Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    MSH
    mtbr member

Denver's "Ride out the front door" Best Towns to Live

Hi all,

My wife and I are making the trek out to Denver tomorrow evening (11/29) for a "check out Denver" trip. We are seriously considering moving from the SF Bay area to Denver, so we are going to make the 3 day trek to check out places we may want to live. At the top of the list for us to check out are...

Golden,
    Morrison,
    Littleton,
    maybe Highlands Ranch (but we are trying to get away from what is a supposed LA version of Denver...could be wrong on this only what I have read)
    Arvada
    Louisville

Of all the aforemetioned places which city in your opinion is the absolute top of the list as far as quality "out the front door" rides. From what I can tell it has to be Golden and Morrison, but I will defer to the experts on this forum. I appreciate any feedback you could provide.

Thanks,
    MSH

From the provided list, Golden and Morrison are best for accessing trails "out the front door".

You might want to add Evergreen to the list.

Ed

mtbr member

Have lived in both SF and CO...

For diversity and access SF can't hold CO's jock (at least as far as offroad riding). To be fair, the reverse could be said when considering things like food, culture and surfing, but Denver has a pretty happening food scene and its disadvantages in terms of cultural offerings are overblown - how much ballet do you really need? I think these are more than offset when considering how close you are to MTB cultural icons like Durango, Fruita, Moab et cetera. I've lived here for almost 10 years and I still have this pervasive feeling of disbelief that all that stuff (plus the stuff right out the back door!) is really that close.

Back to your question; Golden. Morrison. Evergreen. All good choices with great access. We were living in Edwards (just west of Vail) after 7 years in Breckenridge and considered all those as potential candidates for a move. If you don't mind a short season Summit County is where it's at in terms of incredible quality and volume right out your back door. In Breckenridge we call the 17-dozen hour-long choices available from town "inside-the-park-homeruns". Also just 60 minutes to Denver (and that much closer to Moab and Fruita).

Good luck!

skillz to pay billz
    nederland!!!

[SIZE="1"]bay area transplant here, shhhh![/SIZE]

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Actually, I'd recommend Littleton - specifically K/C Valley. Not only do you have Deer Creek and South Valley "out the back door" you have K/C's own private stash of trails. And they're NICE.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Golden

Moderator Moderator
    Golden if you are nailed to Denver metro area.

Check out Loveland/Fort Collins 60 miles north if you are bringing your job(s) with you. Even better.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

Which way? Uphill.
    Golden and Morrison. Golden may have a slight advantage in that it's slightly closer (5 minutes tops, if not equal) to I-70 for skiing and high-country rides, but Morrison tends to have more affordable housing.

I tried to live in Golden, but I got sick of looking at Bi-level houses (my price range was saturated with them) and I got more bang for my buck in Morrison.

Of course I live east of the Hogback in Morrison, not the cool little downtown area. It's the best access from my front door I've ever had for both road and mountain biking.

Some ride times to some local rides from my front door:
    Waterton Canyon/Indian Creek: 45 minutes
    Deer Creek: 35 minutes
    Mt Falcon: 20 minutes
    High Grade (road bike): 25 minutes
    Bear Creek Lake Park: 3 minutes
    Green Mountain: 30 minutes
    Dakota Ridge: 30 minutes
    Apex: 40 minutes
    Chimney Gulch: 50 minutes
    White Ranch: 1 hr 15 minutes
    Lookout Mountain (road bike): 45 minutes

If I lived in Golden/Lakewood (Green Mountain area) I would be closer to Green Mountain and everything below on the list, but the first 3 are 3 of my 4 favorite front range rides (the other being chimney gulch)

If you really enjoy road biking then you can't beat Boulder for the amount of classic climbs/rides there.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by nepbug
    Golden and Morrison. Golden may have a slight advantage in that it's slightly closer (5 minutes tops, if not equal) to I-70 for skiing and high-country rides, but Morrison tends to have more affordable housing.

I tried to live in Golden, but I got sick of looking at Bi-level houses (my price range was saturated with them) and I got more bang for my buck in Morrison.

Of course I live east of the Hogback in Morrison, not the cool little downtown area. It's the best access from my front door I've ever had for both road and mountain biking.

Some ride times to some local rides from my front door:
    Waterton Canyon/Indian Creek: 45 minutes
    Deer Creek: 35 minutes
    Mt Falcon: 20 minutes
    High Grade (road bike): 25 minutes
    Bear Creek Lake Park: 3 minutes
    Green Mountain: 30 minutes
    Dakota Ridge: 30 minutes
    Apex: 40 minutes
    Chimney Gulch: 50 minutes
    White Ranch: 1 hr 15 minutes
    Lookout Mountain (road bike): 45 minutes

If I lived in Golden/Lakewood (Green Mountain area) I would be closer to Green Mountain and everything below on the list, but the first 3 are 3 of my 4 favorite front range rides (the other being chimney gulch)

If you really enjoy road biking then you can't beat Boulder for the amount of classic climbs/rides there.
    What part of Morrison do you live in? I don't consider anything east of the hogback to be "Morrison" technically.

mtbr member

You've done your research well

Golden and Morrison (probably in that order) are indeed the two best out-the-door access points in the Denver metro area. Both have managed to keep some of their small town charm despite being swallowed whole by suburbia.

mtbr member
    i've always wondered for folks who live in/near morrison about the noise from bandimere speedway? when i was a kid, we could hear the bigger events at my parents' house clear out in littleton (unincorporated, kipling/belleview).

P.S. i also thought morrison just went west of the hogback, as bear creek lake park (about as close east as you can get) is city of lakewood.

P.P.S. you should also check out the unincorporated (jeffco) area north of golden (golden mailing address, but outside city limits).

though you can't really go too wrong w/ any on the list... comes down to price and 'hood character (or these days, lack thereof, unfortunately).

skillz to pay billz
    MSH,

How much dough you got to spend?

bbc
    Bueno!
    Lyons! You get to go to Dale's afterwards.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

what kind of rides?

In boulder we have lots and lots of fantastic road riding which is what I mainly do from the front door. I've got a busy family and don't have much time for car transit. However I have some very nice mtb riding from the door too, tho its not technical, very XC or even CX, and you must be able to tolerate pavement.

Rolling
    All I can say is Louisville and littleton are at the bottom of this list, unless you like lots of road riding too!

MSH
    mtbr member
    I appreciate the feedback everyone.We are definitely looking forward to the trip out your way.

Thanks,
    MSH

The Inflexables endorse all those locations. Hard to go wrong with any of 'em.

Go hard or go home
    Durango
    Best coffee ever... www.copperdoorcoffee.com/

skillz to pay billz
    All I can say is Louisville and littleton are at the bottom of this list, unless you like lots of road riding too!

might want to remove arvada off the list while you're at it.

truth be told anywhere on the plains and foothills might have one or two good rides out the door and a little to a long drive to mix it up. If you want quality and quantity out your door. you need to live in the suburban mountains. evergreen, coal creek, up I-70, ned, lyons, maybe morrison...

crips I'm getting buzzed off tripple. nevermind me

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinjin4131
    Durango
    Best answer yet.

Go hard or go home
    No more tripples for nOOby...must -- switch -- to -- McCallans!!

(He has a Yeti on the way, ya know...)
    Best coffee ever... www.copperdoorcoffee.com/

skillz to pay billz
    * hiccup

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I'm in for a 1/2 a sixer of Inversion IPA. Goddam this stuff is good.

mtbr member
    2 Below Ale in a cold glass...

so my brother-in-law is getting a new 575 and i have to hear about first on MTBR? WTF?

[SIZE="1"]be prepared for some serious riding next season...[/SIZE]

skillz to pay billz
    cerealsly

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast