Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Native Portlander here, wanted to move to Bend for the past 10 years or so. Finally giving up on that dream and looking at the front range area instead (Boulder area). Did a road trip to the front range last summer to do some recon and I have to say I was impressed (not just in terms of riding). Didn't spend much time in Golden, but it would be a much better option over Boulder in terms of access to skiing and trails. Boulder was "prettier" IMO, the pictures you see of the Flatirons on the web didn't do any justice to them at all.

Bend is pretty much in a class by itself when it comes to mtb'ing - not only are there (almost) limitless trails, but there seems to be new trails being built all the time. The trail access issues that I have read about on the front range appear to be almost non-existant in Bend (at least from an outsiders perspective).

Mt Bachelor might not be able to compare to the glitzier resorts in the Rockies, but it takes less than 30 minutes to get there and has a great mix of nordic and lift access (of which I am sure you are aware).

The weather in Bend is nice, the weather on the front range is awesome (this is a huge bonus for me). The beer in Bend is hard to beat; I wish Boneyard IPA was as ubiquitous as Bud Light, and Deschutes always has several great beers on tap that make me wonder why they don't bottle more of them.

On my road trip I did rides in Fruita, Crested Butte, and Boulder. None of the trails I rode put as big a smile on my face as riding Mrazek out to Happy Valley and back or the Swampy - South/North Fork - Flagline loop. I think I could make do with the front range riding, though The road riding in Boulder seems to be top notch as well, although it's a bit more image conscious than Beverly Hills.

I think I would be thrilled to live in either area

Tribe member
    @Sketchbook - I'm going to be visiting Bend in a few weeks to check out the area. My wife and I are considering a move to either there or Boise. How about we just trade houses?!

mtbr member
    @lil stink thanks for the info.

@feltbee. Totally. I'll trade ya houses for a short spell. For real. Where do you live?

Email me joe @ sketchbookinc dot com

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I moved from Portland to Golden 5 years ago. I've ridden a ton in Bend and love their trails Much of this has already been said, but the trails here are much steeper and less forgiving than Bend. When I was recovering from a knee injury I really missed Mrazek and Phils. I have a ton of fun on the trails here in Golden, but they lack the flow of Bend, Oakridge, etc.

There are numerous trails in Golden, and you can sort of link them - but its nothing like the trail network in Bend. i.e. You can't roll out your back door and have numerous 20 mile loop options. You also have more trail conflict issues here. One of my favorite trail signs ever (from Bend) is the "Closed to Horses Due to User Conflict". You won't find that sign here - Horses, while the minority have a strong influence. Tons of people move to Denver thinking CO is the bomb - so you have a huge population who moved here just to recreate in the mtns. Not an issue if you ride at odd times.

All that being said, I love living in Golden. And I think you have more options here. You can ride to several trails from home, several more at under 30 min drive. There are a ton of amazing daytrips within 60-120 min drive. Almost unlimited weekend options. We camp 6-8 times a year and still have a list of new biking destinations. Also, people here are SUPER friendly. They are very welcoming to transplants, unlike other places I have lived.

Regarding beer, the NW is the bomb! Took me a year to get into CO beers - now I love em, but have a soft spot for OR/WA/CA beers. We finally have a booming nano-brewery thing going. I heard there will be 5 nano/micro breweries in Golden by end of 2013.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Re: Oskar Blues: I have a hard time embracing canned beer having quaffed many an Old Milwaukee, Brown Derby,..., etc.

Would somebody please help me? I would love to enjoy OB but being saddled with memories of days long gone drinking crappy beer I am having a hard time.

Perhaps the optimal recycling of alu cans could sway me?

GCB is top notch and right in downtown Golden. Big plus for Golden

Are you a nordic skier? XC skiing is better in Bend than Golden, IMO. Frisco Nordic is through the tunnel and basically inaccessible on weekends. Same for Gold Run Nordic, Breckenridge Nordic, etc. Eldora Nordic is not to my liking; big fee and variable grooming with walkers, dogs, skaters trashing classic tracks, etc.

MBNA in Wyoming is top notch but 2:15 away.

If you have travel a lot DEN is only 35 min away from Golden with flights everywhere.

But having said all that, I like the politics, especially as related to the environment, better in Oregon than Colorado. Alu cans?

mtbr member
    You want Durango:
    5 brew pubs
    miles and miles of trails
    easy access to every place you would ever want to ride (all season long)
    minimal traffic
    no interstate
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman View Post
    You want Durango:
    5 brew pubs
    minimal traffic
    no interstate
    Damn straight. I love Salida, but if I could afford to live anywhere chances are it would be d-town. When I got involved in trails advocacy here, my vision of where we should be is Durango. Multiple trailheads within city limits that connect seamlessly to high country trails.

Durango is the bomb.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Durango is the bomb.
    So true! If I could only talk the wife into it (and get a job there).
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

mtbr member
    @slcdawg great info thanks!

@cbrossman I need to visit that place. It's on the top of my list. I would move there tomorrow (assuming my visit worked out) if my wife would let me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman View Post
    You want Durango:
    5 brew pubs
    minimal traffic
    no interstate
    I disagree. The riding here stinks.

On edit: so does the beer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenGeezer View Post
    Re: Oskar Blues: I have a hard time embracing canned beer having quaffed many an Old Milwaukee, Brown Derby,..., etc.

Would somebody please help me? I would love to enjoy OB but being saddled with memories of days long gone drinking crappy beer I am having a hard time.

Perhaps the optimal recycling of alu cans could sway me?

GCB is top notch and right in downtown Golden. Big plus for Golden

Are you a nordic skier? XC skiing is better in Bend than Golden, IMO. Frisco Nordic is through the tunnel and basically inaccessible on weekends. Same for Gold Run Nordic, Breckenridge Nordic, etc. Eldora Nordic is not to my liking; big fee and variable grooming with walkers, dogs, skaters trashing classic tracks, etc.

MBNA in Wyoming is top notch but 2:15 away.

If you have travel a lot DEN is only 35 min away from Golden with flights everywhere.

But having said all that, I like the politics, especially as related to the environment, better in Oregon than Colorado. Alu cans?
    read this, it will explain the cans..

Oskar Blues*|*Brewery History - Oskar Blues

plus, its not just Oskar blues.. everyone is canning these days it seems..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2