mtbr member

Denver Dirt Park (near the skate park)

We may be able to get a pump track (similar to the New Golden Bike Park) really close to the Denver Skate Park.

We already have some important people backing it. What we need is more the storyline to what happened with the Golden Bike Park with Jefferson County and with Golden. What were the major hurdles, costs, unexpected stuff? Can you share the actual plan with us? Does anyone want to help with the planning, etc?

First Golden, then Downtown, then ??????????????????

Thank you for any help you can hook us up with!
    Scott T.
    Salvagetti Bicycle Workshop in Denver
    MOUNTAIN / COMMUTE / TOUR
    http://www.salvagetti.com

mtbr member
    I would love to help out. I have been to gbp a couple of times until they posted signs not to ride until finished. I also showed up on the two build day's that were canceled...

Maybe we can get it done before Golden finished ;-)

My leg feels funny
    I'm going to throw Lee McCormack of http://leelikesbikes.com as someone to contact if you're looking for help at planning (especially a pump track). He helped with Lyons, Lory, and designed the pro pump track at Sea Otter this year. It would be pretty bad a$$ if this got made

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by salvagetti
    We may be able to get a pump track (similar to the New Golden Bike Park) really close to the Denver Skate Park.

We already have some important people backing it. What we need is more the storyline to what happened with the Golden Bike Park with Jefferson County and with Golden. What were the major hurdles, costs, unexpected stuff? Can you share the actual plan with us? Does anyone want to help with the planning, etc?

So is this in addition to the other Denver dirt stuff? If so, cool!
    GBP felt like a looong process to approval, hopefully this one has some grease.
    One major hurdle is that no one wanted a bike park in their backyard. My advice is be flexible with location, size and features.
    Costs are yet to be totalled, but I still think we'd have been better off buying our own cat to use instead of renting.
    The actual plan is a public document, afaik, but I'll see if I have a copy at home. PM me with any more specific questions - I can fill you in on details or refer you to IE.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    So far, we have support from city council members and a spot that is not near any homes or "sensitive" businesses. We will keep you posted. Hopefully this is relatively quick and painless. If we build on GBPs success and get a DBP, we can surely get more going.
    Scott T.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I never got to help out with the GBP like I planned (which I feel terrible for), but since I live only a few blocks away from the possible Denver location...I'd be glad to help in any way possible, and I actually mean it.

I'll be stopping in the store in the next week or so. I'll make sure to talk to you about it.

-Nick

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    S, hey talk to Joe about the relationship we are building with Denver (we being the COMBA BoD). It might be something we can build on in order to make something happen. We'd love to discuss with you more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    dude, GBP approval was ridiculously quick...
    for comparison, both highbridge in NYC and colonnade in seattle were like 10 years in the making. i think valmont talks started a few years back, too.

we got off easy.

scott/joe, i can hook you up w/ the docs-- check yer email tomorrow.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Goofing off?
    If someone needs to present, I can provide any presentation gear complimentary (lcd, mic, screen, ect..) as that is what I do for a living.

ARC Driver
    Let me be perfectly clear here: I want to help. If you need help from me, just say: "dude we could use some help" and I'll help. Serously, let me know if there is anything I can do.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    for comparison, both highbridge in NYC and colonnade in seattle were like 10 years in the making. i think valmont talks started a few years back, too.

we got off easy.

10 years? Are you including construction time in there?
    Golden Bike Park

mtbr member
    10 years? Are you including construction time in there?
    if i recall, i think construction for highbridge was 18 months...
    -

imaorobbie
    Let's start digging. I have all the applicable tools.

Since I'm on the subject, is there a build day for GBP up coming?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    So is this in addition to the other Denver dirt stuff? If so, cool!
    One major hurdle is that no one wanted a bike park in their backyard. My advice is be flexible with location, size and features.
    Costs are yet to be totalled, but I still think we'd have been better off buying our own cat to use instead of renting.
    The actual plan is a public document, afaik, but I'll see if I have a copy at home. PM me with any more specific questions - I can fill you in on details or refer you to IE.
    Is this said dirt stuff publicly known? If so, where would one find it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TCR1
    Is this said dirt stuff publicly known? If so, where would one find it?
    Barnum Park.
    ...had a bit of a false start last year, but rumored to be "on" again. i'm sure the COMBA website will have details once a plan is in place.
    -

My leg feels funny
    Barnum Park.
    ...had a bit of a false start last year, but rumored to be "on" again. i'm sure the COMBA website will have details once a plan is in place.
    I don't know if I'd call that "near the denver skate park"

ARC Driver
    I'm trying to get a build party this weekend in another thread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by liqwid
    I don't know if I'd call that "near the denver skate park"
    Barnum is the other project... looks like Salvagetti has plans near the skate park.

My leg feels funny
    Barnum is the other project... looks like Salvagetti has plans near the skate park.
    Ah, very cool

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have been working with the City of Denver for the past 3 years in planning a small bike skills park- location selected and neighborhood supportive. It WILL be a reality very soon - like this summer. With the success of Ruby Hill Rail Yard (winter time rail park - in conjunction with WP Resort), this was a logical extension of our partnership with the City in the summer. more details to come and volunteers will be selected to pull it off. Hang tight and more official announcements will be made soon.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by TrestleBP
    I have been working with the City of Denver for the past 3 years in planning a small bike skills park- location selected and neighborhood supportive. It WILL be a reality very soon - like this summer. With the success of Ruby Hill Rail Yard (winter time rail park - in conjunction with WP Resort), this was a logical extension of our partnership with the City in the summer. more details to come and volunteers will be selected to pull it off. Hang tight and more official announcements will be made soon.
    Thank you for your hard work! I can't wait to see something rolling over that way - it's right by my office.
    Golden Bike Park

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Let me know if you need a builder for this. I would love to help make this a reality!
    Transition, Shimano, DT Swiss, deity, Maxxis, Dakine, Demon Dirt, MRP, Oakley, VP, Honey Stinger, Grassroots Cycles

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by simcik
    Let me know if you need a builder for this. I would love to help make this a reality!
    Thanks for the offer! There will be hand shaping that needs to be done after the couple dudes from Whistler finish up.

mtbr member
    Thanks Terry! I'm meeting with some folks tomorrow and will get a few more details. For those who are interested, this was our first proposed spot: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=80202&...02411&t=h&z=19
    Scott T.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks Terry! I'm meeting with some folks tomorrow and will get a few more details. For those who are interested, this was our first proposed spot: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=80202&...02411&t=h&z=19
    We walked a number of parks including this site. In the end, the City weighs a number of elements to ensure new projects are serving a variety of parks and communities in their system. This site made the short list but ultimately Barnum Park North was selected. It will be a great park and an amazing community to begin proving the value of bike skills parks.

The goal is for a smaller scale project, like this one, to prove its worth in the park system and then bigger picture can come into focus. When support from the bike industry comes in strong and stays strong (like was shown by the ski industry for Ruby Hill after 4 years) then things will get really fun for us! Key is to get this going and keep it well maintained.

word.

Thread Terrorist
    I would love to sit down and go through the process with you. Terry, Jerry and Nathan and I worked our butts off on this. I'd say that Terry put in a ton of work on the front, pushing when we all were in the doldrums.... ....and we ended up getting it through the Parks & Rec, then council, then the real work starts!
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by TrestleBP

Sweet! Thanks for the work! Let me know how we can help!
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

Thread Terrorist

we got off easy.

And we have you to thank!
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

that is such an awesome spot!!!!

Thread Terrorist
    Not sure if this is advice too late, but one of the things you might consider is going through all the park inventory (or denver owned properties) that could be considered. Do this with the Parks & Rec dept. Getting their input is key prior to going to the P&R board. Getting near water can have all kinds of rules and issues, but you should inquire where something like this might go and get their take. Different area's provide different opportunities.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Not sure if this is advice too late, but one of the things you might consider is going through all the park inventory (or denver owned properties) that could be considered. Do this with the Parks & Rec dept. Getting their input is key prior to going to the P&R board. Getting near water can have all kinds of rules and issues, but you should inquire where something like this might go and get their take. Different area's provide different opportunities.
    Depends on the water system and how far away from the water they really are. If the actual spot is between the railroad tracks and the sidewalk, shouldn't be much issue. I say this because the sidewalk sort of serves as a natural barrier to prevent sedimentation. Construction will still need to use sediment barriers, but there really is no likelyhood of fill entering waters of the US (the South Platte in this case). Then again,I might be seeing a rosey picture because it is a great location for me as it is about a 10-12 minute pedal from work.

One thing that is quite nice about the location is that it is along te bike path, so there is a lot of exposure.

imaorobbie
    I've always thought something along the Sand Creek bikeway would make a great location. Say, around the Denver Urban Farm, roughly Havana and Smith Rd. Just saying. Wherever it goes in, I'll be ready to dig then ride.

mtbr member
    You'll have to contend with a lot of drunken (paying) kickballers to get that spot! I think there are leagues of various activities in that park every day.

There is a dirt BMX course on the highline canal trail down near McLellen Reservoir that is already sanctioned but is overgrown with weeds and stuff. I bet you would have better luck revitalizing / adding to that thing. It isn't really visible from the road either, so folks could have a little seclusion in the woods if that's what they were after. Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnySpitz
    You'll have to contend with a lot of drunken (paying) kickballers to get that spot! I think there are leagues of various activities in that park every day.

There is a dirt BMX course on the highline canal trail down near McLellen Reservoir that is already sanctioned but is overgrown with weeds and stuff. I bet you would have better luck revitalizing / adding to that thing. It isn't really visible from the road either, so folks could have a little seclusion in the woods if that's what they were after. Just my 2 cents.
    Can you send me a link on Google Maps?
    I met with some folks yesterday and it sounds like there is a huge amount of funding for cheap parks like this, so we may be able to get several spots at one time...
    Scott T.

Does Not Belong on a Bike

C.R.E.A.M. Cash Rules Everything Around Me- Wu Tang Clan

Money talks, ideas walk...

Golden was basically, for lack of a better term, strong armed into giving up the space or loose 10K worth of funding for a project relating to bicycles. Do a search on the Golden municipal website and you can find more info.
    I don't really agree with how it was done- just goes to show that a lot of stuff gets pushed through the back door with the facade of going through the normal process, i.e. it was basically approved before public input was weighed. When gov't does this, it just gives them a blacker eye.
    This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hojiman
    Golden was basically, for lack of a better term, strong armed into giving up the space or loose 10K worth of funding for a project relating to bicycles. Do a search on the Golden municipal website and you can find more info.
    I don't really agree with how it was done- just goes to show that a lot of stuff gets pushed through the back door with the facade of going through the normal process, i.e. it was basically approved before public input was weighed. When gov't does this, it just gives them a blacker eye.
    that's an interesting, albeit skewed, take on how events unfolded... largely ignoring the directive from city council that a bike park was a priority for parks & rec, not to mention the numerous public sessions at both parks & rec and ultimately city council (only after the approval from the citizen-based P&R advisory board).

anyhoo, politics is politics, i'll grant you that, but you've oversimplified and misstated the process. we played the game—as defined/ruled by them—and jumped thru all the hoops.

i only wish any bike advocacy org was in a position to "strong arm" anybody... we might get a lot more done!
    (maybe someday when we have the political clout of say, Plan Jeffco).
    -

Does Not Belong on a Bike
    that's an interesting, albeit skewed, take on how events unfolded... largely ignoring the directive from city council that a bike park was a priority for parks & rec, not to mention the numerous public sessions at both parks & rec and ultimately city council (only after the approval from the citizen-based P&R advisory board).

anyhoo, politics is politics, i'll grant you that, but you've oversimplified and misstated the process. we played the game—as defined/ruled by them—and jumped thru all the hoops.

i only wish any bike advocacy org was in a position to "strong arm" anybody... we might get a lot more done!
    (maybe someday when we have the political clout of say, Plan Jeffco).
    Directive aside, strong arm tactics are strong arm tactics.

Sorry, but local gov't does not move at the speed that this park project is. Not saying the carrot or park aren't appreciated, but I would find it safe to go out on a limb and say that no other project would or has moved as fast as this one did from concept to reality.

Not sure if you know exactly how many of the conversations and meetings and such are available online, but I guess there are more than you think.
    This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!

mtbr member

water under the bridge at this point

Sorry, but local gov't does not move at the speed that this park project is. Not saying the carrot or park aren't appreciated, but I would find it safe to go out on a limb and say that no other project would or has moved as fast as this one did from concept to reality.
    Golden Community Garden.

Stand back

Not sure if you know exactly how many of the conversations and meetings and such are available online, but I guess there are more than you think.
    LOL
    Strong arm tactics? You for sure weren't at any of the meetings, and the minutes obviously don't reflect the tone of the comments. For the meetings I attended, there was talk about needing to move quickly in order to make use of available and limited resources, but at no point did the Golden Bike Park Group actually wield any power. If you'd notice, we didn't make the initial deadline (which still wouldn't have kept up with the pace of the Community Garden).
    So what's the point of this slam on the park, anyway? You got something against bikes, or parks, or people putting in a lot of work for something that will benefit the community?
    Golden Bike Park

mtbr member
    Can you send me a link on Google Maps?
    I met with some folks yesterday and it sounds like there is a huge amount of funding for cheap parks like this, so we may be able to get several spots at one time...
    Sorry for the delay there. I was out doing the MS-150 this weekend.

That trail winds back and forth quite a bit so it's hard for me to remember exactly where the track is, but looking at google earth a little bit leads me to believe it is here:
    http://tinyurl.com/247w8vo

That would make it in Littleton though so I'm not sure if that fits your criteria. Next time I ride back there I'll make a waypoint on my Garmin to get the exact location. I'm pretty sure that's it though.

Edit:
    I was able to find this link:
    http://denverbmx.tripod.com/denverbmx/id12.html

Thread Terrorist

Wow. I am amazed at public perception. This was not at all what happened.

As a Golden Bike Park Founder, I would encourage you to inquire about how this was done before making conclusions.

We had been talking with the parks and rec dept for about a year. We went to public meeting (in which the public is always invited). It was on the agenda, many times throughout this process.

The problem is that people don't give a crap about their community until it affect them directly. I am a victim to this statement (as are a few others on this forum) as we realized too late our ideal location for a bike park was being approved for the community gardens. It was on the agenda many times both at the P&R meetings and the city council meetings.

If you want to know about what is going on with your area, you need to be involved.... otherwise you'll get a 4 lane super highway in your front yard.

We worked through a year of Agenda's, expectations, documentation, legal, and planning. Nothing was strong armed.
    Last edited by IndecentExposure; 06-28-2010 at 09:11 AM.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

Thread Terrorist

So, I'd love to understand the underlying motive in what you're trying to convey. You're arguing about government for being quick and efficient? Usually its the other way around.

We were clueless on the process, and had to ask questions everywhere we went. We started with where they asked, and did what they asked. Golden wanted a mtn bike park added to their inventory. They approved it but didn't have the funds to do it. we had motivated riders to get this done.... and did.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

imaorobbie

Poacher

Back on topic, please. More bikes, less politics.

I'm looking at new wheels in anticipation.

Thread Terrorist
    So it looks as if TrestleBP is working on a bike park, as well as the original poster. Have you two gotten together on this? Denver may have this streamlined the process, and TrestleBP might have the fast track access to this.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park