Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MSH
    mtbr member

Denver's "Ride out the front door" Best Towns to Live

Hi all,

My wife and I are making the trek out to Denver tomorrow evening (11/29) for a "check out Denver" trip. We are seriously considering moving from the SF Bay area to Denver, so we are going to make the 3 day trek to check out places we may want to live. At the top of the list for us to check out are...

Golden,
    Morrison,
    Littleton,
    maybe Highlands Ranch (but we are trying to get away from what is a supposed LA version of Denver...could be wrong on this only what I have read)
    Arvada
    Louisville

Of all the aforemetioned places which city in your opinion is the absolute top of the list as far as quality "out the front door" rides. From what I can tell it has to be Golden and Morrison, but I will defer to the experts on this forum. I appreciate any feedback you could provide.

Thanks,
    MSH

From the provided list, Golden and Morrison are best for accessing trails "out the front door".

You might want to add Evergreen to the list.

Ed

mtbr member

Have lived in both SF and CO...

For diversity and access SF can't hold CO's jock (at least as far as offroad riding). To be fair, the reverse could be said when considering things like food, culture and surfing, but Denver has a pretty happening food scene and its disadvantages in terms of cultural offerings are overblown - how much ballet do you really need? I think these are more than offset when considering how close you are to MTB cultural icons like Durango, Fruita, Moab et cetera. I've lived here for almost 10 years and I still have this pervasive feeling of disbelief that all that stuff (plus the stuff right out the back door!) is really that close.

Back to your question; Golden. Morrison. Evergreen. All good choices with great access. We were living in Edwards (just west of Vail) after 7 years in Breckenridge and considered all those as potential candidates for a move. If you don't mind a short season Summit County is where it's at in terms of incredible quality and volume right out your back door. In Breckenridge we call the 17-dozen hour-long choices available from town "inside-the-park-homeruns". Also just 60 minutes to Denver (and that much closer to Moab and Fruita).

Good luck!

skillz to pay billz
    nederland!!!

bay area transplant here, shhhh!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Actually, I'd recommend Littleton - specifically K/C Valley. Not only do you have Deer Creek and South Valley "out the back door" you have K/C's own private stash of trails. And they're NICE.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Golden

Moderator Moderator
    Golden if you are nailed to Denver metro area.

Check out Loveland/Fort Collins 60 miles north if you are bringing your job(s) with you. Even better.
    Front Range Forum Moderator

Which way? Uphill.
    Golden and Morrison. Golden may have a slight advantage in that it's slightly closer (5 minutes tops, if not equal) to I-70 for skiing and high-country rides, but Morrison tends to have more affordable housing.

I tried to live in Golden, but I got sick of looking at Bi-level houses (my price range was saturated with them) and I got more bang for my buck in Morrison.

Of course I live east of the Hogback in Morrison, not the cool little downtown area. It's the best access from my front door I've ever had for both road and mountain biking.

Some ride times to some local rides from my front door:
    Waterton Canyon/Indian Creek: 45 minutes
    Deer Creek: 35 minutes
    Mt Falcon: 20 minutes
    High Grade (road bike): 25 minutes
    Bear Creek Lake Park: 3 minutes
    Green Mountain: 30 minutes
    Dakota Ridge: 30 minutes
    Apex: 40 minutes
    Chimney Gulch: 50 minutes
    White Ranch: 1 hr 15 minutes
    Lookout Mountain (road bike): 45 minutes

If I lived in Golden/Lakewood (Green Mountain area) I would be closer to Green Mountain and everything below on the list, but the first 3 are 3 of my 4 favorite front range rides (the other being chimney gulch)

If you really enjoy road biking then you can't beat Boulder for the amount of classic climbs/rides there.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by nepbug
    Golden and Morrison. Golden may have a slight advantage in that it's slightly closer (5 minutes tops, if not equal) to I-70 for skiing and high-country rides, but Morrison tends to have more affordable housing.

I tried to live in Golden, but I got sick of looking at Bi-level houses (my price range was saturated with them) and I got more bang for my buck in Morrison.

Of course I live east of the Hogback in Morrison, not the cool little downtown area. It's the best access from my front door I've ever had for both road and mountain biking.

Some ride times to some local rides from my front door:
    Waterton Canyon/Indian Creek: 45 minutes
    Deer Creek: 35 minutes
    Mt Falcon: 20 minutes
    High Grade (road bike): 25 minutes
    Bear Creek Lake Park: 3 minutes
    Green Mountain: 30 minutes
    Dakota Ridge: 30 minutes
    Apex: 40 minutes
    Chimney Gulch: 50 minutes
    White Ranch: 1 hr 15 minutes
    Lookout Mountain (road bike): 45 minutes

If I lived in Golden/Lakewood (Green Mountain area) I would be closer to Green Mountain and everything below on the list, but the first 3 are 3 of my 4 favorite front range rides (the other being chimney gulch)

If you really enjoy road biking then you can't beat Boulder for the amount of classic climbs/rides there.
    What part of Morrison do you live in? I don't consider anything east of the hogback to be "Morrison" technically.

mtbr member

You've done your research well

Golden and Morrison (probably in that order) are indeed the two best out-the-door access points in the Denver metro area. Both have managed to keep some of their small town charm despite being swallowed whole by suburbia.

mtbr member
    i've always wondered for folks who live in/near morrison about the noise from bandimere speedway? when i was a kid, we could hear the bigger events at my parents' house clear out in littleton (unincorporated, kipling/belleview).

P.S. i also thought morrison just went west of the hogback, as bear creek lake park (about as close east as you can get) is city of lakewood.

P.P.S. you should also check out the unincorporated (jeffco) area north of golden (golden mailing address, but outside city limits).

though you can't really go too wrong w/ any on the list... comes down to price and 'hood character (or these days, lack thereof, unfortunately).

skillz to pay billz
    MSH,

How much dough you got to spend?

bbc
    Bueno!
    Lyons! You get to go to Dale's afterwards.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

what kind of rides?

In boulder we have lots and lots of fantastic road riding which is what I mainly do from the front door. I've got a busy family and don't have much time for car transit. However I have some very nice mtb riding from the door too, tho its not technical, very XC or even CX, and you must be able to tolerate pavement.

Rolling
    All I can say is Louisville and littleton are at the bottom of this list, unless you like lots of road riding too!

MSH
    mtbr member
    I appreciate the feedback everyone.We are definitely looking forward to the trip out your way.

Thanks,
    MSH

The Inflexables endorse all those locations. Hard to go wrong with any of 'em.

Go hard or go home
    Durango
    Best coffee ever... www.copperdoorcoffee.com/

skillz to pay billz
    All I can say is Louisville and littleton are at the bottom of this list, unless you like lots of road riding too!

might want to remove arvada off the list while you're at it.

truth be told anywhere on the plains and foothills might have one or two good rides out the door and a little to a long drive to mix it up. If you want quality and quantity out your door. you need to live in the suburban mountains. evergreen, coal creek, up I-70, ned, lyons, maybe morrison...

crips I'm getting buzzed off tripple. nevermind me

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinjin4131
    Durango
    Best answer yet.

Go hard or go home
    No more tripples for nOOby...must -- switch -- to -- McCallans!!

(He has a Yeti on the way, ya know...)
    Best coffee ever... www.copperdoorcoffee.com/

skillz to pay billz
    * hiccup

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I'm in for a 1/2 a sixer of Inversion IPA. Goddam this stuff is good.

mtbr member
    2 Below Ale in a cold glass...

so my brother-in-law is getting a new 575 and i have to hear about first on MTBR? WTF?

be prepared for some serious riding next season...

skillz to pay billz
    cerealsly

Thunder Chunky
    I cant believe im saying this but I like it down here in Castle Rock(too many people moving here but hell 1 more isnt going to make a difference) We got Denver and Colorado Springs both equal distances away and its not too far of a drive to go to the mountains for the day. However we do not really have any out the back door riding here so if thats what you are basing where you move off of Castle Rock might not be the best place for you

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by Inflexables
    The Inflexables endorse all those locations. Hard to go wrong with any of 'em.
    LOL.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I agree with Inflexables

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby

might want to remove arvada off the list while you're at it.

Don't count out Arvada - it reaches as far west as 93 and as far south as North Table, I think. Those houses there are closer to W. Ranch than I am, and it's only about 3 mi of pavement to get there from my house.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

skillz to pay billz
    sounds good db

Which way? Uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    What part of Morrison do you live in? I don't consider anything east of the hogback to be "Morrison" technically.
    I'm just North of C-470 and Belleview. I think Littleton officially starts South of Belleview. The nice homes North of BCLP are also part of Morrison, and pricey.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

Thread Terrorist
    Actually, I'd recommend Littleton - specifically K/C Valley. Not only do you have Deer Creek and South Valley "out the back door" you have K/C's own private stash of trails. And they're NICE.
    ...and the valley is full of californians! Great spot

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH
    Hi all,

Golden,
    Morrison,
    Littleton,
    maybe Highlands Ranch (but we are trying to get away from what is a supposed LA version of Denver...could be wrong on this only what I have read)
    Arvada
    Louisville
    Do a search on Golden in this forum. Here is my 2 cents:

Golden: Ridable access to Chimney Gulch, Apex, White Ranch, North Table and South Table mountain parks... without ever getting in your car. I live AT the Mt. Galbraith trailhead (hiker only), and it takes me a 2 minute bike ride to hit single track. Golden offers a small town mountain feel with tons to do. Easy access to everywhere.

Morrison: The Actual town of isn't very big. Its a road side downtown between the hogback and mountains. If you managed to find a place there, you can ride your bike to: Mt Falcon (5 minute ride) and Red Rocks/Mathews winters (5 - 15 minute ride). Most of the cookie cutter houses are on the inside of C-470 which will require you to hop in a car and drive to the aforementions spots. Green Mountian (treeless hump) is close along with bear creek park. Both are ridable from your home if you happen to end up on that side of the highway (both are not quality singletracks, but there none-the-less).

Littleton area (excluding Ken Caryl Valley): If you enjoy a 20 minute bike ride to the afore mentioned spots in Morrison, Littleton is a nice, cheap place that is a suburb. Hint: You're more than likely to drive to all the places to ride.

Highlands Ranch: This place was invented by Californians. If you love windy streets, horrible traffic, row's of houses, and a 30 minute commute to the mountains, this is the place for you.

Arvada: Suburb of Denver, a little confused as a town, but for the most part, close to the mountians. Depending on where you end up there, you'll probably drive to your mtb park of choice (with the exception of North Table Mountain).

Louisville: Poor man's Boulder (but still expensive). If you look around the area, it is also Californicated with miles of row houses. There are a few local spots to mountain bike (marshal mesa, random green belts). Boulder County doesn't like mountain bikes, so your closest places you'll head will be White Ranch (30 minutes south), Walker Ranch (40-50 minutes, traffic dependant), or Hall Ranch (call it an hour).

Evergreen: Someone mentioned this place: Its okay (I lived there for 2 years). Wife and I ended up hating it. The mtb season is shorter up there than down on the front range, which means you'll drive to go do anything. There are a few places you could ride, but if you're not really close to them, the traffic (no bike lanes in some cases) will kill you (literally).

Ken Carl Valley: Behind the hog back in the southwest part of Denver, there is a cute little suburb that has their own trail and trail system. Its quite good, and depending where you live, you can have singletrack ripping behind your house. Can be pricey, but I'm sure a SF couple could clean up in there!

Check this site out for local riding area's with maps:
    http://co.jefferson.co.us/openspace/...e_T56_R108.htm

and get onto Google earth and look around.

Good luck!

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Do a search on Golden in this forum. Here is my 2 cents:

Golden: Ridable access to Chimney Gulch, Apex, White Ranch, North Table and South Table mountain parks... without ever getting in your car. I live AT the Mt. Galbraith trailhead (hiker only), and it takes me a 2 minute bike ride to hit single track. Golden offers a small town mountain feel with tons to do. Easy access to everywhere.

Morrison: The Actual town of isn't very big. Its a road side downtown between the hogback and mountains. If you managed to find a place there, you can ride your bike to: Mt Falcon (5 minute ride) and Red Rocks/Mathews winters (5 - 15 minute ride). Most of the cookie cutter houses are on the inside of C-470 which will require you to hop in a car and drive to the aforementions spots. Green Mountian (treeless hump) is close along with bear creek park. Both are ridable from your home if you happen to end up on that side of the highway (both are not quality singletracks, but there none-the-less).

Littleton area (excluding Ken Caryl Valley): If you enjoy a 20 minute bike ride to the afore mentioned spots in Morrison, Littleton is a nice, cheap place that is a suburb. Hint: You're more than likely to drive to all the places to ride.

Highlands Ranch: This place was invented by Californians. If you love windy streets, horrible traffic, row's of houses, and a 30 minute commute to the mountains, this is the place for you.

Arvada: Suburb of Denver, a little confused as a town, but for the most part, close to the mountians. Depending on where you end up there, you'll probably drive to your mtb park of choice (with the exception of North Table Mountain).

Louisville: Poor man's Boulder (but still expensive). If you look around the area, it is also Californicated with miles of row houses. There are a few local spots to mountain bike (marshal mesa, random green belts). Boulder County doesn't like mountain bikes, so your closest places you'll head will be White Ranch (30 minutes south), Walker Ranch (40-50 minutes, traffic dependant), or Hall Ranch (call it an hour).

Evergreen: Someone mentioned this place: Its okay (I lived there for 2 years). Wife and I ended up hating it. The mtb season is shorter up there than down on the front range, which means you'll drive to go do anything. There are a few places you could ride, but if you're not really close to them, the traffic (no bike lanes in some cases) will kill you (literally).

Ken Carl Valley: Behind the hog back in the southwest part of Denver, there is a cute little suburb that has their own trail and trail system. Its quite good, and depending where you live, you can have singletrack ripping behind your house. Can be pricey, but I'm sure a SF couple could clean up in there!

Check this site out for local riding area's with maps:
    http://co.jefferson.co.us/openspace/...e_T56_R108.htm

and get onto Google earth and look around.

Good luck!
    Nice!! Thanks for the last minute detailed info. We are about to head out of here for the airport, so perfect timing on your post. It really sounds like Golden could be the best possible place not only for close riding, but some of the other criteria my wife and I are looking for as well.

Thanks again everyone

MSH

Your retarded
    It really sounds like Golden could be the best possible place not only for close riding, but some of the other criteria my wife and I are looking for as well.
    Psssttt... IndecentExposure is just trying to increase the value of his house. Trust nothing he says.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Psssttt... IndecentExposure is just trying to increase the value of his house. Trust nothing he says.
    SHhhhhh.... I'm secretly trying to saturate the town full of mountain bikers and run out all the anti-bikers..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Don't count out Arvada - it reaches as far west as 93 and as far south as North Table, I think.
    not quite, as there is that little chunk between 58th ave and 64th ave, east of 93 that is unincorporated jeffco (golden mailing). add the little hamlet of fairmount too before you hit arvada to the east.

Quote Originally Posted by nepbug
    I'm just North of C-470 and Belleview. I think Littleton officially starts South of Belleview. The nice homes North of BCLP are also part of Morrison, and pricey.
    D'OH! of course, i forgot about that area (quincy/470). my parents are north of belleview (again unincorporated jeffco) and littleton mailing.

. . .

btw, you should probably check out colorado springs, just because those punks down there are getting too smug about sending everybody up north... (they didn't learn to share in kindergarten).

skillz to pay billz
    Boulder County doesn't like mountain bikes, so your closest places you'll head will be White Ranch (30 minutes south), Walker Ranch (40-50 minutes, traffic dependant), or Hall Ranch (call it an hour).
    hey, the new mayor is a mnt biker. times might be a changin'

Thread Terrorist
    I know, I can't wait to hear about his 'DH trail' Agenda

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    ...and the valley is full of californians! Great spot
    I only know natives there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

You forget I have single track that is 5 minutes from my front door.....if I poach Ken Caryl. (Which I never do of course.... ) But if I were to do that theoretically there is single track from there all the way to Deer Creek.

You can score a house for less than a million if you go for Ken Caryl Ranch instead of KC Valley. It's basically on the east side of the hogback. You won't have single track wandering through your back yard though, you'll have to hit some bike path/street to get onto the goodness. But not very much.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    not quite, as there is that little chunk between 58th ave and 64th ave, east of 93 that is unincorporated jeffco (golden mailing). add the little hamlet of fairmount too before you hit arvada to the east.
    Well, you're right that there is a pocket of Golden northwest of N Table and east of 93, but Arvada does extend as far south as 58th and west beyond 93.
    See this map.
    So, like I said, you could live in Arvada and be easy riding distance to W. Ranch...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    See this map.
    wow, that is one convoluted boundary...
    (though golden's probably doesn't look much different)

mtbr member
    you have K/C's own private stash of trails. And they're NICE.
    You're not even supposed to tell people who live HERE about that, let alone yahoos from Cali.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reporterkyle
    You're not even supposed to tell people who live HERE about that, let alone yahoos from Cali.
    It's private... so it's safe. Unless you like the thought of going to jail for riding.

mtbr member
    If your jobs are portable why live in the Front Range? The Grand Junction area has lots to offer and the ride is at your doorstep.

Beanman

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan
    If your jobs are portable why live in the Front Range? The Grand Junction area has lots to offer and the ride is at your doorstep.

Beanman
    Or Montana.

Old, stale, negative
    I live in Louisville and will only defend an earlier Louisville bash with this, Soon (within the next year I hear) there will be a way to ride from my front door to Walker ranch and beyond via Eldorado Canyon. I think you can do no wrong on the front range. Good luck
    P.S. I'm a big fan of S.F., that said, you're gonna love it out here.

Or Montana.
    NIMBY
    Speed of Lightening
    Roar of Thunder

I feel compelled to defend my neck of the woods here.

I live in the C-470/Belleview/Quincy area. Our mailing address is listed as Morrison, though we are in unicorporated Jeffco. And it's about as suburban as it gets.

There is some great riding from the area here ... and it doesn't require taking a car to the trals. There is some pavement involved, but what part of the metro area doesn't require some sort of road or bike path to get to a trail?

Nepug was correct about the distance and ride time to the trails ... Mt. Falcon (and associated trails at Lair and Bear Creek trail), Green Mtn., Mathews Winters, Bear Creek are all easily rideable from the doorstep of my house. Some road but mostly dirt. And if you're driving to the trail head, C-470 can get you to all of the front range trails in a matter of minutes. You also can access the mountains within minutes given C-470 connecting to I-70 and US 285.

And there are a lot of other riders in this part of the neighborhood ... from single-speed fans and DH'ers to XC and even a roadie or two. It's not the "big scene" but you're not alone. Don't know why I'm disclosing all of this ...
    Morrison, Fruita, Crested Butte, Salida

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Inflexables
    NIMBY

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by MiguelH
    I feel compelled to defend my neck of the woods here.

I live in the C-470/Belleview/Quincy area. Our mailing address is listed as Morrison, though we are in unicorporated Jeffco. And it's about as suburban as it gets.

There is some great riding from the area here ... and it doesn't require taking a car to the trals. There is some pavement involved, but what part of the metro area doesn't require some sort of road or bike path to get to a trail?
    I don't you need to defend where you live. You're in a great spot that allows you to mountain bike on real mountains close to home. Most of the western part of the Denver area is 'close'. As far as 'out your front door', is up for debate.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

I'll second that....

Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan

Beanman

If I could telecommute and didn't have kids, I'd be out of here so fast.....

I've seen most of the large cities in the US (yes, I've looked at SF, Seattle, Portland) and there isn't one that I would choose to live in over literally dozens of smaller towns. In CO, Durango, Grand Junction, Steamboat, Montrose. In Utah, Moab, St. George, In NM, Santa Fe area, In AZ Flagstaff. Hell, even places like Rapid City or Carbondale or Springfield, MO beat most large cities. For riding and for everything else.

Why the Front Range? Why a large city?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    <snip>

Probably for many of the reasons millions of other people pick large cities.

trail waggler

Bad air...

Probably for many of the reasons millions of other people pick large cities.
    Lotsa traffic?

Oh, yeah, shopping. Too bad that you can't do that online...
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

Thread Terrorist
    If I could telecommute and didn't have kids, I'd be out of here so fast.....

You have fantastic points. However, Downtown Denver has a great night life and good resturants. You won't get that in Grand Junction, Moab, or Fruita. True Job portability is all realative.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

OK, I'm a little cranky...

I realize my previous post sounds a little cranky, but I had to drive from Golden to Boulder to Thornton to the DTC and back to Golden yesterday afternoon. All for the 'convenience' of living a a city where I can get anything I need, as long as I am willing to endure hours of sh*tty traffic to get there.

I grew up in a town of 23,000, and I am totally ready to go back to something that size. Especially now with the internet, I can get anything I need delivered to my door in two days. I could just order everything here, too, but when you think something should take two hours and it ends up taking all day, you start to question what all the fuss is about 'convenience'.

I have a good restaurant, it's called my kitchen.

Nightlife? I'm 47. Enough said about that.

Culture? You'd be surprised what you find in small towns in the mountain west. Almost every town west of the divide is a haven for free thinking and artistic people. Even Moab. Maybe not Nucla, OK? This is very different from the midwest and south, where many small towns are also small-minded. I realize I'm painting the south and midwest with a broad brush, but I lived for several years in the south, and I grew up in the midwest. I'm speaking from experience as a partially reformed redneck.

Riding? Every town I mentioned has great riding. Carbondale might be a stretch, but the southern tip of Illinois is one of the most surprisingly cool natural areas in the US, and pretty much under everyone's radar. Not to mention that the real estate is insanely inexpensive. The $200K that gets you one level above a trailer around here will get you a beautiful custom built home on acreage.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I realize my previous post sounds a little cranky, but I had to drive from Golden to Boulder to Thornton to the DTC and back to Golden yesterday afternoon. All for the 'convenience' of living a a city where I can get anything I need, as long as I am willing to endure hours of sh*tty traffic to get there.

I grew up in a town of 23,000, and I am totally ready to go back to something that size. Especially now with the internet, I can get anything I need delivered to my door in two days. I could just order everything here, too, but when you think something should take two hours and it ends up taking all day, you start to question what all the fuss is about 'convenience'.

Culture? You'd be surprised what you find in small towns in the mountain west. Almost every town west of the divide is a haven for free thinking and artistic people. Even Moab. Maybe not Nucla, OK? This is very different from the midwest and south, where many small towns are also small-minded. I realize I'm painting the south and midwest with a broad brush, but I lived for several years in the south, and I grew up in the midwest. I'm speaking from experience as a partially reformed redneck.

Riding? Every town I mentioned has great riding. Carbondale might be a stretch, but the southern tip of Illinois is one of the most surprisingly cool natural areas in the US, and pretty much under everyone's radar. Not to mention that the real estate is insanely inexpensive. The $200K that gets you one level above a trailer around here will get you a beautiful custom built home on acreage.
    Don't let the door hit ya in the a$$ on the way out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

No way..

Don't let the door hit ya in the a$$ on the way out.

I'll move too fast for that....y'all can give your bikes rides to and fro on the roofs of your cars forever....as long as the oil supply holds out...

icanseeformiles(andmiles)
    and one of the county commissioners was mtb'ing way back in '94.
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    To differentiate riders by the type of surface frequented is IMO the height of foolishness.

skillz to pay billz
    I think the key word there is '1'

flowcus
    IMHO Fort Collins has the best "out the door" riding anywhere on the front range. Can't believe it didn't get a mention here....

Thread Terrorist

Sounds like you've made a compromise. I'm not here to invoke a debate, but you, like everyone else, would love to have our cake, and eat it too.

Would I rather live in Moab? Sure. I would also like it to have an international airport, realy bars, no liqour laws, blah blah blah.

What I don't get, is when people complain about Denver and the front range, is why are you here? Skaredshtlss complains all the time about living here... I still haven't figured out why he's still here (Its because he can make a living here).

So i'm guessing that you're in the same boat (you have a job here). If you don't like driving in traffic, pick a different job (unless this one pays well).

I'm in sales, so I too have a job that makes me drive everywhere in the Front Range. I know I'm part of the problem (Traffic), but like everyone else, I can make good money here. Since I have to live in Denver as opposed to Aspen or Moab, I make the best of it and find something that is closest to the type of lifestyle that matches Moab / CB / etc.

Golden is the closest thing you'll have in the front range. Golden has a tight community (16k people) and geographically isolated from the rest of the Denver Metro area. I truely have riding out my front door, unlike most that have to drive 20 minutes. But, I have to pay extra for that... its all about compromising.

Thread Terrorist
    I'll move too fast for that....y'all can give your bikes rides to and fro on the roofs of your cars forever....as long as the oil supply holds out...
    ...and this is why I live in Golden.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by fcrider
    IMHO Fort Collins has the best "out the door" riding anywhere on the front range. Can't believe it didn't get a mention here....
    I won't argue with the fact that Fort Collins is a nice town, with great mountain biking.

I will argue that its not all 'that'. Everyone says that there is riding out your front down, but all of the houses that really have that are few. Most of the town is east of the mountains and really spread out. I would venture to say that most of the FC riders put their bike on a car and drive to the trail head (depending on where you live, 5 to 25 minutes of driving).

flowcus
    I'll give you that. Location is everything. I personally live in SW part of town. I can be on dirt in <5 minutes from front door so my view is bit skewed. But one could also argue that HTMP/Lory are very ridable from anywhere in town if you've don't mind the 25 minute road ride.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Golden yada

These "I'm moving to Denver" threads always elicit these types of responses sooner or later. There are a lot of frustrated people here because of the population explosion.

I would have counted myself among those people earlier in my life. I remember mountain biking on my Schwinn Sierra at White Ranch in about 1990 on a Saturday and seeing maybe two people. Man, how times have changed. For me, I grew up in Golden, and now can't afford to live there myself...not yet anyway. It seriously hurts me everytime I see fields fall to development...just like what is happening off of 93 up by White Ranch, the gazillion dollar homes up there. I absolutely do fear that the Californication is coming...whether we like it or not. I mean, if you move from CA, then you probably sold a home worth 600k or better, so what's 400k here in CO? Heck, you've still got money in the bank. That's just economics. Those of us here in CO could cash out and move to Kansas and get a big chunk of land and a huge house for about 100k. Why don't we? Exactly. And that's why everyone else lives here too.

But before I sound too whiney here, I do have to say though that while I sympathize with everyone out there who wants their cake and wants to eat it too...I don't ignore all the blessings I do have and the good things that have come out of the population growth. I have a feeling most everyone else on this blog could find similar blessings in their own lives.

For one, I have a better job than my grandpa or my dad did when he moved here in the 1940's throughout the 1980's, etc. There's a lot more opportunity now and my family has definately benefited overall from the home price explosion in the late nineties. I've met some very cool people (even from California JK), and there is a lot more culture here...although that's somewhat lost on me I'm afraid. Personally, I'm still within 15 min of the major trails, and unless gas reaches $10 a gallon, I think I can swing it...or I'll just add that commute to the trailhead onto my ride (sometims I get the chance to do that anyway.)

So to all of you who are frustrated by the masses, let's count our blessings. From my end, I give you my promise that I'll yeild for you on the trails, and give you the obligatory "hey, how's it going." Everyone has the same right to be here. Some of my buddies that grew up here like I did are native snobs. But what the heck, if you go back only a few generations none of us are natives anyway.

So I guess the main point of all this rambling is to fist, sympathize, but second, to urge everyone to overcome the bad feelings that I see out there on the trail so ofter...especailly when it's crowded and we all get this selfish feeling that it's "my trail," or "I was here first" mentality. Forget it. We're all in it together. Just be cool, volunteer and do trail work if you can, and try to have fun.

Last edited by GL1; 12-03-2007 at 02:29 PM.

friend of Apex

Its whatcha make of it...

I've lived in D-town my whole life. Grew up in Broomfield, lived in DowntownDenver during college. Moved away to a ski town for a year, and have now returned to N Metro.
    This place is great, but its whatcha make of it.
    My drive to work is short (No I-25 BS), and I have many weekdays off.
    I guess if I was in traffic for hours or had to deal with crowded weekend trails/slopes I might feel different. It's a small town to me cuz I know how to avoid the masses. You wont see my on I-70 Sunday eves in the winter. I'll be workin, at home, night ridin Keystoned, or on the beach (cuz I'm fairly close to DIA, and I travel a lot)
    I dont have wikid singletrack out my front door...But the local kids have put together a great set of jumps and a teter to hit on the way back from the pub; I can make riding around here fun. It's not the Enchanted Forest, but it'smy out the door riding. I dont mind the 20min drive to Dakota (i'll be there Tuesday ), cuz its not usually crowded when I go. I dont mind the 75 minute drive to the slopes (every Wednesday ) cuz I dont wait in line to hit my next run.
    Its just how you make it, my man

PS - looks like Wed or Thurs are gonna be PowDays
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    I've lived in D-town my whole life. Grew up in Broomfield, lived in DowntownDenver during college. Moved away to a ski town for a year, and have now returned to N Metro.
    This place is great, but its whatcha make of it.
    My drive to work is short (No I-25 BS), and I have many weekdays off.
    I guess if I was in traffic for hours or had to deal with crowded weekend trails/slopes I might feel different. It's a small town to me cuz I know how to avoid the masses. You wont see my on I-70 Sunday eves in the winter. I'll be workin, at home, night ridin Keystoned, or on the beach (cuz I'm fairly close to DIA, and I travel a lot)
    I dont have wikid singletrack out my front door...But the local kids have put together a great set of jumps and a teter to hit on the way back from the pub; I can make riding around here fun. It's not the Enchanted Forest, but it'smy out the door riding. I dont mind the 20min drive to Dakota (i'll be there Tuesday ), cuz its not usually crowded when I go. I dont mind the 75 minute drive to the slopes (every Wednesday ) cuz I dont wait in line to hit my next run.
    Its just how you make it, my man

PS - looks like Wed or Thurs are gonna be PowDays
    Well stated.

flowcus
    Watch what happens when oil hits $150/barrel. Durango/Fruita/Moab are looking pretty good when you remove the old school barriers and CEOs figure out that only half their work force needs to be on-site (manufacturing/services). Its already happening, just not on a mass scale. The virtual office is here to stay folks and its stoked by high-speed internet access.

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by GL1
    I mean, if you move from CA, then you probably sold a home worth 600k or better, so what's 400k here in CO? Heck, you've still got money in the bank. That's just economics. Those of us here in CO could cash out and move to Kansas and get a big chunk of land and a huge house for about 100k. Why don't we? Exactly. And that's why everyone else lives here too.

this is the most common misconception about Californians. While many do sell a home and move with the extra cash, many CA natives, like myself(4th gen on my dads side), have a story more similar to yours. Priced out of the market in their home towns. Fortunately my wife was from colorado so we had an excuse to try it out here while still being close to family(hers).

Heck, you would be hard pressed to find real california natives in places like san francisco or LA, most people are from somewhere else. It also seems like many transplants in CO are actually wealthy midwesterners or east coasters. But somehow its always 'those californians'.

Not sure if I'll get flamed for this response but what the hey...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    <snip>

What I don't get, is when people complain about Denver and the front range, is why are you here? Skaredshtlss complains all the time about living here...
    YOU of all people know why I complain.
    I still haven't figured out why he's still here (Its because he can make a living here).
    It's mostly because you live here.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    <snip> It also seems like many transplants in CO are actually wealthy midwesterners or east coasters. But somehow its always 'those californians'.
    I think statistically the biggest culprits are the Kansans.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Amen...

Watch what happens when oil hits $150/barrel. Durango/Fruita/Moab are looking pretty good when you remove the old school barriers and CEOs figure out that only half their work force needs to be on-site (manufacturing/services). Its already happening, just not on a mass scale. The virtual office is here to stay folks and its stoked by high-speed internet access.
    This is part of the reason why towns like Durango/Fruita/Moab have already become expensive, and Golden and Boulder still have rising housing prices. You may not want or need to walk to the grocery store or take the train to work today, but ten years from now that will change. People see the future, and it ain't pretty if you are married to a long commute and have no public transportation options. Gas is $8.00 a gallon in London. We'll get there before my Moots wears out.

I'm more screwed than most in that I live in the foothills. Coulda, shoulda, woulda bought a house in Boulder or Golden twenty years ago. Now I can't.

I saw a quote that is supposedly used by the Saudi elders: "My father rode a camel, I drive a car, my son flies a jet plane, his son will ride a camel".

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Ya but

Ya but the price of oil in England is fueled by their outrageous taxes. They tax everything. They are thinking of putting a mandatory GPS in all new cars and taxing on mileage. Crazy!

Careful who you vote for in the next election, and watch all the "Gore" hype about environmental issues. I'm all for being green...but really doing it. Not just creating a diversion by which to tax the general public for something they think is good...and then just using the money for some other endeavor. Same show, different day. If things go green, it's got to be at the individual level. Smack the government's hand away next election eh?

I'll get down off the soapbox now.

friend of Apex
    Ya but the price of oil in England is fueled by their outrageous taxes. They tax everything. They are thinking of putting a mandatory GPS in all new cars and taxing on mileage. Crazy!

Careful who you vote for in the next election, and watch all the "Gore" hype about environmental issues. I'm all for being green...but really doing it. Not just creating a diversion by which to tax the general public for something they think is good...and then just using the money for some other endeavor. Same show, different day. If things go green, it's got to be at the individual level. Smack the government's hand away next election eh?

Agreed.
    But, Ummm, you need to head to this forum....
    http://forums.mtbr.com/forum.php#political-socio-economic-religion

friend of Apex
    Well stated.
    I'm touched...

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Hijack

Ya, I did kinda hijack there. Sorry, I had just read an article on England and I was fired up. Oh well. But I can bring it back on track by saying that if we spend less on taxes, we might all be able to afford houses in Golden. Nah, it's still a stretch.

flowcus
    You may not want or need to walk to the grocery store or take the train to work today, but ten years from now that will change. People see the future, and it ain't pretty if you are married to a long commute and have no public transportation options.
    I hear ya honkinunit - the solutions have to be local/sustainable. The transportation cost for that widget you just bought that's made in India by 10-year olds is going up.

Careful who you vote for in the next election, and watch all the "Gore" hype about environmental issues.
    Gore's just one messenger out there trying to sound the wake up call. I won't give credence to the flat-earthers who are too dumb to see the disaster coming. We can debate whether the waters will rise 8 or 20 feet in Miami Beach, or whether all our skiing will be done in Alaska by 2050, but it doesn't change the fact that this globe is going to see some ass-kickin' changes in our lifetime and my daughter's generation is going to have to figure out how to deal with it.

But, Ummm, you need to head to this forum....
    http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88
    Damn - I didn't even know it existed. Thanks!

Now, what was the original subject of this thread? Oh yeah, places to live. I still say Fort Collins for front range. Durango for lottery winners / Californians (We know you're cool Nooby)

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

My turn on the soapbox

It isn't about being green. It is about sustaining the American economy.

Look at it this way. If Algore had been elected in 2000 and implemented his 50 cent a gallon tax, (when gas was $1.50), people would have had a sh*t fit. TWO DOLLARS A GALLON?

But, this would have done two things: it would have shocked people into reexamining their lifestyles, and it would have provided Billions for alternative energy research and implementation. Instead, we have 'boiled the frog'. We are paying $3.00 a gallon, and nothing has been done.

The price of a barrel of oil has gone from $12 to over $80 in the last ten years. If it goes up by six times in the next ten years, it will be $480 a barrel. There are a lot of oil industry people who think this is completely possible. The price of a gallon of gas has a lot of factors in it right now, from refining to taxes, but if the price of oil is $480 a barrel, that overwhelms the cost of all the other price components. $10 a gallon could look cheap at that point, and a 50 cent tax will be nothing.

People don't realize how fast the oil situation is changing. The output from the North Sea has been cut in half in the last seven years. Prudhoe Bay has dropped by 75% from its peak. The giant Cantarell field in Mexico is dropping like a rock. All the 'huge' discoveries trumpeted in the news in the past few years are minor when you look at the overall picture. That 'big' oil find in the Atlantic off of Brazil's coast? If the most optimistic projections were true, and they gave the US every drop of the oil, it would sustain us for 10 months. Oil shale? It is at best a net zero conversion from other forms of energy to oil. Canadian tar sands? It takes a strong stomach to tolerate the environmental destruction(imagine a strip mine 180 miles long and 120 miles wide!), and even at max output they'll never meet even a third of the US demand. The real problem is that the Saudi fields, which dwarf everything else on the planet, are probably in terminal decline. The Saudi's say no, their oil exports say yes.

Enough threadjack.

If you care about what life will look like in twenty years, I'll give you two links:

http://www.theoildrum.com

Read it and weep. I do.

And, it isn't only about getting around. It is about eating:

http://globalpublicmedia.com/richard...e_oil_runs_out

ride
    All that said then, are you better off riding out your front door to work with a 20min drive to the trail or trailriding out your door with a 20min drive to work
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    All that said then, are you better off riding out your front door to work with a 20min drive to the trail or trailriding out your door with a 20min drive to work
    Darn good question...
    I'd say trail riding out your front door, with a 20 min drive to work. Cuz a 20 min drive to work = 50 minutes on bike (for me).. and a 20min drive to work is good for anyone..., and trails out your door implies you got a sweet spot next to the hills.

skillz to pay billz
    I must say that waking up on the weekends and riding out the door is great. Just knowing I'm surrounded by sweet trails vs. my office environment is worth it. Especially if I'm riding more days a week than working.
    Last edited by nOOby; 12-03-2007 at 09:00 PM.

flowcus
    Especially if I'm riding more day a week than working.
    OK, you're either (a) not married, (b) not a parent, or (c) have a kick-ass job and a set of good lights.

Thread Terrorist
    bwaa haa haa haa....

When gas goes up, those little towns will feel the pinch the worst. Transportation charges will through the roof!
    But, then that will drive all the poor people out of town and free up realestate for me to buy! ...but I'd be poor too

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    This is one of my philosophies about living.

I happen to be in the "Short commute to play" category.

I would rather commute to work, than have to commute to play. A matter of priorities.

Thread Terrorist
    OK, you're either (a) not married, (b) not a parent, or (c) have a kick-ass job and a set of good lights.
    or d) Trustafarian

friend of Apex
    or d) Trustafarian
    Had to google that one...

1. trustafarian
    a. a spoiled rich white kid who smokes pot.
    OR
    A hippie poser. Essentially a rich kid who smokes weed, wears hats designed to hold dreads when he in fact has none, and uses the word "peace" to say bye.

I'm a c), but no lights, & part d), but no trust fund or dreads
    PEACE

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    bwaa haa haa haa....

When gas goes up, those little towns will feel the pinch the worst. Transportation charges will through the roof!
    But, then that will drive all the poor people out of town and free up realestate for me to buy! ...but I'd be poor too
    Nah - there will just be a big push to convert a bunch of cars to run on natural gas. Which they have $hitloads of out there.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Well, when I started this post I never suspected this would generate so many replies. At any rate, I appreciate all the feedback.

Couple of notes/comments....

- So my wife and I went to a ton of neighborhoods over the weekend and our favs were...Golden, Ken Caryl Ranch, and Boulder (probably my wife's favorite). If it were solely up to me it would be Golden in a heartbeat, but alas I'm married and marriage is, after all, about compromise, so we'll see how it plays out.

- I agree with some of the folks that ask "why not live in _______" if your jobs are portable. Once again...if I was still single, towns like Bend, Durango, Crested Butte (my folks retired in CB..couldn't have asked them to retire in a better place!!) would be at the top of my list, but my wife would not be happy in these somewhat isolated smaller towns. Moving to Denver is already a stretch...trust me

- Lastly...to the contributing to the "Californication" comments....
    we are certainly not selling a home here in Norcal, so it is not a situation were we are selling our $700K shack to buy a 4000 sq ft monster home in CO for $500K. We have been renting, since we have been married and neither of us has ever owned a home. We have been holding out because of the uncertainty of where we may be in the next 1-2 yrs, and we simply haven't been able to afford anything we would deem acceptable here (although what is acceptable at these outrageous prices here??)

Anyway....I certainly envy you folks that have those sweet rides right out your front door. I hope to join you sometime in the near future. I should say that I'm not hurting terribly here in Norcal. There is some terrific riding here.......well until then I will have to suffer

Thx Again,
    MSH

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

$500K 4000sq ft monster home?

When you find a 4000 sq ft monster home for $500K in Ken Caryl, Golden or Boulder, let us know....

I haven't seen one in at least ten years....$500K generally gets you 2200 sq. ft. of late 60's split level ranch on a postage stamp in Boulder.

skillz to pay billz
    [internets hiccup]
    Last edited by nOOby; 12-03-2007 at 10:39 PM.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    When you find a 4000 sq ft monster home for $500K in Ken Caryl, Golden or Boulder, let us know....

I haven't seen one in at least ten years....$500K generally gets you 2200 sq. ft. of late 60's split level ranch on a postage stamp in Boulder.
    Here's nearly 4000 sq ft in K/C Valley for $500K:

http://www.recolorado.com/Search/pro..._number=592882

MSH
    mtbr member

For KC Valley the $500K may have been slightly off (but not that far), but certainly not for Golden...

Golden
    For Sale - $548K - 4 beds, 3.5 baths, 4,228 sq ft - http://www.zillow.com/HomeDetails.htm?zprop=13710322

Recently Sold - $495K - 4 beds, 4.5 baths, 3,600 sq ft - http://www.zillow.com/HomeDetails.htm?zprop=13710369

Recently Sold - $459K - 4 beds, 3.0 baths, 3,917 sq ft
    http://www.zillow.com/HomeDetails.htm?zprop=13751527

Ken Caryl -

For Sale - $529K 4 beds, 3.0 baths, 3,124 sq ft -
    http://www.zillow.com/HomeDetails.htm?zprop=13830490

skillz to pay billz

married. no kids. Can go to work early and leave early by 4pm in the spring/summer and get in several hours near the house, mostly the dots, west mag, 68/gross res, or local neighborhood goodness all within biking distance(5 miles to westmag which is the furthest from the above list).

The time change is killing it a little but I can ride to work and bus home. Pretty sweet for living within 14 miles of my job in boulder in a modest house on 1.3 acres with a two car garage, hot tub and seasonal pond for under 300k.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Ummm....

For KC Valley the $500K may have been slightly off (but not that far), but certainly not for Golden...

Golden
    For Sale - $548K - 4 beds, 3.5 baths, 4,228 sq ft - http://www.zillow.com/HomeDetails.htm?zprop=13710322

Recently Sold - $495K - 4 beds, 4.5 baths, 3,600 sq ft - http://www.zillow.com/HomeDetails.htm?zprop=13710369

Ken Caryl -

For Sale - $529K 4 beds, 3.0 baths, 3,124 sq ft -
    http://www.zillow.com/HomeDetails.htm?zprop=13830490

Ummm, none of the houses are 4000 sq ft for $500K.......

And you left out Boulder....

No one has brought this up yet, but there is a huge push on by very powerful political forces (including former Gov. Bill "Pavement" Owens) to ram an unneeded six lane highway right through Golden. At least one of those houses you linked is perched right over the corridor. Golden doesn't want it, but it doesn't really matter if the politcos line up their forces. One of the commissioners(there are only 3) appears to have getting this highway done as his sole purpose in life. McCasky. What a tool. Those of you who live in Jeffco please vote this guy out at the first opportunity.

You might want to take a hard look at this unless you like the prospect of living on top of
    40,000 cars a day. As it is, 93 carries 20K cars a day through there.

Thread Terrorist

Golden

This is my Neighborhood. There is an Open Space Trail head around the bend from those locations on Canyon Point Circle, that would be where I live. There are about 40 mountain bikers in that neighborhood. Mostly younger outdoor active families. This is the hood in which you can access Chimney Gulch Trail head (singletrack) with a ~2 minute bike ride down the hill. My neighbor and I rode over to North Table mountain in about 10 minutes (I wasn't haulin'). 2 groups participated in the 24 hours of Moab, perhaps we'll get 3 or 4 next year!

Everyone loves Boulder that's from out of town. I lived there (cause I was originally from out of town), and ended up hating the traffic and lack of affordable property near the mountains. Golden won't have the cute Perl Street Mall and is more for the laid back attitude. 20 minutes puts you in Boulder or Denver.

Thread Terrorist

No one has brought this up yet, but there is a huge push on by very powerful political forces (including former Gov. Bill "Pavement" Owens) to ram an unneeded six lane highway right through Golden. At least one of those houses you linked is perched right over the corridor. Golden doesn't want it, but it doesn't really matter if the politcos line up their forces. One of the commissioners(there are only 3) appears to have getting this highway done as his sole purpose in life. McCasky. What a tool. Those of you who live in Jeffco please vote this guy out at the first opportunity.
    OMG, here we go again.

1. There are no exact plans to have it going through Golden.
    2. Its decades off
    3. It wouldn't actually hit this neighborhood. According to an buddy of mine who is a Civil Engineer that has been a researsher on the project says that the highway would need to be further east anyway to cover the necessary interchanges for Highway 6 / 58, etc... so this neighborhood would be spared completely. Also, bringing it so far west would generate a sharper arc, reducing the speeds from the 65 mph to 45... So, it would need to be more of a bee-line.
    4. Arvada is begging for it to be on the other side of North Table mountain.

This neighborhood is safer than the area's slightly east. Even if they do put it in, it would make my life easier to get to downtown Golden, and getting into the mountains quicker.

MSH
    mtbr member

You might want to take a hard look at this unless you like the prospect of living on top of
    40,000 cars a day. As it is, 93 carries 20K cars a day through there.
    You mentioned that you hadn't seen a 4000 sq ft home in either Golden, KC Valley, or Boulder for $500K in the last 10 yrs. I merely was pointing out a couple of examples that were close in one of those cities.

You are right...the ones in Golden aren't exactly 4000 sq ft. The one example is less than 4000 sq ft (by what 83 sq ft) for $41K less than $500K. The other one for sale is listed at $548K and by the looks of things right now in the Denver market houses aren't going for asking price, so I would think you could buy that home for very close to $500K

At any rate, I should probably rephrase and just say you can get a lot LARGER house for $500K in Denver than in the Bay Area. $600-$650K buys you a 1500 sq ft 50's track home in a mediocre neighborhood here. I will take the options in Denver anyday of the week over what you get here.

Thanks for the feedback

MSH

Thread Terrorist
    Well, when I started this post I never suspected this would generate so many replies. At any rate, I appreciate all the feedback.
    This question gets asked alot on this forum. Generates the same replies. Most people (including me) believe that where we live is the 'best' spot... and we'll defend it to know end. Sort of like self-generating consumer confidence.

The debate loses steam when everyone believes that their lifestyle is yours.

I am a software sales professional that needs to drive all over the front range, including the airport. My wife and I are mountain bikers and rock climbers; we have kids, so our requirements are:

1. Close to mountain biking <5min
    2. Close to Rock Climbing <5min
    3. Against (adjacent) Open Space (no backyard neighbors)
    4. Live in a smaller mountain community
    5. Easy access to Boulder, Denver and the airport (20min to den/bldr, 35 to airport)
    6. Easy access to mountains (Summit county is 40 min to 1 hour away)
    7. We're social, so having friends and neighbors is important
    8. Reduced driving for errands, bikeable / walkable access to a downtown area
    9. Affordable (within our range)
    10. Good schools
    last: Commute to work

We have both lived in Boulder, Louisville, Evergreen... she has lived in CO Springs and Longmont in addition. We moved from Golden to Evergreen and then back again.

Putting all those requirements into perspective has placed us in Golden. I wasn't a fan of moving back there after living in Evergreen, but I wasn't as into mountain biking as I am now. I couldn't imagine living anywhere else in the front range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0