing Horse is much more technical on the lower (eastern side of the loop), I prefer to ride it clockwise and take the ridge top (west side) heading north, then get on Blue Sky going further north. From there you can ride a loop on Indian Summer, again clockwise being my preference. From there head back or continue north on Blue Sky and link up with Rimrock or keep heading north to Blue Sky lot and beyond into HTMP if you are looking for bigger miles. Wherever you turn around you'll eventually get back to the north junction of Laughing Horse, if you like techy stuff go left, if not go right and climb back up to the top of the ridge and back out that way, it's only about 1/2 mile either way then they meet back up and then take it all the way back to the trailhead.

Now older but less slow!

Thanks. I'll check the map but this is useful info.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Just rode this today into HT, amazing day for February. We need snow though, it's GD dry.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree with Doc Wankel. Christopher Columbus couldn't get lost on DBB.

Now older but less slow!

Well I rode it. Parts were a lot tougher than I thought it would be but they were fun nonetheless. Total for the ride was 20.5 miles and 3000ft of climbing. Somehow I had it in my head that the climbing would only be half of that. I must be going senile.

Down by the DBB trail head when I went back to the car it was insanely busy with hikers and dog walkers. It's not a trail I would choose to do again on a weekend.

I can imagine that starting at Coyote Ridge then heading south to the loops than north and back on BlueSky would be a better ride in the future.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post

I can imagine that starting at Coyote Ridge then heading south to the loops than north and back on BlueSky would be a better ride in the future.
    I rode it this way a ton while working in Loveland and thought it a way better option. Ride out to an Indian Summer loop, then north towards Horsetooth.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

slow
    I rode it that way today and the section of Coyote Ridge from the parking lot to the top of the stairs was really crowded with hikers and runners.

Now older but less slow!

^^^

slow
    ^^^
    This is probably still the preferred way to get into the trail network on busy days. Fortunately when you enter the area from Coyote Ridge, the first couple of mile is where you meet the majority of the traffic and it is mostly double track trail or dirt road, so passing is easy. Most hikers don't go past the benches on top of the ridge at mile 2, or the stairs just .25 mile beyond there. Also, dogs are not allowed at Coyote Ridge and Rimrock, so you don't have to worry about a leash across the trail.

Since this area is one of the first to dry out, everyone converges on this trail network when you get warmer winter weekend days. As more trails dry out, the crowds disperse.

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Since this area is one of the first to dry out, everyone converges on this trail network when you get warmer winter weekend days. As more trails dry out, the crowds disperse.
    Yep, it was dusty out there where it wasn't in shade. The only mud I hit was at the very end of Bluesky in FC. Pretty amazing for the start fo Feb.
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 02-08-2013 at 04:24 PM.