Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thread Terrorist

Deer Creek "Wall" climb (Video Content)

Gotdirt and I set out on a mission to ride the "Wall" clean. After a 2 hour Session and what seemed like a million attempts, it went clean.... ...and its on video!

Gotdirt's setup: Ti Bontrager custom rigid 69er. Less than 24 lbs.
    IndecentExposures setup: SC Nomad 7 and 7, Minion 2.5's, . 35 lbs.

...who said a 35lb freeride bike couldn't climb!

Edit: Here's the unedited shot of making the wall

Last edited by IndecentExposure; 11-17-2007 at 10:31 AM.

mtbr member

Very nice!

Well done guys. You're an inspiration. I've always known it could be done, but I've never done it or seen anyone do it. Good job.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs
    Well done guys. You're an inspiration. I've always known it could be done, but I've never done it or seen anyone do it. Good job.
    Thanks. There were some hikers that strolled through; he said, "oh, yeah, I've done it, its not that hard"...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Thanks. There were some hikers that strolled through; he said, "oh, yeah, I've done it, its not that hard"...
    Yeah......they walked it Nice job.....really fun to watch.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

All of your attempts felt familiar

except the one where you got over that top log. It's not for lack of effort you both didn't make it the other multiple times--stars have to align, Lady Luck must smile upon you...and you just have to f'ckin' make it. Good job. This video needs to be a sticky somewhere for "Giving it maximum effort 101". Any viewers who haven't tried this: it's as hard as it looks and at the same time harder than it looks.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member

Wink that makes me tired just watching it

did you have to include all of my failed, flailing attempts?

in hindsight, i chose the wrong weapon-- next time i'm taking the FS ride... i thought the lightweight may be an advantage, but i need a little squish (up front at least) to keep from bouncing around so much.

btw, looks like we aren't the only fools to kill an hour or two up there--
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn3tcMsrxHQ
    (no successes, and a couple of hard hits, but looks like they had fun too)

congrats again. good times.

mtbr member
    Nice riding guys! I admire your persistence and determination.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    Good job! I still can't make it more than a few feet up that thing, so it's pretty impressive seeing you guys ride it all.
    - Brian
    '07 Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29er - stock
    '99 Giant Iguana SE
    '86 4Runner
    '86 SVO

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    did you have to include all of my failed, flailing attempts?

in hindsight, i chose the wrong weapon-- next time i'm taking the FS ride... i thought the lightweight may be an advantage, but i need a little squish (up front at least) to keep from bouncing around so much.
    I still think FS's are the better climbing bikes. The rear suspension helps more than anything. Just dial down the front shock and let'er rip!

mtbr member
    I still think FS's are the better climbing bikes. The rear suspension helps more than anything.
    Can I get an Amen?!

mtbr member
    Some nice work there. Makes me want to go try it. Haven't been there in a long time. Don't remember those stairs.

mtbr member
    Can I get an Amen?!
    Amen brother!

Ride Buck Hill Ski Area
    Jul 2005
    Boys, DC is my "home" trail. I have never made it, the closest i got was 5ft from the top log, back before the stairs. Its harder now, with fewer lines. I am going to study the tape and try that same line, you made it on. Looks like high right then up the middle. Congrats. I too have heard many claim they cleaned the Wall, but have never seen it.

Abide, Em-effer!
    I'm pretty sure they have medication for that type of behavior.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Im impressed

I have been there one time, and only made it up about 3 ft. I saw several people try it, everyone failed. (up & down). Riding it down certainly would be easier but still is a little sketchy. Im gonna have to go back there.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    That's some amazing riding by both of you! I hope one day to have just a fraction of your skills!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    That's some amazing riding by both of you! I hope one day to have just a fraction of your skills!
    don't hold your breath.....

I'd loan you some of mine if I had any.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    Skills are built by sessioning stuff for hours like this. You can do it, just have to get over the fact that you may be there for a while.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by pocgnikcuf
    Boys, DC is my "home" trail. I have never made it, the closest i got was 5ft from the top log, back before the stairs. Its harder now, with fewer lines. I am going to study the tape and try that same line, you made it on. Looks like high right then up the middle. Congrats. I too have heard many claim they cleaned the Wall, but have never seen it.
    Yeah, I think some of them mentioned that Big Foot has been seen in the area... but no video?

This is how it started...

Now that's passion!

Skills are built by sessioning stuff for hours like this. You can do it, just have to get over the fact that you may be there for a while.
    A lot of people I ride with get so caught up in riding point to point. Mtb'ing is about having fun on the bike and trail.
    I loved that vid! I love that kind of riding!

Thanks!

Living the High Life
    Excellent riding Taylor

mtbr member
    Piece of cake! Momentum and a wheelie is the key for the step up sections. Sitting and spinning is tough sometimes. A good mash adds momentum.
    The hardtail was bouncing all over the place. So much for the big wheel theory.
    It really goes to show you how an active rear suspension helps track a lot better.

I liked the trials moves! I got this big tree stump step-up on a backyard trail and it's about 3 feet high. I could never make it till I figured out I needed to haul ass towards it in my middle ring and pull a manual and lunge maneuver.

All in all, good job!
    Last edited by wormvine; 11-18-2007 at 08:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Holy ****, I wouldn't of believed unless I saw it. I have been trying that section and never even have come close. i have been sayng it can't be done. i was wrong. Awesome.

Erik

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I tried it today because i was inspired by the video. I totally cleaned it!--- Down that is, doh! Up is so hard. Obviously it can be done but Jeezus. There are 2 hard up sections before that oneon the video, and its so much harder than those two. One day...

Is this the most difficult section on the front range to ride up? I think making it up the waterbar section up the saddle of dakota ridge is hard too, but not like this.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    I spotted GotDirt sessioning it again today, but this time on his squishy; bloody knee and everything. Then I rode Red Mesa and Pymouth Mtn....and he was still there on my way back down.
    True Story.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast