Page 1 of 71 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Denver Front Range Trail Conditions

ANY TRAILS RIDE ABLE IN THE DENVER FRONT RANGE? Any update on conditions?

mtbr member
    I am thinking Hall Ranch has to be dry...

webcam http://www.destinationlyons.com/cam.html
    Yield to downhill

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Golden Bike Park is getting close - see other thread.

Maybe, maybe, maybe Green Mtn or the mesa's by the weekend but as it is still a LOT of MUD to be had. Anything in the trees or on the north face not ready. Or, do a dawn patrol although with temps the way they are even that could be sloppy.

mtbr member

Notta thing

Checked 2/16 (wednesday) and Apex, Matthews Winters, and Green Mountain are all a NO go.

Looks like some noob tried to ride Green Mtn from the Rooney lot and made it about 25 yards leaving a 2 inch deep rut and then had to turn around...

Since the trails are not refreezing at night even a dawn patrol doesn't work...

Hopefully with a little wind something will be good to go for the weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Just got back from DBB and Blue Sky, it was 99% bone dry and all ridable from 34 to Horsetooth Res.. Good lord it was windy! Can't really complain though, MTBing in shorts and short sleeves in mid-Feb is a treat.

rubber side down
    Dakota Ridge is a no-go. Needs a few more days. Dakota is usually the first trail rideable after a snowfall...so if Dakota is not ready, everything else is probably not either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by russman
    Dakota Ridge is a no-go. Needs a few more days. Dakota is usually the first trail rideable after a snowfall...so if Dakota is not ready, everything else is probably not either.

I second that. The first climb from MW parking lot is pure clay. Hikers from the top said most of it is unrideable. Mathew Winters isn't even close to being ready. Let's just hope it doesn't snow Sunday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Rode Marshall Mesa yesterday, wish I did something else. It will take more time to clean up than I spent riding. Too muddy.

My cup runneth over
    Rode from my home to Dakota Ridge late this afternoon (Thursday, 2/17/11) and checked out Green Mountain on the way – it was still very wet (just north of the dog park) – would need to be frozen to get me on it right now. Dakota Ridge was great however – I rode up the Dinosaur Ridge road and hit the trail head at the top of the road going south to north. Not completely dry but little to no mud and lots of dry rocks! I did an out and back but didn’t go as far as even the saddle which is almost certainly snow and ice-bound. There was another rider who had come from the I-70 trail head – perhaps he will chime in with a report on the ‘clay’ hill at the beginning of that entry point.

mtbr member
    I'd like to ride Hall this weekend. Anyone scoped it out lately?
    "insert witty comment here"...

mtbr member
    Rock garden to bench is rideable at Hall right now.

FasCat Coaching
    Quote Originally Posted by nitecrwlr
    Rock garden to bench is rideable at Hall right now.
    Any beta beyond that? does it look like it's drying out or could dry out by sunday (pending no rain). Like to out tires to dirt, but I'll hit the roads if I need to wait...
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    Blah, blah Thursday: GM - no good, DR - ridable blah, blah.
    FWIW - same thing Friday PM/evening - swung by GM on the way to DR. GM didn't look much better than Thursday - ugh. I may do a GM dawn patrol Sat. but GM really doesn't look good for the weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    White Ranch, Belcher Hill still has a lot of snow, I'd give it a miss for a few more days. Longer for the more wooded trails up top.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ginni Trail, aka Bob Cat Ridge is good to go. It's a long drive for me coming from Evergreen, but well worth it. I always thought Dakota was the first to dry out but Ginni's forest burn allows for tuns of sun. Conditions where great yesterday, only short muddy sections, the back side of the trail if done as an out and back had snow near the bottom. But nothing bad.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Ginni???

Where is this Ginni (Bob cat) trail?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Outside of Loveland, not far from Devils back bone which also dries quickly, but I don't know what current conditions are. http://netcairns.com/wiki/index.php?title=Front_Range

The link will show you bob cat ridge. The name ginni is not used I don't think but it's the main single track trail in that area, do it as an out n back if you like climbing techy single track, can be done as a loop but I've never rode it that way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Was just out at Golden Park. A few cross-trail streams so not great to ride on the trails right now, but a few more days with this weather and main areas should be sound.
    Snyder

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Dirty Bismarck 99% dry

Couple of very short 5m sections on High Plains a bit wet but easy to ride straight through without going wide. Rest is bone dry

Met a rider who said some MTBers where ripping up the muddy Dowdy Draw to the west

My cup runneth over
    Rode Green Mountain Monday (2/21) frozen (finally). GM trail, Rooney Valley Trail and Hayden trail. It was fantastic for a frozen ride - no snow drifts and little to no ice. I couldn't tell for sure that it would be good thawed though - lots of (rutted) dark spots and small amounts of snow on the trail. Several obviously longer snow melt spots on the Hayden trail but not all completely covering the trail. Should be great for the Thursday T.I.T.S (Through Ice Through Snow) ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Anyone been to Greenland out in Larkspur recently? How is it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Mt. Falcon is not ride-able, lot of mud and ice and lots of bikers/hikers stretching the trail. I was able to ride/hike/walk up 1.3 miles of trail before it was not called for. Lots of Ice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokay
    Couple of very short 5m sections on High Plains a bit wet but easy to ride straight through without going wide. Rest is bone dry

Met a rider who said some MTBers where ripping up the muddy Dowdy Draw to the west
    Is the new section of trail open between singletree and Coalton, or do you still ride McCaslin over the hill?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    It is all open now, the new section is very fast - almost like a road, wide and smooth. Fine by me as it makes for good aerobic training but some folks might find it a bit boring. Actually it wasn't boring yesterday as my QR slide out an inch on one of the descents - never had that before, glad it was a 15.

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    Blah, blah, Green Mountain Monday (2/21) frozen (finally).
    Tuesday night frozen again - Summit Loop still ice and snow packed in many places - bailed back to the road due to lots of walking . Box O' Rox - top is great but when unfrozen probably unrideable between the bridge at the bottom and the dirt road.

Page 1 of 71 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast