Results 1 to 32 of 32
  1. #1
    endorphin junkie
    Reputation: dobovedo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    422

    Denver visit in January - need ride advice

    Greetings all,

    Apologies if this is one of those "why didn't you do a search instead of ask" kind of threads. I have been browsing the Front Range forum for information, and have gotten some good starting info, but would to get more recommendations given the time of year and limitations of weather.

    I'll be in Denver (Centennial) on a biz trip and I've got three full days on my own time to mountain bike as much as possible. Arriving late Friday Jan 18 and can ride 19/20/21. I have a place to rent a bike lined up, although not sure if I'll go HT, FS or "snow bike". Depends on the weather conditions when I get there.

    Looking for the best places to ride in January that will give me:
    - maximum amount of riding without spending too much time driving.
    - widest variety of trail experiences I can find, given the limitation that it's January.
    - great views and scenery (I ride with both still and video cameras).
    - more miles on drier ground rather than fight to get a few miles on snow and ice.
    - group rides would be great, but I'm OK exploring on my own.
    - night rides OK too... I'm bringing lights.

    To give you an idea of my experience level: I live in Asheville, NC, on the edge of Bent Creek and Pisgah NF. I would describe myself as having Intermediate level skills (by Pisgah standards), with tons of endurance (have done Shenandoah 100, 6/12 hour and multiple all day adventure races). I like smooth fast and flowy maybe a bit more than technical. In short, XC/AM, but not so much DH; not afraid to climb. I'm originally from Ohio, riding in cold is not a problem.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jugdish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,240
    I'm guessing the search would have told you Buff Creek, bike depends on weather. FTW?
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

  3. #3
    Pivot Rider
    Reputation: Yetigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,088
    Yup! ^^^^what he said!^^^
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,124

    ski?

    January is not the optimal time to ride in CO. Of course, Buff Creek might be ok when you get here. Do you ski?

  5. #5
    lucky enough
    Reputation: cocavaak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    854
    More folks are riding snow bikes these days. You might need one at Buffalo Creek. You also might be interested in the TITS ride - Thursday nights I think near the city. They post often - like each week it seems.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

  6. #6
    endorphin junkie
    Reputation: dobovedo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    January is not the optimal time to ride in CO. Of course, Buff Creek might be ok when you get here. Do you ski?
    Yeah, I know. I didn't get to choose my time of year to visit, since it's a business trip. So I gotta make the best of whatever Mother Nature gives me. I do ski, but in an Ohio/Indiana/North Carolina kinda way.

    In other words... not really.

    Would much rather ride than ski anyway. Sounds like Buff Creek is at the top of the list so far. That was one place mentioned by a friend of a friend here in NC. Here's his comment from Facebook:

    "Google the Jeffco open spaces site. The open spaces that I rode at or were recommended were:Alderfer/Three Sisters and Elk Meadow near Evergreen. White Ranch near Golden. There is Green Mountain and Dakota Ridge and Red Rocks near Morrison. Also about an hour from Denver is Buffalo Creek area."
    Another friend mentioned Salida, but he hasn't actually been there.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,942
    Quote Originally Posted by dobovedo View Post
    Yeah, I know. I didn't get to choose my time of year to visit, since it's a business trip. So I gotta make the best of whatever Mother Nature gives me. I do ski, but in an Ohio/Indiana/North Carolina kinda way.

    In other words... not really.

    Would much rather ride than ski anyway. Sounds like Buff Creek is at the top of the list so far. That was one place mentioned by a friend of a friend here in NC. Here's his comment from Facebook:

    Another friend mentioned Salida, but he hasn't actually been there.
    The wild card is: it's the dead of winter when you're coming. Any and all of the trails we've mentioned could be completely snowed under. If you were asking about a trip in June, all the trails would be fantastic.

    Did I mentioned it could be cold? Real cold. It's 21 degrees right now, up from a low of 4 at my place last night. Most trails are at even higher elevations and colder.

    Yes, there's always a chance we'll be in the middle of a "warm" spell, like 40s-50s and the trails will have dried out from the snow we just got, but just sayin' come here ready to visit brew pubs and such. And ski!
    Last edited by xcguy; 12-27-2012 at 12:05 PM.
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

  8. #8
    Climbs = necessary evil
    Reputation: rogerfromco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    643
    Closer to Denver at the lower elevation is the highest probability for trails clear enough to ride without a fat bike. Check out Green Mountain, Matthew Winters and Bear Creek Lake Park. You can combine them as one big loop if you want a long ride.

    Sent from my Android - because Carrier Pigeons are slow!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,510
    I would definitely scratch salida off the list right away. It's around a 2 1/2 hour drive in the summer and 285 can get pretty darn icy. I am guessing the trails will be holding snow too but you never know.

    I think your best bet is a snowbike at buffalo creek.

    2nd best option is elk meadows/bergen peak/3 sisters and get a snowbike. Lots of people hike there so it might be better than other spots.

    Green Mountain will bore you to death but it is definitely a place to ride. It's the only local jeffco trail that you can ride at night. Unless you have ample room i would ditch the lights.

    Another option is pueblo. It's two hours from denver but lower in elevation and now that i think about it, probably your best bet for snow free riding.

    Shoot me a pm a few days before your arrival date and i can give you the lowdown on what to ride. If it's on the weekend I might be able to give you a tour as long as you bring the beer.

  10. #10
    endorphin junkie
    Reputation: dobovedo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450 View Post
    I would definitely scratch salida off the list right away. It's around a 2 1/2 hour drive in the summer and 285 can get pretty darn icy. I am guessing the trails will be holding snow too but you never know.

    I think your best bet is a snowbike at buffalo creek.

    2nd best option is elk meadows/bergen peak/3 sisters and get a snowbike. Lots of people hike there so it might be better than other spots.

    Green Mountain will bore you to death but it is definitely a place to ride. It's the only local jeffco trail that you can ride at night. Unless you have ample room i would ditch the lights.

    Another option is pueblo. It's two hours from denver but lower in elevation and now that i think about it, probably your best bet for snow free riding.

    Shoot me a pm a few days before your arrival date and i can give you the lowdown on what to ride. If it's on the weekend I might be able to give you a tour as long as you bring the beer.
    I'm definitely seeing recurring suggestions from various sources, and thanks for the evaluation of Green Mountain. I got that impression as well.

    I'm gonna go ahead and reserve a snow bike... that way I'll be sure to have one, but can switch to HT if it's unusually dry. The days I can ride are a Sat/Sun/Mon, so definitely open to guided tours and of course I'd bring the beer. I hear ya got a couple decent ones out there. (BTW, I just checked out the new Oskar Blues location in Brevard, NC yesterday. Awesome!)
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

  11. #11
    endorphin junkie
    Reputation: dobovedo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    422
    Checked the 10-day forecast and it's looking pretty sweet for next weekend. See attached. Of course the forecast can change drastically, so I"m not holding my breath.

    Based on the advice I've gotten here and elsewhere, I have a rental lined up for a snow-bike. I figure even if there's no snow and the trails are dry, at least I'll have something to ride. And I can probably change the rental last minute to a non-fatty.

    Here's my current plan for trails/breweries:
    Saturday - Pick up bike > AM Marshall Mesa/Doudy Draw > Lunch @ Avery > PM Walker Ranch > Sunset on Flagstaff Mtn > Dinner @ Twisted Pine
    Sunday - Buffalo Creek pretty much all day > Dinner @ Downtown Denver area pubs TBD
    Monday - AM Alderfer/3 Sisters and/or Bergen > "Lunch" @ Strange > PM Mathews Winters/Green Mountain (w/ lights) > drop off bike > Dinner @ Breckenridge

    Alternate plan: If I can pick up bike on Friday night and have more time Saturday morning, hit Heil Valley instead of MM/DD.

    This seems to group things together somewhat and gives me a variety of ride experiences (I think) and should hit some good scenic highlights/vistas. All subject to change of course, and I can add/drop trails as time allows.

    Anyone see any flaws in my plan?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by dobovedo View Post
    Checked the 10-day forecast and it's looking pretty sweet for next weekend. See attached. Of course the forecast can change drastically, so I"m not holding my breath.

    Based on the advice I've gotten here and elsewhere, I have a rental lined up for a snow-bike. I figure even if there's no snow and the trails are dry, at least I'll have something to ride. And I can probably change the rental last minute to a non-fatty.

    Here's my current plan for trails/breweries:
    Saturday - Pick up bike > AM Marshall Mesa/Doudy Draw > Lunch @ Avery > PM Walker Ranch > Sunset on Flagstaff Mtn > Dinner @ Twisted Pine
    Sunday - Buffalo Creek pretty much all day > Dinner @ Downtown Denver area pubs TBD
    Monday - AM Alderfer/3 Sisters and/or Bergen > "Lunch" @ Strange > PM Mathews Winters/Green Mountain (w/ lights) > drop off bike > Dinner @ Breckenridge

    Alternate plan: If I can pick up bike on Friday night and have more time Saturday morning, hit Heil Valley instead of MM/DD.

    This seems to group things together somewhat and gives me a variety of ride experiences (I think) and should hit some good scenic highlights/vistas. All subject to change of course, and I can add/drop trails as time allows.

    Anyone see any flaws in my plan?
    Heading to Pueblo on Saturday, if you want to meet up and come your more then welcome to go.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,942
    Quote Originally Posted by dobovedo View Post
    Checked the 10-day forecast and it's looking pretty sweet for next weekend. See attached. Of course the forecast can change drastically, so I"m not holding my breath.

    Based on the advice I've gotten here and elsewhere, I have a rental lined up for a snow-bike. I figure even if there's no snow and the trails are dry, at least I'll have something to ride. And I can probably change the rental last minute to a non-fatty.

    Here's my current plan for trails/breweries:
    Saturday - Pick up bike > AM Marshall Mesa/Doudy Draw > Lunch @ Avery > PM Walker Ranch > Sunset on Flagstaff Mtn > Dinner @ Twisted Pine
    Sunday - Buffalo Creek pretty much all day > Dinner @ Downtown Denver area pubs TBD
    Monday - AM Alderfer/3 Sisters and/or Bergen > "Lunch" @ Strange > PM Mathews Winters/Green Mountain (w/ lights) > drop off bike > Dinner @ Breckenridge

    Alternate plan: If I can pick up bike on Friday night and have more time Saturday morning, hit Heil Valley instead of MM/DD.

    This seems to group things together somewhat and gives me a variety of ride experiences (I think) and should hit some good scenic highlights/vistas. All subject to change of course, and I can add/drop trails as time allows.

    Anyone see any flaws in my plan?
    All the rides you've listed are good. Make sure you get to Walker as early as you can. It's not that epic a ride but it is steep and if you're having to deal with ice it could take forever.

    Remember Vine Street as a place to get great brews and food (17th and Vine, Denver).

    Going from Bergen back to Denver to go to Strange (yes, a great place but it's really a long drive from Bergen) to then go back up to Matthews/Winters, that's a lot of driving.
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

  14. #14
    endorphin junkie
    Reputation: dobovedo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    All the rides you've listed are good. Make sure you get to Walker as early as you can. It's not that epic a ride but it is steep and if you're having to deal with ice it could take forever.

    Remember Vine Street as a place to get great brews and food (17th and Vine, Denver).

    Going from Bergen back to Denver to go to Strange (yes, a great place but it's really a long drive from Bergen) to then go back up to Matthews/Winters, that's a lot of driving.
    Thanks for the tips. Should I swap AM & PM on Sat. to do Walker first? The only reason I picked it the way I did was sunset @ Flagstaff, which isn't that big a priority. I'd rather optimize the riding.

    Vine Street is on my list to hit later in the week (the biz portion of my trip).

    Strange does involve a lot of driving, but I figure by then I'll need a break after 2 1/2 days of riding. And Mathews Winters is close to where I have to return the bike in Golden. If I'm short on time I can hit Golden City instead, and go to Strange later in the week.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

  15. #15
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,738
    Quote Originally Posted by dobovedo View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Should I swap AM & PM on Sat. to do Walker first? The only reason I picked it the way I did was sunset @ Flagstaff, which isn't that big a priority. I'd rather optimize the riding.

    Vine Street is on my list to hit later in the week (the biz portion of my trip).

    Strange does involve a lot of driving, but I figure by then I'll need a break after 2 1/2 days of riding. And Mathews Winters is close to where I have to return the bike in Golden. If I'm short on time I can hit Golden City instead, and go to Strange later in the week.
    Go hit Ironworks in Lakewood instead of all that driving. Or go hit up the new Cannonball Run brewery in Golden.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jugdish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,240
    That's a big three days for someone out of state, especially with lunch @ brew pubs in between. Let us know how you do.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,942
    I saw a couple of guys working on their bikes at around 9am one summer's morning on a neighbor's lawn. Was going to be 100 degrees later. They were from out of state, this was their one and only day for riding and told me their itinerary: (something like) Walker Ranch, then Heil, then Golden Gate State Park then finish up at Deer Creek Canon. All in one day. And it was 9am already and their bikes were in pieces on the grass.

    I said, good luck with that!
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

  18. #18
    insert sarcasm here
    Reputation: gbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    332
    Looks like a good itinerary, however personally I would make one small change. When you ride Matthew winters, I would definitely loop it up with Dakota Ridge rather than/in addition to green mountain. It's basically a short 10 minute climb up to a ridge, followed by some glorious rocky tech along the ridge. One of my favorite trails on the front range. Pm me if you want more info on how to loop it with MW, it's quite simple.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: danaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    413
    Not to be a buzz kill ! BUT, regardless of your age and fitness, not having ridden out here, your itinerary is rich. I hope you can do all you have planned but consider you may not be able to fit all these rides in. Besides drive time, riding out here is strenuous at best, riding in cold temperatures and very varied conditions this time of year ups the difficulty. See how you feel after the first ride or two and gage what you have left, ou might be surprised !

    I've heard Buffalo Creek has a lot of snow, a big day out there is, well, a big day. Heil, pretty demanding if you do all of it, add Hall for a good sized day. Walker could be treacherous if it's icy. Mathews/Dakota, short but demanding, most techy riding around here.

    If you do two Jeffco parks in a day, I'd say, that's a day ! Choose wisely and have a great time.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,942
    Idea: one ride, rest of day in a brew pub. Repeat as necessary. It is January after all.
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

  21. #21
    endorphin junkie
    Reputation: dobovedo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by danaco View Post
    Not to be a buzz kill ! BUT, regardless of your age and fitness, not having ridden out here, your itinerary is rich. I hope you can do all you have planned but consider you may not be able to fit all these rides in. Besides drive time, riding out here is strenuous at best, riding in cold temperatures and very varied conditions this time of year ups the difficulty. See how you feel after the first ride or two and gage what you have left, ou might be surprised !

    I've heard Buffalo Creek has a lot of snow, a big day out there is, well, a big day. Heil, pretty demanding if you do all of it, add Hall for a good sized day. Walker could be treacherous if it's icy. Mathews/Dakota, short but demanding, most techy riding around here.

    If you do two Jeffco parks in a day, I'd say, that's a day ! Choose wisely and have a great time.
    I'm picking this reply to quote in particular, but thanks to everyone who has provided feedback. This information is invaluable because I have two big unknowns:
    1 - Average Speed: I don't have any clue how fast I will ride these various trail systems, compared to what I ride here in WNC. What we have here is called "Pisgah Miles". A whole lotta steep, super hard techy miles of trails with lots of hike-a-bike, and tough trail conditions year round. We use a rule of thumb that Pisgah miles = 5 mph. Other areas, like Bent Creek in my backyard I'm more like 8-9 mph, even with a typical elevation gain of 150' per mile. Some trail systems around here are faster/smoother and it almost seems like road riding (which I also do a lot of as well).
    2 - Altitude: I don't know how this will affect me. Here at home I spend a fair amount of time at 3500-5000', which is close to the top end of what we have for mountain biking. I've also spent the past couple weekends on the Blue Ridge Parkway on my road bike, with lots of time between 4000-6000'. Even so, I'm expecting this to be a factor.

    Another big factor will be scenery. I may spend half my time stopping and taking pictures. LOL

    I have a feeling that most of you are correct, I've overestimated how much I can do. I'm fine with that. My approach is to over-plan and drop stuff if I run out of time or energy, rather than under-plan and waste time figuring out what to do or where to go next.

    Just about everything is expendable. If I'm having a blast out on the trails, I'll skip the brewpubs, grab a quick bite, and keep riding. If I'm spent or otherwise content with riding, I'll leave it to just one trail system and go drink some beer.

    Thanks also for the various tips about trail conditions and suggested options. I'm makin' notes and keeping an eye on your trail conditions thread. Everything here is flexible and I'll see what develops in the coming week.

    Cheers!
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by dobovedo View Post
    I'm picking this reply to quote in particular, but thanks to everyone who has provided feedback. This information is invaluable because I have two big unknowns:
    1 - Average Speed: I don't have any clue how fast I will ride these various trail systems, compared to what I ride here in WNC. What we have here is called "Pisgah Miles". A whole lotta steep, super hard techy miles of trails with lots of hike-a-bike, and tough trail conditions year round. We use a rule of thumb that Pisgah miles = 5 mph. Other areas, like Bent Creek in my backyard I'm more like 8-9 mph, even with a typical elevation gain of 150' per mile. Some trail systems around here are faster/smoother and it almost seems like road riding (which I also do a lot of as well).
    2 - Altitude: I don't know how this will affect me. Here at home I spend a fair amount of time at 3500-5000', which is close to the top end of what we have for mountain biking. I've also spent the past couple weekends on the Blue Ridge Parkway on my road bike, with lots of time between 4000-6000'. Even so, I'm expecting this to be a factor.

    Another big factor will be scenery. I may spend half my time stopping and taking pictures. LOL

    I have a feeling that most of you are correct, I've overestimated how much I can do. I'm fine with that. My approach is to over-plan and drop stuff if I run out of time or energy, rather than under-plan and waste time figuring out what to do or where to go next.

    Just about everything is expendable. If I'm having a blast out on the trails, I'll skip the brewpubs, grab a quick bite, and keep riding. If I'm spent or otherwise content with riding, I'll leave it to just one trail system and go drink some beer.

    Thanks also for the various tips about trail conditions and suggested options. I'm makin' notes and keeping an eye on your trail conditions thread. Everything here is flexible and I'll see what develops in the coming week.

    Cheers!
    If you ride Pisgah and bent creek you will be fine riding here except for maybe getting used to elevation but your not heading to the mountains so you should be fine, If you can do 25+ mile days in ashville you can do it here. Have a Blast
    Come back in the summer and its a whole new world with mountain resort riding add in some fruita and maybe curt gowdy and you might not ever go home.
    Last edited by richccc; 01-13-2013 at 07:58 AM.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,942
    Do your best to hook up with local riders (like through pms here), ride wherever they're riding. Like richccc says, there's a world of difference between mid-January and summer riding here. Save hitting all the epic spots for the right time of the year and this visit, just connect with locals and get a feel for the area. And the beer.
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ironbrewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    312
    If you are going to eat in Denver and like good beer. I would go to Falling Rock. Its were all the brewers go to drink beer during the GABF (Great American Beer Festival). They have an amazing beer selection and the staff actually have good beer knowledge. On the riding side in January I wouldn't even want to suggest anything because conditions can change so quickly. Maybe southern New Mexico??

  25. #25
    t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Reputation: PBR me!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,764
    I did not read through every post above^ but Green mtn can be turned into plenty of fun if you hit the right trails and add in Dakota if you want some tech. (btw -GM is Lakewood and not jeffco.) so you can ride there at night.

    Evergreen has some good trails that get lots of foot traffic therefore can be ridden on regular ol mountain bikes- weve been riding "all season" long for years on these bikes

    buff creek is great in the winter!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

    the blog

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    187
    A couple of links that may be of use to you:

    Open Space Parks & Maps - Open Space - Jefferson County, CO

    Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation

    The Jeffco link has the parks along with downloadable maps. The cotrip link has the road conditions but more useful, the webcams.

    There is still a fair amount of snow here in Evergreen that has not melted off. Current temps are 10*, snow flurries forecast through the night but the extended forecast is to warm up. Lots of trees at Bergen and Sisters so expect there to be snow/ice even with the temps warming up.

    I would love to have a snow bike and head to Buff Creek right now!

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    187


    Elk Meadow/Bergen Peak 13/01/13

  28. #28
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: Walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,096

    Before you get too carried away...

    Please keep in mind that warm temps often mean you *can't* ride in winter in CO, because the moisture plus all the clay in the soil combine to make terrible muck that A) destroys your bike, and B) makes an awful mess of the trail come summer. It's not Pisgah where the trail can be ridden wet and stay undamaged - you literally can destroy a trail to the point where it has to be rebuilt/rehabbed if it's wet out. A good rule of thumb is if there's snow on the north sides of buildings, you probably shouldn't be riding unless it's very cold and the mud is frozen.

    Not trying to be a buzzkill, but January is pretty much the worst time to try to ride bikes in CO. I hope you get great conditions but if I were you I'd plan on doing something on snow rather than rolling the dice on finding dry trails.

    -Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.com/blog/
    instagram.com/waltworks/

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: petersbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    156
    Go ahead and get the snow bike and do not worry about ditching it even if the trails are dry . People are riding these in 24 hour races in the dead of summer out here . Rigid and actually fairly light and super fun. think under 30 lbs with some in the 24 lb range. They are a hoot. Go to Buff creek if you have the chance, super flowy.

  30. #30
    endorphin junkie
    Reputation: dobovedo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    422
    Day 1 report: Managed to get in all the trails I wanted to... with a couple modifications to itinerary.

    Since I picked up the bike Friday night, I went further north and did Hall/Heil

    At Hall I did Bitterbrush L/U and the Nelson Loop. Lower Bitterbrush was an interesting way to A) ride my first Colorado trail, B) on a rented bike that is C) fully rigid, with D) 4" wide tires. Talk about baptism by fire! I struggled quite a bit at first, and hike a biked a lot of what I would probably ride on my full suspension at home, but it was plenty fun anyway. On Upper I started to get the hang of the bike and by the time I did Nelson and came back down I was having big fun. Saw lots of wildlife (rabbits, prairie dogs, deer (?), including a buck with quite a few points (couldn't get a count).

    After that I did Heil. Picture Rock was a blast, both up and down. Except for maybe the last mile going up. I'd say it gets rocky, but it's of course nothing compared to Wild Turkey (southern end) and the Ponderosa Loop. Sheesh.. do people really think that's a fun kind of riding? Maybe on a FS... but not fully rigid.

    Note: I discovered what good handlebar grips feel like. The ones on my rental bike have a lot of cushion but still feel solid/in-control. I just have stock ones on all my bikes at home - had no idea what I was missing!

    Stopped in that local bike shop in Lyons. Good guys! Chatted a bit, got some advice against riding Walker, then decided to ignore the advice and went to ride it anyway.

    Holy crap that loop is a lot of work. I'm used to hike-a-bike and being frustrated in Pisgah NF, but this trail may be the hardest thing I've ever... walked. I did it counter-clockwise and the rideable parts are really fun, but sheesh it's a lot of work the rest of the time. The scenery though... wow! riding late in the afternoon had great lighting for photos, and I got to see an awesome sunset/twilight, just as I got to the top of the ridge (Mile 7).

    I'll post up some photos/video later in the week.

    After all that I managed to do a few sampler sizes at both Twisted Pine (Excellent!) and Avery (good, but not as good as TP) I had to be real careful on imbibing with little sleep, a ton of riding, higher elevations and no food until I got to TP. Best of each that I tried: TP's Baltic Porter and A's Bolder Weisse.

    What a day! And tomorrow is another... Buffalo Creek is still my plan. Wish I had some trail reports but I guess I'll just have to go explore and see what's out there.

    Cheers!
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

  31. #31
    endorphin junkie
    Reputation: dobovedo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    422
    Day 2:

    Tried Buff Creek in the AM. Cold as hell. Snow on BC road shoulda been my first warning, but I'm a glutton for punishment. Tried to go up Hello Kitty (Nice Kitty), mostly covered in 2-4" of snow. Rode some, pushed some, repeat every 10th mile. Gave up after about 2.5 miles. The ride back down was fun tho!

    Shoulda gave up at that point, but see earlier remark about glutton for punishment. Went on up Buff Creek Rd. looking for trails that might be more south facing. Got all the way to Baldy, which was a struggle in itself. Only made it about a half mile up the trail before turning around and heading to car. Got 15 miles total out of it, and quite a workout.

    Since I still had time, I headed to Alderfer/3 Sisters since it was closest of the places on my list to hit. Did E. Evergreen, Summit/Loop, W. Ever., Ranch View. Then went back over to the other side and played around on various bits of Fawn, Ponderosa, Homestead and the Sisters loop clockwise. That was big fun and saved my day, since Buff Creek was more work than fun.

    Day 3:

    First thing in the AM, I went to Elk Meadow and "rode" up to Bergen Peak, then came down via Too Long. I cleaned a lot of stuff I didn't know I could clean, then had a stupid little endo on a hidden rock, coming down Too Long. Ended up with a nice hematoma on my left calf. It was swelled up and hurtin', but I kept on riding and then headed over to Mathews/Winters.

    Started out on Dakota Ridge... wow that's some techy riding! I think I was clipped out more than in, but again, managed some stuff I wouldn't have thought I could do. (maybe it was the bike?) Scared the crap out of myself quite a few times, but when I made it safely down, I still wanted more, so I went up Red Rocks and Morrison Slide on the south end. A bunch of hikers told me there was a lot of ice on the north end of Morrison so I went back down the south end and continued on around on Red Rocks. I got done by about 3pm and even though I had a couple hours of daylight left, I called it quits, returned the bike, and went looking for some beer samples at Cannonball Creek and GBC.

    So... the only thing I didn't do that was on my agenda was Green Mountain, and that was optional.

    3 days, 7 different trail areas, 15+ hours moving time, 20 hours total, 77 miles, 7700' of climbing (a "perfect" 100' per mile), one minor injury, and a ton of great photos.

    In January. I'd say I got a helluva lot of good luck and made the most of it. Thanks to everyone who chimed in with suggestions and trail condition reports. Can't wait to come back in warmer months!
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,942
    You did good, man. You lucked out on he weather and you went out and rode. Come back in the summer and bring your FS.
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •