mtbr member
    Sep 2008

is denver/colorado springs area rideable?

I'm headed to Colorado springs in a couple days and will be visiting some friends in Denver so either place would be nice to ride.

thanks in advance
    Ryan

mtbr member
    Yep, dry as a bone here.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    what trails would you recommend?

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Primo in Ft. Collins/Loveland as well.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyno06 View Post
    what trails would you recommend?
    In the Springs, I'd recommend Captain Jacks. We rode it yesterday, and it's a little loose, but snow and ice free. The downhill on the trail is like a bobsled run with great views of town in the background. It's the "must ride" trail in Colorado Springs. There is a ton of information about it online so you can search for directions. Have fun!

If you have more time, check out Palmer Park too (but don't ride there if it's muddy please).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    In the Springs, I'd recommend Captain Jacks. We rode it yesterday, and it's a little loose, but snow and ice free. The downhill on the trail is like a bobsled run with great views of town in the background. It's the "must ride" trail in Colorado Springs. There is a ton of information about it online so you can search for directions. Have fun!

If you have more time, check out Palmer Park too (but don't ride there if it's muddy please).
    Thanks for the info, unfortunately I'm not going to have a bunch of time. I'll have to check it out, oh and one more thing, do you know what the "average" ss 29er gear is for this course?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    hell yeah! 32/18 is my favorite gear

I'm with stupid
    32X18 is what I was told when I was asking a year or so ago.

I tapped that

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyno06 View Post
    Thanks for the info, unfortunately I'm not going to have a bunch of time. I'll have to check it out, oh and one more thing, do you know what the "average" ss 29er gear is for this course?
    I run a 32x21 and I still end up walking a few of the steep pitches on Buckhorn (the climb to get to Cap'n Jacks). If you aren't used to altitude, go with a bigger cog so you don't lose a lung on the trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You could just run lower capt jacks -> chutes

If you're not used to the altitude I'd recommend not going near capt jacks, it's fairly high and can be a dangerous trail for someone bonking.

Tons of riding in the area(s)

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJosiah View Post
    You could just run lower capt jacks -> chutes

If you're not used to the altitude I'd recommend not going near capt jacks, it's fairly high and can be a dangerous trail for someone bonking.

Tons of riding in the area(s)
    When I say Captain Jacks, I'm referring to the climb up Buckhorn, and then CJs down to Gold Camp Road, not the whole trail system from way up above. The route I suggested tops out at about 8,000 feet and ~1,250 feet of gain so it shouldn't be a problem for a low altitude dweller if they take a few breaks on the way up.

As the Dr pointed out, you can extend the loop by starting at the Chutes trailhead and riding up to make it a ~2,000 foot ride. Again, it should be easy to find directions.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Most (all?) trails in the Front Range are exceptionally ride-able right now. Chimney Gulch has only one or two small icy spots. All of the Apex trails are clear except maybe grubstake - only trail I didn't ride yesterday. Grubstake usually keeps snow in spots- but I'm sure it's not bad at all right now.

Green Mountain totally clear

Mathews Winter

Weather has been prime biking weather the last week or so (60's and sunny). Having said all that- major weather supposed to be moving in Wednesday night/Thursday with snow in the forecast. Ride-ability is likely to change on a moments notice. I skipped the morning ride today due to major winds.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    well im up for some good riding, maybe if someone from the forum wanted to meet me at one of the trailheads on Wednesday just let me know where to go, I have the USA cycling race mechanics school in the evening so it'll have to be during the day

mtbr member
    May 2007

C/S riding

As mentioned most all of our trails are good to go. I'm free to ride a good everyday this week so just PM me; I'm always happy to do some ride guiding. Oh, I do a good bit of my pedaling on a SS 29er too.