Thread: Denver commute?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Denver commute?

Anyone commute from the north 'burbs into Denver?

I live around 120th & Pecos and want to start commuting to work. I work aroung Colfax & Colorado. Anyone ride close to that? How long does it take you and is there a good route to take? I downloaded a bike path app to my iphone and it said it would take about 2 hours. The route was a really windy way taking only paths and roads with a designated bike lane. There has to be a shorter way...I hope. And, one that takes a lot less time

Chairman of the Beard
    You got a ways to go there no matter how you do it, but it looks like you can get on the Platte River trail relatively quickly and take that most of the way down. Once you get off that and start heading towards Colfax you'll just have to experiment with different roads and see if some are better than others.

My advice would be to head out on the weekend and explore while you're not in a hurry to get to work and try to work out the best route to and from the Platte River trail from ground level. The maps only tell you so much, and there may be paths that connect stuff up that aren't on the maps.

Also Google is your friend. You can also use Strava Explore sometimes to find segments.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If you can get to 104th and Lowell, you have a straight shot into the Highlands area. From there, take Lowell to 23rd, 23rd to the Cherry Creek trail (which you can pick up by the REI flagship), Cherry Creek Trail to 12th Ave and 12th Ave to Colorado.

Lowell was my main route when I commuted to Boulder via bike and 12th Ave is a bike route from Spear to Colorado.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thaks guys. I am definitely going to test this out on the weekend before I start commuting. I'm sure I can find relatively direct route...hopefully

mtbr member
    The quickest way would be straight down Washington St. until it turns into Downing St. Take Downing St. to 17th Ave., then 17th Ave. to Colorado Blvd.

My advice for the above route: hammer hard, that road rips.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by COBilly View Post
    Thaks guys. I am definitely going to test this out on the weekend before I start commuting. I'm sure I can find relatively direct route...hopefully
    if you don't mind sharing what you find find, i'd love to hear it... I've been kicking around the idea as well..
    I live up off Baseline and work in Stapleton..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WilburKookmeyer View Post
    if you don't mind sharing what you find find, i'd love to hear it... I've been kicking around the idea as well..
    I live up off Baseline and work in Stapleton..
    Baseline, east; to Colorado Blvd., south; intersect S. Platte Path, south; Sand Creek Path, east; to MLK Blvd.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    Baseline, east; to Colorado Blvd., south; intersect S. Platte Path, south; Sand Creek Path, east; to MLK Blvd.
    I can vouch for that route having ridden from both Erie & Louisville (to Lowry) although I'd often zig-zag South as I went. Just be leery of riding East early in the morning into the sun and keep your ears open for the jackass who rides his little cushman bike Northbound at ~30mph with no regard for lanes. Best part about that ride though is having the damned gnats stick to my bald sweaty noggin under my helmet. Eventually wore just a cycling cap on the path(s).

Also miss riding the Cherry Creek path and all the "sights" along the way. surprised xcstalker hasn't posted about that area yet.

tiny rider
    Huron is pretty good for getting north-south (but it can get windy). If you take 120th east to Huron, you can head south till 86th or 84th. East of there is a good point to enter the Platte River trail, which you can follow down south. The trick is finding the best point to jump off and hit the surface streets; as you go farther south, the trail heads too far west. Alternatively, Sand Creek heads too far east. Just looking at Google Maps, you might be able to jump on to the Sand Creek trail for a bit and then take Dahlia St. down to Colfax. It's on a bus route, so shouldn't be too obscure.

Post up with your final route.

Tribe Member
    The biggest thing about bike commuting, take what you when you drive in.
    Leave your shoes, belt and some wet wipes at work.
    It is alot easier to commute with only clothes that fold up easily in a courier bag.

Good luck with your route. I love my 40 mile commute when I have time to do it.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cartographer View Post
    Huron is pretty good for getting north-south (but it can get windy). If you take 120th east to Huron, you can head south till 86th or 84th. East of there is a good point to enter the Platte River trail, which you can follow down south. The trick is finding the best point to jump off and hit the surface streets; as you go farther south, the trail heads too far west. Alternatively, Sand Creek heads too far east. Just looking at Google Maps, you might be able to jump on to the Sand Creek trail for a bit and then take Dahlia St. down to Colfax. It's on a bus route, so shouldn't be too obscure.

good catch, i kinda forgot about the OP.

when I used to work at basically Colorado and I-70, I'd take Platte River trail to Race Street and then zig-zag South and East to my destination. That was a long time ago and not the nicest neighborhoods on the planet though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cartographer View Post

I've been thinking about something like this. There is no convenient way to get North/South from where I'm at. Everything is East/West and out of the way. Any of the larger N/S roads would be good I think. I was also thinking about Federal all the way into Denver, then some way East. Of all the weekends we get a bunch of storms and rain it has to be this one. Maybe I'll get to test the route next weekend

mtbr member
    I've been thinking about something like this. There is no convenient way to get North/South from where I'm at. Everything is East/West and out of the way. Any of the larger N/S roads would be good I think. I was also thinking about Federal all the way into Denver, then some way East. Of all the weekends we get a bunch of storms and rain it has to be this one. Maybe I'll get to test the route next weekend
    May as well ride it in any condition. It is inevitable that you'll get rained on during a commute.

Federal is a straight shot, but motorists are generally unsympathetic on that route. Also, from that far north Federal is the quickest route to three major highways. Washington St. is probably the best, most direct, option. Plus, in the last year or so it has been widened with 4 ft. shoulders to 72nd Ave. You'll have to share a lane from 120th to 72nd, but Wash. rolls fast through that section.

Goofing off?
    COBilly - I was about to post/ start this same thread last week.

I work downtown at 19th and Curtis. I live at 112th and Federal.

The route I took coming home was:

-Plat River Trail North
    -Niver Creek Trail West (at 78th)
    -84th West to cross I25 (84th and Washington)
    -Then take the no name path behind Ultimate Electronics on 84th and go North through the RTD stop and continue parallel to I25. This will cross Thronton Parkway and then Huron.
    -Eventually this lets you out at 96th and Pecos. From there, you can take residential streets and additional bike paths to get you home to your cold beer. Google map it and view "bicycling" for map of paths.

I took this route last week and it was 17 miles according to my gps on the iPhone.

It took me 1:45 mins. It was 100 degrees that day so I had to stop in shade spots quite a bit. Plus, I commute on an XC/AM bike.

Since I wear a suit for work, I won't ride in but would like company riding home sometime. Let me know......

Gordon

Anyone commute from the north 'burbs into Denver?

I live around 120th & Pecos and want to start commuting to work. I work aroung Colfax & Colorado. Anyone ride close to that? How long does it take you and is there a good route to take? I downloaded a bike path app to my iphone and it said it would take about 2 hours. The route was a really windy way taking only paths and roads with a designated bike lane. There has to be a shorter way...I hope. And, one that takes a lot less time

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sweet, thanks for the route. Let me ride it to and from work a few times to get the route and times down pretty good. I'll be in touch about riding together

Quote Originally Posted by Intenserider2 View Post
    COBilly - I was about to post/ start this same thread last week.

I work downtown at 19th and Curtis. I live at 112th and Federal.

The route I took coming home was:

-Plat River Trail North
    -Niver Creek Trail West (at 78th)
    -84th West to cross I25 (84th and Washington)
    -Then take the no name path behind Ultimate Electronics on 84th and go North through the RTD stop and continue parallel to I25. This will cross Thronton Parkway and then Huron.
    -Eventually this lets you out at 96th and Pecos. From there, you can take residential streets and additional bike paths to get you home to your cold beer. Google map it and view "bicycling" for map of paths.

I took this route last week and it was 17 miles according to my gps on the iPhone.

It took me 1:45 mins. It was 100 degrees that day so I had to stop in shade spots quite a bit. Plus, I commute on an XC/AM bike.

Since I wear a suit for work, I won't ride in but would like company riding home sometime. Let me know......

Gordon

!Vamos, flaco!
    Based on my experience, you should run some trials as that's really the only way to find the best route. Focus on where you need to cross freeways, major highways, and the South Platte River and gravel pits. Those will probably be the bottlenecks affecting your route the most. Also, if it's a long ride, you can do what I've done: drive to work, bike home, and the next day bike to work and drive home.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson