Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thread Terrorist

Deer Creek "Wall" climb (Video Content)

Gotdirt and I set out on a mission to ride the "Wall" clean. After a 2 hour Session and what seemed like a million attempts, it went clean.... ...and its on video!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JMlHOdCL82U"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JMlHOdCL82U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Gotdirt's setup: Ti Bontrager custom rigid 69er. Less than 24 lbs.
    IndecentExposures setup: SC Nomad 7 and 7, Minion 2.5's, . 35 lbs.

...who said a 35lb freeride bike couldn't climb!

Edit: Here's the unedited shot of making the wall

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r_gXosRITBE"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r_gXosRITBE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    Last edited by IndecentExposure; 11-17-2007 at 10:31 AM.

mtbr member

Very nice!

Well done guys. You're an inspiration. I've always known it could be done, but I've never done it or seen anyone do it. Good job.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs
    Well done guys. You're an inspiration. I've always known it could be done, but I've never done it or seen anyone do it. Good job.
    Thanks. There were some hikers that strolled through; he said, "oh, yeah, I've done it, its not that hard"...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Thanks. There were some hikers that strolled through; he said, "oh, yeah, I've done it, its not that hard"...
    Yeah......they walked it Nice job.....really fun to watch.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

All of your attempts felt familiar

except the one where you got over that top log. It's not for lack of effort you both didn't make it the other multiple times--stars have to align, Lady Luck must smile upon you...and you just have to f'ckin' make it. Good job. This video needs to be a sticky somewhere for "Giving it maximum effort 101". Any viewers who haven't tried this: it's as hard as it looks and at the same time harder than it looks.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member

Wink that makes me tired just watching it

did you have to include all of my failed, flailing attempts?

in hindsight, i chose the wrong weapon-- next time i'm taking the FS ride... i thought the lightweight may be an advantage, but i need a little squish (up front at least) to keep from bouncing around so much.

btw, looks like we aren't the only fools to kill an hour or two up there--
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn3tcMsrxHQ
    (no successes, and a couple of hard hits, but looks like they had fun too)

congrats again. good times.

mtbr member
    Nice riding guys! I admire your persistence and determination.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    Good job! I still can't make it more than a few feet up that thing, so it's pretty impressive seeing you guys ride it all.
    - Brian
    '07 Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29er - stock
    '99 Giant Iguana SE
    '86 4Runner
    '86 SVO

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    did you have to include all of my failed, flailing attempts?

in hindsight, i chose the wrong weapon-- next time i'm taking the FS ride... i thought the lightweight may be an advantage, but i need a little squish (up front at least) to keep from bouncing around so much.
    I still think FS's are the better climbing bikes. The rear suspension helps more than anything. Just dial down the front shock and let'er rip!

mtbr member
    I still think FS's are the better climbing bikes. The rear suspension helps more than anything.
    Can I get an Amen?!

mtbr member
    Some nice work there. Makes me want to go try it. Haven't been there in a long time. Don't remember those stairs.

mtbr member
    Can I get an Amen?!
    Amen brother!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Boys, DC is my "home" trail. I have never made it, the closest i got was 5ft from the top log, back before the stairs. Its harder now, with fewer lines. I am going to study the tape and try that same line, you made it on. Looks like high right then up the middle. Congrats. I too have heard many claim they cleaned the Wall, but have never seen it.

Abide, Em-effer!
    I'm pretty sure they have medication for that type of behavior.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Im impressed

I have been there one time, and only made it up about 3 ft. I saw several people try it, everyone failed. (up & down). Riding it down certainly would be easier but still is a little sketchy. Im gonna have to go back there.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    That's some amazing riding by both of you! I hope one day to have just a fraction of your skills!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    That's some amazing riding by both of you! I hope one day to have just a fraction of your skills!
    don't hold your breath.....

I'd loan you some of mine if I had any.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    Skills are built by sessioning stuff for hours like this. You can do it, just have to get over the fact that you may be there for a while.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by pocgnikcuf
    Boys, DC is my "home" trail. I have never made it, the closest i got was 5ft from the top log, back before the stairs. Its harder now, with fewer lines. I am going to study the tape and try that same line, you made it on. Looks like high right then up the middle. Congrats. I too have heard many claim they cleaned the Wall, but have never seen it.
    Yeah, I think some of them mentioned that Big Foot has been seen in the area... but no video?

This is how it started...

Now that's passion!

Skills are built by sessioning stuff for hours like this. You can do it, just have to get over the fact that you may be there for a while.
    A lot of people I ride with get so caught up in riding point to point. Mtb'ing is about having fun on the bike and trail.
    I loved that vid! I love that kind of riding!

Thanks!

Living the High Life
    Excellent riding Taylor

mtbr member
    Piece of cake! Momentum and a wheelie is the key for the step up sections. Sitting and spinning is tough sometimes. A good mash adds momentum.
    The hardtail was bouncing all over the place. So much for the big wheel theory.
    It really goes to show you how an active rear suspension helps track a lot better.

I liked the trials moves! I got this big tree stump step-up on a backyard trail and it's about 3 feet high. I could never make it till I figured out I needed to haul ass towards it in my middle ring and pull a manual and lunge maneuver.

All in all, good job!
    Last edited by wormvine; 11-18-2007 at 08:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Holy ****, I wouldn't of believed unless I saw it. I have been trying that section and never even have come close. i have been sayng it can't be done. i was wrong. Awesome.

Erik

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I tried it today because i was inspired by the video. I totally cleaned it!--- Down that is, doh! Up is so hard. Obviously it can be done but Jeezus. There are 2 hard up sections before that oneon the video, and its so much harder than those two. One day...

Is this the most difficult section on the front range to ride up? I think making it up the waterbar section up the saddle of dakota ridge is hard too, but not like this.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    I spotted GotDirt sessioning it again today, but this time on his squishy; bloody knee and everything. Then I rode Red Mesa and Pymouth Mtn....and he was still there on my way back down.
    True Story.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron
    I spotted GotDirt sessioning it again today, but this time on his squishy; bloody knee and everything. Then I rode Red Mesa and Pymouth Mtn....and he was still there on my way back down.
    True Story.
    I did exactly that as well, right down to passing him on the way up and on the way down. Didn't know who it was though. I assume the bloody knee makes for easy ident, but it was a white Rocky Mountain, right? Nice meeting you, GotDirt.
    - Brian
    '99 Giant Iguana SE
    '86 4Runner
    '86 SVO

Inflexable...
    Quote Originally Posted by milo84
    I'm pretty sure they have medication for that type of behavior.

Stone IPA anyone?

Very nice riding guys. Never been there but there are some sections down here in COS that probably compare. Maybe climbing the cobblestone section in Palmer off Templeton...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice job, boys! Watching that vid made me start looking for my knee armor.

Thread Terrorist
    As for setup and knee armor? Well, my seat was slamed, the front fork pumped down, rear shock in "DH" mode, or all the pro-pedal off (this really made a difference). I know for a fact that I would be slaming knees in to handlebars, so that goes on as well.

Gotdirt went at it again? He came so close so many times. I'm surprised he didn't call me for some video action.

As for the Dakota Ridge stuff... I've been told it can be cleaned, and has been many times. I've done it in sections, but never all the way through. IF you can track stand, the most you need to worry about is the techy right hand turn. I've been told that IBMkid is the master at this.

I'll take that Stone now!

mtbr member

i'm obsessed

Gotdirt went at it again? He came so close so many times. I'm surprised he didn't call me for some video action.

As for the Dakota Ridge stuff... I've been told it can be cleaned, and has been many times. I've done it in sections, but never all the way through. IF you can track stand, the most you need to worry about is the techy right hand turn. I've been told that IBMkid is the master at this.
    yep, i went at it again yesterday, though i knew in advance it wasn't a good idea since i'd already ridden elsewhere. but i just had to try. got the rear wheel over that last d*mn ledge a few times, but couldn't manage the umph to make it to the stupid log.

i was surprised at how very few even try it, though a couple that did said i inspired them to do so, so that's cool. 98% just carried up the steps. (perhaps more surprised at the number of folks who wouldn't try it on the way down either).

as for that techy right turn at DR followed by the steps, IBMkid is indeed the only person i've seen do it, though yesterday at DC flowtron said he'd just done it this weekend.

P.S. bike is a 2000 intense tracer (no rocky mountain here).

(i'm tempted to return to DC today w/ meatier tires and some pads, but i know my wife would revoke my hall pass for the foreseeable future if i did so... plus i'm sore.)

Thread Terrorist
    (i'm tempted to return to DC today w/ meatier tires and some pads, but i know my wife would revoke my hall pass for the foreseeable future if i did so... plus i'm sore.)
    I say, get a Maxxis 2.35 DH 40 duometer rear minion and run it at super low airpressure... I'm sure you'll make it up.

Oh, and you should rest... go do it when its 23 degrees out!

mtbr member
    P.S. bike is a 2000 intense tracer (no rocky mountain here).
    I could be way off. Clean, no stickers, though? I rode the wall down and we BS'd for a second and you asked how I liked the 29er.
    - Brian
    '99 Giant Iguana SE
    '86 4Runner
    '86 SVO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kchri
    Stone IPA anyone?

Very nice riding guys. Never been there but there are some sections down here in COS that probably compare. Maybe climbing the cobblestone section in Palmer off Templeton...
    I think I know what you're talking about...is it a jog off Edna Mae? Burly little piece that is for sure.

How about that piece over on Templeton...opposite side of the park (from what you described) up above Austin Bluffs. I call it "The Waterfall". Going counterclockwise as you approach the ground is level and then you hit a brutal triple lift. I've yet to make that one.

Anyhow...fellas on vid. Nice riding, totally my cup of tea. The sad thing is...as always, if you've never been there (I've not)...I'm sure the video just doesn't do it justice.
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Nice Work!

As some others have said, I heard people claim they've done it, I've read several posts on here in the past, but never any video to prove it til now. Great work guys and what a blast that must have been. Firch and I have sessioned it a few times, we knew it was possible, but it would take one hell of a ride. Gonna have to get out there again soon and try.

The next thing I'd like to see is to make it from the dry creek crossing below (I think 2 waterbars down), that's a pretty challenging section as well leading up to the wall, doable, but to link all of it would certainly be an extra challenge and accomplishment, but not to diminish what you did, that is awesome!!!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by arborider
    <snip>
    The next thing I'd like to see is to make it from the dry creek crossing below (I think 2 waterbars down), that's a pretty challenging section as well leading up to the wall, doable, but to link all of it would certainly be an extra challenge and accomplishment, but not to diminish what you did, that is awesome!!!
    If those guys climbed "The Wall" and didn't do that lower section, then I call FOUL!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Riding "The whole thing"

Years ago, before the stairs, the entire climb, from just before that little creek at the bottom till over that top waterbar, was pretty doable. That was then. Now:
    1. The initial waterbar is much higher.
    2. The stairs are there, in effect reducing your choice of lines. If a rider got off line,
    wound up on the left at least he could try to find his way back. Now you're forced
    to go straight up or just to the right of the gnarly rocky sections, which are much worse now.
    3. So to say the challenge is all the way from the creek to up over the last waterbar
    is almost a ridiculous challenge. Ask gotdirt how difficult just "The Wall" is.
    I'd say the defacto start is where Indecent Exposure and gotdirt started, now.
    Throwing in the extra sustained effort just to get to the bottom of the stairs isn't worth it.

We used to consider the entire climb "The Wall of Shame". I only saw one rider make the entire thing, only one. Meaning: I'd stopped at the creek, getting psyched up, when a guy came riding up, blew past me, up over the lower waterbar and kept going. I walked up to where I could watch his progressed and dam if he didn't just keep going, up up up then over the top waterbar and was gone.

Many others would get close but would spin out somewhere. Sh!t, even I could make it in thirds, pretty regularly. I only came close to making it from creek to top waterbar once, and that was just after the first 8 inch snowfall. We haven't had that yet, but if conditions are right (like it was that fateful day I rode Deer Creek Canyon Park in late November of 2001) it's like super traction. I rode all the way from the parking lot to within 2 feet of the top waterbar with no stops. It was just a grunt. Coming back down was a hoot. You really should try it.

You just can't compare attempting this climb now with how it was years ago. It's a completely different set of problems, both leg strength-wise, cardio-wise and luck wise. Anyone who might clean what we used to call The Wall today is accomplishing a much harder climb.
    Last edited by xcguy; 11-27-2007 at 07:03 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    It is nice to see someone make that top section from the bottom of the stairs. I have been close a couple of times but spin out on that last rock before the last waterbar. I have to throw in my 2 cents and say that a true cleaning of the wall starts at the creek crossing. xcguy said he has only seen 1 person make that whole climb. That is what makes the wall so great. It is not something that a lot of people can do. Someday I will make that whole climb...I just hope I have someone recording it so I will have proof

Why are so many riders such d-bags in not even attempting any part of the wall? I was out there a couple of weeks ago and was catching my breath at the bottom of the wall by the creek crossing when a guy rode past me and as soon as he got to the 1st water bar he unclipped and waked the whole way up. This guy was in great shape and didn't even seem to be breathing hard at that point. I guess some people just don't appreciate the technical aspect of riding.

mtbr member

dab vs. "break"

from a technical standpoint, i can get to the bottom of the stairs (where we sessioned that day) from the parking lot dab-free... but i can assure you from a cardio standpoint there is no way in h*ll i could start from the creek and get up the wall. by the time i reach the bottom of the stairs i have to stop and catch my breath (after checking to make sure both lungs are still there).

all this talk of the wall again is making me look southward...

Last edited by gotdirt; 11-26-2007 at 04:47 PM.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Hey! Where the f**k did my post go?

Thread Terrorist
    Getting past the first two water bars isn't that hard. Hell, I consider it about as hard as the earlier sections. Its all one big climb, from the creek crossing AT the parking lot.... where is the start started? I know the 'dry creek' crossing to the base of the stairs is steep and loose, but if we sessioned that, we'd all be bored (I know I counted at least 3 riders that made it to that point that day; I've made it to the stairs many times). The crux section isn't until the bottom of the stairs. Riding the earlier part, in my opinion, isn't any harder than most Front range little techy-loose sections.

The Technical win, is the section we rode.
    The Cardio win, is doing the whole thing, Parking lot to top, no dabs, including going through every aspect of the wall.

Thread Terrorist
    from a technical standpoint, i can get to the bottom of the stairs (where we sessioned that day) from the parking lot dab-free... but i can assure you from a cardio standpoint there is no way in h*ll i could start from the creek and get up the wall. by the time i reach the bottom of the stairs i have to stop and catch my breath (after checking to make sure both lungs are still there).

all this talk of the wall again is making me look southward...

I don't know, the new hypocritcal critic's will come out of the wood work... we'll have to start at the dry creek crossing next time....

Oh, and yes, track-standing is legal... its good to get that grey-area out of the way.... good thing I can do it all day long.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Hey! Where the f**k did my post go?
    I see it, its right here

Thread Terrorist
    If those guys climbed "The Wall" and didn't do that lower section, then I call FOUL!!!
    You can only call foul if you've cleaned the whole thing....

So far, we've set the bar (via Video)... Care to Challenge?

I heart the drops
    Taylor your a beast all those trials skills pay off on the climb
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    You can only call foul if you've cleaned the whole thing....

So far, we've set the bar (via Video)... Care to Challenge?
    Naaaah... I did it back before there WERE video cameras.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Like has already been said, if you hang out and work out the problem over and over, have the fitness and even more key - have the trials skills which few people have but most can learn - I'm sure there are lot's of folks who if they're willing to work hard, will eventually get it, especially if the section is fairly short. Put something like that in the middle of a 45 min grinding climb and say, "clean the whole climb in one shot" the results are likely to be different.
    That's not to slight some really nice riding though, just to point out that with persistence and effort, most people are capable of pulling off difficult things. Sad to say though, most people in this country won't get off their couch, let alone get on a bike......

Thread Terrorist
    Naaaah... I did it back before there WERE video cameras.
    Yeah yeah yeah, I stopped counting the times you made it up that.... stop rubbing it in

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    Like has already been said, if you hang out and work out the problem over and over, have the fitness and even more key - have the trials skills which few people have but most can learn - I'm sure there are lot's of folks who if they're willing to work hard, will eventually get it, especially if the section is fairly short. Put something like that in the middle of a 45 min grinding climb and say, "clean the whole climb in one shot" the results are likely to be different.
    That's not to slight some really nice riding though, just to point out that with persistence and effort, most people are capable of pulling off difficult things. Sad to say though, most people in this country won't get off their couch, let alone get on a bike......
    I took that approach 3 years ago on Apex. Bottom to top, no dabs.

No video camera either...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Waterbars

I haven't been to Deer Creek Canyon Park since spring this year (a right knee that just won't let me ride like I want, so it's easier stuff this year) so maybe my memory has gotten foggy, but speaking of waterbars:

There's that first high one after riding from the parking lot for maybe 6 minutes, maybe some inconsequential ones here and there for the next ten minutes, then there's the turnoff to the right of that hiker-only trail, then you approach The WOS. It's obvious, looming in the distance.

You get to what I've always called the '"little creek crossing". I used to stop there to see if anyone would either give it hel! or just start pushing their bikes. Years ago I think more riders gave it a shot because it was much more doable. From that spot there's two waterbars, the lower one that is much higher now to get over and the upper one. So two waterbars on what we used to call The WOS.

It seems people here are alluding to other waterbars and other stream crossings but what I've described is how I've always pictured this climb. On any weekend there used to be tens of riders lining up to take their turn. The official attempt started at that point. Anyone who rode up on us and just kept going without stopping definitely got extra credit but that wasn't really what we would all call an official attempt, that was just nuts.

So, Taylor, a video of you (and hopefully others) cleaning what I've described would shut up anyone complaining. But this isn't some lame-ass challenge from someone who can only allude to how he rode it in the past (I really haven't tried it in years). The fact you've got a vid of you doing what you did is for me proof of a tough hard-fought success. You could just leave it at that.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I took that approach 3 years ago on Apex. Bottom to top, no dabs.

No video camera either...
    Then it never happened.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast