Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,517

    Devil's Backbone Advocacy Meeting

    I want to thank everyone who attended the meeting at McGraff's the other night. I think it's a great start and we're definitely headed in the right direction.
    Special thanks to Josh from IMBA for coming up from the Springs and LeeMan who is contributing a lot of experience & expertise.

    I'll be sending all who attended an email shortly recapping the things we discussed & soliciting opinions on some of the outstanding issues.

    Please post here or drop me a PM if you were unable to attend the meeting but are interested in participating.
    Life....the original terminal illness

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Medwheeljo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8

    Good job! Great meeting

    I am encouraged by not only the high level of energy and diversity within the group, but also the level headed approach you have chosen to take. Please let me know if there is anything I can help with in the future. josh

    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    I want to thank everyone who attended the meeting at McGraff's the other night. I think it's a great start and we're definitely headed in the right direction.
    Special thanks to Josh from IMBA for coming up from the Springs and LeeMan who is contributing a lot of experience & expertise.

    I'll be sending all who attended an email shortly recapping the things we discussed & soliciting opinions on some of the outstanding issues.

    Please post here or drop me a PM if you were unable to attend the meeting but are interested in participating.

  3. #3
    Feeding your addiction
    Reputation: Ventanarama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    2,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwheeljo
    I am encouraged by not only the high level of energy and diversity within the group, but also the level headed approach you have chosen to take. Please let me know if there is anything I can help with in the future. josh
    Hi Josh.
    I know it was a long drive for you to come clear up here, I want you to know how much we appreciate you making the trip. It was a big help having someone with a lot of experience in these issues to give us some input. I'm sure we'll be in contact a frequently for your advice and to let you know how things are going.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

  4. #4
    Time is not a road.
    Reputation: chad1433's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,136
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    I want to thank everyone who attended the meeting at McGraff's the other night. I think it's a great start and we're definitely headed in the right direction.
    Special thanks to Josh from IMBA for coming up from the Springs and LeeMan who is contributing a lot of experience & expertise.

    I'll be sending all who attended an email shortly recapping the things we discussed & soliciting opinions on some of the outstanding issues.

    Please post here or drop me a PM if you were unable to attend the meeting but are interested in participating.
    All,

    Good news about maintenance days in Larimer County Open Spaces. I was at the trail on Thursday with Brian and we met Travis (current head Ranger at the Backbone space) and his replacement, Amanda, and talked to them a little about the upcoming maint. day. The date set for the 23rd was set up by a local Equestrian group for themselves with the blessing of the Open Space managers, but is not necessarily sponsored by the Open Space, per se. What that means for us, as a bicycle advocacy group is that we can establish our own maint. day AT ANY TIME. Travis noted that all we need is for some of our members to declare that we'd like to volunteer for a specific date and we can either get the support of the Trail Care Crew, or once we've gone through some training with them, support ourselves. I will talk to Elaine at the Open Space office to inquire about their training on trail building and maint. I'm sure there will be more than a few interested in that, but all we need is one or two people. It's a great opportunity for us to become self sufficient and help influence the upkeep of the trails on a regular basis.

    That being said, there is still a maint. day on the 23rd that's avail. for us to attend. Some of the group had asked about another date and I see that that is a future possibility. But with the impending cold and daylight restrictions approaching, our dates might be limited.

    So far I know of four members able to attend the trail care day, Bill Jenkins, Kevin, James and our friend from Ohio (sorry, I don't remember his name). I'll be calling Elaine on Wed with these names so that there will be tools for them on Sat.

  5. #5
    single track ****
    Reputation: front range migz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    624

    I'll help this Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    All,

    Good news about maintenance days in Larimer County Open Spaces. I was at the trail on Thursday with Brian and we met Travis (current head Ranger at the Backbone space) and his replacement, Amanda, and talked to them a little about the upcoming maint. day. The date set for the 23rd was set up by a local Equestrian group for themselves with the blessing of the Open Space managers, but is not necessarily sponsored by the Open Space, per se. What that means for us, as a bicycle advocacy group is that we can establish our own maint. day AT ANY TIME. Travis noted that all we need is for some of our members to declare that we'd like to volunteer for a specific date and we can either get the support of the Trail Care Crew, or once we've gone through some training with them, support ourselves. I will talk to Elaine at the Open Space office to inquire about their training on trail building and maint. I'm sure there will be more than a few interested in that, but all we need is one or two people. It's a great opportunity for us to become self sufficient and help influence the upkeep of the trails on a regular basis.

    That being said, there is still a maint. day on the 23rd that's avail. for us to attend. Some of the group had asked about another date and I see that that is a future possibility. But with the impending cold and daylight restrictions approaching, our dates might be limited.

    So far I know of four members able to attend the trail care day, Bill Jenkins, Kevin, James and our friend from Ohio (sorry, I don't remember his name). I'll be calling Elaine on Wed with these names so that there will be tools for them on Sat.

    I can't make wed night meetings , but I can help on weekends. Lou said he's going to join me this for Saturdays trail work.

  6. #6
    Time is not a road.
    Reputation: chad1433's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,136
    Quote Originally Posted by front range migz
    I can't make wed night meetings , but I can help on weekends. Lou said he's going to join me this for Saturdays trail work.
    Great! That makes six so far then.

  7. #7
    Obviously Single
    Reputation: LeeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,129

    other ways to get trained ...

    Chad:

    In addition to getting trained to work on trails by the county, there are other ways I can think of we could get trained:

    1. Get trained by VOC (volunteers for outdoor Colorado) -- these guys really know there stuff

    2. Buy the IMBA trail -work book (it's fairly inexpensive) and study it

    3. Invite some trained crew leaders (e.g. from BOA, Diamond Peaks)

    Of course getting trained with the county if fine, too, but it may take a while.
    The Lee-Man

    A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Medwheeljo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8

    Idea! Trail building and maint

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan
    Chad:

    In addition to getting trained to work on trails by the county, there are other ways I can think of we could get trained:

    1. Get trained by VOC (volunteers for outdoor Colorado) -- these guys really know there stuff

    2. Buy the IMBA trail -work book (it's fairly inexpensive) and study it

    3. Invite some trained crew leaders (e.g. from BOA, Diamond Peaks)

    Of course getting trained with the county if fine, too, but it may take a while.
    A call into the IMBA office at 303-545-9011 or email Aaryn Kay, Subaru/IMBA Trail Care Crew coordinator aaryn@imba.com can't hurt either.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    158
    You could also contact some local mountain biking crew leaders, like myself.

    What time are you guys meeting on Saturday? Will LCHA be there also? They sneak through most of the rules estabilished by LCPOL because they have been working with the County for a very long time. One could argue about the quality of work that they do though.

    I think the effort that you are putting into this is great. It is a shame that you didn't invite DPMBP to your meeting on the 13th. It is an even bigger bummer that Josh did not invite them.

    I think it is essential to look at the bigger picture when it comes to this 1.5 miles on the loops. I will post about that on another post (so I don't hijack this one).

    Greg Mazu
    Trails Supervisor, Lory State Park
    Trailwork Coordinator, Diamond Peaks Mountain Bike Patrol
    Devil's Backbone Master Plan, Technical Advisory Committee Member

  10. #10
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,517
    Greg,

    Thanks for your interest & reply. With the exception of Josh, who came specifically at my request, nobody was invited. Our local group has just begun to form and all who attended found out about the meeting through this forum. We certainly did not set out to exclude anyone and we admittedly did not make any effort to invite DP, Larimer Open Space or the local cycleries. There will be time for that in the future.

    I, as well as several others, attended the final Open Space meeting. Additionally, several of us have had private conversations with Meegan from Open Space as well as Travis, the head ranger. We discussed the master plan with the dozen people who attended last week but certainly would appreciate any additional insights that you might like to share. I'll email you our membership list tomorrow from work. I'm sure the group would love to hear from you.
    The impetus to form the group has several originating factors which we can discuss further via the email group.

    Thanks for your interest & assistance.
    Life....the original terminal illness

  11. #11
    Time is not a road.
    Reputation: chad1433's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,136
    Quote Originally Posted by splitter_66
    You could also contact some local mountain biking crew leaders, like myself.

    What time are you guys meeting on Saturday? Will LCHA be there also? They sneak through most of the rules estabilished by LCPOL because they have been working with the County for a very long time. One could argue about the quality of work that they do though.

    I think the effort that you are putting into this is great. It is a shame that you didn't invite DPMBP to your meeting on the 13th. It is an even bigger bummer that Josh did not invite them.

    I think it is essential to look at the bigger picture when it comes to this 1.5 miles on the loops. I will post about that on another post (so I don't hijack this one).

    Greg Mazu
    Trails Supervisor, Lory State Park
    Trailwork Coordinator, Diamond Peaks Mountain Bike Patrol
    Devil's Backbone Master Plan, Technical Advisory Committee Member
    Greg,

    Will anyone from DPMBP be attending the maint. day on Sat?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    158
    Yes. At least two of us will be attending. I know a third that will most likely attend.

    I have already notified Elaine.
    Last edited by splitter_66; 10-20-2004 at 09:40 AM.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    22

    Contact Info

    Quote Originally Posted by splitter_66
    You could also contact some local mountain biking crew leaders, like myself.

    What time are you guys meeting on Saturday? Will LCHA be there also? They sneak through most of the rules estabilished by LCPOL because they have been working with the County for a very long time. One could argue about the quality of work that they do though.

    I think the effort that you are putting into this is great. It is a shame that you didn't invite DPMBP to your meeting on the 13th. It is an even bigger bummer that Josh did not invite them.

    I think it is essential to look at the bigger picture when it comes to this 1.5 miles on the loops. I will post about that on another post (so I don't hijack this one).

    Greg Mazu
    Trails Supervisor, Lory State Park
    Trailwork Coordinator, Diamond Peaks Mountain Bike Patrol
    Devil's Backbone Master Plan, Technical Advisory Committee Member
    Hi Greg,
    FYI - I tired to find your phone number to contact you in order to have a discussion prior to the final planning meeting at the county. I wanted to get your perspective since you were the stated mntbr rep on the counties web site. Couldn't find it thru either directory services or dexonline.com.

    Some of us feel a little burned because there were several ways that these changes could have been communicated to the Devil's Backbone 'regulars' - and were not. Quite simply the rangers could have mentioned this - they did not. We ( the regulars) found out too late in the game to make an impact on the final decision.
    Ski Powder @ da Boat

Similar Threads

  1. Devil's Backbone Meeting: Reminder
    By The Squeaky Wheel in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 11:41 AM
  2. Devil's backbone / open space meeting
    By mtn hack in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 07:15 PM
  3. Devils Backbone - Final Decision Time
    By skipowder in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-23-2004, 07:56 AM
  4. Devil's Backbone - a reply from CO Open Land
    By The Squeaky Wheel in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-14-2004, 09:30 AM
  5. Devil's Backbone Access
    By Elijah in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-31-2004, 05:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •