mtbr member

Demo'd an Ellsworth today

They're touring around CO right now... I rode two bikes, can't remember the second one, but the first one ("Epiphany") was absolutely sublime.

I'm 48 and in medicocre shape... I swear I felt like I coulda climbed a brick wall with thing. Amazing bike!

Anyone own an Ellsworth and or have experience? I'm not all that knowledgeable, but man that thing was nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo Springs E
    They're touring around CO right now... I rode two bikes, can't remember the second one, but the first one ("Epiphany") was absolutely sublime.

I'm 48 and in medicocre shape... I swear I felt like I coulda climbed a brick wall with thing. Amazing bike!

Anyone own an Ellsworth and or have experience? I'm not all that knowledgeable, but man that thing was nice.
    Demo a Turner and compare.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Demo a Chumba and compare.

mtbr member
    Upon your advice, just got back from demo'ing the Chumba and Turner. They both felt a little better than my cousin's Huffy.

Good gawd man, this place is like an effing knitting circle.

DIY all the way
    Besides that Ellsworth are famous around here for not supplying parts for frames more than a few years old, which is something I'd keep in mind when choosing a bike.

Turner has a long record for fair service on the other hand. I don't know much about Chumba.

Magura

mtbr member
    Well, to be clear, I have no intention of buying a $4500 bike, or even a $2500 bike for that matter. They rolled into town at Ute Valley Park around 10am with about 15 bikes. It was a fun ride for a hack like me. I know nothing about Turner or Chumba. I rode back home on the same bike I rode to Ute Valley, my singlespeed rigid hardtail GT Peace.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well, to be clear, I have no intention of buying a $4500 bike, or even a $2500 bike for that matter. They rolled into town at Ute Valley Park around 10am with about 15 bikes. It was a fun ride for a hack like me. I know nothing about Turner or Chumba. I rode back home on the same bike I rode to Ute Valley, my singlespeed rigid hardtail GT Peace.
    No wonder that Ellsworth felt so sweet. You get what you pay for, man. A Turner would set you back between $2k and $3k but you wouldn't have to ride that GT anymore. Think of that as a major positive side benefit.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    I prefer to think of what I else I can do with $2500-$3000 (right now at least). I do agree with you, you get what you pay for. But for my purposes, I'm happy with my GT Peace. I'm convinced my best friend's Lotus Elise is a far nicer ride than my 2007 VW... but I can't really justify laying out that kind of cash for a car. Similarly, (right now) I can't justify dropping $2k+ on a bike being that I'm not even a serious racer or anything.

If I ride it enough/put enough miles on it this year, maybe I'll reward myself with something nice. Thanks for mentioning Turner, I'll check them out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I used to say I'd never drop 2k+ on a bike, until I did.

But, long story short, ride what you have and have fun. Once you are ready to buy a new bike, then you can decide what is in your budget. Be glad you enjoyed a demo day and learned something new about different bikes,

mtbr member
    Thanks Crimson Fox... mind me asking what you went with? Are you happy? With hindsight, what might you have done/purchased differently?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks Crimson Fox... mind me asking what you went with? Are you happy? With hindsight, what might you have done/purchased differently?
    Tell the truth, there's a lot of great bikes out there. Check out the Giant Trance X (still made?). You can always spend more money on anything but $1500-2000 is the sweet spot for a full bike. You can also spend that on a frame only.

You owe it to that aging body of yours to get FS NOW (just fall to sleep tonight dreaming of riding that Ells all summer)

Oh, So Interesting!
    Ellsworth has a horrible reputation in the industry, I can't believe he's still in business. If you like riding bikes spending the cash is worth it, and you can get a good bike for around $2k. I got a $2800 Trek Remedy at the end of the season for $1700 a couple years ago.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I test rode an Epiphany along with many other bikes and in the end it came down to what worked well for me but also what was reasonable in price.

I loved the Ellsworth but didn't feel the extra 2K for the frame really rode that much better than the Chumba XCL I ended up with.

There are probably tons of arguments for this or that - just find what works for you and buy it if you can

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    Ellsworth has a horrible reputation in the industry, I can't believe he's still in business.
    What's the deal? Not standing behind their product? Or?... I don't know anything about them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I ended up with a Rocky Mountain Altitude 50. I was able to ride several bikes, like a Trek EX9, Remedy, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, A Santa Cruz Blur, and a Scott Spark. Some were demos, others were borrowed from friends, or friends of friends.

The RM climbed the best and it also fit the best. I have room to standover and the reach isn't too short. I would purchase the same bike again in a heartbeat. Getting the opportunity to ride other bikes helped make the decision is easier. You get a feel for what feels right and what doesn't.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    You owe it to that aging body of yours to get FS NOW
    LOL, true that!

Rigid in Evergreen
    Ride what you like.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Just be thankful the Ellsworth didn't break while you were riding it.

Living the High Life
    What's the deal? Not standing behind their product? Or?... I don't know anything about them.
    Do some searches here and over on ridemonkey.com. Hard to know where to start really.

Personally I think their web page is enough. Its so full of crap it makes me laugh. One shop asked my DH team if we would consider their FR bike (Rouge I think) to race DH on, they wanted to get into the gravity scene and were looking for a grass roots team. I laughed and just said "No."

And Davec is right, look around at the end of the year or for last year's model deals. Lots of local shops will have them on the floor and want to clear them out. Or look for some demo bikes like you rode for sale.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter
    Ride what you like.
    +1

I was checking out the Peace 9er a few years ago - looks like a fun ride.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)