Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Denver Dirt Park (near the skate park)

We may be able to get a pump track (similar to the New Golden Bike Park) really close to the Denver Skate Park.

We already have some important people backing it. What we need is more the storyline to what happened with the Golden Bike Park with Jefferson County and with Golden. What were the major hurdles, costs, unexpected stuff? Can you share the actual plan with us? Does anyone want to help with the planning, etc?

First Golden, then Downtown, then ??????????????????

Thank you for any help you can hook us up with!
    Scott T.
    Salvagetti Bicycle Workshop in Denver
    MOUNTAIN / COMMUTE / TOUR
    http://www.salvagetti.com

mtbr member
    I would love to help out. I have been to gbp a couple of times until they posted signs not to ride until finished. I also showed up on the two build day's that were canceled...

Maybe we can get it done before Golden finished ;-)

My leg feels funny
    I'm going to throw Lee McCormack of http://leelikesbikes.com as someone to contact if you're looking for help at planning (especially a pump track). He helped with Lyons, Lory, and designed the pro pump track at Sea Otter this year. It would be pretty bad a$$ if this got made

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by salvagetti
    We may be able to get a pump track (similar to the New Golden Bike Park) really close to the Denver Skate Park.

We already have some important people backing it. What we need is more the storyline to what happened with the Golden Bike Park with Jefferson County and with Golden. What were the major hurdles, costs, unexpected stuff? Can you share the actual plan with us? Does anyone want to help with the planning, etc?

First Golden, then Downtown, then ??????????????????

Thank you for any help you can hook us up with!
    So is this in addition to the other Denver dirt stuff? If so, cool!
    GBP felt like a looong process to approval, hopefully this one has some grease.
    One major hurdle is that no one wanted a bike park in their backyard. My advice is be flexible with location, size and features.
    Costs are yet to be totalled, but I still think we'd have been better off buying our own cat to use instead of renting.
    The actual plan is a public document, afaik, but I'll see if I have a copy at home. PM me with any more specific questions - I can fill you in on details or refer you to IE.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    So far, we have support from city council members and a spot that is not near any homes or "sensitive" businesses. We will keep you posted. Hopefully this is relatively quick and painless. If we build on GBPs success and get a DBP, we can surely get more going.
    Scott T.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I never got to help out with the GBP like I planned (which I feel terrible for), but since I live only a few blocks away from the possible Denver location...I'd be glad to help in any way possible, and I actually mean it.

I'll be stopping in the store in the next week or so. I'll make sure to talk to you about it.

-Nick

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    S, hey talk to Joe about the relationship we are building with Denver (we being the COMBA BoD). It might be something we can build on in order to make something happen. We'd love to discuss with you more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    dude, GBP approval was ridiculously quick...
    for comparison, both highbridge in NYC and colonnade in seattle were like 10 years in the making. i think valmont talks started a few years back, too.

we got off easy.

scott/joe, i can hook you up w/ the docs-- check yer email tomorrow.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Goofing off?
    If someone needs to present, I can provide any presentation gear complimentary (lcd, mic, screen, ect..) as that is what I do for a living.

ARC Driver
    Let me be perfectly clear here: I want to help. If you need help from me, just say: "dude we could use some help" and I'll help. Serously, let me know if there is anything I can do.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    dude, GBP approval was ridiculously quick...
    for comparison, both highbridge in NYC and colonnade in seattle were like 10 years in the making. i think valmont talks started a few years back, too.

we got off easy.

scott/joe, i can hook you up w/ the docs-- check yer email tomorrow.
    10 years? Are you including construction time in there?
    Golden Bike Park

mtbr member
    10 years? Are you including construction time in there?
    if i recall, i think construction for highbridge was 18 months...
    -

imaorobbie
    Let's start digging. I have all the applicable tools.

Since I'm on the subject, is there a build day for GBP up coming?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    So is this in addition to the other Denver dirt stuff? If so, cool!
    One major hurdle is that no one wanted a bike park in their backyard. My advice is be flexible with location, size and features.
    Costs are yet to be totalled, but I still think we'd have been better off buying our own cat to use instead of renting.
    The actual plan is a public document, afaik, but I'll see if I have a copy at home. PM me with any more specific questions - I can fill you in on details or refer you to IE.
    Is this said dirt stuff publicly known? If so, where would one find it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TCR1
    Is this said dirt stuff publicly known? If so, where would one find it?
    Barnum Park.
    ...had a bit of a false start last year, but rumored to be "on" again. i'm sure the COMBA website will have details once a plan is in place.
    -

My leg feels funny
    Barnum Park.
    ...had a bit of a false start last year, but rumored to be "on" again. i'm sure the COMBA website will have details once a plan is in place.
    I don't know if I'd call that "near the denver skate park"

ARC Driver
    I'm trying to get a build party this weekend in another thread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by liqwid
    I don't know if I'd call that "near the denver skate park"
    Barnum is the other project... looks like Salvagetti has plans near the skate park.

My leg feels funny
    Barnum is the other project... looks like Salvagetti has plans near the skate park.
    Ah, very cool

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have been working with the City of Denver for the past 3 years in planning a small bike skills park- location selected and neighborhood supportive. It WILL be a reality very soon - like this summer. With the success of Ruby Hill Rail Yard (winter time rail park - in conjunction with WP Resort), this was a logical extension of our partnership with the City in the summer. more details to come and volunteers will be selected to pull it off. Hang tight and more official announcements will be made soon.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by TrestleBP
    I have been working with the City of Denver for the past 3 years in planning a small bike skills park- location selected and neighborhood supportive. It WILL be a reality very soon - like this summer. With the success of Ruby Hill Rail Yard (winter time rail park - in conjunction with WP Resort), this was a logical extension of our partnership with the City in the summer. more details to come and volunteers will be selected to pull it off. Hang tight and more official announcements will be made soon.
    Thank you for your hard work! I can't wait to see something rolling over that way - it's right by my office.
    Golden Bike Park

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Let me know if you need a builder for this. I would love to help make this a reality!
    Transition, Shimano, DT Swiss, deity, Maxxis, Dakine, Demon Dirt, MRP, Oakley, VP, Honey Stinger, Grassroots Cycles

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by simcik
    Let me know if you need a builder for this. I would love to help make this a reality!
    Thanks for the offer! There will be hand shaping that needs to be done after the couple dudes from Whistler finish up.

mtbr member
    Thanks Terry! I'm meeting with some folks tomorrow and will get a few more details. For those who are interested, this was our first proposed spot: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=80202&...02411&t=h&z=19
    Scott T.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by salvagetti
    Thanks Terry! I'm meeting with some folks tomorrow and will get a few more details. For those who are interested, this was our first proposed spot: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=80202&...02411&t=h&z=19
    We walked a number of parks including this site. In the end, the City weighs a number of elements to ensure new projects are serving a variety of parks and communities in their system. This site made the short list but ultimately Barnum Park North was selected. It will be a great park and an amazing community to begin proving the value of bike skills parks.

The goal is for a smaller scale project, like this one, to prove its worth in the park system and then bigger picture can come into focus. When support from the bike industry comes in strong and stays strong (like was shown by the ski industry for Ruby Hill after 4 years) then things will get really fun for us! Key is to get this going and keep it well maintained.

word.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast