Hairshirt Rider

No good Denver Bumper - You get what you pay for and sometimes a whole lot more.

Dropped my Chameleon frame off at Denver Bumper the day after Thanksgiving for a new look. Picked it up Monday on my way to the airport and found that they did a half-assed job. Missed a couple of spots completely and left blobs of paint all over the rear triangle. I left it with them to respray and picked it up on Friday on my way home. Mostly a decent job, but still two spots where the old color shows through. Good enough.

So, I'm building it back up tonight and go to put the rear wheel back in and discovered the rear spacing is off by minus 10mm. I'm wondering how the f@ck they managed to do this.

Attached Images Attached Images

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    Dropped my Chameleon frame off at Denver Bumper the day after Thanksgiving for a new look. Picked it up Monday on my way to the airport and found that they did a half-assed job. Missed a couple of spots completely and left blobs of paint all over the rear triangle. I left it with them to respray and picked it up on Friday on my way home. Mostly a decent job, but still two spots where the old color shows through. Good enough.

So, I'm building it back up tonight and go to put the rear wheel back in and discovered the rear spacing is off by minus 10mm. I'm wondering how the f@ck they managed to do this.

Might not of been "them" per se, but the oven. I take it they powder coated it and since it was done twice, that means that your aluminum Chameleon was subjected to two 400-degree heat cycles. Those kinds of prolonged temps can make aluminum, especially 6061, move all over the place. I'm going to Hawaii for Xmas for a couple of weeks next week (yeah!) but if it's still screwy after the first of the year, I have a tool that will safely respace aluminum rears and can fix it for you. Don't just start yanking on it, you want to be sure that the rear end maintains alignment with the ST & HT.

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Those kinds of prolonged temps can make aluminum, especially 6061, move all over the place.
    Good point - hadn't thought of that. And thanks for the heads up. I'm hoping it is just the drop out alignment, as I imagine it that the rest of the rear end would be tough to move. If it turns out the whole rear end is wonky I'll let you know.

Yay! Bikes !
    Mostly a decent job, but still two spots where the old color shows through. Good enough.
    If you were having it repainted and they didn't remove the old paint / powdercoat, I'd chalk that up to one crappy job all around.

It could just be the thickness of the new finish, especially if they didn't strip off all of the old paint.

Let's see a pic of the frame. I always liked that orange.
    Nick.

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick.

Let's see a pic of the frame. I always liked that orange.
    Orange chameleons kill!

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    Orange chameleons kill!
    Orange bikes in general rule.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Orange bikes in general rule.
    I see you're home today too. Hows the foot?

I'm home too. See "it's blue it's dead" for the reason.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    I see you're home today too. Hows the foot?

I'm home too. See "it's blue it's dead" for the reason.
    Better than yesterday. I can walk on it better than last night and the swelling has gone down a bit. There's a large bruise on it still and it hurts a lot. Tomorrow Im probably going to go to the doctor, depends on how it is then I guess. Til then lots of ice.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member

Home too

But my reason isn't as good as.... well anyone elses. I'm lazy I guess, but gonna hit up something today. Mabey research or Hall.

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Blue
    But my reason isn't as good as.... well anyone elses. I'm lazy I guess, but gonna hit up something today. Mabey research or Hall.
    Hall sucks, but research is in good shape, only a couple sticky spots, but nothing anywhere important.

Rolling

??????????confused!

10 mm or ~1 mm? unless I read those calipers wrong.

Seems 1mm should be a good tolerance!

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    10 mm or ~1 mm? unless I read those calipers wrong.

Seems 1mm should be a good tolerance!
    Took me a bit, too. I think the photo is funky. It does read 124-126, though. ...For an assumedly unecessary refresher, Chameleons are 135.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

Hairshirt Rider
    I'm going with Don's lead for now - seems to make sense since they had to bake it twice.

As for the prep (or lack of), for $65, I wasn't expecting a Spectrum finish, and in that regard, there were no surprises. From a few feet away, you really can't tell that it's not an A - 1 finish.

Yay! Bikes !
    what the hell did I say???

lesson: don't post and drink.
    Last edited by Nick.; 12-13-2004 at 09:43 AM.
    Nick.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I had Denver bumper do the lowers on some forks and some cranks. The heat from the oven tweaked the lowers, but they did do all the prep work and the finish came out great. Too bad the forks were toast. Supposedly there is a cooler temperature powder coating process available, but I haven't done any research on that. <---admitting I am posting about something I don't know intimately.

Also, judging by the angle of the drive side drop out, looks like that is the side that got pushed in (notice how the caliper is flush on the non-drive side and not so on the drive side?).

Your bike sucks
    This sounds right to me - but what do I know. Added bonus: Don's alignment tool is very, very nice.

The color looks geat too bad about the alignment issue.

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by TCR1
    Also, judging by the angle of the drive side drop out, looks like that is the side that got pushed in (notice how the caliper is flush on the non-drive side and not so on the drive side?).
    Aye, I aligned the the dropouts, but even straight it is still out about 10mm. Looks like the drive side is what moved. I'l be interested to see how it comes out after Don helps me work it over.