Binge Rider

New question here. Denver Area MTB question

Hello,

Looking at possibly moving to the Denver area for a job related move. I've never been to Denver and was wondering what the mountain biking is like there; specifically access to trails. I know this is a vague question, but are there a lot of trail riding opportunities near by, or do you have to drive to get to quality trails? If so, how long, 1/2hr, hour? The office would be near Centennial and I could live anywhere around there within 1/2 hour drive to work.

I'm just looking for a general response and overview from a local standpoint. As cool as Denver sounds, I want to avoid the lure of a mountain city if the trails are so far away it's not even close. If I end up having to move, it may help shape where I look for houses depending on location.

As a guide, I live about 10-20 minutes (drive) from my local trails that I sometimes pedal to. There are about 3 or 4 trails here. So... anything better than that would be good! Riding style is trail/all mountain.

Thanks & Happy New Year!

Spine Shank
    "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer" General Patton

[SIZE="1"]CAUTION: ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION CONFUSES ME[/SIZE]

Chronic 1st-timer
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

Binge Rider
    You're right. Sorry I asked

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Paste eater
    Ask in the relocating thread and you'll get a better response. A few thing sort of specific to your situation...

Centennial isn't a great location in terms of access to trails. Not terrible but not great. It's also south of the tech center. I don't know S Denver all that well, but I know enough to know I don't want to be driving though the tech center during rush hour. You will lose hours sitting in a vehicle. So consequently, you'll be limited to the burbs. Littleton, Ken Caryl and Highlands Ranch will be your strike zone.

I see you are from Reno? I wasn't in love with that city. Certainly prefer Denver. However, it's in a decent location and is manageable size. Seemed like pretty good access to decent riding and also pretty close to the Tahoe area.

Awesomist™
    Or to visually visualize the visuals... Mountain Bike Trails near Denver, Colorado
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    Or to visually visualize the visuals... Mountain Bike Trails near Denver, Colorado
    Wait... that shows Lenawee as a double-diamond...

Should I call shenanigans?

Binge Rider
    Jwind,

Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I was looking for. Just an overview of what and where to look. Thanks man. As pathetic as it sounds, I have no clue about the area other than the sterotype. My luck, I would've been camped dead center in the Tech Center!

Reno was so-so. Used to be better. Tahoe is always nice. I live in Southern AZ now, Tucson area. Great year-round riding. Especially if you like the color brown and little to no trees. Thanks again for the tip!

Tribe Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spine Shank View Post
    As pathetic as it sounds, I have no clue about the area other than the sterotype. !
    And what sterotype would that be?

A bunch of beer swilling, ride in any condition, my bike is worth more than my car, let's camp and ride mtbs this weekend, what about the TiTS ride, which front range tire is best, lycra vs baggies, my LBS sucks or use the search function for you answer group?

That would be all of us.

Congrats on your move and GL with finding a place.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maddslacker View Post
    I live in Littleton which is about 10 mins west from Centennial. I moved here three years ago and these guys on the forum get asked this question a ton. CO riders are much friendlier in person. From Centennial you can be to most trail heads in about 30mins. On the south side of town we have Deer Creek that you could be to in 15-20mins, all the Highlands Ranch trails which are very easy and only for residents, Waterton Canyonwhich is a 6 mile fire road ride in and out to some fantastic single track to the Roxborough shorter 18miles (total) or Ring tail/Indian Creek loop more like 27 miles total.

If you lived west like Morrison, Lakewood, or Golden or West in Littleton you could get to everything in Golden and Morrison pretty quickly. There are a ton of trails in that area within 15-20mins. Golden would be prime for riding but that would make your commute a little farther. From my house I can be at least a dozen trail heads inside 30 minutes which this link shows. We have great variety with flowy high meadow single track to technical, steep and full of gnar. Nearly every ride begins with a 12% grade right out of the parking lot. The only downside is that most years around December trails above 6000 feet and north facing are snowed in till late March/April.

I ride with a group that meets weekly if you find yourself looking for someone to show you around. There are quite a few riding groups and a great riding culture here in Denver. There are a lot of riders here so there's a lot of folks on the trails. Here's our last year's ride schedule as an example of where we ride. We have guys who drive an hour to the trail head from Parker or Aurora. Hope your move goes well.

Denver Front Range Mountain Biking « Schedule « Denver BOMB « Believers On Mountain Bikes
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    This really ought to be a sticky.

Oh, wait...

Trips for Kids Denver
    +1 for living as far West (Littleton, Lakewood, Golden) as you're willing to put up with for commute time.
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

Living the High Life
    What about DH close to Denver?!?!?!?!?!
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Born With A Tail
    What I noticed most when I moved here from AZ is that there are a lot more people on the trails. You definitely have to travel much further to get away from it all.
    Tequila tonight, tomorrow we ride!

mtbr member
    News Flash

All the jobs in Colorado are filled and mountain biking has been banned indefinitely, sorry.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by danaco View Post
    mountain biking has been banned indefinitely, sorry.
    Looks like JeffCo got their wish.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.